Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2014?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mecci

Cosle wrote: »
    ...if you are over 23 when you start the course, you can claim job seekers allowance for time off and also you can claim tax back on the fees of the course and can get up to 1,4000 back. Helps anyway!

Are you sure about this Cosle? I visited a Citizen's Advice office and was told this is not an option for anyone who has worked before. Surely we couldn't get paid for 'time off' if we intend to change careers?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

Mecci wrote: »
    Are you sure about this Cosle? I visited a Citizen's Advice office and was told this is not an option for anyone who has worked before. Surely we couldn't get paid for 'time off' if we intend to change careers?

Yep, I received it last summer and for the christmas break. You are a mature student and therefore can claim for periods when you are on holidays and as such available for employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mecci

Yep, I received it last summer and for the christmas break. You are a mature student and therefore can claim for periods when you are on holidays and as such available for employment.

Oh I see, so if we can't get work during our holidays we can claim for it

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

Hi, I have been following this thread for a long time. It has proved helpful to hear how others have prepared during the process. Congratulations to those that got what they wanted and to you hopefuls - don't give up!!

Non science background here and I fortunately received enough points for UL or UCC, although UL's PBL approach is what I think will work best for me.

I am working full time, but now that it all seems closer to a reality I must explore finance options through the four years.
    Yep, I received it last
    summer and for the christmas break. You are a mature student and therefore can claim for periods when you are on holidays and as such available for employment.

Cosle, great to know this is an option for the Christmas break. Yet i cant help but ask was this as easy as you make it sound or was there a bit of explaining/economy with the truth?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

Just got off the phone with CAO and the lady told me that the number of applicants is more or less the same! She did seem very reluctant to tell me though ( apparently the general manager doesn't want them to talk about it or something)... Any one has more information about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Academia

tk09aag wrote: »
    Just got off the phone with CAO and the lady told me that the number of applicants is more or less the same! She did seem very reluctant to tell me though ( apparently the general manager doesn't want them to talk about it or something)... Any one has more information about this?

Go to CAO website. Click on one of the links on the left that says media and statistics. Click applicant statistics. Select year applicant statistics from 1st February 2014. No distinction is made between gradmed and undergrad. It says the number of med applicants fell by 6.48% and those that have it as 1st choice fell by 5.86% all in comparison to 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Cosle

Durf wrote: »
    Hi, I have been following this thread for a long time. It has proved helpful to hear how others have prepared during the process. Congratulations to those that got what they wanted and to you hopefuls - don't give up!!

Non science background here and I fortunately received enough points for UL or UCC, although UL's PBL approach is what I think will work best for me.

I am working full time, but now that it all seems closer to a reality I must explore finance options through the four years.

Cosle, great to know this is an option for the Christmas break. Yet i cant help but ask was this as easy as you make it sound or was there a bit of explaining/economy with the truth?

No economy with the truth, went down as soon as I was on my summer break, explained the situation, filled out the forms, got the college to stamp my form and confirm dates of the course. I first went in the summer and they actually told me I should claim for the following christmas break.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Hey everyone! Congrats and well done to everyone who got the points this year :) Was my first time sitting from a non science background and although I'd studied for months the section dragged me way down unfortunately as I was really happy with my section 1 and 2! Anyway picking myself up and aiming for the gamsat in the UK in September. I'm just wondering, from anyone who did it in the UK previously, which test centre/city did ye choose and was it ok? I'm worried I'll find the number of people sitting it in London intimidating and thinking about Bristol instead. Any info/advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and well done to you again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Paddy_mac

kanurocks wrote: »
    It really comes down to the quality of applicant as the score is based of the percentile, which is essentially a rank.

Is it easier to better than 79% of Austrailian people (If there are 10'000 taking the exam) or is it easier to be better than 79% of Irish people (If there are 800 taking the exam).

The score is just a transformation of the rank, designed to give granularity around the the top end of all performers. It is inherently unfair, as the quality of candidate will fluctuate between countries, and from year to year, based on demand.

"The score is just a transformation of the rank,"

I don't think this is true. The curve is shifted to the right and left al the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

No economy with the truth, went down as soon as I was on my summer break, explained the situation, filled out the forms, got the college to stamp my form and confirm dates of the course. I first went in the summer and they actually told me I should claim for the following christmas break.

I would hope to be doing relevant work experience or just earning, nevertheless it is good to know this is available. Thanks, Cosle.

