Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Eircom announced yesterday on the Wholesale website - http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Techbytes/eircom-wholesale-brings-high-speed-broadband-to-6690-additional-premises-nationwide/ - a list of additional areas where high spped broadband is available. These included Carrigtwohill Exchange in Cork and Walkinstown Cab in Dublin. #fibreislive tweeted same news this morning - yet on checking Where and When map on Eircom Wholesale website CHT1_E01 and WAL1_040 are still showing blue i.e. Fibre Build commenced Completion work is in progress.

The questions I pose - "are the announcements on Tech Bytes and Tweets PR spin" and "is the rollout so disjointed that there is no clear picture of what area has fibre and what area has not" - if you get my meaning.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Hibrasil wrote: »
    Eircom announced yesterday on the Wholesale website - http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Techbytes/eircom-wholesale-brings-high-speed-broadband-to-6690-additional-premises-nationwide/ - a list of additional areas where high spped broadband is available. These included Carrigtwohill Exchange in Cork and Walkinstown Cab in Dublin. #fibreislive tweeted same news this morning - yet on checking Where and When map on Eircom Wholesale website CHT1_E01 and WAL1_040 are still showing blue i.e. Fibre Build commenced Completion work is in progress.

The questions I pose - "are the announcements on Tech Bytes and Tweets PR spin" and "is the rollout so disjointed that there is no clear picture of what area has fibre and what area has not" - if you get my meaning.:confused:

The wholesale tweets and announcements are usually fairly accurate.
    The map on the other hand often falls behind and doesn't get updated as quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

The maps are updated once a month, in a batch. There is a weekly update of lines that are prequalled for VDSL/FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

jd wrote: »
    The maps are updated once a month, in a batch. There is a weekly update of lines that are prequalled for VDSL/FTTH

Thanks for clarification.

The weekly update of lines prequalled is on Tech Bytes / Twitter I presume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭jd

Thanks for clarification.

The weekly update of lines prequalled is on Tech Bytes / Twitter I presume?
    I presume that's what eircom wholesale are tweeting. AFAIR, there is a monthly programme report down to cabinet level released by eircom wholesale to other telcos/isps, this is used to update the map, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,851 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

got a message from them on Twitter that they're hopeful the Comreg issue will be sorted in the next few weeks. Also heard from someone close to Comreg that they were making a decision this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭mailsanchu

loyatemu wrote: »
    got a message from them on Twitter that they're hopeful the Comreg issue will be sorted in the next few weeks. Also heard from someone close to Comreg that they were making a decision this week.

Is that comreg source reliable ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭BandMember

What will this mean for Eircom's rollout? (Sorry for my ignorance on this but I'm not sure what exactly they are deciding on)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Looks like ComReg have given approval to launch EVDSL….finally.

They have published an information notice

comreg.ie/publications/approval_for_amendment_to_technical_standards_to_allow_evdsl_services.583.104839.p.html

They also publish the results of the TNO report that concludes there will be no impact on the downstream speeds but will have potentially have an impact in the upstream for a very small band of customers that are located in cabinets located in a very specific distance from the exchange. Looks like most of the upstream speed impacts are in the 20Mb to 30Mb upstream speeds. As the upstream is capped at 20Mb I would expect negligible impact to any customers.

comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1550a.pdf

Finally EVDSL is launched…happy days for many thousands of homes and businesses

• Advertisement

mailsanchu wrote: »
    Is that comreg source reliable ?

apparently he was, as it's now been approved...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

joe_99 wrote: »
    Looks like ComReg have given approval to launch EVDSL….finally.

They have published an information notice

comreg.ie/publications/approval_for_amendment_to_technical_standards_to_allow_evdsl_services.583.104839.p.html

They also publish the results of the TNO report that concludes there will be no impact on the downstream speeds but will have potentially have an impact in the upstream for a very small band of customers that are located in cabinets located in a very specific distance from the exchange. Looks like most of the upstream speed impacts are in the 20Mb to 30Mb upstream speeds. As the upstream is capped at 20Mb I would expect negligible impact to any customers.

comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1550a.pdf

Finally EVDSL is launched…happy days for many thousands of homes and businesses

Up to Eircom now to provide whatever Comreg requires before rolling this out ......
    it will come into effect once ComReg is in receipt of satisfactory assurances from Eircom regarding the processes to be put in place to ensure existing services and end-users are appropriately protected.

apparently he was, as it's now been approved...
    The reason i asked is i have been hearing the same news since start of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The rollout is flying along, my suspicion is its long sorted out and it just hasn't gone public yet.

