Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2014?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 eeefchief

Hello everyone,

Congratulations on offers, and good luck in the next rounds.
    I was wondering if anyone would be interested in a house share for next year? I am moving to Dublin from Belfast and will be in RCSI!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

HopefulGEM wrote: »
    Does anyone know when ucd will contact us about registration?

I''d say we'll get an information/welcome pack in the post on Monday ! Will probably contain info on Garda Vetting, Vaccinations, Registration etc. Also, join the UCD GEM 2018 FB page if you haven't already !

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

Really hoping ucc drops one point at some point. If not then off to UL happily enough. Anyone in a similar situation looking at getting a house in lateish august by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

Congrats to everyone who got in. To all my fellow UL GM, see ya september

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

Hi all, congrats on all the offers.
    For those who got offered Cork, we (2 GEM 3's) have two rooms available in a house less than five minutes from the Brookfield Health Science complex and 15 minutes from Cork University Hospital. The house is on St. Claires avenue just off college road.

Please contact me at nokeeffe1 @ gmail . com if you're interested or have any further questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 laurafinnegan

Hey,

Congrats to everyone who got an offer, fingers crossed for everyone who's waiting! I'll be joining the UL 2014 class and was just wondering if there was anyone else in the same position here... Would love to get in contact before we start!

😊😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

Hi! I got an offer from UL too. I can't wait to start :) just waiting for the documents to arrive from UL so I can have a better idea of when we start etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

Hey,

Congrats to everyone who got an offer, fingers crossed for everyone who's waiting! I'll be joining the UL 2014 class and was just wondering if there was anyone else in the same position here... Would love to get in contact before we start!

😊😊😊

Yes of course :D, not sure if theres a gem ul facebook page for 2014 students yet. But wouldnt hurt to get to know people that got in awsell before we start.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭TGJD

harmo08 wrote: »
    Yes of course :D, not sure if theres a gem ul facebook page for 2014 students yet. But wouldnt hurt to get to know people that got in awsell before we start.

Yup. UL as well most likely unless ucc drops next round. Need to sign my loan too but was told in june I should be golden. Good idea to get to know classmates. I don't use facebook though which makes it tougher in general.
    Im curious to see the age range of the gem class. I am assuming I'd be amount the youngest at early twenties? Is late 20s more common for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Confused1987

There is already a Facebook group for the 2014 class, just look up 'University of Limerick - Medicine - (UL Med) - Class of 2018'. That's the name of the page and appears to have most the people starting in September!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 laurafinnegan

There is already a Facebook group for the 2014 class, just look up 'University of Limerick - Medicine - (UL Med) - Class of 2018'. That's the name of the page and appears to have most the people starting in September!

Brill! I just requested to join! Thanks everybody! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 galway24

Hi there, I'm just wondering if any of you know of somebody who gives grinds in Section 3, I am a recently qualified Physio and have started looking at exam papers but I am finding the Science part very difficult as my Chemistry and Physics knowledge would be very basic! Any information would be greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 frosty_11

Khanacademy...free online videos! Very useful I thought :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Anyone receive mail/call from RCSI this morning about an offer? Email immediately followed by call. I did, knew I would, thought I'd be excited (I was, perhaps still am)... The fees has just dawned on me...suddenly I'm panicking. I am not waiting till the 18th... Will be heading down 2 Stephens green early next week. Bank statements ready, no guarantor, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kanurocks

They contacted you before the round one offers???

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Intetesting proposal to provide tax relief to GEM students on loans if they stay and work in Ireland. No guarantee it'll happen, of course.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/new-tax-proposal-aims-to-keep-junior-doctors-in-ireland-638713.html

kanurocks wrote: »
    They contacted you before the round one offers???

Yeah, I received an email while at work. Read it (asking if I was in a position to accept an offer) but couldn'the believe it, didn't respond back, got call 5 mind afterwards 4rm admission office asking same question.... I asked the lady over the phone to give me time to think.... I decided to just say yeah by mail... I believe now I made the right choice... Of course my place is subject to an acceptance of an offer through CAO on the 18th, so the mail says.

Yeah, I received an email while at work. Read it (asking if I was in a position to accept an offer) but couldn'the believe it, didn't respond back, got call 5 mind afterwards 4rm admission office asking same question.... I asked the lady over the phone to give me time to think.... I decided to just say yeah by mail... I believe now I made the right choice... Of course my place is subject to an acceptance of an offer through CAO on the 18th, so the mail says.

Had you accepted UCC or UL ?? What score did you get??

Had you accepted UCC or UL ?? What score did you get??
    I got 56... Accepted UCC, happy with it but I prefer to study in Dublin.

I got 56... Accepted UCC, happy with it but I prefer to study in Dublin.

Man. That's an absolute ditto. Was hoping for a 2nd round offer from RCSI.

• Advertisement

Man. That's an absolute ditto. Was hoping for a 2nd round offer from RCSI.
    What score are you applying with and where did you get?

What score are you applying with and where did you get?

Have a 56. Accepted UCC. Was down there Friday applying for the loan :)

Have a 56. Accepted UCC. Was down there Friday applying for the loan :)
    Hope it turns out well for you... I am really anxious about the loan. I'd go to BOI with a copy of the mail from RCSI to know what the story is.

Hope it turns out well for you... I am really anxious about the loan. I'd go to BOI with a copy of the mail from RCSI to know what the story is.

Yeah, I work in banking. I had a 60 min chat with the BOI UCC officer. The loan is now broken down into 15k a year based on annual applications. And it's almost entirely based on the quality of your guarantor, which is mandatory.

Yeah, I work in banking. I had a 60 min chat with the BOI UCC officer. The loan is now broken down into 15k a year based on annual applications. And it's almost entirely based on the quality of your guarantor, which is mandatory.

Guarantor?? I am in trouble then.... Say I have a guarantor (which I don't), must it be a family member. Further how much savings do you think will make BOI give me a loan? Is that even considered? I am with them 12 years now, never gotten a loan from them before (not that I haven't tried)

Guarantor?? I am in trouble then.... Say I have a guarantor (which I don't), must it be a family member. Further how much savings do you think will make BOI give me a loan? Is that even considered? I am with them 12 years now, never gotten a loan from them before (not that I haven't tried)

The guarantor has to be a primary family member (mother, father, brother). I don't know if they'll consider the grad med loan, but perhaps another facility!

The problem is that it's a completely unsecured debt. There is no underlying asset to ameliorate the potential loss :(

You gotta just sit down with them and see what happens!

The guarantor has to be a primary family member (mother, father, brother). I don't know if they'll consider the grad med loan, but perhaps another facility!

The problem is that it's a completely unsecured debt. There is no underlying asset to ameliorate the potential loss :(

You gotta just sit down with them and see what happens!
    Right, that's the plan, go there and see what they say. I kinda positive on this one, so fingers crossed.

Right, that's the plan, go there and see what they say. I kinda positive on this one, so fingers crossed.

Look, these guys are really sympathetic to graduate medicine. I'm sure they'll do everything in their power to get you where you need to be!

Look, these guys are really sympathetic to graduate medicine. I'm sure they'll do everything in their power to get you where you need to be!

Thank you for the reassurance, but do you think cash in bank is a viable security? And how much would you say if asked to take a guess?

• Advertisement

Thank you for the reassurance, but do you think cash in bank is a viable security? And how much would you say if asked to take a guess?

I wouldn't know... It doesn't usually work like that.. You would look for a guarantor that's a homeowner, because there is tangible asset security. They'd be worried who would pay the loan if you drop out. Your current salary/repayment ability would be a huge factor!

Advertisement