Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

Boundary Extension for City?

1246734

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 26,560 ✭✭✭✭ Wanderer78


    ....and to top it all off, kilkenny are crap at hurling!


    ....outta here! :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭ fuzzy dunlop


    robtri wrote: »
    Interesting that, there is a thread here with a few pages of how Wcc have screwed up the demolition of them so far, so in fairness I say planning is not a strong point for them...

    It could be called the port of Dublin for all it matters, To date it has been under Kcc control and planning has been fine down there, been very beneficial for the area and supporting local employed, so I would say they have had a big hand in building it up....

    see this is where blind blinkers come into play, I don't think i have once said Kcc should or should not retain control of the area. But it is great how you jump to conclusions.... is that a gold medal for the long jump :)

    And KK CC would do what? Send in the bulldozers? That wouldn't surprise me. They have history when it comes to decimating rivers.

    Blinkers:D Listen KK CC don't run the Port. The Port of Waterford does.And anything they do has to be applied for through the local authority which is Kilkenny CC. But Kilkenny has nothing whatsoever to do with the running of the Port. If you think they do then you are absolutely clueless. They built up jack ****. Its the Port of Waterford who has built up the port with their own and government funding. The only thing KK has built up down seems to be ghost housing and empty shopping centres.And btw its obvious who you're batting for so you don;t need to state the bleeding obvious. No long jump required.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭ fuzzy dunlop


    robtri wrote: »
    quite agree.. and i think that Wcc have done nothing for the parts they control over there....


    And what parts are they? This should be good:D


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭ robtri


    Blinkers:D Listen KK CC don't run the Port. The Port of Waterford does.And anything they do has to be applied for through the local authority which is Kilkenny CC. But Kilkenny has nothing whatsoever to do with the running of the Port. If you think they do then you are absolutely clueess. They built up jack ****. Its the Port of Waterford who has built up the port with their own and government funding. The only thing KK has built up down seems to be ghost housing and empty shopping centres.And btw its obvious who you're batting for so you don;t need to state the bleeding obvious. No long jump required.

    your sense of righteousness is laughable....


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭ fuzzy dunlop


    robtri wrote: »
    your sense of righteousness is laughable....

    Not as much as your misunderstanding of the word righteous:D First job for you is get a dictionary!


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ wellboytoo


    There is no cure for stupid


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭ robtri


    wellboytoo wrote: »
    There is no cure for stupid

    sorry to hear that was the prognosis from the doctor for you.... ahh well
    chin up...


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    robtri wrote: »
    sorry to hear that was the prognosis from the doctor for you.... ahh well
    chin up...

    this thread quickly turned childish


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ wellboytoo


    Max Powers wrote: »
    this thread quickly turned childish

    You know something Max you are right, I should not allow people to get under my skin like the above ,not only that I should not waste my time on this and other forums talking to barely literate morons who wouldn't listen if you hit them with a hard thing. The solution is in my hands so bye bye Boards it has been trying to say the least but life's too short.


  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ Irishlad2014


    Dont forget to submit your submissions, they can be done online at http://www.waterfordboundaryreview.ie/makesubmission.html


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭ Max Powers


    Dont forget to submit your submissions, they can be done online at http://www.waterfordboundaryreview.ie/makesubmission.html

    I do some work in Kk and they are circulating templates for people to send to boundary commission, a lot of it is GAA jersey stuff, some of it sceptical about and other stuff open to debate but might be worth sending in some sensible arguement stuff eg, lack of investment in area by KK, disgraceful planning decisions especially when concerning spatial strategy, poorly maintained roads on entrances to Waterford, mostly Waterford people in those estates, natural connection to Waterford through proximity, schools, businesses, hospital and other services, etc etc


  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭ wellboy76


    Max Powers wrote: »
    I do some work in Kk and they are circulating templates for people to send to boundary commission, a lot of it is GAA jersey stuff, some of it sceptical about and other stuff open to debate but might be worth sending in some sensible arguement stuff eg, lack of investment in area by KK, disgraceful planning decisions especially when concerning spatial strategy, poorly maintained roads on entrances to Waterford, mostly Waterford people in those estates, natural connection to Waterford through proximity, schools, businesses, hospital and other services, etc etc


    Sure thats only common sense. Basing your argument on the colour of a jersey is childish


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭ MRnotlob606


    The Annexation of South Kikenny must begin soon !.Send in Waterford colonists and civilise the area quickly.


