Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E-evo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

BoatMad wrote: »
    I presume there is no actual regulations , other then using a RECI. To put in the correct feed cable and RCBO.

Most of the domestic units even have an RCBO in the chargepoint. For my apartment just grabbed the power at an isolator just after the meter and before the cable run to my apartment, didn't go back to the consumer unit at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

cros13 wrote: »
    Most of the domestic units even have an RCBO in the chargepoint. For my apartment just grabbed the power at an isolator just after the meter and before the cable run to my apartment, didn't go back to the consumer unit at all.

My consumer unit is very handy ,so I will but the RCBO there and run a 8m2 to an external IEC 60309 32 amp weather proof socket. I want my evse to be removable, ( as I'm building it ) I'll get a friendly RECI to certify the cable and IEC socket install etc

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Solar PV and wind installations in Ireland is no longer feasible due to the ESB discontinuing the feed-in-tariff.

Even if they reintroduced it there would need to be a guarantee for a number of years for income to pay back. Or buy a tesla battery for this but that will add to the cost and you'd want more than 10 kwh to supply the leaf and house.

The ESB network could be a free gigantic battery but they won;t pay us more for leccy than they will commercially so the Government need to introduce an incentive both for installation and tariff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUDddloHrYM

Can't watch this in work , what's it about ?

The uk ecotricty guy talking about all the things I'd like to see happen here I just you'd be interested as the esb is such a disappointment to Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

BoatMad wrote: »
    I read your issues with the EVSE install ( charging point !

I presume there is no actual regulations , other then using a RECI. To put in the correct feed cable and RCBO.

I'm not going to bother involving the ESB

If I had purchased or gotten the HCP elsewhere my neighbour could have installed it as he's RECI.
    But with the HCP been provided by ESB there were no options...
    If I want to relocate/reposition it at some stage I would have it done by the neighbour now...

How long did it take for the install to start after you bought the car / ordered the hcu?

How long did it take for the install to start after you bought the car / ordered the hcu?

It would have bęen a lot faster if i did not have problem the wiring in my house. Max 1 month i world say .

Well ... my Leaf is not a virgin any more i guess. My wife managed to scratch the passenger door yesterday. Not really bad, but still does not feel the same :-)

We have done nearly 16000km within 8 months and the 20k per year on the PCP contract is no longer something i will pay attention to. Also called the dealer and ensured i am free to go for a service either at the 30k mark or 1 year of ownership, whichever comes first,and not as advised on the windscreen at the 15k mark.

• Advertisement

It is funny how the Leaf became from "my" car to a full time family car lol

20000km PCP mark reached in under 10 months when normally I would barely reach 19000km for a full year... Have not checked the SOH and all so waiting for the yearly test to find out if we have been good towards E-evo.

peposhi wrote: »
    We have done nearly 16000km within 8 months and the 20k per year on the PCP contract is no longer something i will pay attention to. Also called the dealer and ensured i am free to go for a service either at the 30k mark or 1 year of ownership, whichever comes first,and not as advised on the windscreen at the 15k mark.

Yeah I was not impressed with Barlo Kilkenny Nissan telling me that they recommend to come back every 15 K for a service and I told them that if Nissan themselves recommend once a year or 30 K then that's good enough for me.

TBH the only need to go back at all is for the warranty !

It is funny how the Leaf became from "my" car to a full time family car lol

20000km PCP mark reached in under 10 months when normally I would barely reach 19000km for a full year... Have not checked the SOH and all so waiting for the yearly test to find out if we have been good towards E-evo.

No need to worry about the battery mine is not showing any difference from new after 28,000 kms.

The Nissan battery report doesn't tell much.

They do make a record of the time spent at a high state of charge though, that is sitting at over 80% when not in use.

I have to restrain my usage and unfortunately most of my Leaf Kms were commuting.

No need to worry about the battery mine is not showing any difference from new after 28,000 kms.

The Nissan battery report doesn't tell much.

They do make a record of the time spent at a high state of charge though, that is sitting at over 80% when not in use.

I have to restrain my usage and unfortunately most of my Leaf Kms were commuting.

We may actually keep the car after the PCP is over. It's only 9k we have to pay afterwards. If I get a loan the repayments will go 30/40% lower to what I currently pay per month.
    With my wife's career looking very promising she might get one long range EV when ready to do so...
    So I won't worry whichever way the things go.

We may actually keep the car after the PCP is over. It's only 9k we have to pay afterwards. If I get a loan the repayments will go 30/40% lower to what I currently pay per month.
    With my wife's career looking very promising she might get one long range EV when ready to do so...
    So I won't worry whichever way the things go.

Sure , if you can keep it , then do. You know it's history and it's the only way to get value for money by keeping it.

