Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Ronnie won't win this if he doesn't get his act together some very shocking easy misses,he just can't get going like he usually can to take the lead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

syngindub wrote: »
    for us poor c*nts in work. what's this about?

Just me venting because coverage of the live game cut at a crucial moment for some political debate twaddle. As mentioned above, I guess that's what the red button is for really, so scheduled stuff doesn't have to be interrupted. They don't have issue interrupting scheduled programming for Tennis mind!

Anyway, gonna go out on a limb here & say I can't see Ronnie lifting the world title again. I reckon five is where he'll stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

So McGill's adventure is over loosing 13-8 to Murphy. But well done to him an brightening up the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

colossus-x wrote: »
    The introductory part of the proceedings conducted nowadays is nothing short of cringe-worthy. I usually mute my TV if I'm watching. How could loud rock 'n roll style of music at ear shattering volume be in any way appropriate for the gentlemanly game of snooker. A sad attempt to jazz it up. Totally unnecessary - people love snooker for what it is. To make it look like something else just won't work to increase public interest - if that's the reason behind it.

I like the part where Rob Walker introduces the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

The introductory part of the proceedings conducted nowadays is nothing short of cringe-worthy. I usually mute my TV if I'm watching. How could loud rock 'n roll style of music at ear shattering volume be in any way appropriate for the gentlemanly game of snooker. A sad attempt to jazz it up. Totally unnecessary - people love snooker for what it is. To make it look like something else just won't work to increase public interest - if that's the reason behind it.

I used to feel the same about it when it was first introduced. But at that time the game of snooker was dying on its feet. Since then it definitely has improved in popularity. I would rather see the game survive with this type of jazz and hype rather than see the game die a death. Its what audiences want these days like it or not. But I hear what you're saying

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,120 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Terrible miss by Bingham

Ronnie looks like he's coming into a bit of form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Would john Virgo ever shut up!! Gah!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Does anybody have the red button?

Only for Eurosport i would have lost all interest in snooker. Their coverage is not as good as the BBC but they put in so much more effort into coverage.

It's on sky anyhow choice was available for Ronnie Bingham whilst BBC showed the conclusion of Murphy McGill,I had to put it on for Hendrys commentary prefer him over the pair on Eurosport it is frustrating going into it tho takes a minute to load up and if u want to see the other table it's a pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

eeepaulo wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/snooker/32102315

then click the live coverage tab, dont know if this is geolocked as i have smart dns

It is but I've got around that. Anway there weren't streaming it live when I looked, there was only 4 catchup programmes available where u just linked too. Maybe the red button is on iPlayer - I'm not sure , best check that for next time. My satellite dish has been moved out of alignment, what a week for it to happen :(
    mdwexford wrote: »
    Lol what are you talking about.

It's a song of the players choice at a perfectly fine volume.

The players being introduced the way they are is fine.

Sorry - it's not like I'm just making something up out of thin air. I don't think introducing opponents in the style of a boxing match when the sport is ordinarily played in silence is appropriate and I'm just expressing that I don't like it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way players were introduced in the past minus the corny nicknames. Even Steve Davis said quote 'does every player have to have a nickname'. Some ppl have said they like it fine or got used to it - I haven't' but I've been watching snooker since 1983. The last thing I would ever want in snooker is that it would attract that all too common yobbish youth male element that pervades the soccer world. I'm sorry but I really cannot stomach Rob Walker.
    Would john Virgo ever shut up!! Gah!
    Exactly ! Virgo constantly over-egging it just does not do it for me. Cringe again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Does anybody have the red button?

Only for Eurosport i would have lost all interest in snooker. Their coverage is not as good as the BBC but they put in so much more effort into coverage.

Yeah I have the red button available.

I sometimes prefer Eurosports commentary over the BBC's. Nice to hear a different voice and not "where the CUE BALL GOING" every few minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I actually really like the 'old guard' of BBC commentators :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Myrddin wrote: »

Yeah me too! Don't like the Eurosport commentators as they keep making farty noises with their microphones especially Joe Johnson!

Alan McManus should have been brought immediately into the Eurosport studios after he exited

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

hopefully we'll see Mcgill next year,

like him and his cheeky smile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

It is but I've got around that. Anway there weren't streaming it live when I looked, there was only 4 catchup programmes available where u just linked too. Maybe the red button is on iPlayer - I'm not sure , best check that for next time. My satellite dish has been moved out of alignment, what a week for it to happen

Im finding the streaming through the bbc sports hit and miss.

