Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 brides!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

But if you were getting married in your local church or the registry office you would still all have to get there and then to the reception so you would need transport no matter what.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

That's a fair point. I'll probably do that so, get ready at home then drive down. Most people have a drive between ceremony and reception anyway so I guess it's the same type of thing! My local church is so close that we're all walking to my brothers wedding from home!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I'm staying in hotel the night before with my bridesmaids, mam and brother etc. Why would your hotel want minimum number of rooms the night before the wedding?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭lovelystuff

It's a private house type venue. They're very inflexible too about minimum numbers but we love everything else about them! If it was a hotel with no minimum numbers I'd definitely stay the night before for limited hassle!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Staying at my venue (a relatively big hotel) the night before. Flying in on the Wednesday and staying in a cheaper hotel until the Friday afternoon, when we move to our venue. Wedding is on a Saturday afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

Was only talking about this at the weekend with one of my bm.. We are hoping to have the lads stay in the venue the night before maybe if we are aloud, bringing my car down the day before so she is there for pics.. And then just travelling down that morning and getting ready there, no fancy cars needs just clean ones.. Would love to get a helicopter in haha to make it faster but sure I can dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It's a private house type venue. They're very inflexible too about minimum numbers but we love everything else about them! If it was a hotel with no minimum numbers I'd definitely stay the night before for limited hassle!

A cheaper hotel or even holiday home near your venue for the night might work?
    It's more hassle to have to move twice, but it may also be cheaper and more time efficient than hiring a car to get you from your parents to the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sahara24

Our ceremony and reception is in the same building. There are 9 other self catering properties on the estate so we are going down the night before, renting the property for the wedding (sleeps 8) the next day and also another property (sleeps 6). The men are going to stay in the main property the night before and us girls will be in the second property. That way we can get ready there in the morning and drive down to the ceremony...and trust the lads to set up the seating etc for the ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

@fannymagee we finally found someone thanks to you! We were able to find an Interfaith Minister! Thank you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭fannymagee

@fannymagee we finally found someone thanks to you! We were able to find an Interfaith Minister! Thank you!!

Haha YAAY!!! Ah that's brilliant! Delighted to help. We are the best kept secret of the wedding world lol ;-) xxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭WannaBbride

fannymagee wrote: »
    Haha YAAY!!! Ah that's brilliant! Delighted to help. We are the best kept secret of the wedding world lol ;-) xxx

Me too...thanks to fannymagee!!

Me too...thanks to fannymagee!!

YAY!! Glad to be of service- and huge thanks to you lovely people as well- you've shown me that the demand is here NOW, so it's time to get stuck in. I'm blown away- bookings are flying in and I haven't even got a website up yet! Bring it ON!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Katniss everMean

fannymagee wrote: »

LOL next time be more obvious!! I would have contacted you!!

LOL next time be more obvious!! I would have contacted you!!

Haha!! Ah thanks- I have Boards paranoia lol ;-) I'm not ordained yet so at the moment I'm doing non-legal ceremonies, and I can solemnise from July 2016. I have a nice open diary at the moment but I figured that without knowing dates it was best to just point in the general direction of my Interfaith colleagues & hope you found one with availability! Glad you did- you can get back to me if you need any other ceremonies down the line lol ;-) xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Afternoon ladies ☺ Going jump into the thread if thats ok?.

We're getting married july 2016. Have venue and ceremony booked (same location), wedding dress sorted, dj too. Have to get in touch with his aunt about the cake. A friend of mine is doing the flowers. Struggling to find a good photographer on a very tight budget. It doesnt help that ive already gone over budget on the venue and dress lol. Himself is of absolutely no help as and im quoting here "if i left it up to him it would down his local with a chippers" lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Thumby wrote: »
    Afternoon ladies ☺ Going jump into the thread if thats ok?.

We're getting married july 2016. Have venue and ceremony booked (same location), wedding dress sorted, dj too. Have to get in touch with his aunt about the cake. A friend of mine is doing the flowers. Struggling to find a good photographer on a very tight budget. It doesnt help that ive already gone over budget on the venue and dress lol. Himself is of absolutely no help as and im quoting here "if i left it up to him it would down his local with a chippers" lol

What's your budget for a photographer?

Im starting dress shopping in 2 weeks, cant wait!! Thought i was very early, but doesn't seem so, going by some of the posts i've been reading online with others going dress shopping too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

andreac wrote: »
    What's your budget for a photographer?

Im starting dress shopping in 2 weeks, cant wait!! Thought i was very early, but doesn't seem so, going by some of the posts i've been reading online with others going dress shopping too :)

Its's never too early to go dress shopping ðŸ˜. I was originally going to buy my dress online from the same site my sister in law to be did last year. I went out to a little bridal shop in kildare that had the same one i wanted as the online shop and it was horrendous on me!! I'm so glad i did go though as i found the perfect dress for me. The ladies that own the shop are so lovely. They even worked out a payment plan for so i could get the dress as i couldnt afford to pay for it there and then as it was double my entire bridal wear budget lol.

