Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Delboy5

{"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Anyone explain the above to me? Trying to figure out if im direct fed or not!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭gnolan

I contacted Eircom who tell me I am in a eFibre enabled area. I was told that I could expect 18Mb at the very maximum.

I'm 1.4km from the nearest cabinet and after running the python script I get the following results:
    {
        "ccb": "002",
        "eee": "SND",
        "xbc": false,
        "xec": false,
        "xfc": false,
        "xrc": false,
        "inga": true,
        "ingb": true,
        "maxHSI": "18M_5M_R",
        "maxNGB": "2M_256K_RL",
        "maxNRA": "18M_7M_FR",
        "maxHSIServiceCode": "FCBPS",
        "maxNGBServiceCode": "NGNBMB8M",
        "maxNRAServiceCode": "FCBPS",
        "phone": "xxxxxx",
        "validationType": "phone",
        "completed": true,
        "partialAddresses": [],
        "isRedCustomer": false,
        "ina": false
    }

Can anyone interpret these results and tell me if 18Mb is an accurate expectation of what I could get if I signed up for eFibre?

To give some context, my current speed tops out at a blazingly fast 1.7Mb/s!

EDIT: If it's any help my current line stats are:

Connection speed: 2045kbps Down 380kbps Up
    Line attenuation: 63.5db Down 36.2db Up
    Noise margin: 6.4db Down 16.9db Up

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Delboy5 wrote: »
    {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

Anyone explain the above to me? Trying to figure out if im direct fed or not!?

No NGA info in there at all, doesnt show a CCP so you arent through a cab, or if you are the prequal system doesnt know it. Good chance you could be DF with a 17Mb ADSL2 line.
    gnolan wrote: »
    I contacted Eircom who tell me I am in a eFibre enabled area. I was told that I could expect 18Mb at the very maximum.

I'm 1.4km from the nearest cabinet and after running the python script I get the following results:
    {
    }

Can anyone interpret these results and tell me if 18Mb is an accurate expectation of what I could get if I signed up for eFibre?

You're currently what they call "extended reach" aka lucky to get broadband at all.

SND1_002 is at Kilternan crossroads, so you're likely south of there? I'd count on getting 15Mb Down, 3Mb up. Any higher might introduce instability, youll have to upgrade to find out.

ED E wrote: »
    No NGA info in there at all, doesnt show a CCP so you arent through a cab, or if you are the prequal system doesnt know it. Good chance you could be DF with a 17Mb ADSL2 line.

Im guessing im direct fed too, exchange is approx. 800m away.....any thoughts on what speed id be likely to get!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭guil

Im guessing im direct fed too, exchange is approx. 800m away.....any thoughts on what speed id be likely to get!?

Check what the downstream attenuation is on your router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

{
    }

I'm guessing there's something in those results that say if you're an eircom customer or a reseller or on LLU but can you confirm, are you a regular eircom customer?

I wonder is the red customer bit for identifying LLU? Around 2007 I was going to get bt broadband and it was from a cab connected to the same exchange in df to now. Previously is said true but now it's false

Area code: xxxx
    Rest of number: xxxxxxx
    {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}
    Press enter to terminate

ED E wrote: »
    You're currently what they call "extended reach" aka lucky to get broadband at all.

SND1_002 is at Kilternan crossroads, so you're likely south of there? I'd count on getting 15Mb Down, 3Mb up. Any higher might introduce instability, youll have to upgrade to find out.

I'd be pretty happy with 15Mb down to be honest, but would just like to be sure that if I was to upgrade it wouldn't be something insignificant like a jump from my current 1.7Mb to 3Mb or something like that.
    I'm guessing there's something in those results that say if you're an eircom customer or a reseller or on LLU but can you confirm, are you a regular eircom customer?

Nope - moved to BT a long time ago and then to Vodafone after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

guil wrote: »
    I wonder is the red customer bit for identifying LLU? Around 2007 I was going to get bt broadband and it was from a cab connected to the same exchange in df to now. Previously is said true but now it's false

Area code: xxxx
    Rest of number: xxxxxxx
    {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xxxx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}
    Press enter to terminate

My original results are exactly the same - see below - and I too am a Vodafone Customer (previously BT / ESAT BT)

On 15/5/2015 my prequal read was - {"xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

However on 25/5/2015 the prequal read was -
    {"ccb":"013","eee":"LND","xbc":false,"xec":false,"xfc":false,"xrc":false,"inga":false,"ingb":true,"maxNGB":"17M_768K_RH","maxNGBServiceCode":"BMBS24M","phone":"xx-xxxxxxx","validationType":"phone","completed":true,"partialAddresses":[],"isRedCustomer":false,"ina":false}

My guess on the difference between two readings is - that I have been switched to a cabinet rather than being DF from exchange (cabinet LND1_013) - fed by exchange LND1_E01 which is undergoing the completion process of Fibre Build.

I think I was originally DF by other exchange LCN1_E01....could be wrong of course.

Idle speculation - but I am wondering if spare capacity has become available at the new exchange (LND1_E01) following the possible migration (or flight) to UPC.

Check what the downstream attenuation is on your router.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

That would put you at around 1300m away
    Which would put you at 18mbit down 5 up

yuloni wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I finally got a response. I'm direct fed as expected and the exchange is planned to upgrade the end of August. Nothing about the max range though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

tuxy wrote: »
    That would put you at around 1300m away
    Which would put you at 18mbit down 5 up

Possibly higher (24Mb).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Finally got a response from someone in eircom who found out why I haven't been able to get efibre from my exchange when it went live in the last week I'm on an older shelve in the exchange and I was told it will be moved to the efibre part over the next few months was hoping for it to be sooner than this.

jay93 wrote: »
    Finally got a response from someone in eircom who found out why I haven't been able to get efibre from my exchange when it went live in the last week I'm on an older shelve in the exchange and I was told it will be moved to the efibre part over the next few months was hoping for it to be sooner than this.

It's always a bad sign when Eircom can't give you an exact date. :(
    I wonder will this be a problem for many people.

A response from the fibrerollout site.

Your number is direct fed from a cabinet in the exchange, which is included in our deployment plan and the good news is that it is due for upgrade this summer with a forecasted go live date of July. For further information you will need to contact your preferred retail provider.

Kind Regards

Hopefully my number will be one of the initial ones to have fibre-enabled........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

A response from the fibrerollout site.

Your number is direct fed from a cabinet in the exchange, which is included in our deployment plan and the good news is that it is due for upgrade this summer with a forecasted go live date of July. For further information you will need to contact your preferred retail provider.

Kind Regards

Hopefully my number will be one of the initial ones to have fibre-enabled........

Got the same message from MAcroom

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

Got a response yesterday from the site. Doesn't give me any info other than saying there's currently no solution for my place unfortunately.

"Thank you for visiting our fibrerollout site.
    You requested an update on Wicklow specifically 04xxxxx.
    This number is direct fed by Wicklow exchange, as part of our fibre rollout to 1.6 million homes and businesses, we have developed and deployed a number of technical solutions which are used to deliver much faster broadband speeds for customers, offering speeds of up to 100Mb/s. Because we use multiple technologies, timeframes can be impacted as to when services become available to customers in a particular community. The solution for your premises is in planning so as soon as planning is complete we can forecast a go live date. Our fibrerollout site will be updated once this information is available to us."

Got a response yesterday from the site. Doesn't give me any info other than saying there's currently no solution for my place unfortunately.

"Thank you for visiting our fibrerollout site.
    You requested an update on Wicklow specifically 04xxxxx.
    This number is direct fed by Wicklow exchange, as part of our fibre rollout to 1.6 million homes and businesses, we have developed and deployed a number of technical solutions which are used to deliver much faster broadband speeds for customers, offering speeds of up to 100Mb/s. Because we use multiple technologies, timeframes can be impacted as to when services become available to customers in a particular community. The solution for your premises is in planning so as soon as planning is complete we can forecast a go live date. Our fibrerollout site will be updated once this information is available to us."

Genreic popycock and drivel ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

dbit wrote: »
    Genreic popycock and drivel ..........

What would you expect them to say?

"Not happening anytime soon because Sky/BT etal are a shower of ****€rs".:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

Response from Eircom about blocking my server's IP:
    Hi Michael,

Thanks for sending on your details. I have chased this with our online operations team and have been advised that ultimately the API is not a published API and its use by third parties is unauthorised and is contrary to our commercial agreement with eircom wholesale.

