Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! HL Maths 2015 - predictions, guesses, Q & A, discussion ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RoRo979

skippy1977 wrote: »
    I have to say I disagree. I obviously have no idea where anything will be but I'm not sure what you are basing the 'much higher' chance on, I've done an analysis on all the past papers and I'm not sure 'volume' has been asked in any Project Maths Paper 2, it has been mentioned once in a sample paper. Area has been asked on Paper 2 in Trigonometry but specific to the Trigonometry formulas of areas of triangles and sectors and not really what would be covered in a revision of the area and volume topics.

What if it does come up as part of an integration/ differentiation question. It will be too late. I would strongly advise anyone who is studying for Paper 1 to look at Area and Volume.

Evidence for:
    2014 Sample Paper 1 - Dimensions of a box given 2D shape, volume of a box
    2014 Sample Paper 1 - volume of a sphere, surface area of a sphere
    2013 Paper 1 - Trapezoidal Rule to find area (area and volume topic)
    2013 Paper 1 - volume of a sphere
    2012 - volume of a cylinder, area of a circle
    2012 - net of a cone, volume of a cone, area of a sector

Of course the above is linked to other sections such as calculus but I cannot see the rational in leaving it until Saturday to look over this stuff.
    Both DEB and Examcraft had significant area and volume sections to their Paper 1's.

indeed you could be right. This is just what teachers and my friends that went to Institute of education and dublin school of grinds told me. Personally i would be surprised if it came up outside strand 5 and even if it did come up most likely all you will need to do is get the formula from log book and manipulate it. On our course We need only know OL area and volume which isnt that extensive at all and not much relevant to most of P1. If you wanted to be fully safe yes it would be wise, i more prefer to study to more main topics and have geog aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

RoRo979 wrote: »
    indeed you could be right. This is just what teachers and my friends that went to Institute of education and dublin school of grinds told me. Personally i would be surprised if it came up outside strand 5 and even if it did come up most likely all you will need to do is get the formula from log book and manipulate it. On our course We need only know OL area and volume which isnt that extensive at all and not much relevant to most of P1. If you wanted to be fully safe yes it would be wise, i more prefer to study to more main topics and have geog aswell.

That's it, once people know the formula are in the tables they can adapt on the day to some extent, as you said the content is the same as the Ordinary Level, with the calculus where they up the standard (EDCO and Educate have some nice samples worth looking at). Best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Runmrun

Are inverse functions or equations of asymtopes on our course? Panicking as we never covered them

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Runmrun wrote: »
    Are inverse functions or equations of asymtopes on our course? Panicking as we never covered them

Asymtopes was on the mocks so I would presume yes.. but look it up online and you'll get loads of videos and stuff on how to do them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Yes, don't worry, they aren't too difficult...

Say you have the function y=3x and you want the inverse, just change the letters and isolate y again.

x=3y
    x/3=y
    Easily check your answers too, let x=1, so y=3

then put x=3 in the second one and you should get the original x value.. so
    3/3=y=1

Thank you! Are there any other questions for paper one that can come up that are not in active maths?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Remember that the function has to be one to one or on a restricted domain where it is one to one.

Is that for inverse functions?

I just looked at last years paper again, if something like that comes up I'm golden... here's to praying.... i need paper 1 to be nice.

Thank you! Are there any other questions for paper one that can come up that are not in active maths?

Inverse functions are in active maths, we did them in that book so....

https://www.folens.ie/sites/default/files/resources/ML5310_AM4_Bk%201_Booklet.pdf

Someone said that can't be examined/it's not in the syllabus but on that booklet it says for examination from 2015 and onwards... i don't know how likely it is that they ask it so..

• Advertisement

Thank you! I've got the hang of the inverse functions now..for some reason my teacher skipped over it :) it's just the asymtopes..I looked up the syllabus and they're not mentioned! I've never even heard of implicit differentiation until now

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes. Now that I think about it, it may have to be surjective too. So, reference your book and don't quote me on this! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

They must be bijective according to my book :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

Our teacher stated that Asymptotes are not in the syllabus, but he wasn't too sure on it so he contacted that Project Maths site and they too weren't sure... So it is a bit of a mess really. I assume they're not on it.

If I can get a C1 in Paper 1 I think I'll pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Thank you! I've got the hang of the inverse functions now..for some reason my teacher skipped over it :) it's just the asymtopes..I looked up the syllabus and they're not mentioned! I've never even heard of implicit differentiation until now

Implicit differentiation can only appear in the limited form of finding the slope of a tangent to a circle - remember that at a given point x on the circle there could be two different tangents due to two different y values - hence the rate of change has an x and a y in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Gandhai

Can anyone give me a list off all the proofs for paper 1 thanks :)

I think to find the asymptotes you just find the limit as y approaches 0? i'm not really sure though.... I got it wrong in the mocks and never really understood it.

An asymptote example

Asymptotes1.jpg

Hopefully we'll get a paper similar to last year as it was relatively easy, especially the long questions

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Nc123

Does anyone have the marking scheme for the DEB mock 2013 paper one? I just want the solution for the financial maths question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

An asymptote example

Asymptotes1.jpg

where is that equation for dy/dx coming from? Taking a peep and can't figure it out lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

What do ye recommend to look over? I feel pretty confident with Paper One. What areas do you think I should focus on tonight/tomorrow morning? Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Peg14

don't even know where to start with maths uuh

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Chef Tony

So how many people have their money down for a Long Question on Financial Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Chef Tony wrote: »
    So how many people have their money down for a Long Question on Financial Maths?

I'm hoping that there will be one. That and a long logs question and I'd be delighted. I hate having geography as well tomorrow. Won't have that much time to study for maths tonight :o Sure, be grand.

where is that equation for dy/dx coming from? Taking a peep and can't figure it out lol

Hey there, so the question asks if the function is increasing....so this has to do with differentiation as dy/dx will find the slope of the function. We use the quotient rule to differentiate and we can see that the answer will always be positive. This means for any value of x, the slope is positive and so the graph is always increaasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭MmmPancakes

Hey there, so the question asks if the function is increasing....so this has to do with differentiation as dy/dx will find the slope of the function. We use the quotient rule to differentiate and we can see that the answer will always be positive. This means for any value of x, the slope is positive and so the graph is always increaasing.

figured it out by quotient rule after seeing x on both top and bottom, thanks though!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Feel so tired about the English exams, thank god only Maths tomorrow, can't imagine someone doing geography in the morning and then Maths :O Hopefully the paper is as nice as 2014 was.

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Cr4pSnip3r

Said this in a separate thread but can anyone give me a list of topics and proofs, theroems etc. for Paper I? No clue :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

So anyone found out about that whole - attempting the questions numerous times? Like doing it once, then drawing a line under, and doing it again differently? If it's true, jesus the way I'm going to abuse that system.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement