Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chinese Android Phones 2 - Read First Post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Same here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Sounds fake to me, sorry you got stung like that.

yeah it seems it to me as well. I contacted the ebay seller who was full of apology and blamed his supplier. At least a refund shouldn't be too difficult but I'll likely be on the hook for postage back to China :mad: I asked him to replace it with a genuine one first so will see what happens
    spix wrote: »
    Mi Recovery isn't a phone app. To check if its installed, turn off the phone then turn it on by holding down vol+ and power button.

I tried that but nothing happened. The app on the phone I downloaded was called Mi Verifitcation by Antutu, it directed me to scan a QR code on a website which then came back with the result 'not a mi device'.

Anyway the battery issues on it persist so even if I thought it was genuine I'd still want to send it back. 5 hours to charge and barely getting a few hours light web browsing just doesnt cut the mustard. Back to square one for me :o

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Good post Satguy, I was thinking the Chinese Android Phones thread had gone a bit quite :D
    Ode to a great thread..

Chinese android phones , or non brand phones as they where when this thread was started were new. Only the brave jumped in, you paid $60, crossed your fingers that customs would not charge you with importing a counterfeit fake of some big brand phone,, in fact you hoped that customs would not see the phone at all..

Back then if you did get your phone, it lasted about 4 months before dying a smokey death, most likely you were glad to see the back of it, as it was about as much use as a brick..

Now, 10,000 posts later, things are a lot better, many sites now work hard to sell very nice phones, some phones are now brands in their own right, some sites are as well known as to us geeks as Amazon or Ebay, even PayPal are happy to jump on board..

This thread has come a long way in 10,000 posts..
    Well I was not expecting that thread to be so successful when I made it when I was short on cash and thinking about a Jiayu G3 a few years back, I thought a few people would tell me it was sh1te and to bite the bullet and buy a Samsung or something but it turned out to be a great little phone (apart from the old MTK crippled GPS issue), as did the Elephone and the Xiaomi note that followed, both passed on to family members who still love them to this day.

Unfortunately for Chinese Android Phones, while there was a bit of a golden age for a year or two there where you could save yourself a couple of hundred euro for equal or even superior performance (especially if you wanted dual-sim and/or a phablet), they have now once again been relegated to false economy territory.

This is due to the release of the greatest phone ever made and the reason I haven't bothered with Chinese Android Phones in months, equal or superior performance and build quality to all the other flagships for less than half the price with a completely superior battery. €299 gets you quick delivery of the 2014 Flagship killer which will also be the 2015 and 2016 flagship killer aswell:

The OnePlus One 64GB:

https://oneplus.net/ie/one

oneplus-one-front-jpg.18884

Absolute perfection in a device and after a years heavy use mine is identical to the day I bought it, still getting 48-72 hours a charge, screen is still glorious, runs everything perfectly, wi-fi hotspot that can encompass a whole house and serve 4 people as well as a UPC connection and router without sucking the battery dry. Run the GPS for 6 hours on a long bikeride in a fitness app like STRAVA and it only drops to 70%, I could seriously give up my laptop and get by on this phone no problem.

You should mention this in the first post OP, better to stretch to €299 on a phone that will last years with completely superior screen, GPS, battery, processor and 64GB built in than €200 on a phone that might be dead in 18 months and you have to buy your own memory for. I cant think of any other phone Id choose if offered free choice of any of them, it destroys the Nexus 6 in day to day performance and that came out a lot later. Great camera aswell which you can access quickly by just drawing a circle on the screen when the phone is off. Double tap to wake when the phone is off is another must-have feature for me in future phones that I never thought I needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Thargor wrote: »

Absolute perfection in a device

Not if you don't want 5.5" of screen though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

abarkie wrote: »
    OK but that's 5.5"

I am looking for :

5" Max screen
    4G - On O2
    Dual Sim

Preferably Snapdragon

Forgot SD Card slot also

Any suggestions?