We understand that there is no intention to do more than offer the comparison you mention, however eircom do not provide third party use of its API.
    Thanks

They also seem to have integrated tokens into the prequal API trying to make it harder to access, this just makes me angry and even more motivated to get it working again.

Response from Eircom about blocking my server's IP:

They also seem to have integrated tokens into the prequal API trying to make it harder to access, this just makes me angry and even more motivated to get it working again.

SSO workarounds hmmmmm are they using SAml 2.0 tokens ? or pre saml2 i wonder, I haven't hit it up with Burp suite to sniff it, but fair play to you sir. Your a legend and so is your python script.

SSO workarounds hmmmmm are they using SAml 2.0 tokens ? or pre saml2 i wonder, I haven't hit it up with Burp suite to sniff it, but fair play to you sir. Your a legend and so is your python script.

example token: tv9zEFPm0wcpxOXnwmwjvicyTDofr008YFBa9Yn4dyo=

Looks close to base64 to me.

I believe the javascript that is generating it is available here: https://www.eircom.net/opencms/export/system/modules/net.eircom.opencms/resources/js/external/prequalWidget/prequal-functionality.js

but it's an absolute mess, also I think they're blocking access to that as well so I have a copy here

Do you know what the backing federation service is for tokens, ADFS ? or another sso solution ? Is there a way to gain a legit token and bitch it out i wonder (Re-use token we would need a way of gaining a vaild one periodically)?

Im no good in this for coding input and java so its double dutch to me .....

Do you know what the backing federation service is for tokens, ADFS ? or another sso solution ? Is there a way to gain a legit token and bitch it out i wonder (Re-use token we would need a way of gaining a vaild one periodically)?

Im no good in this for coding input and java so its double dutch to me .....

I shouldn't say token as it is generated locally on the persons computer using javascript, it's a hash, but because the Eircom engineer uses ****ing single letters for variable names, the code is virtually unreadable, security through obscurity really.

This might be kind of a silly question, but now that I know my line is capable of around 15Mb do I have to sign up with Eircom, or can I sign up with my current provider Vodafone - who have a package that would suit me much better?

This might be kind of a silly question, but now that I know my line is capable of around 15Mb do I have to sign up with Eircom, or can I sign up with my current provider Vodafone - who have a package that would suit me much better?

You can go with whoever you want but bear in mind you could be still in contract. Vodafone is the cheapest if you don't want phone calls I think.

You can go with whoever you want but bear in mind you could be still in contract. Vodafone is the cheapest if you don't want phone calls I think.

Thanks. I'm pretty confident I'm no longer in a contract but regardless, my current provider is already Vodafone.

So I don't need Eircom to do anything specific to my line that only they can do that Vodafone couldn't?

I'm not sure about saying that "Vodafone is the cheapest if you don't want phone calls".

That package I linked to from Vodafone is EUR55/m for
    • Unlimited broadband usage allowance
    • Unlimited landline to landline calls
    • Unlimited landline to all Irish mobile calls

That package with Eircom is EUR58/m for
    • Anytime local and national calls

I know that Eircom is EUR25/m for the first 6 months and and Vodafone is EUR25/m for the first 3 months but the unlimited landline to mobile calls is a big deal i think.

Thanks. I'm pretty confident I'm no longer in a contract but regardless, my current provider is already Vodafone.

So I don't need Eircom to do anything specific to my line that only they can do that Vodafone couldn't?

I'm not sure about saying that "Vodafone is the cheapest if you don't want phone calls".

That package I linked to from Vodafone is EUR55/m for
    • Unlimited landline to landline calls
    • Unlimited landline to all Irish mobile calls

That package with Eircom is EUR58/m for
    • Anytime local and national calls

I know that Eircom is EUR25/m for the first 6 months and and Vodafone is EUR25/m for the first 3 months but the unlimited landline to mobile calls is a big deal i think.
    The important part is the last bit of my quote, if you don't want phone calls.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Something to also note. If you're getting eFibre installed Eircom will install the modem and move or add a data port extension from the main socket to wherever you want it in the house (if possible and within reason). Vodafone cheap out and don't cover the cost of an in-house so the KN tech will replace and test at the main socket wherever it is and the modem is posted to the customer for self install. It may be worth going with Eircom for the first contract for this reason.

Advertisement