Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

On a bill plan here. The bill sim only plans are cheaper because the price if the phone subsidy isn't part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm with 48 Months. I've to pay for credit myself and I'm still in school so its handy, its cheap as chips for what you get, though anyone who uses a lot of data should probably stick with the likes of VF or Three for speeds, 48s are only middling

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm with 48 Months. I've to pay for credit myself and I'm still in school so its handy, its cheap as chips for what you get, though anyone who uses a lot of data should probably stick with the likes of VF or Three for speeds, 48s are only middling

i was concidering 48 until i noticed that you dont keep the credit you topped up with. meteor offer + the E20 credit to keep would probably equal or better the value of the deal compared to 48

Yeah I'd say so, I don't come close to ever going over my bill so its not an issue. Depends on your own usages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭seanin4711

MrsShah wrote: »
    I really hope some one can help.

I received my Lenovo K3 note yesterday. Finally!

Just wondered how to get the locations in my call log to change to English.

dont know the answer to your question but what you think of it so far?
    i have one in the post myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pistolax

Anyone tried the dealextreme eu site?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭2thousand14

My nexus 5 was stolen a few weeks ago so I'm thinking of getting a Chinese phone
    I want to buy an UMI EMAX but I am unsure whats the best way to go about getting one since I have never bought a chinese phone before
    Could someone help me out , wheres the best place (trustworthy) online to buy it, what is the story about import charges, does play store have to be downloaded, does the phone have to be rooted, or is this all done before it is shipped? and any other additional imformation
    Any help would be much appreciated!

My nexus 5 was stolen a few weeks ago so I'm thinking of getting a Chinese phone
    I want to buy an UMI EMAX but I am unsure whats the best way to go about getting one since I have never bought a chinese phone before
    Could someone help me out , wheres the best place (trustworthy) online to buy it, what is the story about import charges, does play store have to be downloaded, does the phone have to be rooted, or is this all done before it is shipped? and any other additional imformation

Check the OP.
    Check the OP.
    Ask whoever you buy from to do it, they probably will, don't pay for it. If they won't it's a fairly simple procedure anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

pistolax wrote: »
    Anyone tried the dealextreme eu site?

For your first post? what a coincidence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I did a pre-sale with this crowd:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1153179

Saw'em mentioned around here. Been reading up the phone again after the order was shipped. Seems they don't actually have the 800 band on 4G. It's the 1800 band that is more in use here anyhow.

I should have it by next week I reckon.

They ship to themselves in the UK through DHL then redistribute again through DHL from there. Appearenty it "should" mean no issue with customs. But sure I'll believe that when I see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 pistolax

RossieMan wrote: »
    I'm just wondering as I saw the op saying dx was credible so was just trying to find out if the dx EU site was legit or not

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

So, for anyone who remembers Chinese Android Phones 1, I finally got satisfaction from dealsmachine. They backed down and sent me a new phone with no extra charge and it arrived in 9 days with no customs fee, so fair play to them (eventually!)

I haven't had much chance to play with the P3000S yet but it seems nice and fast, bright and light.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

RossieMan wrote: »

2 years and no posts is even weirder :D

If anyone wants a phone with a great battery you cant go wrong with a THL 5000, in 9 hours it only drained 13% obviously that was in work with moderate use but my previous phones would have drained 40% in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭jeffk

My first and last experience with Chinese phones

Eventually settled on a Elephone p6000 from etotalk

• The list of adds on and extras to pay is unreal (cover/sd card/protector/rom/insurance/no stickers to bypass customs or try to/postage methods)

• Ordered Monday and Friday DHL got in touch, it’s en route and I owe them/Irish government €31

• Phone arrived in an unimpressive plain brown box (no Elephone branding)the phone was in a elephone bag with a two pin adaptor for a two pin plug

• Got it set up and running and was loving the phone, for a week

• Charging phone said this is taking ages, said maybe bigger battery and all that, no still slow (five hours slow)

• Went to flash back to a kit Kat rom and found out the hard way how to do it and restore IMEI numbers after much panic

• Still issues, emailed etotalk saying week old, takes forever to charge. I got back a tech minded email about some special way to charge it(take out battery, plug in charger, put in phone, then can’t put case back on)

• More issues, another tech minded email, this time about rooting phone and deleting battery stats bin file and a different special way to charge phone.
    No joy again, battery would be full and if you turned off phone to put case on, it booted back up half full

