Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boundary Extension for City?

Options
  • 18-06-2015 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

So WLR have been reporting that a Boundary Commission is to be set up to take a look at the city boundaries to the north, ie. Ferrybank and on towards Belview. Will be interesting to see how this pans out. Considering the bad planning and the bad upkeep on behalf of KK CC over there I would imagine the boundary will be changed this time. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It's only just getting better over here as long as you don't mention water.
    Having the kk office over the library helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

Well considering they put the planning through for the shopping centre, I suppose they had to put something in there. It must be the most expensive library in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Not sure it will happen even if recommended however you never know Paudie Coffey may actually do his first useful thing since been elected!!

Out interest can the Government over rule objections from Kilkekny Co Co, now that Big Phil is gone and FG lost the seat to FF they probably have low chances of regaining it so it may secure Waterford if they get it past....

Considering one of the reasons for amalgamation of the councils was to increase Waterford Citys "critical mass" (thus Tramore and Dunmore East are now part of the metropolitan district of the city, I see no reason why a suburb of Waterford that happens to be in another county and less then a mile away as the crow flies from Waterford City hall cannot be incorporated into Waterford City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Considering one of the reasons for amalgamation of the councils was to increase Waterford Citys "critical mass"...

Yes that was the reason for the amalgamation!

• Advertisement

BBM77 wrote: »
    Yes that was the reason for the amalgamation!

Well it was one of the reasons brought up by the FG Councillors at the city hall meetings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

its a sensible thing to do in fairness, just like Tipperary might be better off taking over Carrick-begs admininstration, but people will pull out the relevant GAA jersey and bite of their nose to spite their face

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Always the GAA argument. Small minds

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

GAA would proceed as normal. Ferrybank play in Waterford, and players from that club can be selected for Waterford. Similarly Slieverue play their games in Kilkenny, and the same applies to them. Neither club has too much influence on county teams anyway, so it's a bit of a storm in a teacup.

It's not the only county which has boundary issues, but it's the only city which has this issue in relation to the far side of it's river.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭The Adversary

Been waiting for this for years. Hopefully it will happen this time, although it'll be the cult of Kilkenny GAA who will shout the loudest and ironically have the littlest to say and are in the minority in Ferrybank/Newrath

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Jesus, I hope this doesnt happen.... like if it does, who will waterford city have to blame for all their problems....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

robtri wrote: »
    Jesus, I hope this doesnt happen.... like if it does, who will waterford city have to blame for all their problems....

There will be no problems. It will be a perfect utopia.

You'd swear there was an election coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

We'll get compared to the Nazi's in 3..2...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

Junior wrote: »
    We'll get compared to the Nazi's in 3..2...

Genuine question... You think it is ok to take land belonging to a different county ??

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Genuine question... You think it is ok to take land belonging to a different county ??

When the other county is blatantly making a pigs ear of it and it directly effects Waterford City the answer is yes, yes and yes again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

What are you on about? Nobody will be taking land. The people who own the land will still own it. All that will change is medieval boundaries that have no practical relevance to local government administration today. Quite frankly Kilkenny County Council have brought this on themselves as much as anything else. As far as I am concerned the granting of planning permission for the Ferrybank Shopping Centre shows they are not fit to administer the area. So yes I think it is ok for Waterford city to administer the area.

The county based local administration we have in this country is way pasted it use be date. It’s a joke. Waterford city with a population of 46,732 has no local authority of any kind of its own anymore but County Leitrim with a population 31,798 has a full county council. For example west county Waterford should be merged with Tipperary county council and the Metropolitan district should be a full local authority. The Metropolitan district and west county Waterford have little in common in local administration terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

BBM77 wrote: »
    What are you on about? Nobody will be taking land. The people who own the land will still own it. All that will change is medieval boundaries that have no practical relevance to local government administration today. Quite frankly Kilkenny County Council have brought this on themselves as much as anything else. As far as I am concerned the granting of planning permission for the Ferrybank Shopping Centre shows they are not fit to administer the area. So yes I think it is ok for Waterford city to administer the area.

The county based local administration we have in this country is way pasted it use be date. It’s a joke. Waterford city with a population of 46,732 has no local authority of any kind of its own anymore but County Leitrim with a population 31,798 has a full county council. For example west county Waterford should be merged with Tipperary county council and the Metropolitan district should be a full local authority. The Metropolitan district and west county Waterford have little in common in local administration terms.
    I agree with most of that. I'm in that zone which is currently KCC but will almost certainly be switched to WCCC if there is a boundary extension. I'm completely against the extension if it's simply a matter of shifting the border a few hundred yards up the road. That won't solve anything and it's simply perpetuating what's wrong with the current system. I really don't see that WCCC will do any better than KCC at running my neck of the woods. It's tweedledum versus tweedledee as far as I can see.

However, I accept that the current division is outdated. Far better to radically reorganise the county system. The old counties can still exist, if that's what you're into. However, new administrative divisions are needed to reflect the modern world. 100 years ago, most of us travelled little so it made sense to have us divided into small counties for local government purposes. The country is much smaller today. Now we often live miles from where we work, shop etc. Why not have one "county" for all of the South-East? Alternatively, copy the Northern system where each "county" is based around the nearest main town(though the problem there is that there are far too many "counties").

Ferrybank is Waterford... and that's coming from someone from the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

I'm from the area too, I know many(also from the area) who would disagree strongly. That includes me. Though, as I've said above, that doesn't mean I'm against a sensible reorganisation.

I'm from the area too, I know many(also from the area) who would disagree strongly. That includes me. Though, as I've said above, that doesn't mean I'm against a sensible reorganisation.
    Push the border up as far as the golf course and include Newrath.
    All though I'd be firmly Waterford I can never see it happening to be honest because any debates always end in GAA style mudslinging which both sides are guilty of. I think it should be put to a vote to the people of Ferrybank, I think too often the debate is muddied from people from Waterford City and other parts of South Kilkenny. Obviously places like Slieverue and Mooncoin are Kilkenny, but Ferrybank is a special case and I don't think anyone would deny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Push the border up as far as the golf course and include Newrath.
    All though I'd be firmly Waterford I can never see it happening to be honest because any debates always end in GAA style mudslinging which both sides are guilty of. I think it should be put to a vote to the people of Ferrybank, I think too often the debate is muddied from people from Waterford City and other parts of South Kilkenny. Obviously places like Slieverue and Mooncoin are Kilkenny, but Ferrybank is a special case and I don't think anyone would deny that.
    Very true! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

I would imagine the sensible thing to do would to include all lands inside the bypass over there in Waterford administrative area.

jayboi wrote: »
    I would imagine the sensible thing to do would to include all lands inside the bypass over there in Waterford administrative area.
    In an ideal world yes. But that would include Slieverue/Mullinabro and the amount of resistance in those areas would be absolutely fierce. It'd never happen in a million years. The entire village of Ferrybank and Newrath and be done with it.

Thats how the Guards do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Thats how the Guards do it.

Id imagine the fire service as well. Is the any rational reason against that doesn't involve GAA?

ferrybank is currently KK so no matter what you think its not...

this is about who would be best to administer the area...

is this something just Waterford Council are considering?? or is KK involved or is there an external Boundry commision?

Id imagine the fire service as well. Is the any rational reason against that doesn't involve GAA?

Fire service go a good bit up the M9 ... first exit I believe.... if Heathen is around he can answer that better than me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

is this something just Waterford Council are considering?? or is KK involved or is there an external Boundry commision?

External
    ferrybank is currently KK so no matter what you think its not...

If it's KK then why were they happy to sell land to Waterford?

Advertisement