  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭ Parachutes


    I'm from the area and I would love to see this happen. Not because of any identity bollocks, because I genuinely think it's the best for the region.

    I wear the blue and white myself but I couldn't care less if you want to claim me for the black and amber. Let's forget about the parochial, us vs them mentality and let's think about what's best for Waterford.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ obezyana


    Parachutes wrote: »
    I'm from the area and I would love to see this happen. Not because of any identity bollocks, because I genuinely think it's the best for the region.

    I wear the blue and white myself but I couldn't care less if you want to claim me for the black and amber. Let's forget about the parochial, us vs them mentality and let's think about what's best for Waterford.

    Post that on the Facebook page The Republic of South Kilkenny and wait for the abuse. Given some of the bogeys posting against the boundary change on that page maybe it's best if us good fairing Waterford folk don't invade the South sure we can't be associating with things like that :D Seriously tho I think they feel it's the apocalypse coming.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭ 7upfree


    robtri wrote: »
    no different than the utter disdain even posted here...

    besides the shopping centre what have they done wrong??? its not like Waterford CC have put any effort into there parts over there...

    this is just a money grabbing plan by Waterford CC to try to get the port and the revenues generated there.

    Both Waterford and KK do not have ferrybank or its people best interests at heart....

    Quotes of seven and a half thousand people live there. Most of the, at this stage, Waterford City people. This is an electron stunt and won't happen now. But it WILL happen eventually. It is inevitable. No matter what screeching they do.


  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ comeraghs


    Jan 15th is the last date of submission folks so try & get yours in & see what we can do to help Waterford develop sensibly!

    C&Ping this from https://www.facebook.com/Waterford-City-County-Ireland-1488943764699629/?ref=hl

    The economic development of Waterford City & its environs in South Kilkenny needs to be prioritized over medieval boundaries and sporting rivalries. A coordinated and integrated development plan will be safeguarded by this change of boundary that will bring planning & services under a unified authority.
    The completely inappropriate planning approval & development of a huge shopping centre in Ferrybank & the inaction by Kilkenny County Council regarding the provision of recycling & flood prevention schemes & road infrastructure proves that they have no interest in Ferrybank & Slieverue & Waterford Port other than gathering revenue to invest in Kilkenny town while ignoring the needs of the people of South Kilkenny & the services they need.
    Kilkenny County Council will insist that cooperation is the way forward but their track-record of underinvestment currently & over several decades undermines this insistence.
    Waterford presently suffers from unbalanced development with almost everything happening on the south of the River Suir. The only major move by Kilkenny County Council was a badly thoughout attempt to sabotage Waterford City Centre which backfired badly with Dunnes Stores realising that such an enormous development wasn't a commercial reality.
    Kilkenny's attempts to hold onto the area under review despite the fact that the vast majority of people affected were born, educated, shop & socialise in Waterford is nothing but a revenue gathering exercise & something that the people living in the area deserve better than.
    Making economic decisions in 2016 based on medieval borders & what hurling team you support is simply idiotic. This decision MUST be based on logic & rational & not on who shouts the loudest. It makes total sense that Waterford's suburbs & hinterland are administered from the City closest to it & not from 50 kms away.
    WHY OPPOSE THE CHANGE?
    I have seen only two reasons given.
    1 Up The Cats, Black & Amber, Blah Blah Blah! This really has nothing to do with the cold hard reality of life in 2016. St Mollerans GAA club in Carrickbeg play in the Waterford championship & provide players for Waterford as they are located in County Waterford, However as Carrickbeg is a suburb of Carrick-on-Suir town, similar to Ferrybank & Slieverue being suburbs of Waterford, services such as bins etc are administered by Tipperary CoCo. Doesn't that make sense?
    2. We've always been Kilkenny, Times change, We were once all part of the British Empire & that changed, Some Kilkenny politicians remind me strongly of Ian Paisley with his NEVER NEVER NEVER, well he moved with the times eventually & the Kilkenny politicians will learn to live with the new realities also. Their self-interest should not trump the wishes & best interests of the majority.

    http://www.waterfordboundaryreview.ie/makesubmission.html


  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ Irishlad2014




  • Registered Users Posts: 10,499 ✭✭✭✭ Jamie2k9


    Realistic it will never happen.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭ fricatus



    LOL, one word: "brazen" :D

    I'm surprised they haven't started referring to us as "rascals and scoundrels" and accused us of "skulduggery".