Can't confirm without a list of LLU exchanges which I haven't found.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Eircom announced yesterday on the Wholesale website - http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Techbytes/eircom-wholesale-brings-high-speed-broadband-to-6690-additional-premises-nationwide/ - a list of additional areas where high spped broadband is available. These included Carrigtwohill Exchange in Cork and Walkinstown Cab in Dublin. #fibreislive tweeted same news this morning - yet on checking Where and When map on Eircom Wholesale website CHT1_E01 and WAL1_040 are still showing blue i.e. Fibre Build commenced Completion work is in progress.d:

The long wait is over for me. I'm lucky enough to be connected to the Carrigtwohill exchange. Just placed my order and install is taking place next Thursday the 18th. Will give an update once I get connected on speeds etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

All operators agree that the technical issues, pertaining to the risk of interference due to the introduction of EVDSL have now been appropriately addressed, particularly as Eircom has proposed risk mitigation strategies and committed to ensuring reported faults arising from CVDSL service degradation relating to EVDSL rollout will be resolved. However some operators have withheld agreement to the change to the technical standards due to other matters related to the rollout of EVDSL.

ComReg for its part has considered the issue in the round. We note that not all operators agree to the change, however we do not consider that the other matters raised by operators should delay changing the CLFMP.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1550.pdf

Anyone know what the other matters related to the rollout are?

Considering the technical reports published by Comreg yesterday is it possible that DF lines that pass by or through cabs connected to eVDSL exchanges may not be VDSL enabled due to risk of interference? Am I reading this right?

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/approval_for_amendment_to_technical_standards_to_allow_evdsl_services.583.104839.p.html

ED E wrote: »
    The rollout is flying along, my suspicion is its long sorted out and it just hasn't gone public yet.

Can't confirm without a list of LLU exchanges which I haven't found.

PM an email address. I have a fairly up to date excel sheet that won't upload correctly here.....

See COMREG 15/50, 50a, 50b. Approval granted somewhat for eVDSL, still reading atm.

Update:
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    PM an email address. I have a fairly up to date excel sheet that won't upload correctly here.....

LLU no longer matters, but thanks :)

So I(we) was way off the mark. Problem isnt vectoring(and LLU) or ER-ADSL being degraded by VDSL. Its VDSL on VDSL. Dont have time to try and summarize 50 odd pages of technical reports, but I think this quote really puts it all in perspective. Bold is mine.
    TNO has performed studies showing this mutual impact: VDSL2/Ex(eFibre from the exchange) will have
    negative impact on VDSL2/Cab(eFibre from cab, what we mainly have now) in the upstream direction and VDSL2/Cab will have
    negative impact on VDSL2/Ex in the downstream direction. These studies are
    company confidential and therefore not public. ( :( )

Source: ComReg1550a.pdf

They've got the go ahead to roll out EVDSL, as soon as they satisfy comreg as to what they'll do to prevent issues and deal with those they do see. Considering the amount already launched I suspect Topology 1 (direct fed nowhere near a cab) has been totally let loose, but Topology3 (Direct Fed DPs near to cabs) is on hold. Thats why you can have eVDSL "Launched" in an exchange but only a handful of lines allowed to order it currently, the rest are blocked by cabs in the surrounds.

Fascinating read(god this is me), great to have some explanation, but it also means its more complex to answer the question "I live at X, can I get it/will I get it?" as there are now a lot more factors involved. I'm hoping this will push eircom to begin network re-arrangement to take lines out of the "danger zone" and simplify things. Great progress none the less, onwards and upwards!

ED E wrote: »
    So I(we) was way off the mark. Problem isnt vectoring(and LLU) or ER-ADSL being degraded by VDSL. Its VDSL on VDSL. Dont have time to try and summarize 50 odd pages of technical reports, but I think this quote really puts it all in perspective. Bold is mine.

They've got the go ahead to roll out EVDSL, as soon as they satisfy comreg as to what they'll do to prevent issues and deal with those they do see. Considering the amount already launched I suspect Topology 1 (direct fed nowhere near a cab) has been totally let loose, but Topology3 (Direct Fed DPs near to cabs) is on hold. Thats why you can have eVDSL "Launched" in an exchange but only a handful of lines allowed to order it currently, the rest are blocked by cabs in the surrounds.

Fascinating read(god this is me), great to have some explanation, but it also means its more complex to answer the question "I live at X, can I get it/will I get it?" as there are now a lot more factors involved. I'm hoping this will push eircom to begin network re-arrangement to take lines out of the "danger zone" and simplify things. Great progress none the less, onwards and upwards!

That explains the questions I asked before, why Ballinasloe is live but only available on ~20 lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thankfully I'm between the exchange and the closest cab so I should be ok. Roll on the exchange changing from commenced to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Hopefully with this, there will be an increased focus on the auld network rearrangement. This will have several positive outcomes if done: direct-fed lines that pass cabinets or share lots of ducting would be connected to the closer cabinet instead of the further-away exchange. Shorter distance = less speed. Also, VDSL2 cabinet services offer a higher max speed.

