Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The victims of Ricky Gervais

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

the_syco wrote: »
    Self regulation? o.0

Well it helps keep the population down because it eventually starts to wipe them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

smash wrote: »
    Well it helps keep the population down because it eventually starts to wipe them out.
    And the 'self' bit?

And the 'self' bit?
    That was just a typo. I was going to write that the rabbit population is pretty much self regulating because of Myxomatosis.

It's nature culling nature to protect nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That was just a typo. I was going to write that the rabbit population is pretty much self regulating because of Myxomatosis.

Natures way of controlling that problem would be with predators, not allowing a disease to run rampant through the population. The predator can cherry pick the sick animals out of the population whereas the disease will take out entire populations, including the ones with genes that would be beneficial to pass on. It could lead to a dramatic decline in rabbit populations to the point the gene pool becomes shallow encouraging more disease in the population.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

ScumLord wrote: »
    Hunting is about knowing your prey and it's weaknesses and then exploit that weakness.

Having a gun tends to help too.

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    "Didn't I do well?" For each photograph, what is it that you think the person wants the viewer to feel that have done well?

Perhaps you think the smiling butcher with a plate of meat wants the viewer to celebrate the fact that he has just killed the animal from which it came. I think he wants them to think the meat looks nice so they will go to his shop and buy some.

I am pretty comfortable with my assumptions as to the intent behind both photographs, and my argument as to why your comparison of both is not valid.

:D

I will bow to your expertise in analysing the reasons for the smiles of people who pose with dead animals, and I admire your confidence in saying your reasons are the only reasons and no other reasons are possible. I have not studied psychology or met the people in either photo.

Incidentally, I never suggested anything about the butcher celebrating. I actually suggested a different reason, that like the hunter both are just satisfied with matters. You have prescribed the only reasons for the smiles, you don't also have to make up arguments to get your point across the line!

That was just a typo.
    Hmmm... Indeed...
    I was going to write that the rabbit population is pretty much self regulating because of Myxomatosis.

You do know that it was man that introduced to the rabbits' environment?

I have not studied psychology or met the people in either photo.
    Once you go into the psychology of a person having their photo taken you'll probably find that most people will smile when they pose for a photo and if they don't someone will tell them to smile. It could easily be argued she was smiling for the camera rather than over what she did.

Natures way of controlling that problem would be with predators, not allowing a disease to run rampant through the population. The predator can cherry pick the sick animals out of the population whereas the disease will take out entire populations, including the ones with genes that would be beneficial to pass on. It could lead to a dramatic decline in rabbit populations to the point the gene pool becomes shallow encouraging more disease in the population.

They might be cute and cuddly (and tasty), but when you exit a pet shop they're just a pest. They destroy land and there's not enough predators to take them out.
    You do know that it was man that introduced to the rabbits' environment?
    ? See, anyone can have a typo. But anyway... Introduced by man or not, it eventually makes it way into healthy populations and regulates their numbers. They'll die off and then be back again. Rinse and repeat.
    It could easily be argued she was smiling for the camera rather than over what she did.
    It could be, but lets be realistic here: she was posing with her kill in the same way a fisherman will pose with his catch.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,241 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

[QUOTE=smash;95112865
    ? See, anyone can have a typo. But anyway... Introduced by man or not, it eventually makes it way into healthy populations and regulates their numbers. They'll die off and then be back again. Rinse and repeat.

.[/QUOTE]

except as a population control agent its benefits are short term

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis#Use_as_a_population_control_agent

• Advertisement

except as a population control agent its benefits are short term

I know, it's a rinse and repeat system like I stated. But these days even without human introduction you'll see it working it's way into populations as they expand.

? See, anyone can have a typo.
    A four-letter typo. Sure.
    But anyway... Introduced by man or not, it eventually makes it way into healthy populations and regulates their numbers. They'll die off and then be back again. Rinse and repeat.
    Myxomatosis was not "nature culling nature to protect nature", it was man culling nature to control a pest. The "it's part of nature now" is a is even less believable as the 'typo' defense.

I know, it's a rinse and repeat system like I stated. But these days even without human introduction you'll see it working it's way into populations as they expand.

there is no repeat. the ones that survive and live to breed are not affected by the virus. you eventually end up with a population with natural immunity.