Our budget for photographer is basically the cheapest we can get without skimming on quality lol.
    Oh and to anyone still looking for venues always try and negoiate as the hotel is doing a payment plan with us as well.

We are trying to pay as we go because we dont want to borrow and are in the middle of trying to move to so massive deposits are a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Delighted to be able to join this thread. Got engaged only today in the National Park in Killarney!
    Already started (vague) plans, and thinking of late next year for the wedding, Himself is set on a Christmas wedding :) We're looking at Country Houses because we want a fairly non-traditional wedding and to be able to have a lot of free reign with decorations and stuff. I haven't a clue where to start, soooo excited to begin though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

Hey everyone,

I got engaged 6 months ago we were planning the wedding for summer 2017 however we are financially in a much better position now to afford it a year earlier.

We have nothing planned. We have looked at 4 venues and one is a top contender.

Is is reasonable that we could organise a wedding for next year. Has anyone a timeline of what I would need to do immediately bar venue and church.

Are there any items that need immediate attention? I'm in my final year of college next year (I'm 27 so not a baby 😛) from Jan-Apr I have my final teaching placement so will be busy and will need to get most things organised before December.

Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of June, July, Aug or September. We are flexible enough with those dates and out top venue has loads of availability.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Jwacqui wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

I got engaged 6 months ago we were planning the wedding for summer 2017 however we are financially in a much better position now to afford it a year earlier.

We have nothing planned. We have looked at 4 venues and one is a top contender.

Is is reasonable that we could organise a wedding for next year. Has anyone a timeline of what I would need to do immediately bar venue and church.

Are there any items that need immediate attention? I'm in my final year of college next year (I'm 27 so not a baby 😛) from Jan-Apr I have my final teaching placement so will be busy and will need to get most things organised before December.

Any tips etc would be greatly appreciated. Thinking of June, July, Aug or September. We are flexible enough with those dates and out top venue has loads of availability.

Thanks in advance!

We started planning our wedding in December 2014, our wedding is next week.
    It's been extremely easy. Yes you have fewer choices, but you still have choices and in my experience fewer choices just makes everything easier. Instead of having to look at minute differences between choice A, B and C you simply take what's available.

At this point you should line up, ceremony venue, solemniser, reception venue, photographer, band and your dress. Then let everyone know your date. After that you can tick off things like florist, DJ, his outfit, rings, bridal party outfits, pre-marriage courses (if applicable), invites as you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,272 ✭✭✭✭fits

We only started organising in late august for this july and had no problems booking anything. We found out celebrant availabilty first and worked from there.

Thanks guys! Really appreciate the help. The fiancé came home last week and just said we have more savings than we thought and why wait!

He makes a point! We're 27 and 31 so want to start a family over the next 3 years and we would like to marry first.

I have an idea of what type of cake, flowers, dress, bridesmaid dresses, flowers etc. that I want

When do you send out invites and ask bridesmaids and groomsmen etc?

Totally clueless here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Woohoo, Jwacqui's starting the planning :) First thing's first, get the ceremony booked. If you're getting married in a church, approach the priest after mass and see what's available. The July or August Bank holiday weekends could be pretty popular! After that, put a deposit on your venue (use a card).

Once your date's nailed down you can start asking bridesmaids etc :) Often, your invitation theme will be tied in with your bridesmaids colours. We all went to Debenhams with an open mind, spent an hour trying on everything and all of them looked amazing in a dusky pink, which I'd never have picked by myself! I then chose a cherry blossom theme based on the dresses and time of year. You don't need to send out invitations until about 8-12 weeks before, unless it's overseas.

You'll need to register your intent to marry with the HSE, so once you have a date set you can make that appointment. Good luck!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

We started planning 11-12 months ago for this weekend - your timeline sounds about right! If you're looking for a humanist celebrant on a Saturday for the summer you may already be too late - the lady that did ours yesterday is already 100% booked out for 2016.

In terms of bridesmaids - I had a general idea of what type of dress I wanted them to wear, gave them a lot of leeway on colour though. I had been looking at summery prints but we ended up going with a plain navy dress in the end and because the girls accessorised well and the dress was a good fit on them it looked great. I gave the girls around 9 months notice. Our groomsmen were my OH's 3 brothers and that was probably always going to happen!

We sent invitations in January with an RSVP date of Feb 28th for May. We don't live in Ireland and around a quarter of our guests also had to travel from abroad, so we gave a little more notice.

We only made our final decisions regarding flowers in April, and ended up adding a few more table centrepieces on Thursday when we went in to see them!

