Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre for direct to exchange news?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭gnolan

Something to also note. If you're getting eFibre installed Eircom will install the modem and move or add a data port extension from the main socket to wherever you want it in the house (if possible and within reason). Vodafone cheap out and don't cover the cost of an in-house so the KN tech will replace and test at the main socket wherever it is and the modem is posted to the customer for self install. It may be worth going with Eircom for the first contract for this reason.

A few questions on that. What exactly does installation involve? It sounds like the main connection to the house will need to be replaced - is that correct? After that it's a matter of connecting to the new modem?

What exactly is a "data port extension" and why would it be beneficial to me?

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

gnolan wrote: »
    A few questions on that. What exactly does installation involve? It sounds like the main connection to the house will need to be replaced - is that correct? After that it's a matter of connecting to the new modem?

Thanks.

Installation for Eircom is testing the line, changing the main socket to a new filtered one, moving it if required and installing the modem where you want it.
    Installation for Vodafone or any other provider that don't provide an in-house is testing the line and replacing the main socket.

A data port extension is the running of a cat5 cable extension to move the data port so the modem can be plugged in some other place away from the main socket, max 25m.

Note, this is only on eFibre, standard ADSL does not get an in-house, the modem is posted to the customer.

Note, this is only on eFibre, standard ADSL does not get an in-house, the modem is posted to the customer.

From my line test results...
    {
        "ccb": "002",
        "eee": "SND",
        "xbc": false,
        "xec": false,
        "xfc": false,
        "xrc": false,
        "inga": true,
        "ingb": true,
        "maxHSI": "18M_5M_R",
        "maxNGB": "2M_256K_RL",
        "maxNRA": "18M_7M_FR",
        "maxHSIServiceCode": "FCBPS",
        "maxNGBServiceCode": "NGNBMB8M",
        "maxNRAServiceCode": "FCBPS",
        "phone": "xxxxxx",
        "validationType": "phone",
        "completed": true,
        "partialAddresses": [],
        "isRedCustomer": false,
        "ina": false
    }

I don't know if this would be actual eFibre for me or standard ADSL? If it is indeed eFibre then I'd probably do as you suggest and go with Eircom for the first contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

"maxHSI": "18M_5M_R",
    "maxNGB": "2M_256K_RL",
    "maxNRA": "18M_7M_FR",

The two in bold are fibre, the 2Mb is your ADSL. If you order the upgrade theyll come out to fit the new socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

gnolan wrote: »

Thanks.

In most cases, the main reason for a data port extension is due to the lack of a power socket beside the eircom master socket which the modem obviously needs.

ADSL modems were often connected to a phone extension socket in another room where it would have a power connection nearby or a phone extension cable ran under carpet etc. This set up will cause problems with eFibre.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    The two in bold are fibre, the 2Mb is your ADSL. If you order the upgrade theyll come out to fit the new socket.
    kaizersoze wrote: »
    In most cases, the main reason for a data port extension is due to the lack of a power socket beside the eircom master socket which the modem obviously needs.

ADSL modems were often connected to a phone extension socket in another room where it would have a power connection nearby or a phone extension cable ran under carpet etc. This set up will cause problems with eFibre.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure these are fairly fundamental concepts but I think they're a big help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

There is some really good information on the eircom Wholesale website. Appendix 10 of the NGA IPM outlines in detail the procedure for in home installations including the Data port extension. In fairness to eircom Wholesale they have a lot a great information in the public domain. Their transparency compares very favourably to other telcos across europe.

eircomwholesale.ie/Products/Broadband/Next_Generation_Access/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dbit

Hated liking that statement Joe_99 but it is very true . Whole sale seem to be trying to bridge the gaps and lifting the shroud of mystery from theyre operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

Had a KN netowrks chap in yesterday to install efibre (told it was avaiable when I ordered a new lline). I had told him I was direct fed and the exchange wasn't enabled but he insisted it was. I was hoping to be wrong, but he disappeared off leaving nothing, no modem nothing. I phoned the 1901 number this morning to fine out what was up and they said the engineer was incorrect and no fibre avaiable. FFS. Back to stage 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

ClonNGB wrote: »
    Had a KN netowrks chap in yesterday to install efibre (told it was avaiable when I ordered a new lline). I had told him I was direct fed and the exchange wasn't enabled but he insisted it was. I was hoping to be wrong, but he disappeared off leaving nothing, no modem nothing. I phoned the 1901 number this morning to fine out what was up and they said the engineer was incorrect and no fibre avaiable. FFS. Back to stage 1.

Where in Clon are you? I'm in Desert and I have Fibre now. Only 14Mb but at least its' there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ClonNGB

I am near the exchange. Ironic isn't it!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

any word from people, who never got broadband. Getting fibre? I live 1 mile from the nearest fibre cabinet. Problem is I'm on the " carrier " line, so most likely never get it, since the line are so outdated.