It could be, but lets be realistic here: she was posing with her kill in the same way a fisherman will pose with his catch.
    So if she had an angry face in the photo this wouldn't be an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Shows a lack of respect for the animal but sure nothing out of the ordinary there. Fisherman holding large swordfish is pretty much the same.

In fact, I'd say if hunters only did this with animals they hunted in the wild, then I would say that would be a hell of a lot more respect than the vast majority of animals that end up as food in our supermarkets ever get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

She's also clearly thinking about muffins. It's written all over her face.

Anyone else what to share some perceptions with the group?

To quote yourself..

Couldn't beat them so you joined them.

A four-letter typo. Sure.

I've already stated what my original post was which contained the word in it. You've contributed pretty much fcuk all to the tread except to pick people's posts apart and wind people up.

Umaro wrote: »
    To quote yourself..

Couldn't beat them so you joined them.

the difference is that the corinthian knew he was posting nonsense.

So if she had an angry face in the photo this wouldn't be an issue?

It's not do with her face though really. It's to do with actions. There's more than one photo by the way.

the difference is that the corinthian knew he was posting nonsense.

Trolling then

• Advertisement

Trolling then

its called humour.

In fact, I'd say if hunters only did this with animals they hunted in the wild, then I would say that would be a hell of a lot more respect than the vast majority of animals that end up as food in our supermarkets ever get.
    I don't know that farming is more disrespectful to animals. Farmers are usually at the birth of each animal under their care. They raise them, feed them, get them treatment when their sick. I know that there are bad farmers out there but I think in Ireland at least most cows live pretty idyllic lives. I've seen farmers on the verge of crying over losing some sheep to foxes. I think farmers do care, they spend their lives with these animals, they depend on these animals for their livelihood.

I wouldn't say it's any more or less respect than a hunter would have for the animals they kill, it's a very different way of dealing with animals, that require different mindsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,361 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Clovis people deserved respect, anyone that faced down a mammoth with just spears had real courage, and the animal was killed for food.

Clovis people deserved respect, anyone that faced down a mammoth with just spears had real courage, and the animal was killed for food.
    They probably had much smarter ways of killing them rather than just killing them with spears. There are videos of African tribes hunting elephants with spears and it's a long drawn out affair, it's looks horrible and dangerous for the people doing the hunting.

But when you see the tribes that still do persistence hunting it shows that people in the distant past were much craftier about their hunting tactics. Unlike neanderthals that got up close and personal with their killing humans had a knack for killing at a distance, or killing using their in depth knowledge of how the animal behaves. It quite likely they set up mammoths so they didn't need to kill them using spears.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yes it does but it's a horrible slow death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I don't know that farming is more disrespectful to animals. Farmers are usually at the birth of each animal under their care.
    Well I deliberately said supermarkets rather than butchers as I was really referring to cheap meat and what in general the animals that end up as such tend to endure. Battery chickens, intensively raised pigs etc. I know given the choice I'd rather take my chances in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

well first off it makes absolutely no difference to the animals why they are killed.

Can't find a link that isn't just recorded off a TV with a phone but this is a good excuse for the best bit in My Cousin Vinny:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Yes it does but it's a horrible slow death.

You mean being eaten alive by lions or another predator ? Nature is cruel dark and survival of the fittest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

I don't know that farming is more disrespectful to animals. Farmers are usually at the birth of each animal under their care. They raise them, feed them, get them treatment when their sick. I know that there are bad farmers out there but I think in Ireland at least most cows live pretty idyllic lives. I've seen farmers on the verge of crying over losing some sheep to foxes. I think farmers do care, they spend their lives with these animals, they depend on these animals for their livelihood.

I wouldn't say it's any more or less respect than a hunter would have for the animals they kill, it's a very different way of dealing with animals, that require different mindsets.

I think the big issue is with factory farming, and not with small farmers who genuinely care for their animals.
    Animals housed in their thousands in close quarters, receiving unnatural foodstuffs and administered large amounts of antibiotics, so that they don't die from being cramped so close together, is far more horrible than a hunter posting an image on facebook of a wild animal that lived its life pretty freely up to the point that it was shot, but i guess people want their cheap meat.

A lot of people dont realise that a lot of these animals being shot by hunters going over to Africa, are coming back from verge of extinction, because hunters pay a lot of money for these tags, and it is profitable then for these countries to ensure that there is healthy stable populations of these animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

The term she uses to describe herself 'Extreme Huntress' reminds me of the movie 'The Hostel'.

Advertisement