Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2014?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Elle66

Mccloskc wrote: »
    I've heard lots of people on this that really surprised themselves. This is my second time sitting it.

I think luck will ultimately play a bigger role than I ever will in the results because if you dont know the answer, 25% chance of selecting the correct one.
    I didnt like the second essay and the sciences are my down fall so Im just hoping, praying & crossing everything that I can physically cross. bricking it doesnt even come close. Makes me feel physically sick with worry :/

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭loopylulu

oh forgot to say I saw someone posted on PagingDR, listing the results date versus exam date for the past few years. If his dates are correct and Acer follow the same patern then my money is on the 18th..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Mccloskc

Elle66 wrote: »
    I think luck will ultimately play a bigger role than I ever will in the results because if you dont know the answer, 25% chance of selecting the correct one.
    I didnt like the second essay and the sciences are my down fall so Im just hoping, praying & crossing everything that I can physically cross. bricking it doesnt even come close. Makes me feel physically sick with worry :/

Know the feeling. I got my results whilst on a plane. Horrible feeling. Didn't like the essay on art myself this year. Just hoping I get there this time

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Bloomberg

There's no point freaking yourself out and being really pessimistic about it. You should just be happy that you went for it because its a bloody intimidating exam for anyone.. If you actually geniunely believe you don't have the ability to do it, and that it will come down to luck- that is not the right mentality. You should fully believe in your ability and embrace the prospect of doing well(if not this time). In my opinion half the battle of doing well is your mentality towards it....and being understanding of yourself when things don't go the way you'd hope. I understand that its all quite intense, and I know what its like to have the hunger to be in medicine and to fulfil that dream because I'm in that position. But I fully believe I will get it.. Maybe not this time round but I know I will. And you should too.. Because its crucial for medicine, both in the run up and once your actually in it...

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Elle66

Bloomberg wrote: »
    There's no point freaking yourself out and being really pessimistic about it. You should just be happy that you went for it because its a bloody intimidating exam for anyone.. If you actually geniunely believe you don't have the ability to do it, and that it will come down to luck- that is not the right mentality. You should fully believe in your ability and embrace the prospect of doing well(if not this time). In my opinion half the battle of doing well is your mentality towards it....and being understanding of yourself when things don't go the way you'd hope. I understand that its all quite intense, and I know what its like to have the hunger to be in medicine and to fulfil that dream because I'm in that position. But I fully believe I will get it.. Maybe not this time round but I know I will. And you should too.. Because its crucial for medicine, both in the run up and once your actually in it...

I dont question my ability to pass it at all. But there were maybe 10/20 marks of the 110 questions in the sciences which I guessed. An overall difference of 10/20 marks is a game changer if I was lucky enough to guess the correct answer- so yes, I do believe that luck plays a big part. The same applies for the essays. If a topic which is completely alien to you comes up vs something you can easily and strongly discuss- that is nothing more than luck. There really is a limit to the amout of preperation you can do for an exam such as the GAMSAT.

• Advertisement

Who's applying where?

RCSI and UCD. You?

loopylulu wrote: »
    RCSI and UCD. You?

Nottingham, st George's, Swansea, Birmingham and all irish Unis... Rejected from Birmingham already so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 screweddoc

Doctors in Ireland are paid less than minimum wage per hour. FACT

This includes very senior doctors (SHOs, Registrars).

Despite this, the HSE are still thriving to pay less and get more from Doctors, so the situation will continue to get worse.

You should all be aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Cosle wrote: »
    No economy with the truth, went down as soon as I was on my summer break, explained the situation, filled out the forms, got the college to stamp my form and confirm dates of the course. I first went in the summer and they actually told me I should claim for the following christmas break.

I just got refused Jobseekers Benefit for the Xmas break even though I was fine at the Summer.

Has anyone else been able to sign on at Xmas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

any good results from uk sitters?

jody24 wrote: »

Got 53. Enough hopefully for limerick but I'm gonna resit in March. Hopefully I'll be starting somewhere in sept u?

59 somehow. Not re-sitting in March. Was told there was no GEM open day for UCD this year strangely, so I'll need to go out to see the place before I decide on a preference.