Earthday wrote: »
    any word from people, who never got broadband. Getting fibre? I live 1 mile from the nearest fibre cabinet. Problem is I'm on the " carrier " line, so most likely never get it, since the line are so outdated.

Until you get off a carrier you can get nada.

Had a KN netowrks chap in yesterday to install efibre (told it was avaiable when I ordered a new lline). I had told him I was direct fed and the exchange wasn't enabled but he insisted it was. I was hoping to be wrong, but he disappeared off leaving nothing, no modem nothing. I phoned the 1901 number this morning to fine out what was up and they said the engineer was incorrect and no fibre available. FFS. Back to stage 1.

One great big giant wobbly pen1s , you too have experienced the slightly more advanced version of the Tantric eircom appointment only this time some one actually came. Pitty on the out cum , lolz. Well im staying in Macroom and i just put money down on a new gaff , Ahem ahem 300 meters from the exchange lolz. ( Carrigaline rentals have gone bloody nuts over the Siro push. No joke everything is 1,000 1,200 1,400 and 2,000 - think ill just wait )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dbit wrote: »
    ( Carrigaline rentals have gone bloody nuts over the Siro push. No joke everything is 1,000 1,200 1,400 and 2,000 - think ill just wait )

Interesting. I know it is a pain for you personally, but I've long said that high speed broadband and in particular FTTH will have a positive effect on property and rental prices.

bk wrote: »
    Interesting. I know it is a pain for you personally, but I've long said that high speed broadband and in particular FTTH will have a positive effect on property and rental prices.

Eyyye Jim lad ya did indeed i do recall. Just didnt expect that to happen so fast and to take such a jump.

I am near the exchange. Ironic isn't it!

The old Order a new line trick has fallen flat on its face then I take it ?? Did you not recieve a mail same as me stating live by end of july ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Earthday wrote: »
    Complain to ComReg and eircom. Are you in the orange-shaded part or blue-shaded part of the map on this link?
    http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

tuxy wrote: »
    It's always a bad sign when Eircom can't give you an exact date. :(
    I wonder will this be a problem for many people.

True it's never an exact time frame with them they told me to check back in a few months and that it will be sometime this year . I hope many people don't have this problem I was hoping once the exchange fibre went live I would be able to get efibre guess not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Earthday

Complain to ComReg and eircom. Are you in the orange-shaded part or blue-shaded part of the map on this link?
    http://www.broadband.gov.ie/

darn! Just outside the blue-shaded, so yes I'm in the orange shaded part. Guess I have to wait see.

• Advertisement

IS micheals script borked now enitrely ??

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭MichealKenny

IS micheals script borked now enitrely ??

Yep, Eircom locked their API down a lot more.

Yep, Eircom locked their API down a lot more.

Bound to happen with all the chatter in here using it and it falling over constantly due to us hammering the damn thing. ( Errr at least i was anyway)

Ed E, the NGA is reporting 20MB from the new addy , are there any evdsl speed results in here as yet ? (17MB from the old addy)

Ed E, the NGA is reporting 20MB from the new addy , are there any evdsl speed results in here as yet ? (17MB from the old addy)

Theyre the same. eVDSL = FTTC VDSL2. No diff.

20Mb isn't a normal profile though.
    Stable/Multicast High Speed Internet
    Downstream Upstream Downstream Upstream
    85 20 100 20
    80 20 90 20
    70 20 80 20
    60 20 70 20
    50 16 60 20
    43 16 50 20
    40 16 50 15
    34 16 40 10
    28 15 30 8
    20 10 25 7
    20 8 18 5
    18 7 15 3
    12 1 12 1
    10 1 7 1
    4 1

It should be offering 25_7 or 18_5. Safe to assume you'd get at least 18_5 with much lower pings than ADSL.

Theyre the same. eVDSL = FTTC VDSL2. No diff.

20Mb isn't a normal profile though.

It should be offering 25_7 or 18_5. Safe to assume you'd get at least 18_5 with much lower pings than ADSL.

My bad i thought next gen access was ngb , i should have said my ngb test is 20MB from new addy closer to the exchange . So id guess i may see roughly 70-80 MB ?

Nah man. That could be 1200m. Try for 30 odd meg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭BandMember

Where do you find the name/number of your local exchange so that you can check it on those lists for when it is planned to be worked on/go live?

Nah man. That could be 1200m. Try for 30 odd meg.

Nah current gaff is 900 meters this new gaff is 350 meters away from exchange itll be far more than 30MB.

• Advertisement

Nah current gaff is 900 meters this new gaff is 350 meters away from exchange itll be far more than 30MB.

Ahh you're sorted so.

Advertisement