The downsides: more work and investment in copper assets needed, especially for larger exchanges that may well be included in the FTTH rollout over the next couple of years anyway. Perhaps eircom will prioritise FTTH/FTTP in central urban areas near exchanges to circumvent the direct-fed problem, at least in the rollout to 66 towns. Eircom could prioritise shifting direct-fed lines to cabs in smaller to medium sized towns which aren't on the initial FTTH plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Finally the wait is over. Fibre is available for our company. About bloody time, that's all I can say!

Only 40 m/bit though...and we are only 120 metres from the exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Praetorian wrote: »
    Finally the wait is over. Fibre is available for our company. About bloody time, that's all I can say!

Jesus christ,.... what ? , thats terrible ???? Vectoring to be enabled yet ?? IF its that bad im mounting 4 g reciever on the roof and be done with all thsi DF lolygagging , Dammit Im moving this thurs Firday to a house only 350 meters fromt he exchange ( There are no cabs between me and the exchange ) dammit dammit dammit.

dbit wrote: »
    Jesus christ,.... what ? , thats terrible ???? Vectoring to be enabled yet ?? IF its that bad im mounting 4 g reciever on the roof and be done with all thsi DF lolygagging , Dammit Im moving this thurs Firday to a house only 350 meters fromt he exchange ( There are no cabs between me and the exchange ) dammit dammit dammit.

It's pretty bad, but the upload speed is 16m/bit. So really it will be a big improvement overall. I've checked 10 lines here so they are all coming up with 40m/bit.

Maybe you'll be luckier. Lack of vectoring is definitely a factor, but that sort of distance before vectoring was leading to 70m/bit from the cabs. Our lines are excellent quality.

I suppose it could be the reduction in frequency they are using? Or the result of the BT complaint?

Going from 18 x 2 & 12 x 1 to 40 x 16 (x2) is still a big improvement.

using the Vodafone line checker, I'm now being told 23.84MB instead of 19.53MB previously. Not much of an improvement but I'm guessing this is the VDSL speed (as Vodafone's checker takes overhead into account, I guess this is the 30MB package?)

Eircom & Digiweb's line checkers both confirm I can get fibre, but no specific speed listed. Might hold on and see if FTTH becomes available later in the year (I'm in one of the Eircom first-wave towns).

using the Vodafone line checker, I'm now being told 23.84MB instead of 19.53MB previously. Not much of an improvement but I'm guessing this is the VDSL speed (as Vodafone's checker takes overhead into account, I guess this is the 30MB package?)

Eircom & Digiweb's line checkers both confirm I can get fibre, but no specific speed listed. Might hold on and see if FTTH becomes available later in the year (I'm in one of the Eircom first-wave towns).

My number is ready for efibre. But maxNGBServiceCode is not changed and i am not sure about this property maxNRA

{ "ccb" : "E01",
    "completed" : true,
    "eee" : "MDN",
    "ina" : false,
    "inga" : true,
    "ingb" : true,
    "isRedCustomer" : false,
    "maxHSI" : "50M_15M_R",
    "maxHSIServiceCode" : "FCBPS",
    "maxNGB" : "24M_768K_RF",
    "maxNGBServiceCode" : "BMB24MB",
    "maxNRA" : "28M_16M_FR",
    "maxNRAServiceCode" : "FCBPS",
    "partialAddresses" : [ ],
    "phone" : "XXX-XXXXXXXX",
    "validationType" : "phone",
    "xbc" : false,
    "xec" : false,
    "xfc" : false,
    "xrc" : false
    }

Praetorian wrote: »

You'll probably do better than that.
    When my cab went live my prequal only 47.
    When the install was finished and the modem connected up, it showed 50/20 but an attainable rate of 102. I left it a week or so and contacted eircom on Twitter. They checked my line and updated my profile to 80/20.

I'm getting 76/20 solid since.

kaizersoze wrote: »
    You'll probably do better than that.
    When my cab went live my prequal only 47.
    When the install was finished and the modem connected up, it showed 50/20 but an attainable rate of 102. I left it a week or so and contacted eircom on Twitter. They checked my line and updated my profile to 80/20.

I'm getting 76/20 solid since.

My order has gone through I just have to wait & see! Fingers crossed. I'll report back here when we are up & running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

mailsanchu wrote: »
    My number is ready for efibre. But maxNGBServiceCode is not changed and i am not sure about this property maxNRA

{ "ccb" : "E01",
    "completed" : true,
    "eee" : "MDN",
    "ina" : false,
    "inga" : true,
    "ingb" : true,
    "isRedCustomer" : false,
    "maxHSI" : "50M_15M_R",
    "maxHSIServiceCode" : "FCBPS",
    "maxNGB" : "24M_768K_RF",
    "maxNGBServiceCode" : "BMB24MB",
    "maxNRA" : "28M_16M_FR",