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭ Squidvicious


    I've yet to see a convincing argument that this extension is necessary.

    One common argument is that the City's development has been unbalanced. Clearly, that's true. At least 90% of the greater urban area is on the South side. Yet does this make any real difference? Will any new jobs be created because the next 1000 houses are built in Ferrybank instead of Butlerstown, say? The big ticket issues for Waterford are the University, the hospital, improved shopping facilities, IDA investment. A boundary extension will not affect these issues one jot. Limerick is also unbalanced with most development on the South side. Yet Limerick has developed rather more successfully than Waterford in recent decades. And Dublin also seems to muddle along despite being divided between 4 local authorities.

    Then there's the county jersey thing. Most of us feel an affinity toward our county. Obviously, this shouldn't be the over-riding factor in any decision. However, it's arrogant to dismiss it entirely. We're entitled to say that we'd prefer to remain with our county of birth.

    Anyway, Waterford people need to come clean with themselves on this issue too. The county jersey issue is a huge part of the reason why many Waterford people want the extension. This applies both to those living in Waterford and those from Waterford who moved "across the bridge". As someone from the KK side but who works in Waterford, I'm well aware of the low-level resentment from many in Waterford at the boundary situation. "Where would ye be if we closed the bridge?"etc.. Some of it's a joke, of course, but it has always rankled with some that Waterford's main city sits a few hundred metres from the county border. Some Waterford people simply want to enlarge their county. It's a county jersey thing for Waterford too. Be honest about it and don't pretend that we're the only ones motivated by county jersey considerations.

    Then there's the by now old chestnut about the shopping centre. Now, I doubt that anyone todays thinks that the shopping centre was a good idea. But to listen to some, you'd think that Kilkenny County Council built it itself. It was a development built by a private developer. AFAIR, it was approved by An Bord Pleanala, an independent, neutral group. Remember, in the early 2000's, it looked as though there would be large scale development in Ferrybank and there was a perception that new facilities were needed. This was the height of the Celtic Tiger and Kilkenny County Council is not the only Council to have made mistakes. One of the reasons why Waterford is so unbalanced is because people believed that "there's nothing in Ferrybank". Kilkenny County Council was blamed for doing nothing to facilitate new facilities in Ferrybank. Then, they allow new facilities and they get it in the neck for this too. Development contributions, unfortunately, were a factor in Kilkenny's decision. However, it is cynical to see the decision purely in those terms. A big part of the rationale was the creation of jobs and supply of services to South Kilkenny. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it's easy to criticise decisions made in the past.

    If Waterford was serious about developing the Ferrybank area, they would be trying harder to cooperate with Kilkenny. However, it's hard for Kilkenny to cooperate with a Council which every few years tries to snaffle some of it's territory. Kilkenny County Council has upgraded facilities in Ferrybank in recent years. For example, there was a major constraint on development due to a weak water supply which was recently upgraded at significant cost. Yet, Kilkenny could be forgiven for not wanting to spend it's resources on Ferrybank when Waterford is trying it's best every few years to take over.

    Hopefully, this plan will die a death. As I understand it, the boundary convention is entirely non-binding on the government whatever it's recommendations. Honestly, I cannot see a boundary extension making any difference economically to Waterford City.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ O Riain


    I've yet to see a convincing argument that this extension is necessary.

    One common argument is that the City's development has been unbalanced. Clearly, that's true. At least 90% of the greater urban area is on the South side. Yet does this make any real difference? Will any new jobs be created because the next 1000 houses are built in Ferrybank instead of Butlerstown, say? The big ticket issues for Waterford are the University, the hospital, improved shopping facilities, IDA investment. A boundary extension will not affect these issues one jot. Limerick is also unbalanced with most development on the South side. Yet Limerick has developed rather more successfully than Waterford in recent decades. And Dublin also seems to muddle along despite being divided between 4 local authorities.

