Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The victims of Ricky Gervais

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Knew someone would reply being smart. Shows lack of intelligence when it comes to hunting.
    Like everyone else you think it's walk into field and shoot everything in sight well it's not!
    Maybe go out hunting with someone and you may learn and change your opinion

Didn't you yourself say it was about getting out and enjoying the beauty of the landscape?
    Or is the landscape only beautiful while you hunt, and you wouldn't leave the house otherwise?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I'd like to take this cow and stick her in the ring with Katy Taylor.

"Right Rebecca, you've got two fists and you're taller than Katy (nearly everyone is), so it's a fair fight. Get busy"

See how brave she is then. Nice flurry of jabs would turn that smarmy grin into a toothless grimace

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I have no issue as long as it's legal.
    I don't pay much attention to the legality of peoples acts -since there are lots of ludicrous laws that I would disagree with. Also many acts I would have issues with are perfectly legal. Like someone holding on to a fart to let it off in a lift full of people -perfectly legal, and a perfect cunt for doing it. Or a less odd example, taking up the job of chugging, perfectly legal but known to be highly objectionable.
    No, she was asked to kill a specific giraffe.
    The carcass was then given to the locals so they could eat the meat.

People won't go hunger as a result of her actions, I think that's quite an accomplishment.
    I would think my local butcher or farmer to be an oddball fucker if he laid down to be photographed beside a pig he just slaughtered smiling & grinning like a prize cunt. Or a vet posing with a kitten he had to put down for humane reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Shenshen wrote: »
    Didn't you yourself say it was about getting out and enjoying the beauty of the landscape?
    Or is the landscape only beautiful while you hunt, and you wouldn't leave the house otherwise?

I also sai people think hunting is about going to a field an killing everything in sight but it's not!
    I do walk my permission without a gun often bringing my daughter and showing her all the different animals about and educating her on them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Knew someone would reply being smart. Shows lack of intelligence when it comes to hunting.
    Not at all, please read below.
    Like everyone else you think it's walk into field and shoot everything in sight well it's not!
    No I don't. My reply was in relation to your quote of:
    "Not always about the hunt! It's about getting out instead of being like half the people posting on this being keyboard warriors sitting on their hole talking Shiite an being complete hypocrites."

If it's about getting out, then go hill walking...
    Maybe go out hunting with someone and you may learn and change your opinion
    But I've no need or want to go out hunting.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    I would think my local butcher or farmer to be an oddball fucker if he laid down to be photographed beside a pig he just slaughtered smiling & grinning like a prize cunt. Or a vet posing with a kitten he had to put down for humane reasons.

Plenty of pics of them standing up, grinning and holding out the results of their work...

27043590-young-chef-holding-raw-meat-professional-butcher-showing-ribs-and-smiling.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Plenty of pics of them standing up, grinning and holding out the results of their work...

27043590-young-chef-holding-raw-meat-professional-butcher-showing-ribs-and-smiling.jpg

Irrelevant to what the poster's point was though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Example is I could see twenty rabbits but I'd only shoot 3. a bullet to the head is guaranteed no suffering. The meat you get in markets or shops is a hell of a lot worse

Wow, what kind of rifle have you got that you can headshot a rabbit every single time? Or do you crouch, smeared in rabbit feces, until they're close enough to look in your eyes while you pop them with a shotgun?

Or, more realistically, how many times have you missed, and watched an injured animal drag itself away to bleed out a long and painful death in its burrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Wow, what kind of rifle have you got that you can headshot a rabbit every single time? Or do you crouch, smeared in rabbit feces, until they're close enough to look in your eyes while you pop them with a shotgun?
    I have a friend who shoots rabbits for people, they're a pest in some parts of the country breeding like.. Wel, rabbits.

He wears a ghillie suit and says they practically hop right up to him. they're not exactly known for being intelligent animals. Hunting is about knowing your prey and it's weaknesses and then exploit that weakness. Once you've some experience under your belt you'll be successful the majority of the time.

osarusan wrote: »
    Irrelevant to what the poster's point was though.

The posters point was that it would be weird if a butcher was posing, grinning, by the results of their kill.

It was exactly the point I addressed.

• Advertisement

The posters point was that it would be weird if a butcher was posing, grinning, by the results of their kill.

It was exactly the point I addressed.

That wasn't the poster's point at all. It's all about the intent behind the photograph.

No comparison between a "look at what i just managed to kill" style photo (which is what rubadub was talking about) and a "you can buy this lovely meat here" advertising photo (which is what you linked to).

Pointless to argue that there is.

That wasn't the poster's point at all. It's all about the intent behind the photograph.

No comparison between a "look at what i just managed to kill" style photo (which is what rubadub was talking about) and a "you can buy this lovely meat here" advertising photo (which is what you linked to).

So once it's been reduced to it's parts it's ok to pose with it? As long as it doesn't have a face you won't get offended, it's far enough removed from the animal it used to be for you to feel good about it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

How did wildlife ever survive before humans became moral guardians of the planet and decided what animals should live or die or what ones should be culled? If only someone would have posed next to a diplodocus that they had shot millions of years ago we would still have dinosaurs.

ScumLord wrote: »
    So once it's been reduced to it's parts it's ok to pose with it? As long as it doesn't have a face you won't get offended, it's far enough removed from the animal it used to be for you to feel good about it again.
    Complete strawman argument, which totally ignores what I posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Or, more realistically, how many times have you missed, and watched an injured animal drag itself away to bleed out a long and painful death in its burrow?