Edited quote

Xiaomi M4 and Mi4i don't have a SD card slot

Nubia Mini Z9 doesnt seem to do band 800 for o2 4g?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

One plus one is perfection right up until i seen it being 5.5"

Id rather a phone over a tablet :L

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The OPO isn't too different to a 5", much smaller difference than between 4.5 and 5

After using its for a few minutes I was comfortable handling it. Two hands are necessary though

What about the touch screen issues of the OPO too though?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,863 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What about the touch screen issues of the OPO too though?
    99% of users will agree with me, I know 4 other people in real life with OPOs and nobody has experienced this issue. Send it back and get another if it does affect you anyway, they're in the UK not China.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Same here.

forwarded it on to the mods

• Advertisement

What's the touch screen issues? I don't have one personally (I've a Mi3, think I've mentioned it before :pac:) but I know a few people with it who claim its faultless

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrsShah

I really hope some one can help.

I received my Lenovo K3 note yesterday. Finally!

Just wondered how to get the locations in my call log to change to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

seanin4711 wrote: »
    forwarded it on to the mods

The shill account was banned before I even read it.

Got an email saying coolicool are having a flash sale on the 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭peaceboi

Does anyone here have the elephone p7000 or p8000? Can you share your opinions about the phone please, also recommended eu retailers to avoid the import & vrt duties. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

You cant avoid import duties, it's random luck. Snail mail seems to be the way to go, detection rates are lower than DHL.

RossieMan wrote: »
    You cant avoid import duties, it's random luck. Snail mail seems to be the way to go, detection rates are lower than DHL.

Some sellers offer no customs, though I think they are aliexpress sellers so no paypal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 4gs3gs

Can somebody recommend a phone based on the following please:

3gb+ RAM
    32gb+ ROM
    13MP+ Camera
    3000 mAh+ Battery
    Android KitKat or Lollipop
    Decent quad or octa core CPU and good GPU

Was considering Elephone P8000 and P7000 but the 16gb is slightly small...

Thanks

4gs3gs wrote: »
    Can somebody recommend a phone based on the following please:

3gb+ RAM
    32gb+ ROM
    13MP+ Camera
    3000 mAh+ Battery
    Android KitKat or Lollipop
    Decent quad or octa core CPU and good GPU

Was considering Elephone P8000 and P7000 but the 16gb is slightly small...

Thanks

OPO?

What's your budget

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Anyone recommend something cheap enough. Wife is off gallivanting for the summer and will need a smartphone (hates them and doesnt have one yet but realises she has to embrace it if she wants to be online at all while away!).

Android
    Size wise: Similar to Samsung S4mini (not too big)
    Budget: <120 if possible
    Decent battery (charging points wont be frequent!)
    Decent as music player (ie not too tiny sounding!)
    Ideally from an EU warehouse so i can get it by the end of the coming week

Going to connect her up with the 48 €20 plan

• Advertisement

Bambaata wrote: »
    Anyone recommend something cheap enough. Wife is off gallivanting for the summer and will need a smartphone (hates them and doesnt have one yet but realises she has to embrace it if she wants to be online at all while away!).

Android
    Size wise: Similar to Samsung S4mini (not too big)
    Budget: <120 if possible
    Decent battery (charging points wont be frequent!)
    Decent as music player (ie not too tiny sounding!)
    Ideally from an EU warehouse so i can get it by the end of the coming week

Going to connect her up with the 48 €20 plan

Go to the post office they have cheap androids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Leaving aside to OPO as I think it's just a little too expensive, what's the general consensus as to the best phone out there at the moment, or is the elephone 8000 the one to wait for?
    Thanks

Wang King wrote: »
    Leaving aside to OPO as I think it's just a little too expensive, what's the general consensus as to the best phone out there at the moment, or is the elephone 8000 the one to wait for?
    Thanks

The OPO was reduced by 50e last week, just in case you didnt know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Ive a 4 week old Elephone p3000s on adverts for 120 if you want?

Has this gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

i believe that sale is ending today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I did, but thanks for the heads up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,007 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Quick question about these phones if ye dont mind - what do you do for sim card?
    Are sim only deals any good or do ye go do the pay as you go thing?

Gizchina extremely quiet yesterday, not one piece of phone news, not even about elephone!

abarkie wrote: »
    Has this gone now?

Yup :)

• Advertisement

Gaspode wrote: »
    Quick question about these phones if ye dont mind - what do you do for sim card?
    Are sim only deals any good or do ye go do the pay as you go thing?

Im on bill just sold the S4 I had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement