Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Championship 2015

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Robertson falling apart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Didn't get to see what Ronnie did with the chalk. There was no coverage at all on the red button of his match yesterday, but there were plenty of repeats, celeb jibber jabber etc. :rolleyes: (I just record the red button all day on Freesat and catch up when I get home)

Usually they use the time when that table's not in play to show you as much as they can of the play from earlier on the other table.

Seems Ronnie has at least one bizarre incident in every match now, his head isn't right and will be interesting to see if Bingham can extend his lead today. I don't see O'Sullivan winning the tournament at this rate.

He took his cue chalk and left it on the bed of the table beside the main pack of reds. I'm not sure what shot he was lining up but the point was you can't use any object to aid you in making a judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Robertson lost the first two frames of this session and is 7-3 down. He needs to recover and at least share the next 6 frames to leave it 10-6 going into this evening or 9-7 would be better. He's just made it 7-4 now. I like Hawkins though, he's a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭bren2001

My first bet is gone, had money on Ding. The small bits I saw of Trump, I certainly wasn't as overly impressed as the rest of you on here. Yes, his break building was good but Ding never punished his mistakes. Robertson or Murphy won't let him away with some of the slack play. And for that reason, I can't see him winning. (I only saw small bits of this game).

In relation to Ronnie, I didn't see the incident but there is talk of a retrospective punishment. The ref didn't call it during the game but saw the incident, I would be disappointed if he was punished. It is a fairly simple rule that was violated, everyone knows you can't use object to line up shots or work out angles. Very surprised the he got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

bren2001 wrote: »
    In relation to Ronnie, I didn't see the incident but there is talk of a retrospective punishment. The ref didn't call it during the game but saw the incident, I would be disappointed if he was punished. It is a fairly simple rule that was violated, everyone knows you can't use object to line up shots or work out angles. Very surprised the he got away with it.

Everyone doesnt know, it looked like bingham had an idea but wasnt sure enough to call it, the ref didnt know, neither did stephen hendry or dennis taylor knew in commentary, nor did steve davis in the studio, the only person who knew was ken doherty.

I agree though that he shouldnt be penalised, it was an inadvertant foul that if not called by the ref should be left. I would not expect a player to be fined if they brushed a ball with a sleeve and no one noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

It may be a very unpopular opinion but Im sick of Ronnie to be honest. I know he's the greatest player of all time but he treats the sport with such contempt sometimes. He knows exactly what he is doing with these incidents in my opinion.

Ive been very impressed with McGill so far he has been playing well on the run up to the worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

macpac26 wrote: »
    It may be a very unpopular opinion but Im sick of Ronnie to be honest. I know he's the greatest player of all time but he treats the sport with such contempt sometimes. He knows exactly what he is doing with these incidents in my opinion.

Ive been very impressed with McGill so far he has been playing well on the run up to the worlds.

I agree, he goes on like he doesn't care when he clearly does, when he knows he is going to lose a game he acts very irrational and tries to emphasise he is having a really bad day at the office which is the only reason his opponent could beat him, an incredible talent but sick of him at times. I hope Robertson does the business, really love watching him play

eeepaulo wrote: »
    Everyone doesnt know, it looked like bingham had an idea but wasnt sure enough to call it, the ref didnt know, neither did stephen hendry or dennis taylor knew in commentary, nor did steve davis in the studio, the only person who knew was ken doherty.

I agree though that he shouldnt be penalised, it was an inadvertant foul that if not called by the ref should be left. I would not expect a player to be fined if they brushed a ball with a sleeve and no one noticed.

I was aware that you cannot use your cue to measure gaps, distances and angles and have called friends on it before (granted never docked them points or penalised them). So I assumed it extended to anything that isn't your eyes really.

I don't think it is an unpopular opinion to dislike Ronnie and his antics. It's very hard to dislike his snooker. By far the best to actually watch but he has been infuriating this year. Would prefer to see him gone as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭tanko

Myrddin wrote: »
    Robertson falling apart

Hawkins had Robertson on the ropes there but he was pretty gutless in the last two frames, he started turning down pots and playing safe too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

tanko wrote: »
    Hawkins had Robertson on the ropes there but he was pretty gutless in the last two frames, he started turning down pots and playing safe too much.

He has a good chance to make it 8-5 now.

• Advertisement

He has a good chance to make it 8-5 now.

He fluffed it and let Robertson in to clean up. 7-6.

While we are on the subject of ronnie, does anyone know why he always gets to walk out last?

Im fairly sure he does, might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

While we are on the subject of ronnie, does anyone know why he always gets to walk out last?

Im fairly sure he does, might be wrong.

He's the biggest name in snooker so I reckon that they let him walk out last as part of the spectacle. It's all for show..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,211 ✭✭✭tanko

He fluffed it and let Robertson in to clean up. 7-6.

Hawkins is a decent player but he gives the impression that when the pressure is really on he lacks the killer instinct to push on to the very top level.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Nice to see a competitor obviously enjoying himself too.
    I'd like to see Murphy win.

GerB40 wrote: »
    He's the biggest name in snooker so I reckon that they let him walk out last as part of the spectacle. It's all for show..

I always assumed players walked out in match order and ranking order i.e. the highest ranked player in the match walks out second. Since Ronnie is #2, only Selby could walk out after him this year (which can't happen now of course).

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Great recovery from Robertson winning the last 4 frames to make it 7-7. Hawkins will be lucky to get out of this session at 8-8.

I always assumed players walked out in match order and ranking order i.e. the highest ranked player in the match walks out second. Since Ronnie is #2, only Selby could walk out after him this year (which can't happen now of course).

This looks right, just looked at a clip of the final last year, ronnie walked out first.

I just assumed he got it wrote into his contract or something

tanko wrote: »
    Hawkins is a decent player but he gives the impression that when the pressure is really on he lacks the killer instinct to push on to the very top level.

Agreed. He's just that little bit brittle when under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

Regardless of anything else, I find it incredible that in a world championship, everyone is not aware of all the rules, even the ones most unlikely to happen.

There might be some excuse if it was a local club match...but this is the world championship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Wow BBC, just wow :mad:

Is it not on red button ? I'm watching online but no red button streamed online :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

What the hell is ronnies entrance song :confused:

colossus-x wrote: »
    Is it not on red button ? I'm watching online but no red button streamed online :(

They cut the coverage one BBC2 at 14:00. Not everyone has the red button so it can be quite annoying (granted, I do). They stream the red button online!

seanhynes wrote: »
    What the hell is ronnies entrance song :confused:

The introductory part of the proceedings conducted nowadays is nothing short of cringe-worthy. I usually mute my TV if I'm watching. How could loud rock 'n roll style of music at ear shattering volume be in any way appropriate for the gentlemanly game of snooker. A sad attempt to jazz it up. Totally unnecessary - people love snooker for what it is. To make it look like something else just won't work to increase public interest - if that's the reason behind it.

They cut the coverage one BBC2 at 14:00. Not everyone has the red button so it can be quite annoying (granted, I do). They stream the red button online!

Anyone can tune in the red button channel on any satellite box. You just need the frequency details. Then you can access it just like any normal channel and actually it can be quicker to channel hop to it that way !! BTW the red button was introduced precisely so programs could start and stop when they were scheduled as per the guide. It would be absurd to introduce the red button and to continue to overrun on the main channel.

Where was the red button steamed online my I ask ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Myrddin wrote: »
    Wow BBC, just wow :mad:

for us poor c*nts in work. what's this about?

Anyone can tune in the red button channel on any satellite box. You just need the frequency details. Then you can access it just like any normal channel and actually it can be quicker to channel hop to it that way !! BTW the red button was introduced precisely so programs could start and stop when they were scheduled as per the guide. It would be absurd to introduce the red button and to continue to overrun on the main channel.

Not everyone has a satellite is really my point. Yes, easy with one.

Just google BBC red button stream and you'll find the link to it on the BBC website. I'd link it but I'm on my phone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/snooker/32102315

then click the live coverage tab, dont know if this is geolocked as i have smart dns

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

The introductory part of the proceedings conducted nowadays is nothing short of cringe-worthy. I usually mute my TV if I'm watching. How could loud rock 'n roll style of music at ear shattering volume be in any way appropriate for the gentlemanly game of snooker. A sad attempt to jazz it up. Totally unnecessary - people love snooker for what it is. To make it look like something else just won't work to increase public interest - if that's the reason behind it.

Lol what are you talking about.

It's a song of the players choice at a perfectly fine volume.

The players being introduced the way they are is fine.

Advertisement