Well with my rifle they don't exactly get back up as it's a fox rifle but on rabbits it's great aswell.
    Question: am I being cruel shooting land riddled with mixxy or should I let them suffer with it?

Complete strawman argument, which totally ignores what I posted.
    It's not, why is it different for a hunter to pose smiling with a dead animal, than a butcher holding a plate of the animal all cut into bits smiling. Some butcher kill the animal, cut it up then hand the bits of the animal to you with a smile. How is that better than a hunter taking a picture with a dead wild animal.

What about farmers that help the cattle into the world, raise it and then have it killed? How is that better than killing an animal you've never met before?

There is very little difference.

Ha!

It comes down to the assumed intent behind the smiles of people posing with dead animals!

You surely would not say it's pointless to suggest their may be motives for smiling other than the 2 identified. Perhaps both have the exact same reason, a satisfied "didn't I do well"?

It's not, why is it different for a hunter to pose smiling with a dead animal, than a butcher holding a plate of the animal all cut into bits smiling. Some butcher kill the animal, cut it up then hand the bits of the animal to you with a smile. How is that better than a hunter taking a picture with a dead wild animal.

What about farmers that help the cattle into the world, raise it and then have it killed? How is that better than killing an animal you've never met before?

There is very little difference.
    Did you even read my post?

It' all about intent, and what the person was trying to express by being in the photograph.

For the woman in the OP, the intent is to display/celebrate the animal they managed to kill. If a butcher took a picture of themselves and a pig they'd just killed with the same intent, that would be very weird - that's the point.

The photographs express completely different things, and that is why Conor74's linked photograph isn't relevant to rubadub's point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Well with my rifle they don't exactly get back up as it's a fox rifle but on rabbits it's great aswell.
    Question: am I being cruel shooting land riddled with mixxy or should I let them suffer with it?

Myxomatosis is pretty much a self regulation for the rabbit population. But if you're hunting for food, although it won't make you sick, I wouldn't be eating a rabbit riddled with it.

Did you even read my post?

It' all about intent, and what the person was trying to express by being in the photograph.

For the woman in the OP, the intent is to display/celebrate the animal they managed to kill. If a butcher took a picture of themselves and a pig they'd just killed with the same intent, that would be very weird - that's the point.

The photographs express completely different things, and that is why Conor74's linked photograph isn't relevant to rubadub's point.
    But killing an animal isn't a big deal to a butcher. A postman doesn't stand beside a door way taking a picture of him posting a letter with a smile on his face because it's not an event to him.

This woman is probably never going to get the opportunity to hunt and kill a giraffe again, it was a once in a lifetime event. We have people taking a photo of every meal they eat and posting it on facebook, then you give out that a person has taken a picture of a once in a lifetime event.

• Advertisement

Ha!

It comes down to the assumed intent behind the smiles of people posing with dead animals!

You surely would not say it's pointless to suggest their may be motives for smiling other than the 2 identified. Perhaps both have the exact same reason, a satisfied "didn't I do well"?

"Didn't I do well?" For each photograph, what is it that you think the person wants the viewer to feel that have done well?

Perhaps you think the smiling butcher with a plate of meat wants the viewer to celebrate the fact that he has just killed the animal from which it came. I think he wants them to think the meat looks nice so they will go to his shop and buy some.

I am pretty comfortable with my assumptions as to the intent behind both photographs, and my argument as to why your comparison of both is not valid.

But killing an animal isn't a big deal to a butcher. A postman doesn't stand beside a door way taking a picture of him posting a letter with a smile on his face because it's not an event to him.

This woman is probably never going to get the opportunity to hunt and kill a giraffe again, it was a once in a lifetime event. We have people taking a photo of every meal they eat and posting it on facebook, then you give out that a person has taken a picture of a once in a lifetime event.

I never gave out about any of it.

The only point i have made is that i think Conor74's comparison ('but both are pictures of dead meat') is way too simplistic and not valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ma Deuce Browning FTW. :cool:

I never gave out about any of it.

The only point i have made is that i think Conor74's post and comparison is not valid.
    I think it is valid, we would just rather not admit that its essentially the same thing having the butcher we visit smiling with a plate of cow parts as a hunter smiling beside the just killed animal. Both are happy and proud with their achievements. Both are benefiting from the death of an animal.

Both are happy and proud with their achievements.

If I talk to a hunter about the photo of her and a dead giraffe, and a butcher about a photo of him and a plate of meat, and ask them to explain why they wanted that photo taken, what impression they wanted to viewer to get, and what achievement they wanted people to recognise, do you think I'd get very similar answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

The perception from her smile is that she took great enjoyment from the act of killing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Umaro wrote: »
    The perception from her smile is that she took great enjoyment from the act of killing.
    She's also clearly thinking about muffins. It's written all over her face.

Anyone else what to share some perceptions with the group?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

She's also clearly thinking about muffins. It's written all over her face.

Anyone else what to share some perceptions with the group?

muffins?? nonsense. she's a Dairy Queen girl

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How did wildlife ever survive before humans became moral guardians of the planet
    Like the Dodo, they went extinct.
    smash wrote: »
    Myxomatosis is pretty much a self regulation for the rabbit population.
    Self regulation? o.0

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

the_syco wrote: »
    Self regulation? o.0
    Myxomatosis was introduced to the Australian rabbit population by Bugs Bunny in 1938. He had originally intended to infect South America, but had taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque and ended up in Australia instead.

Advertisement