The 2nd Gen leaf is due in about 2 years, probably announced next year. It will most likely have different battery capacity options at different costs. best to hold on until then.

Unfortunately the GM Bolt is not coming to Ireland and I got confirmation from Opel Ireland that it is unlikely to do so because it will not be rebranded as Opel and we have No Chevrolet dealers in Ireland any more. When it comes to the U.K you would be able to get one there but have to go back for any warranty repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Sure , if you can keep it , then do. You know it's history and it's the only way to get value for money by keeping it.

The 2nd Gen leaf is due in about 2 years, probably announced next year. It will most likely have different battery capacity options at different costs. best to hold on until then.

Unfortunately the GM Bolt is not coming to Ireland and I got confirmation from Opel Ireland that it is unlikely to do so because it will not be rebranded as Opel and we have No Chevrolet dealers in Ireland any more. When it comes to the U.K you would be able to get one there but have to go back for any warranty repairs.

The UK is only up the road , ask any Maserati ,Bentley or Ferrari driver.

Bigus wrote: »
    The UK is only up the road , ask any Maserati ,Bentley or Ferrari driver.

True, but it would be a right pain in the ass having to bring it back to the North for it's yearly inspection. At least the 200 mile range would make it much less of a pain in the ass to do the actual trip !

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K9o1CaekxUQ&feature=youtu.be

Telsa X... Wow... Just wow... Such a beautiful car!

Rang Barlo Kilkenny to see what is going to cost the yearly "service". They said between €79 and €99. I guess the higher price includes a pollen filter. Still not sure if I am really to go or to do it as per book at the 30k mark. Just passed 23 000 and absolutely enjoy the car. Got so used to the pre-heating in cold days... Love it.

I spoke to Paul Flynn re 30kw battery + 6.6kw charger swap. The best he could do was €389 on pcp + €9380 fgmv at the end of the third year. I could have gone for it had it been a different time for the family. But with my wife opening her own Play Therapy Centre with lots of funds gone in it and the rest of the payments currently covered mainly by myself it would put too much pressure on the family. Paul will lend me the car though for 2 days so I can get the feel of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Enjoy the test drive, Peposhi. But don't sweat the upgrade if finances are not supportive at this moment in time. Perhaps save up for two years for the 60 kWh version, which is clearly on the horizon.

• Advertisement

Trial agreed. Will have an SV 30kw Leaf with a cold pack (only 3.3kw charger but will survive that one ��) for 5 days coming St. Patrick's day. Really curious what the difference would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Where are they planning on putting the batteries for the 60kWh version?
    Surely something has to give in terms of much higher weight, reduced load passenger space etc.

air wrote: »
    Where are they planning on putting the batteries for the 60kWh version?
    Surely something has to give in terms of much higher weight, reduced load passenger space etc.

Most of the increase is higher capacity within the existing battery size/weight. The 60kWh pack they've been showing at trade shows is only about 10-15% physically bigger than the 24/30kWh pack. With some packaging changes and chemistry tweaks they may be able to go to 100kWh in a similar size pack for Gen3 in five/six years.

That's incredible if true, there has been very little improvement in the mass energy density (kWh per kg) of lithium batteries in the past 10-15 years.
    I'll believe it when I see it!

That's incredible if true, there has been very little improvement in the mass energy density (kWh per kg) of lithium batteries in the past 10-15 years.

A very plain comparison to make: how long did it take to the ICE manufacturers to get the best out of the petrol/diesel... 130 years later still not perfect. The BEVs development is much faster. And bare in mind vast majority the ICE makers are actually not keen to develop the BEVs - very little to fix/service in you car once produced... so no more FixOrRepairDaily or FixItAgainTomorrow around to sell parts/filters/oil/fuel too...

There was a lot of ground to make up between what Tesla could do with NCA chemistry in 2010-2012 (230Wh/kg) and what Nissan did with the original Nissan Leaf LMO pack (140Wh/kg). Plus some small improvements in the intermediate years, plus enhancements in packaging.

60kWh in the same weight as 24kWh is a 250% increase in capacity though, can't see it myself. I've yet to see any LiPos better than around 240Wh/kg. I think a lot of the advantage the Tesla had vs the Nissan packs was in packaging rather than the chemistry.

The pictures Nissan showed of the 60 Kwh pack made the pack look higher but roughly the same width and length so don't know how their going to work that one out if it's taller.

From that pic it looks like the battery will once again take up cabin space, though it could be completely different in 2 years. But if they can get 60 Kwh from that then that's some achievement !

• Advertisement

Being a two car family, whoever does a longer journey on the day takes the Leaf. I drove the ice for an hour yesterday, later on got a lift in my colleague's diesel A6 and happened to realise I am starting to slowly but surely dislike the ice cars... It is a strange feeling to have...

Advertisement