    Then there's the county jersey thing. Most of us feel an affinity toward our county. Obviously, this shouldn't be the over-riding factor in any decision. However, it's arrogant to dismiss it entirely. We're entitled to say that we'd prefer to remain with our county of birth.

    Anyway, Waterford people need to come clean with themselves on this issue too. The county jersey issue is a huge part of the reason why many Waterford people want the extension. This applies both to those living in Waterford and those from Waterford who moved "across the bridge". As someone from the KK side but who works in Waterford, I'm well aware of the low-level resentment from many in Waterford at the boundary situation. "Where would ye be if we closed the bridge?"etc.. Some of it's a joke, of course, but it has always rankled with some that Waterford's main city sits a few hundred metres from the county border. Some Waterford people simply want to enlarge their county. It's a county jersey thing for Waterford too. Be honest about it and don't pretend that we're the only ones motivated by county jersey considerations.

    Then there's the by now old chestnut about the shopping centre. Now, I doubt that anyone todays thinks that the shopping centre was a good idea. But to listen to some, you'd think that Kilkenny County Council built it itself. It was a development built by a private developer. AFAIR, it was approved by An Bord Pleanala, an independent, neutral group. Remember, in the early 2000's, it looked as though there would be large scale development in Ferrybank and there was a perception that new facilities were needed. This was the height of the Celtic Tiger and Kilkenny County Council is not the only Council to have made mistakes. One of the reasons why Waterford is so unbalanced is because people believed that "there's nothing in Ferrybank". Kilkenny County Council was blamed for doing nothing to facilitate new facilities in Ferrybank. Then, they allow new facilities and they get it in the neck for this too. Development contributions, unfortunately, were a factor in Kilkenny's decision. However, it is cynical to see the decision purely in those terms. A big part of the rationale was the creation of jobs and supply of services to South Kilkenny. Hindsight is a wonderful thing and it's easy to criticise decisions made in the past.

    If Waterford was serious about developing the Ferrybank area, they would be trying harder to cooperate with Kilkenny. However, it's hard for Kilkenny to cooperate with a Council which every few years tries to snaffle some of it's territory. Kilkenny County Council has upgraded facilities in Ferrybank in recent years. For example, there was a major constraint on development due to a weak water supply which was recently upgraded at significant cost. Yet, Kilkenny could be forgiven for not wanting to spend it's resources on Ferrybank when Waterford is trying it's best every few years to take over.

    Hopefully, this plan will die a death. As I understand it, the boundary convention is entirely non-binding on the government whatever it's recommendations. Honestly, I cannot see a boundary extension making any difference economically to Waterford City.

    Limerick is a bad example. The council has control of both sides of the river (limerick goes east to west aswell not south to north) and there is plenty of development on the both sides.I assume you are talking about the west but a large amount of the population live there, you have Thomond park there, you have Pairc na Gael there and you have L.I.T there. Terrible example really.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭ BBM77


    ...Then there's the county jersey thing. Most of us feel an affinity toward our county. Obviously, this shouldn't be the over-riding factor in any decision. However, it's arrogant to dismiss it entirely. We're entitled to say that we'd prefer to remain with our county of birth.

    Anyway, Waterford people need to come clean with themselves on this issue too. The county jersey issue is a huge part of the reason why many Waterford people want the extension...

    You are entitled to your opinion on the boundary issue but this is complete and utter rubbish.

    The logic behind the extension is based on local authority principles practiced all over the world. Except in Ireland we are stuck with local authority structures based on medieval county lines which is beyond ridiculous in the 21st century. This is one or the reasons that this review was initiated for a number of areas by the government.

    When you talk about “the county jersey thing” the converse is also true. If the people in the area are honest with themselves they will see they have little connection with Kilkenny. If they did not win so many All Ireland’s would they so quick to call themselves Kilkenny. I seriously doubt it.

    Also what exactly would you consider a “convincing argument that this extension is necessary”? As far as I can see it is just Ian Paisley no no no stuff that is being spouted by Kilkenny people most of whom don’t even live in the affected area.