59 somehow. Not re-sitting in March. Was told there was no GEM open day for UCD this year strangely, so I'll need to go out to see the place before I decide on a preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

58 here, 2nd attempt and UL is my first choice :) Just wondering if anyone that has started their GEM course this Sept, and still follows this thread! who would care to share how they're getting on? Was it what you expected it to be and are you enjoying it? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

Ballet17 wrote: »
    58 here, 2nd attempt and UL is my first choice :) Just wondering if anyone that has started their GEM course this Sept, and still follows this thread! who would care to share how they're getting on? Was it what you expected it to be and are you enjoying it? Thanks!

do u mind saying what prep material did u use for your preparation and how much did u study for the exam? thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DonalG45

63 which was a very welcome surprise. I planned on doing the one in march and sat the uk one just to get a feel for the exam but I've no need to take the irish one now. Not sure about which college to apply for, think I'll have to go to some open days to get an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Ballet17 wrote: »

I started in UL and love love love it! It's a very demanding course, you're constantly working but if you are very good at managing your time you will get everything done and still have one day off to relax and such.

The PBL approach is such a great way to learn material and also a great way to remember the most random things. The curriculum is designed to encourage a cooperative learning environment and this really helps because it takes the heat off.

If you have any questions let me know.

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    I started in UL and love love love it! It's a very demanding course, you're constantly working but if you are very good at managing your time you will get everything done and still have one day off to relax and such.

The PBL approach is such a great way to learn material and also a great way to remember the most random things. The curriculum is designed to encourage a cooperative learning environment and this really helps because it takes the heat off.

If you have any questions let me know.[/

Hi thanks so much for your reply. It's great to hear positive things about the course and that you're enjoying it :) fingers crossed I'll be in a similar position this time next year!

do u mind saying what prep material did u use for your preparation and how much did u study for the exam? thanks in advance!

Hi Jody24! Sorry I'm only replying to this now. I started studying around July for the UK exam in Sept. My plan was just to understand, as best as I possibly could, general underlying scientific principles and concepts, so I could reason the hell out of it when it came to exam day. I started with Organic Chemistry because it was an area I really knew little of, and couldn't recommend Organic Chemistry as a Second Language enough. It was brilliant for a novice like me and I went through the whole book doing all the questions as I went along. I then supplemented it with the Organic Chem for Dummies Workbook, and in the actual exam I was actually disappointed there wasn't more org chem questions!

For general chemistry I used an a level chemistry book and for biology I went over topics like physiology and immunity but it is one area that I think getting a feel of the question types from the sample papers is the best way to go.
    For physics I admittedly did very little! Went over some light/optics/sound/momentum, but I think if you understood it well it'd be an area to pick up some easy/quick marks and if I was doing it again this/physics is definitely what I would be focusing on.

For section 1 I used the Mcat 101 in Verbal Reasoning, it was great for building up speed but I increased by only 3 points from my first to second time in this section (all points I suppose!).

For the essay section I have to admit I didn't do too much but I spent a lot of my degree writing essays, albeit with more time than 1hour for 2essays! And felt because my science knowledge was the weakest I needed to focus most of my time/energy on this.

I hope this helps somewhat! Very best of luck with it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 andym41

Hi does anyone know if distribution curves are available for all 3 sections?
    Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

andym41 wrote: »
    Hi does anyone know if distribution curves are available for all 3 sections?
    Thank you.

Nope, only for the total.

Thank you for the reply.
    Just wondering if any information is available regarding the average scores for all 3 sections. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

I would imagine the distribution curves of the individual sections would be identical to the overall distribution.

Thank you beardedmaster for the reply.

Are you also planning to sit GAMSAT? I will sit the March 2015 one in Australia.

I sat it in 2013 and am currently in GEM.

Hi Beardedmaster, I have replied to your message. Have you received that ?

Nope

Hi beardedmaster, I have resent my message to you (By replying to your message). If you don't get it even now please PM me your email and I will send that to you through email, Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 lawlesp4

Hey everyone are GAMSAT results really out or was that email a mistake???

Advertisement