Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2014?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭DroghedaTutor

If anyone isn't going back asleep for the foreseeable future would we get a UL GEM Facebook group going?

There's one already. Our American and Canadian classmates got their offers in may and it was set up then. Search for it (university of limerick medicine class of 2018) and ask czara kennedy (or whoever else comes up as admin) for an invite.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sof__

Royal College of Surgeons, absolutely thrilled. Stark contrast to my sentiments this day last year!

Gall17 wrote: »
    Just accepted UL too, absolutely delighted! Never thought this day would come! I'll be down in limerick next tuesday and would be interested in viewing any rooms that are available with other grads!

Will message you details of my house share when the sun comes up and I stop beaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blue_Zebra

kanurocks wrote: »
    UCC ... And here come the waterworks.... Worst nights sleep ever....��������������������������������������

See ya there :p

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

I was crazy nervous checking that today! Got an offer for UL anyway! Boom! Such a relief to know i got in to medicine. Wanted ucc really though but ul will do too. Anyone know what the story is with thdm next round of offers. Will i be able to accept ul and still maybe get a round 2 ucc offer? Its a housing issue, im not mad about making the drive until i can find an affordable decent place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

Congratulations everyone I got UL too! Did anyone got a txt pr an email? Because I didn't but the offer was on the website! Also does anyone know of financing options for a british national? I heard apparently irish banks don't like giving us money?

TGJD wrote: »
    I was crazy nervous checking that today! Got an offer for UL anyway! Boom! Such a relief to know i got in to medicine. Wanted ucc really though but ul will do too. Anyone know what the story is with thdm next round of offers. Will i be able to accept ul and still maybe get a round 2 ucc offer? Its a housing issue, im not mad about making the drive until i can find an affordable decent place to live.

As long as you have UCC above UL in your preference list, yes. You can go up, but you cannot go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 andy721986

See you all in UL, couldn't resist hitting accept :-) Anyone know what the zero round cut off was?

sof__ wrote: »
    As long as you have UCC above UL in your preference list, yes. You can go up, but you cannot go down.

Thanks, you're a legend, so i can officially accept my offer worry free so?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

TGJD wrote: »
    Thanks, you're a legend, so i can officially accept my offer worry free so?

Yep, go for it! You wont be offered anything in subsequent rounds if you don't accept your first offer. Congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mecci

So what were the round 0 cut offs for each college?

Poppy1314 wrote: »
    Yep, go for it! You wont be offered anything in subsequent rounds if you don't accept your first offer. Congrats :)

Thanks so much! Offer accepted so I will be seeing some of you soon anyway whether its in Ul or UCC. Exciting! Can't sleep now. I swear I'm like a big kid.

tk09aag wrote: »
    Congratulations everyone I got UL too! Did anyone got a txt pr an email? Because I didn't but the offer was on the website! Also does anyone know of financing options for a british national? I heard apparently irish banks don't like giving us money?

Hey classmate. Email grainne.haugh at ulsterbank.com

She is the UL gem loan contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clicli91

Woohoo UL...so excited!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blue_Zebra

Cut offs:

UCC: 55*
    UCD: 57*
    UL: 53*
    RCSI: 56*

Down by 1 apart from UL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mecci

letsdothis wrote: »
    I went to the march one - it isn't GEM specific. It was mainly kids in uniforms at it and geared towards direct entry but it's still worthwhile, particularly if you aren't familiar with the health sciences building and set up at UCD. I think they do a grad med evening in November.

Thanks letsdothis. Is it a half day or longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Mecci wrote: »
    Thanks letsdothis. Is it a half day or longer?

Half day...think it was over at about 12

From my bank meeting this morning

UL Ulster Bank 60k tuition loan
    no guarantor required
    4% fixed interest rate on borrowings until you graduate
    variable rate after graduation depending on the market (currently 6.5%)
    using these % rates that's approx. e550 per month for 14 years
    applicants must have irish banking history
    can choose to apply for loan facilities for the first time in later years provided UB is still offering facilities to 1st year UL GEM students

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

Hi guys I was in the aib at UCC just there and long story short I've decided to defere for a year, save as much as possible and go for it next year. With a 56 do you think it is safe to defer gem for a year and get a course next year? I'd hate to defer only to find that next year the points have dramatically risen!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

So, does anyone no when round one offers for Grad med are??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

kanurocks wrote: »
    So, does anyone no when round one offers for Grad med are??

I think GEM is covered in this:

(Couldn't post this link without adding spaces.... so dont forget to take them out)

www. cao. ie/ help_files/round_dates. php

• Registered Users Posts: 29 strangeweather

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    Hi guys I was in the aib at UCC just there and long story short I've decided to defere for a year, save as much as possible and go for it next year. With a 56 do you think it is safe to defer gem for a year and get a course next year? I'd hate to defer only to find that next year the points have dramatically risen!!!

If you get a deferral the points won't affect you next year, it means that they keep a place for you. You usually need extenuating circumstances to get it. Apply straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

I may be wrong, but from what I gathered a while back, you can't defer a GEM offer. You can only reapply the following year providing your GAMSAT score is not older than 2 years. As I said though, I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Academia

Many are happy with their offers, well done! I suspect some people, me included are waiting for round 1 offers. Anyone reckon the points will drop by 1 in subsequent rounds?

Academia wrote: »
    Many are happy with their offers, well done! I suspect some people, me included are waiting for round 1 offers. Anyone reckon the points will drop by 1 in subsequent rounds?

I think what generally tends to happen in round 1 is that the asterisk is removed. Such as RCSI may go from 56* to 56, UCD may go from 57* to 57, and UL from 53* to 53 etc. Maybe try ringing the graduate medicine admissions office of whatever university you are hoping for after August 7th and ask them where you are on the waiting list. They may tell you, they may not, but it's worth asking.

For anyone who didn't get what they wanted yesterday, or received no offer, commiserations. I was in the exact same position last year, hoping UL would drop to 52. However, I persisted with the GAMSAT, found a great learning resource for my achilles heel (section III) and received my first choice offer for studying medicine in Dublin yesterday!

Yeah, the next round of offers are out on the 18th with the LC round 1 offers.....

Hmmm, just wondering what the likelihood is that the asterisk is removed from RSCI at 56... I just accepted UCC at 56 .... Hmmmmm .... What to do.....

Yeah, the next round of offers are out on the 18th with the LC round 1 offers.....

Hmmm, just wondering what the likelihood is that the asterisk is removed from RSCI at 56... I just accepted UCC at 56 .... Hmmmmm .... What to do.....

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

I'm hoping that UCD drops to 56 if that happens then I might be able to afford it living at home. If not I'll have to wait until next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HopefulGEM

Does anyone know when ucd will contact us about registration?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Mand4990

Anyone hoping to apply GEM next year I have lots of material. PM for details.

Advertisement