  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭ Squidvicious


    O Riain wrote: »
    Limerick is a bad example. The council has control of both sides of the river (limerick goes east to west aswell not south to north) and there is plenty of development on the both sides.I assume you are talking about the west but a large amount of the population live there, you have Thomond park there, you have Pairc na Gael there and you have L.I.T there. Terrible example really.
    Hardly terrible. If you look at a map of Limerick, about 75% of the city is on the South/East side of the river and the edge of the city pushes right up against the Clare border. It's not the same as Waterford but not entirely dissimilar either. Certainly, it's similar enough for Limerick to make many similar arguments in seeking a boundary extension into Co. Clare. Anyway, it doesn't deal with the other issues I raised.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ O Riain


    Hardly terrible. If you look at a map of Limerick, about 75% of the city is on the South/East side of the river and the edge of the city pushes right up against the Clare border. It's not the same as Waterford but not entirely dissimilar either. Certainly, it's similar enough for Limerick to make many similar arguments in seeking a boundary extension into Co. Clare. Anyway, it doesn't deal with the other issues I raised.

    I know you raised a lot of other issues but I am taking particular exception to this one, many of the north side of Limerick is within it's own boundaries but it doesn't develop that way, it naturally develops east to west. The main part of the city, if you have ever been there, is on the east of the Shannon and the city extends out west across the Shannon from there. If you want to compare it to Waterford then do not talk about the North side of Limerick, talk about the west side which is within it's boundary. If Clare county council had control of the land directly over the Shannon to the west then we could talk, but they don't.


  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭ Squidvicious


    BBM77 wrote: »
    You are entitled to your opinion on the boundary issue but this is complete and utter rubbish.

    The logic behind the extension is based on local authority principles practiced all over the world. This is one or the reasons that this review was initiated for a number of areas by the government.

    When you talk about “the county jersey thing” the converse is also true. If the Except in Ireland we are stuck with local authority structures based on medieval county lines which is beyond ridiculous in the 21st century.people in the area are honest with themselves they will see they have little connection with Kilkenny. If they did not win so many All Ireland’s would they so quick to call themselves Kilkenny. I seriously doubt it.

    Also what exactly would you consider a “convincing argument that this extension is necessary”? As far as I can see it is just Ian Paisley no no no stuff that is being spouted by Kilkenny people most of whom don’t even live in the affected area.

    I agree 100%. I accept that our boundaries need updating. However, they should be reviewed wholesale and not by merely moving an outdated medieval boundary a mile or two here and there. If you want logical change, why not do what they did in the North and do away with county boundaries altogether and base divisions on the nearest main town? I'd have no difficulty with that though the downside is that it would probably create a number of new "county" structures. Even better, have 6 or 7 regional bodies instead of, is it 31 counties including the Dublin counties etc,, which would save a lot of money. That would make a real economic difference. And the old county boundaries would remain for those of us who are attached to them just like they do in the North but they would no longer have any administrative significance. If we're serious about doing away with medieval boundaries we need a bit of imagination instead of merely shifting those medieval boundaries a mile or two.

    In my book, a convincing argument is firm evidence that the extension will provide real economic benefits.


  • Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭ Deise Vu


    I agree 100%. I accept that our boundaries need updating. However, they should be reviewed wholesale and not by merely moving an outdated medieval boundary a mile or two here and there. If you want logical change, why not do what they did in the North and do away with county boundaries altogether and base divisions on the nearest main town? I'd have no difficulty with that though the downside is that it would probably create a number of new "county" structures. Even better, have 6 or 7 regional bodies instead of, is it 31 counties including the Dublin counties etc,, which would save a lot of money. That would make a real economic difference. And the old county boundaries would remain for those of us who are attached to them just like they do in the North but they would no longer have any administrative significance. If we're serious about doing away with medieval boundaries we need a bit of imagination instead of merely shifting those medieval boundaries a mile or two.

    In my book, a convincing argument is firm evidence that the extension will provide real economic benefits.

    Whether you agree with it or not, it is planning dogma to keep shopping in City Centres in order to bring in people and keep cities alive. There have been several attempts by developers to get shopping centres onto the Waterford Outer Ring Road which have been rejected out of hand by the City Council such as the now vacant de facto halting site extension that cost a developer (and now the taxpayer via NAMA) €42M and there was also the ejection of TK Maxx from the Butlerstown complex.