• Opened a PayPal dispute, asked for refund, told no and to keep emailing them

• Another email, asking what type of charger I used and to make a video so they could see the fault, bit impossible to video a phone not charging properly (how long is enough to convince them)

• Yesterday was seven days into ten days waiting with PayPal, etotalk just said reply to email, so I wouldn’t just get a refund and they kept the case alive

• After much running around today I got the refund from PayPal, I had to get a letter head from an post to prove you can’t send batteries in post (Chinese sites only use normal post as won’t pay customs)

I’m waiting a week and getting a Huawei G7 in carphone warehouse, sim free, cost is more, but it’s a physical shop and two brand names I know and hopefully trust

jeffk wrote: »

• The list of adds on and extras to pay is unreal (cover/sd card/protector/rom/insurance/no stickers to bypass customs or try to/postage methods)

• Ordered Monday and Friday DHL got in touch, it’s en route and I owe them/Irish government €31

• Phone arrived in an unimpressive plain brown box (no Elephone branding)the phone was in a elephone bag with a two pin adaptor for a two pin plug

• Got it set up and running and was loving the phone, for a week

• Charging phone said this is taking ages, said maybe bigger battery and all that, no still slow (five hours slow)

• Went to flash back to a kit Kat rom and found out the hard way how to do it and restore IMEI numbers after much panic

• Still issues, emailed etotalk saying week old, takes forever to charge. I got back a tech minded email about some special way to charge it(take out battery, plug in charger, put in phone, then can’t put case back on)

• More issues, another tech minded email, this time about rooting phone and deleting battery stats bin file and a different special way to charge phone.
    No joy again, battery would be full and if you turned off phone to put case on, it booted back up half full

• Opened a PayPal dispute, asked for refund, told no and to keep emailing them

• Another email, asking what type of charger I used and to make a video so they could see the fault, bit impossible to video a phone not charging properly (how long is enough to convince them)

• Yesterday was seven days into ten days waiting with PayPal, etotalk just said reply to email, so I wouldn’t just get a refund and they kept the case alive

• After much running around today I got the refund from PayPal, I had to get a letter head from an post to prove you can’t send batteries in post (Chinese sites only use normal post as won’t pay customs)

I’m waiting a week and getting a Huawei G7 in carphone warehouse, sim free, cost is more, but it’s a physical shop and two brand names I know and hopefully trust

Get off our thread then :D:D:D I know my phone takes ages to charge if I use certain chargers, were you using the elephone one or a older charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Did you read the other posts regarding that phone and the battery problems before you settled on it ?

There were several mentions of the issue in the other thread.

( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94439513&postcount=8877 ) for instance.

It is amazing how many people read the thread and even when there are issues with particular sellers/phones, they go ahead and order anyway, and then come on here giving out about the experience.

You bought one bad phone from a seller many on here are not particularly fond of, but you should not let it put you off buying another (better) phone from China.

Get off our thread then :D:D:D I know my phone takes ages to charge if I use certain chargers, were you using the elephone one or a older charger?

Im just leaving the feedback so others don’t get stung

Elephone, Huawei, didn’t matter, do as they say, then phone % would go all over the place

eamonnq wrote: »
    Did you read the other posts regarding that phone and the battery problems before you settled on it ?

There were several mentions of the issue in the other thread.

( http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94439513&postcount=8877 ) for instance.

It is amazing how many people read the thread and even when there are issues with particular sellers/phones, they go ahead and order anyway, and then come on here giving out about the experience.

You bought one bad phone from a seller many on here are not particularly fond of, but you should not let it put you off buying another (better) phone from China.

Read loads of posts/reviews and all I found was it might only last a day and I was fine with that

Battery life in that link, not will take forever and random percentage

I started a thread, it was ignored
    I asked in here and iseedeadpixles only replied
    I then seen numerous people on here about phone so said ok must be good so

I was recommended etotalk by a poster on here, was some issues but then people agreed other sites and sellers could have posted negative feedback

That, the customs, the lack of support, if it breaks you’ll have to pay silly postage to return, wait months and maybe pay more customs to get it back

Only get one chance to make a first impression as they say!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Read loads of posts/reviews and all I found was it might only last a day and I was fine with that

Battery life in that link, not will take forever and random percentage

I started a thread, it was ignored
    I asked in here and iseedeadpixles only replied
    I then seen numerous people on here about phone so said ok must be good so

I was recommended etotalk by a poster on here, was some issues but then people agreed other sites and sellers could have posted negative feedback

That, the customs, the lack of support, if it breaks you’ll have to pay silly postage to return, wait months and maybe pay more customs to get it back

Only get one chance to make a first impression as they say!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95419340&postcount=9635

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95419551&postcount=9637

You appeared to have ruled it out due to the camera issues, but then went ahead and bought it ?