Cake - we made our choices late on this one. We had cupcakes, cake pops and a single tier of fruit cake to put our topper on. We ordered our cupcakes and cake pops in March. It worked out great, we had something for everyone.

Dolbert wrote: »
    Woohoo, Jwacqui's starting the planning :) First thing's first, get the ceremony booked. If you're getting married in a church, approach the priest after mass and see what's available. The July or August Bank holiday weekends could be pretty popular! After that, put a deposit on your venue (use a card).

Once your date's nailed down you can start asking bridesmaids etc :) Often, your invitation theme will be tied in with your bridesmaids colours. We all went to Debenhams with an open mind, spent an hour trying on everything and all of them looked amazing in a dusky pink, which I'd never have picked by myself! I then chose a cherry blossom theme based on the dresses and time of year. You don't need to send out invitations until about 8-12 weeks before, unless it's overseas.

You'll need to register your intent to marry with the HSE, so once you have a date set you can make that appointment. Good luck!

Exciting and nerve-wracking haha! We want a church wedding so thats a must, it will be outside the parish so we will have to get our own priest I think which will be fine!

I love the colour of your bridesmaid dresses, its the colour I have in mind, must look in Debenhams when its time to look! Did you do a save the date?
    We started planning 11-12 months ago for this weekend - your timeline sounds about right! If you're looking for a humanist celebrant on a Saturday for the summer you may already be too late - the lady that did ours yesterday is already 100% booked out for 2016.

In terms of bridesmaids - I had a general idea of what type of dress I wanted them to wear, gave them a lot of leeway on colour though. I had been looking at summery prints but we ended up going with a plain navy dress in the end and because the girls accessorised well and the dress was a good fit on them it looked great. I gave the girls around 9 months notice. Our groomsmen were my OH's 3 brothers and that was probably always going to happen!

We sent invitations in January with an RSVP date of Feb 28th for May. We don't live in Ireland and around a quarter of our guests also had to travel from abroad, so we gave a little more notice.

We only made our final decisions regarding flowers in April, and ended up adding a few more table centrepieces on Thursday when we went in to see them!

Cake - we made our choices late on this one. We had cupcakes, cake pops and a single tier of fruit cake to put our topper on. We ordered our cupcakes and cake pops in March. It worked out great, we had something for everyone.

Thanks so much!! We are hoping to go with Church and are flexible on dates so fingers crossed it all comes together! Feels like very little time! I think we need a good plan and strategy, a time line and a spreadsheet wouldn't go amiss either. The OH is an accountant so he can be in charge of the spreadsheets! :P

and CONGRATULATIONS!!

Pop into the priest and find out what dates he still has available then cross check these dates with your venue (if you have a particular one in mind) or choice of venues.

Next is your photographer and band. Have you a particular one in mind? If so, give them a call with your selection of dates and see when they are available.

Hopefully, you will have a few dates to choose from then once you make a choice, give them all a call to "pencil you in". Arrange to meet them asap but do ask them to give you a call if someone else enquires about same date before your meeting.

Himself is set on a Christmas wedding :) We're looking at Country Houses because we want a fairly non-traditional wedding and to be able to have a lot of free reign with decorations and stuff. I haven't a clue where to start, soooo excited to begin though :D

If you are thinking of Christmas I suggest you get searching now. We were looking in Jan for next year and the only dates a lot of venues had were Halloween Sunday or a couple of Sundays during the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Dovies wrote: »
    If you are thinking of Christmas I suggest you get searching now. We were looking in Jan for next year and the only dates a lot of venues had were Halloween Sunday or a couple of Sundays during the year!

Eeeek! Thanks for that. I've a week off work in late June so was hoping to look then but reading that we may have to start sooner :eek:

Eeeek! Thanks for that. I've a week off work in late June so was hoping to look then but reading that we may have to start sooner :eek:

Easiest way to start is decide where you want to get married - Dublin, Cork etc. Then google is your friend for venues. Request their wedding information packs or download them and start there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Going to post here, As well its a great forum for the extra ideas of a wedding. (I'm a Groom But its ok as we voted on equality)

Getting married in June 2016, Getting married in England as my bride is from there and her Grandparents would have trouble getting to Ireland where as mine would have no problem getting to UK.

Have to say the UK is a bit more relaxed when it comes to weddings. We have been able to get who and what we want for our date ( Our bonkers priest wasn't even going to put our date in the diary yet as we are the only one so far for 2016) More hoops to jump through too, They really expect you to attend mass every week...

Booked our venue but only thing which will be different is that we will have lunch in the dining room and afters in one of the out buildings would you think that people will scatter after lunch? My brides thinks we would let them go off for a couple of hours before our first dance.

I have to recommend the app trello to everyone, The bride and I are shared users meaning we both get to see what to do and by when and anything we want to add you can add as a note to the item.

Anyone have an idea where I could buy about 10,000 fairy lights? :/

Advertisement