    Despite this dogma being rigidly enforced by WCC, KCC decided it would be a good idea to allow a massive complex into the suburbs of Ferrybank, conveniently close to Waterford but inside the existing KCC boundary so the rates would go to Kilkenny in case, God forbid, any of it would get spent in Ferrybank. That site is now a massive white elephant. Taxpayers are picking up the tab via NAMA and there are no rates being collected because it is vacant.

    If that not convincing enough argument that KCC planners shouldn't be left near Ferrybank, maybe it will reassure you that the GAA has already indicated that it will not recognise any boundary changes in Waterford or anywhere else and the current GAA map is set in stone. I mean lets get the important stuff sorted first.


  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ Irishlad2014




  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭ Squidvicious


    Deise Vu wrote: »
    Whether you agree with it or not, it is planning dogma to keep shopping in City Centres in order to bring in people and keep cities alive. There have been several attempts by developers to get shopping centres onto the Waterford Outer Ring Road which have been rejected out of hand by the City Council such as the now vacant de facto halting site extension that cost a developer (and now the taxpayer via NAMA) €42M and there was also the ejection of TK Maxx from the Butlerstown complex.

    Despite this dogma being rigidly enforced by WCC, KCC decided it would be a good idea to allow a massive complex into the suburbs of Ferrybank, conveniently close to Waterford but inside the existing KCC boundary so the rates would go to Kilkenny in case, God forbid, any of it would get spent in Ferrybank. That site is now a massive white elephant. Taxpayers are picking up the tab via NAMA and there are no rates being collected because it is vacant.

    If that not convincing enough argument that KCC planners shouldn't be left near Ferrybank, maybe it will reassure you that the GAA has already indicated that it will not recognise any boundary changes in Waterford or anywhere else and the current GAA map is set in stone. I mean lets get the important stuff sorted first.

    First, I'm not actually all that bothered about hurling. I've been to two matches in my life. I would just prefer to remain in Co.Kilkenny. You may not understand that but many others do. There's a similar boundary extension controversy in Athlone. 25,000 people put in submissions and many people on the Roscommon side are vehemently opposed. It's not just a South Kilkenny issue. As I said, this shouldn't be the over-riding factor, but it is arrogant to dismiss it completely. That said, perhaps it might be possible for the extended area to remain officially part of Co. Kilkenny but administered By Waterford? Maybe there's a way of squaring the circle?

    There are out-of-town and suburban shopping centres all over the world. Some develop at the expense of traditional city centres, some don't. Personally, I think that traditional city centres ought to be preserved. That's not a universal view, however. Some prefer the convenience of modern suburban/out of town centres and couldn't care less if Main Street becomes a ghost town. It may be a dogma in Waterford but not everywhere.

    As I said, hindsight is a wonderful thing. I've made my arguments as to why the Ferrybank Shopping Centre, though a failure, did not look so crazy before the demise of the Celtic Tiger. We've all seen how often An Bord Pleanala stepped in to stymie development in Waterford on many occasions, however, they didn't stop the Ferrybank development. An Bord Pleanala is an neutral body. If it was such a bad move why didn't they stop it? One of the reasons why people were slow to move to Ferrybank was the lack of shopping facilities. Ferrybank shopping centre could have been a catalyst for Ferrybank's development. Time has proven that this was a flawed concept. That wasn't so obvious 15 years ago and it might even have worked without the worst recession since the 1930's. Perhaps a successful shopping centre in Ferrybank could have reduced the leak of shoppers to the likes of Cork and Dublin which is a problem for all of us in the South-East.

    As for the developer. Well, that's somebody else who thought it could work.

    I still see no obvious economic benefit to Waterford City in having more houses built in Ferrybank as opposed to, say, Logloss which is the only difference that I can see happening if the extension goes ahead.

    I'd much prefer to see counties joining together in regions. The joint bid for the City of culture gives a bit of hope. The South-East has been left behind, partly because we're always fighting with one another. This region has so much to offer and I'd love to see us all working together. Of course, if we were united under one body, they'd be one hell of a battle to see where the "capital" would be!!!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭ BBM77


    ...That said, perhaps it might be possible for the extended area to remain officially part of Co. Kilkenny but administered By Waterford? ...

    That is all that has ever been suggested. Waterford has never being trying to turn Kilkenny people in Waterford people. That is just something that has been spouted by the no no no-ers.


Advertisement