• Advertisement

eamonnq wrote:
    You appeared to have ruled it out due to the camera issues, but then went ahead and bought it ?

The camera i could live with, it's a mobile phone, not a camera, only so good you'll ever get it

If you read my long post, it's all battery issues, that's why I wanted a refund.

No matter where you get a phone, who made it etc. Using it from 100 to 0 and then charge back to 100 is a basic thing, not a special feature

Im just leaving the feedback so others don’t get stung

Elephone, Huawei, didn’t matter, do as they say, then phone % would go all over the place

The laughy faces meant I was joking.:pac:

The laughy faces meant I was joking.

Ah I know that :) , I'm just saying done it all to get it working.

Would like to think people see my post as feedback and help when deciding before buying

The camera i could live with, it's a mobile phone, not a camera, only so good you'll ever get it

If you read my long post, it's all battery issues, that's why I wanted a refund.

No matter where you get a phone, who made it etc. Using it from 100 to 0 and then charge back to 100 is a basic thing, not a special feature

I wouldnt rule out another Chinese phone, ill never get another Elephone again due to the battery problems, I would advise to get a Jiayu or Lenovo and maybe try a different seller as I know a few on here dont like Etotalk, I use them because I'm impatient and they ship within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭savemejebus

It's a shame that you had such hassles that it's put you off buying another Chinese phone. I'm pretty happy with my P6000. For under €145 it has been a good fast phone that totally blows my previous android phone (moto G 2014) out of the water.

Sure it's not perfect, it does take a bit longer to charge (I use an iphone charger as i'd read that the elephone one was crap) but with moderate use I get 2 days out of it (probably 2 hours of calls, lots of texts & whatsapps) and on heavy usage days i'd end up with 25-30% as i'm going to bed. The camera is not great but moving way from the stock app helped that and once i took off the factory installed screen protector and put on a glass one any issues i had with the screen disappeared.

Incidentally, my one arrived very well packaged and in a nice Elephone box, if it had come in a plain brown box i'd probably have been super disgusted too
    7C6K7H_thumb.jpg

The biggest problem is that now i find myself looking at more Chinese phones looking for the next upgrade...

8vpS9S_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ayhar12

Found this thread while searching for my android phone problem.

Bought Lenove s720 a year ago from Merimobiles. Back then I didn't do much research, just thought I could get a better deal from Chinese seller so I did.

I didn't want to risk too much so I settled for under $100 phone without checking specs so on.

Then the phone arrived, excited, but there have been a numerous questions asked to the tech service such as how to set the phone with English.

As the phone is not popular, there aren't much rom available either. In the end I managed to set the phone to be able to use in English, but it still show "low memory" just doing a simple stuff. ( and I was told 525 mb is too low for today's apps)

Yes Its time consuming and frustrating, but in the meanwhile, I have learned a lot and even came across this thread!

(Although I am still not happy with my Lenovo phone, recently my daughter got Doogee phone and its a lot better phone, cheaper and reliable. No bloat ware, set in English from the start)

And off course I am looking into my next phone from China!

8vpS9S_thumb.jpg

Elephone send phones like that try avoid customs, it worked once for me.

Ayhar12 wrote: »
    Found this thread while searching for my android phone problem.

Bought Lenove s720 a year ago from Merimobiles. Back then I didn't do much research, just thought I could get a better deal from Chinese seller so I did.

I didn't want to risk too much so I settled for under $100 phone without checking specs so on.

Then the phone arrived, excited, but there have been a numerous questions asked to the tech service such as how to set the phone with English.

As the phone is not popular, there aren't much rom available either. In the end I managed to set the phone to be able to use in English, but it still show "low memory" just doing a simple stuff. ( and I was told 525 mb is too low for today's apps)

Yes Its time consuming and frustrating, but in the meanwhile, I have learned a lot and even came across this thread!

(Although I am still not happy with my Lenovo phone, recently my daughter got Doogee phone and its a lot better phone, cheaper and reliable. No bloat ware, set in English from the start)

And off course I am looking into my next phone from China!

2 GB ram and at least 8GB memory are a must now, I wouldnt go below 16GB myself.

• Advertisement

Elephone send phones like that try avoid customs, it worked once for me.

Funny they charged me say €3 to get a horrible box that wont make any difference if customs see it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement