Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E-evo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I agree. Give us a few photos

TBH there isn't a lot of wiring in the Meter box, 2 wires +Earth come in, go to the meter and 2 go out of the meter to the consumer unit +earth. I don't think even I could make an ass of that part of wiring! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

I'm actually an electrician which is why I'd love to see what has made the wiring so dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

My meter box:

upload_-1

How it should look like:

upload_-1

The HCP installed:

upload_-1

E-evo

upload_-1

• Advertisement

The journey continues...

We had a serious taste of range anxiety (self inflicted)
    The other day I came back from work and my wife said she wanted to go to Portlaoise for a quick shopping. I only planned to get the car charged next day at work, as I still have not resolved the wiring issue at home, so i had only 45km GOM juice. The choice was the ICE of Eevo... i risked and took Eevo. when we got to Portlaoise I found out (better planning needed here) that only slow chargers were available in the city centre. And of course, the one I stopped at was not operational. Wifey got thick that we had to go to Midway station and said we are finished with the shopping and going home... off we went... well i had to drive with 50 and less, no AC to get to the charger in my town... We made it but it was a bit unnerving to have the anxious wife and lil' baba in the car...

A believe this is part of the learning process and getting to know the car. I can clearly say that I am getting more and more confident with the range and abilities of the EV.
    In the sugar weather we had over the last few days I managed to get 108km out of 100% charge until the low battery warning started flashing on the dash...

It must take some good planning to people who are doing plenty of mileage. One of the EV owners said he's done 3500km since 14 Feb this year...

I go by the % for the battery not the GOM. The GOM will adjust based on terrain and driving style/speed etc. One minute it could say you've 80 Kms left then it could say 50kms after 5 mins or so if you've climbed a steep hill or driven at 164 Kph !

Usually I get just over 1 km per 1% of battery and that's not driving too easy !

You'll get used to it.

I've no doubt someone could get 160 Kms or 100 miles in a Leaf at 60-80 kph and that's fine on suitable roads.

We're heading to Killarney next weekend but We'll take the diesel because I can't be arsed charging 2-3 times, In theory I should get away with 2 fast charges but because it's really only practical to charge to 80%, (anything above is a waste of time and unfair to someone waiting) so you'd need to be at the next fast charger by 80 Kms. Again you could probably do more off the motorway or at 80 kph.

If we decide to go for a long trip around Kerry then we'd be stuck because there are only 2 fast chargers in Kerry. Though having the 6.6 Kw charger in the Leaf means I can replace 50% in 2 hrs. Technically I could do the Ring-Of-Kerry with the 6.6 kw charger with a 2 hr stop. it's 180 or so Kms. But I'd need to start with a full charge. But in reality for my sanity I'd just take the diesel.

I love the Leaf and have 6,300 Kms since about the 24th of January but it has it't limitations and I will be the first to admit it. It does suit a predictable form of driving such as my 85 mile daily commute but longer trips are possible with planning and patients, for instance if it's your only car and you do the super long trip 2-3 times a year then you could either borrow another car or use the fast chargers. Without the E.U funded fast chargers this would not really be possible.

Leaf II or Opel Bolt in 2017 will be a far different story, but for now I am more than happy with the leaf and know for certain I will never go back to ICE for my main car !

I go by the % for the battery not the GOM. The GOM will adjust based on terrain and driving style/speed etc. One minute it could say you've 80 Kms left then it could say 50kms after 5 mins or so if you've climbed a steep hill or driven at 164 Kph !

Usually I get just over 1 km per 1% of battery and that's not driving too easy !

You'll get used to it.

I've no doubt someone could get 160 Kms or 100 miles in a Leaf at 60-80 kph and that's fine on suitable roads.

We're heading to Killarney next weekend but We'll take the diesel because I can't be arsed charging 2-3 times, In theory I should get away with 2 fast charges but because it's really only practical to charge to 80%, (anything above is a waste of time and unfair to someone waiting) so you'd need to be at the next fast charger by 80 Kms. Again you could probably do more off the motorway or at 80 kph.