I have my router set to smart dns.

I have the bbc sports app on a samsung smart tv, there are three options, table one, table two and bbc coverage, only the third one works.

On a windows pc it works fine through the bbc website link.

On my tablet it only loads the bbc coverage through the website.

I prefer eurosport for just staying with the arena, instead of going back to listen to them talk bollox in the winter gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Sorry - it's not like I'm just making something up out of thin air. I don't think introducing opponents in the style of a boxing match when the sport is ordinarily played in silence is appropriate and I'm just expressing that I don't like it. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the way players were introduced in the past minus the corny nicknames. Even Steve Davis said quote 'does every player have to have a nickname'. Some ppl have said they like it fine or got used to it - I haven't' but I've been watching snooker since 1983. The last thing I would ever want in snooker is that it would attract that all too common yobbish youth male element that pervades the soccer world. I'm sorry but I really cannot stomach Rob Walker

Well it's a sporting event not a library.

It's gets the atmosphere going a bit and there's still total silence once play begins so I don't see the harm.

I've been watching since the late 80s myself and if stuff like this makes the game more popular then I'm all for it. You are coming across quite snobbish with those comments. Hearne is taking a few ideas from what he's done with the PDC darts which again some people don't like but prize money and popularity have gone through the roof since he made these changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Myrddin wrote: »

I like most of the old stagers. Not keen on Willie Thorne when Selby is playing (serious Leicester bias) or John Virgo with the moronic "where's the cue ball going" otherwise they all do a decent job.

If you ever get desperate to see the snooker, bet365 have the games live, on a tiny tiny window!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Credit again to Eurosport for their comprehensive coverage of the World's. I know BBC have a fancy winter garden with a plasma TV, but Eurosport actually show full coverage of matches, which is more important to me! I actually don't mind the commentators on ES that much if I am honest. Hendry for me is the best commentator on BBC, he tells it the way he sees it.

I said before the tournament begun, Murphy or Trump will win, I will stand by my prediction.

Credit must go to Hawkins by the way, he's not playing great, but he's having another great championship- dark horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Still on course for a mouth watering semi-final line up of Shaun Murphy V Neil Robertson and Ronnie V Judd.

You'd have to say out of the four Ronnie has been the least impressive thus far but providing he can get past Bingham (no certainty) you'd imagine he'll turn up the focus and concentration for what will be a really tough challenge. Judd playing the best snooker of the tournament so far and will probably start favourite against Ronnie.

Judd has a pretty good record against Ronnie but was no match for him here two years ago in the Semi's. He's obviously a better player these days though so that one should be a cracker. I'd fancy Shaun Murphy to beat Hawkins/Robertson as well. Playing some great stuff this week. Murphy used to annoy me but he's grown on me in recent years and he's great to watch. One of the most attacking players in the game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Not if the rest of the public has such a silly opinion it won't.

Well maybe silly is a bit strong, but turning down your TV for a bit of music? That would be silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Pighead wrote: »
    Judd playing the best snooker of the tournament so far and will probably start favourite against Ronnie.

No chance of this although prices will be tighter than they would have been pre tournament.

It'll be about this id imagine

Ronnie 2/5
    Judd 7/4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

not caught any of the Robertson Hawkins match but it seems to be a close battle. currently 8-8 with Hawkins in control

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

Bingham really putting it up to Ronnie here.

Looking for a 147.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

Bingham really putting it up to Ronnie here.

Looking for a 147.

It's looking like Bingham has the upper hand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 otoolepw

Looks like Ronnie is on his way out, he's not in the zone at all whereas in fairness to Bingham, he's got stuck right in there and has the bit between his teeth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭CFlat

I'd be awful slow to right off ROS this early. SB just one frame ahead at the moment. Ronnie could come out and win two very quick frames and its still all to play for.

I can't believe BBC have just done that for a bloody cooking show :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

CFlat wrote: »

Madness alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

CFlat wrote: »
    I'd be awful slow to right off ROS this early. SB just one frame ahead at the moment. Ronnie could come out and win two very quick frames and its still all to play for.

Their coverage is beyond terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

It has to be the most ridiculous thing ever to not be able to continue watching the televised match on the red button.

How is that possibly suiting anyone, even those in the uk with PC access?

Bloody joke...

Advertisement