Between years is there pressure to study across the summer or is it possible to take a study break for a few weeks?

• Advertisement

Ballet17 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Congrats and well done to everyone who got the points this year :) Was my first time sitting from a non science background and although I'd studied for months the section dragged me way down unfortunately as I was really happy with my section 1 and 2! Anyway picking myself up and aiming for the gamsat in the UK in September. I'm just wondering, from anyone who did it in the UK previously, which test centre/city did ye choose and was it ok? I'm worried I'll find the number of people sitting it in London intimidating and thinking about Bristol instead. Any info/advice/words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated! Thanks and well done to you again! :)

I did the UK GAMSAT last September in Excel London Royal Victoria Docks. It was my 2nd attempt. There was a crowd alright; was I intimidated? No. My centre was full of youngsters (under 25's), probably first timers. It was a huge hall, so people got away with such things as chattering when they are not supposed to. It was more relaxed in comparison to Dublin GAMSAT 2013 (I wasn't relaxed though!). It was easy to get distracted because of the noise especially with people going to toilets but as a 2nd timer it will be easy for you to keep your head down and avoid the distraction. While people were getting off their seats to the toilets before the beginning of section II, I was busy writing down/recollecting phrases/grammar to be used for my essay (I scored late 70s in that section). What was remarkable was that when the time was up, one invigilator waited for a good 4 or so minutes (no exaggeration!) for a girl to finish marking her answers... just to show you how relaxed my centre was. It wasn't fair on others, still I felt sorry for this girl as she just filled in the blanks - definitely a 1st timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Academia wrote: »
    I did the UK GAMSAT last September in Excel London Royal Victoria Docks. It was my 2nd attempt. There was a crowd alright; was I intimidated? No. My centre was full of youngsters (under 25's), probably first timers. It was a huge hall, so people got away with such things as chattering when they are not supposed to. It was more relaxed in comparison to Dublin GAMSAT 2013 (I wasn't relaxed though!). It was easy to get distracted because of the noise especially with people going to toilets but as a 2nd timer it will be easy for you to keep your head down and avoid the distraction. While people were getting off their seats to the toilets before the beginning of section II, I was busy writing down/recollecting phrases/grammar to be used for my essay (I scored late 70s in that section). What was remarkable was that when the time was up, one invigilator waited for a good 4 or so minutes (no exaggeration!) for a girl to finish marking her answers... just to show you how relaxed my centre was. It wasn't fair on others, still I felt sorry for this girl as she just filled in the blanks - definitely a 1st timer.

Wow that is relaxed! Great, gives me something to think about so :) Thanks for your response!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

Academia wrote: »

Thanks for the info :)
    Did you wait until you found out where the test centre was on the admission ticket to book flights and stuff or is always in the Excel?

person78 wrote: »
    Thanks for the info :)
    Did you wait until you found out where the test centre was on the admission ticket to book flights and stuff or is always in the Excel?

I am sure there are other centres, I booked flights the day I got my admission tickets. Got into London a day before the exam, in the afternoon. It was my 2nd time being in London. The tube service is phenomenal :) From Gatwick airport, I bought a day pass and took two trains down to the Excel first, before going to my hotel holiday inn royal express, which is 15 mins walk to the Excel. At the time flight from Dublin to Gatwick then getting a train to London was cheaper than flying from Dublin to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

Paddy_mac wrote: »
    "The score is just a transformation of the rank,"

I don't think this is true. The curve is shifted to the right and left al the time.

I don't think that proves or disproves what I said? i'm just guessing so it's pure speculation. I work in credit-scoring so I'm just trying to think how i'd do it. A single prototype transformation would be the best way to get from percentile to a arbitrary score. But in order to assure that a 59 ( just picking a score) is the same in 2014 as it was in 2013, they would have to back-score against all previous applicants allowing for some deviation in other factors. I really don't think they do that. I just don't think they're that sophisticated. Thus why we see the logit percentile shift from right to left.

Again random speculation on my behalf. I could be wrong? I often am :) I'd love to actually talk to their statistician/math person. What's the harm in a little more transparency? Especially when the stakes are this high.

Again, above statement is my personal supposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

I knew it could be done for the Summer, but you were really able to claim it for Christmas also?? Wow, interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

kanurocks wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if this is speculation? I hear a lot of people mentioning that the UK exam is easier?? Can you shed some light on why this is???