If we decide to go for a long trip around Kerry then we'd be stuck because there are only 2 fast chargers in Kerry. Though having the 6.6 Kw charger in the Leaf means I can replace 50% in 2 hrs. Technically I could do the Ring-Of-Kerry with the 6.6 kw charger with a 2 hr stop. it's 180 or so Kms. But I'd need to start with a full charge. But in reality for my sanity I'd just take the diesel.

I love the Leaf and have 6,300 Kms since about the 24th of January but it has it't limitations and I will be the first to admit it. It does suit a predictable form of driving such as my 85 mile daily commute but longer trips are possible with planning and patients, for instance if it's your only car and you do the super long trip 2-3 times a year then you could either borrow another car or use the fast chargers. Without the E.U funded fast chargers this would not really be possible.

Leaf II or Opel Bolt in 2017 will be a far different story, but for now I am more than happy with the leaf and know for certain I will never go back to ICE for my main car !

I've noticed the GOM is not really helpful. I actually prefer to have it removed from my display... But I guess this is not possible... Yet hahahah

On 16.04 we are going to Waterford. Fast charge in Kilkenny (Barlo), both ways. Will have the car ready to go with 100% charge...

Somewhere I think I should have spent the extra €900 for the 6.6kw version... The RCI would not lend me money, so I had to reapply for lower repayment ....

the other day i drove me ICE car in town and as I reached the town parking with a scp i looked at it and said to my self -"Oh someone else has left his car to charge" only to realise a few seconds later it was my car charging... silly me hshaha

peposhi wrote: »
    I've noticed the GOM is not really helpful. I actually prefer to have it removed from my display... But I guess this is not possible... Yet hahahah

On 16.04 we are going to Waterford. Fast charge in Kilkenny (Barlo), both ways. Will have the car ready to go with 100% charge...

Somewhere I think I should have spent the extra €900 for the 6.6kw version... The RCI would not lend me money, so I had to reapply for lower repayment ....

The 6.6 Kw charger would be very handy if you get the opportunity to use the normal street charge points.

I think the GOM is ok if you don't drastically change your driving style, speed , acceleration etc or suddenly climb a steep hill.

If I'm driving at 80-100 kph and the GOM tells me 100 Kms remaining and I suddly drive at 140 Kph and it tells me 80 kms remaining then I've no doubt that at that speed I will have 80 Kms left or close enough but I'd want be plugged in after 60 Kph or definitely plugged in by the 80 Kph, however by the time I reach my destination I could have reduced my speed back to 80 Kph so it's very hard for the car to guess based on so many variables.

• Advertisement

As you know, when things go according the plan, everything is OK... But if something goes wrong... Hahaha

Well... I decided to take the Leaf to go to Waterford last Thursday with a mid stop Barlo Kilkenny for a 1K car check up. Everything was going brilliant. Got my service. Got a boot line. Got mats. Ordered mudflaps. Charged the car and half way to Wаterford I realised we have forgotten my suit, shoes and my wife's dress... Holy-moly... Had to go back to Barlo to top up, drive notrh, top up in Midway (10 min wait as there was another Lef already there), go home & get the stuff, back to Barlo to top up with another 10 min wait and eventually arrived in Waterford at 19.30. Once the visit was over, had to find the fast charger in Waterford... Some challenge was that. I found it behind a closed for business (too late probably) petrol station on Cork road... Nearly had a heart attack before I knew it was there and it was working... Phew...
    Charged up to and headed straight home. I possibly would have made it, but to be on the safe side topped up for 10 minutes in Midway before I went home.
    So from 9am to 00.30 am on the road with stops here and there... It was wrecking experience. Especially that I had the little lad at the back and screaming wife (around 8pm) at the passengers side.
    I used 6 times a FCP and the battery level went to 6. Not a happy battery :(
    But I can clearly say now that next time I'd do home to Waterford on a single charge with a reasonable driving...
    Oh, i forgot...
    I got 5 trees on the dash... Whatever that means...

On Friday - had to drive to Dublin... Such a pleasure... Went to D4, spent a fantastic day out, not planned, on the way home charged it in Naas and arrived safely with no issue... Loved it, my beloved ones liked it too...

As you know, when things go according the plan, everything is OK... But if something goes wrong... Hahaha

Well... I decided to take the Leaf to go to Waterford last Thursday with a mid stop Barlo Kilkenny for a 1K car check up. Everything was going brilliant. Got my service. Got a boot line. Got mats. Ordered mudflaps. Charged the car and half way to Wаterford I realised we have forgotten my suit, shoes and my wife's dress... Holy-moly... Had to go back to Barlo to top up, drive notrh, top up in Midway (10 min wait as there was another Lef already there), go home & get the stuff, back to Barlo to top up with another 10 min wait and eventually arrived in Waterford at 19.30. Once the visit was over, had to find the fast charger in Waterford... Some challenge was that. I found it behind a closed for business (too late probably) petrol station on Cork road... Nearly had a heart attack before I knew it was there and it was working... Phew...
    Charged up to and headed straight home. I possibly would have made it, but to be on the safe side topped up for 10 minutes in Midway before I went home.
    So from 9am to 00.30 am on the road with stops here and there... It was wrecking experience. Especially that I had the little lad at the back and screaming wife (around 8pm) at the passengers side.
    I used 6 times a FCP and the battery level went to 6. Not a happy battery :(
    But I can clearly say now that next time I'd do home to Waterford on a single charge with a reasonable driving...
    Oh, i forgot...
    I got 5 trees on the dash... Whatever that means...

On Friday - had to drive to Dublin... Such a pleasure... Went to D4, spent a fantastic day out, not planned, on the way home charged it in Naas and arrived safely with no issue... Loved it, my beloved ones liked it too...

How far was that trip each way ?

I still can't believe there is only one Fast charger in Waterford. It's a good distance from the M9 too !

So you got the blame for forgetting the Clothes ? :rolleyes: :D That sounds like something I'd do !

I called in for My 1000Km inspection at about 7,000 Kms ! :D I'm not worried about going over the service intervals either because there is simply nothing to service on the Leaf. But I will not go too much over for warranty purposes. It's no harm to give it the once over just in case something comes loose lol.

How far was that trip each way ?

I still can't believe there is only one Fast charger in Waterford. It's a good distance from the M9 too !

So you got the blame for forgetting the Clothes ? :rolleyes: :D That sounds like something I'd do !

I called in for My 1000Km inspection at about 7,000 Kms ! :D I'm not worried about going over the service intervals either because there is simply nothing to service on the Leaf. But I will not go too much over for warranty purposes. It's no harm to give it the once over just in case something comes loose lol.

Yes, it makes you wonder why for such a big city there's only one FCP. Well, the same goes for Kilkenny, although I was told in Barlo that soon 2 more FCPs would be installed in the city.

Simply nothing to service, I'd agree, but people still pay between €85 to €250 for service so I read in a few places. IIRC €60 for a pair of wipers, OEM... Ridiculous!

As for the trips... Hmmm

68km - FCP - 45km - FCP - 68km - FCP - 68km - FCP - 57km - FCP - 105km -FCP - home

Once I done that I now have a lot better feel for the car and trust it to get me from home to Waterford on a single charge. Next time around.

This weekend we are going to visit my cousin in Cork... I shall do it again hahahah this time clothes go first in the car though as well as double/triple check of the trip list before we hit the road :)

Simply nothing to service, I'd agree, but people still pay between €85 to €250 for service so I read in a few places. IIRC €60 for a pair of wipers, OEM... Ridiculous!

I certainly won't be paying anything close to 250 € for a Leaf service !
    68km - FCP - 45km - FCP - 68km - FCP - 68km - FCP - 57km - FCP - 105km -FCP - home
    Once I done that I now have a lot better feel for the car and trust it to get me from home to Waterford on a single charge. Next time around.

Once you experience winter driving of wind and cold then you'll know the worst case. I Reckon at 110 Kph I could do 110 Kms in this calm milder weather.
    This weekend we are going to visit my cousin in Cork... I shall do it again hahahah this time clothes go first in the car though as well as double/triple check of the trip list before we hit the road :)

Cork, yeah that will be a good Spin.

Peposhi, Have you used the Google send maps to car yet ?

I downloaded https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jvanier.android.sendtocar&hl=en

Then go to google maps on your mobile slide up the screen from the bottom and click "share link" then send to car.

Go into the maps settings and then the Google send to car and it should then pull down the map data from your phone. Pretty Cool !

So...

After the trip to Waterford I decided to trust my Leaf and do another long one - to Cork.
    Left Junction 14 with 100%. On the way to Cork I picked the old Portlaoise/Cork road. Was worried to go on the motorway yet. Managed a total of 105km to Cashel with 19% left in the "tank". Luckily there was one parking space at the charger , the other 3 were ICED... In 41 min I had 91% and no it was time to go. The last part of the road was quite hilly but still managed to get to Cork with 16% left. Me cousin lives in the city centre so all chargers were within reasonable distance I had slow and fast chargers. The South Mall SCP would not accept my card, so I drove to Topaz FCP. Got a top - up and headed off to sleep. Next morning I got ESB to unlock the South Mall charger remotely, plugged the car and went for shopping. By the time we finished the charging was nearly over and ready to go.
    On the way back I took the motorway. Holly-Molly, the up-hill was some challenge but still managed to get to Cashel with 18%. Lucky again with no ICE-ing, charged to 86% and arrived home with 16%. Overall very happy and I would not be worried to take the motorway both ways next time.

The following day I had a bit of a bummer.
    I charged only to 80% at the local SCP as I had no plans going anywhere but Athy and back. Off we went. The plan changed so we had to go to Carlow as well. It is all uphill from Athy to Carlow so i lost a bit of a charge. Even though I was running low, I skipped the FCP in Carlow with the thought to use the SCP in Athy as we were staying for the day there... Back in Athy I found the 2 FCPs not working or unaccessible (train station and Clanard Hotel, bad planning from my side, never checked it). At this stage I was getting into the fcuk,fcuk,fcuk mode... As I was with my other half and the little one and did not want to get caught with them on board I run to Junction 14 for a quick charge... I got so nervous and driving with 50-60 did not help. Eventually arrived at J14 with 1% (at least that what the FCP showed when I plugged the car). Phew... That's was close. Don't want that happening often, must improve self organisation :):):)

So nearly 3000 km driven already and more to come :)

Yes you should check the charge point map for updates. :rolleyes:

The SCP in Athy is down well over 2 months. It took a few ear fulls from me before they reported it down on the charge point map.

When you pass a fast charger you should get a 10 min top up if you're unsure about range.

The AC points are a disaster, just look at the amount of them that are down, then the amount of spaces that are iced.

Yes you should check the charge point map for updates. :rolleyes:

The SCP in Athy is down well over 2 months. It took a few ear fulls from me before they reported it down on the charge point map.

When you pass a fast charger you should get a 10 min top up if you're unsure about range.

The AC points are a disaster, just look at the amount of them that are down, then the amount of spaces that are iced.

True...

The dilemma now is if we should travel with E-evo to the airport and park it there for two weeks, FCP at Topaz and comeback home or leave the car home and get the bus to the airport...

You can fast charge at the Topaz provided the taxi's get out of the way !

The ideal thing to do with the leaf is plug it in at the airport charger and head off but I don't know what the cost of that would be.

So you'd plug in and remote start the charging from the internet 10 hrs or so before you want to get in the car so it's as little time as possible at or near 100%.

Unfortunately if the leaf has no timer set it automatically starts to charge as soon as it's plugged in. You could set the charge to 80% but even 80% isn't an ideal storage charge for the battery but it's better than nothing.

You can then set it to charge the rest of the way remotely the night before to charge to 100%.

If you can get home with 80% then happy days.

Make sure and set only set the charge to 80% in the timer and not set the long life mode which charges to 80% and won't let you charge to 100% unless you disable this function.

The long life mode is handy for people who don't use timers and just plug in each time they need which is great if you never need more than 80%.

You can fast charge at the Topaz provided the taxi's get out of the way !

The ideal thing to do with the leaf is plug it in at the airport charger and head off but I don't know what the cost of that would be.

So you'd plug in and remote start the charging from the internet 10 hrs or so before you want to get in the car so it's as little time as possible at or near 100%.

Unfortunately if the leaf has no timer set it automatically starts to charge as soon as it's plugged in. You could set the charge to 80% but even 80% isn't an ideal storage charge for the battery but it's better than nothing.

You can then set it to charge the rest of the way remotely the night before to charge to 100%.

If you can get home with 80% then happy days.

Make sure and set only set the charge to 80% in the timer and not set the long life mode which charges to 80% and won't let you charge to 100% unless you disable this function.

The long life mode is handy for people who don't use timers and just plug in each time they need which is great if you never need more than 80%.

My plan was to FC to 50-60% at Topaz once I arrive at the airport. Park the car. Comeback, FC to whatever can get me home (80% will do easily)...

Meanwhile I booked a 15 days quickpark deal for €48... Why would I bother going by bus when 2 return tickets would cost me €40

• Advertisement

50% is a good enough to leave it sitting.

Today was a Leaf day at Junction 14 :)
    6 Leafs in total pulled in to get a charge, one to take a shower hahaha

Today was a Leaf day at Junction 14 :)
    6 Leafs in total pulled in to get a charge, one to take a shower hahaha

That's a lot of free leccy ! :D

Needs to be 2 fast charge points at this stage in the busier places.

Went on holiday and kept the Leaf at the Quick Park. Did not plug in as I did not want to block the SCP for two weeks. Left the car at 36% charge, got it back at 33%, so 3% loss over two weeks. Topaz Airport was Iced as usual, so run to Topaz D11. Had to plug and unplug the cable 4 times until I got it going.

I already said that to the owners. :D

With the extension to be build soon there possibly would be a photovoltaic system installed on the roof... So, getting greener...

I already said that to the owners. :D

With the extension to be build soon there possibly would be a photovoltaic system installed on the roof... So, getting greener...

Solar PV and wind installations in Ireland is no longer feasible due to the ESB discontinuing the feed-in-tariff.

Even if they reintroduced it there would need to be a guarantee for a number of years for income to pay back. Or buy a tesla battery for this but that will add to the cost and you'd want more than 10 kwh to supply the leaf and house.

The ESB network could be a free gigantic battery but they won;t pay us more for leccy than they will commercially so the Government need to introduce an incentive both for installation and tariff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

I really need a CCS rapid at Junction 14, my battery is still at 55-60% when I reach Portlaoise and then I need to get it to 80-82% to hit the far end of Dublin doing 120-130 km/h. And Naas is just a total pain in the arse.

cros13 wrote: »
    I really need a CCS rapid at Junction 14, my battery is still at 55-60% when I reach Portlaoise and then I need to get it to 80-82% to hit the far end of Dublin doing 120-130 km/h. And Naas is just a total pain in the arse.

Totally agree on Naas... Such a nonsense to put a FCP at that location...
    As for the CCS - it would take some time, but definitely there would be a second FCP at Junction 14.

Solar PV and wind installations in Ireland is no longer feasible due to the ESB discontinuing the feed-in-tariff.

Even if they reintroduced it there would need to be a guarantee for a number of years for income to pay back. Or buy a tesla battery for this but that will add to the cost and you'd want more than 10 kwh to supply the leaf and house.

The ESB network could be a free gigantic battery but they won;t pay us more for leccy than they will commercially so the Government need to introduce an incentive both for installation and tariff.

No intentions to sell to anybody - the site would use all the leccy produced :D

• Advertisement

No intentions to sell to anybody - the site would use all the leccy produced :D

You need a battery to store it though which adds to the cost but check out the Tesla power wall and the costs, I would be interested to know.

Storage adds to the cost and when you have an EV you need a lot of storage, unless you can be home in the day to charge. On a day like today though you wouldn't get a whole lot of energy.

You did mention solar PV didn't you ?

Advertisement