Thanks.

I am only speaking from experience. As one from a non science background, I found Sep 13 s3 easier compared to those in Mar 13 & 14. There were repetition in the latter 2, with mad shapes (in org chem, sth about 'cleaved'), not to forget the graphs. Sep 13 s3 wasn't that bad (there were no graphs!). Maybe it's just because I can't interpret a graph even to save my life. Something is definitely up that makes UK gamsat more favourable than the Irish one, for instance, while I was on the same percentile for Sep 13 & Mar 14, I got a lower score for Mar 14. Attempting UK gamsat is one that goes without saying in my view.

Does anyone know if all round zero offers go out on the same day or do they spread them out over a couple of days?

Anyone ever considered popping a few Ritalin or something other than sugar and caffeine to boost a GAMSAT performance?

I haven't done a test while on smart meds but I think I would have done better on Ritalin. I'd definitely have completed more questions in Section 3.

Anyone ever considered popping a few Ritalin or something other than sugar and caffeine to boost a GAMSAT performance?

I haven't done a test while on smart meds but I think I would have done better on Ritalin. I'd definitely have completed more questions in Section 3.[/quote

Have they legalised that yet? Lol

• Advertisement

Have they legalised that yet? Lol[/QUOTE]

I'd love to hear from someone that had improved a score medically for the Gamsat. :-) LOL

Anyone ???

If you had a doc's script for a drug, then it'd be legal for sure.
    I'm not saying that I've ever taken any such mecications ...(ahem!) but from what I've heard they do speed up and focus your mind.
    There used for ppl with alzheimer's or ADHD.

If some ppl are using these uppers it puts the rest of us at a disadvantage.

Have they legalised that yet? Lol

I'd love to hear from someone that had improved a score medically for the Gamsat. :-) LOL

Anyone ???

If you had a doc's script for a drug, then it'd be legal for sure.
    I'm not saying that I've ever taken any such mecications ...(ahem!) but from what I've heard they do speed up and focus your mind.
    There used for ppl with alzheimer's or ADHD.

If some ppl are using these uppers it puts the rest of us at a disadvantage.[/quote

Mate I am a pre reg pharmacist and I kid you not, we get so many patient returned medicines with methylphenidate of all sorts ( unopened boxes without the label).... So many people just got to their gp, ask for it because their child has "ADHD"... Just to claim benefits. Moral of the story is.... You can easily get it if you want to..lol.... Give it a go, might put you to sleep half way through the exam though haha

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

I used pro plus caffeine tablets during the last exam and thought they were very good! Mainly used them for the science section, every time I felt a lull in my concentration I would take one and that would keep me going for another hour or so!

I did think I was going to have a heart attack after so make sure you don't over do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

If some ppl are using these uppers it puts the rest of us at a disadvantage.

Stimulants of any sort generally increase speed but decrease accuracy so uppers may not give them the advantage you or they believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

I haven't done a test while on smart meds but I think I would have done better on Ritalin. I'd definitely have completed more questions in Section 3.

Interesting point here.

How do Doctors work longer hours than lorry drivers or pilots say, and stay awake and perform at the top level of their competency?

j.mcdrmd wrote: »
    Interesting point here.

How do Doctors work longer hours than lorry drivers or pilots say, and stay awake and perform at the top level of their competency?

They are no different to lorry drivers or pilots. If they don't get enough sleep they DON'T perform at a top level or even a competent one.
    Where did you get the impression that they are somehow super-human?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HopefulGEM

Just wondering did anyone use that pass gamsat by Thomasz Forfa material as prep? Was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭j.mcdrmd

echo beach wrote: »
    They are no different to lorry drivers or pilots. If they don't get enough sleep they DON'T perform at a top level or even a competent one.
    Where did you get the impression that they are somehow super-human?

Where did I get the impression that Doctor expected to be super-human?

From the HSE!

j.mcdrmd wrote: »
    Where did I get the impression that Doctor expected to be super-human?

From the HSE!

Ah yes, that well-known source of truth and knowledge.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 NCOL

tk09aag wrote: »
    Thanks mate! What unis have you applied to? also it'll be interesting to know what everyone's first degree was in? Any pharmacy graduates?

Hey did pharmacy in UCC hoping the points don't change too drastically for GEM there this year! Where have you applied for?

Advertisement