Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The victims of Ricky Gervais

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,176 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Lau2976 wrote: »
    This is disgusting. I agree wholeheartedly with Ricky Gervais. Parents who fail to teach their children compassion towards other living creatures have failed their children.

I hope that someday when she's old she reflects back on her life and experiences the disgust that I'm feeling for her right now. And her motto of "life's too short" is painfully ironic considering her "living life to the fullest" is taking life from other living creatures.

i presume you are a vegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

As I understand it, these reserves often need to sacrifice a certain number of animals to hunters, whose fees pay for the preservation of the rest of the animal population.

It sounds unfortunate to have to operate in that way, but I'm not sure that there are queues of donors who want to hand over cash to preserve all of them.

The first google search I did for 'elephant hunting licence Africa' brought up a price of 35,145 US dollars per person. I've no idea if that hunting operation operates the 'ethical hunting' policy above, but it gives an indication of the price.

Hunting for survival and hunting for sport is very different. From what I can tell this woman hints purely because she gets a thrill from it. IMO, that lacks compassion for other living creatures.

If she was killing those animals to survive it isn't a lack of compassion, it's necessity.

ignore most of what you quoted why dont you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Hunting for survival and hunting for sport is very different. From what I can tell this woman hints purely because she gets a thrill from it. IMO, that lacks compassion for other living creatures.

If she was killing those animals to survive it isn't a lack of compassion, it's necessity.
    Yes but, when it was hunting for survival it was bringing hundreds of species to the brink of extinction. Now when it's hunting for sport it's actually increasing populations. It's the better of two evils at worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Whether you buy your meat in the shops or go out and kill it yourself, the end result is that an animal is going to be killed.

As long as your eating the meat from the animal that you are hunting, they're on the same level when it comes to compassion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

While there is definitely an argument to be made for trophy hunting where it removes old or genetically unimportant animals from a population and helps finance the species conservation at the same time, with regards the woman Gervais referred to - she has pictures lying next to seemingly every kind of large mammal she can find, and has used a bow as well as a gun.

They weren't all done while contributing funds to conservation, and it seems unlikely they were all done in a way that minimised the suffering of the target animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭NotASheeple

Knex. wrote: »
    I think Gervais is great twat.

Fyp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I don't take great issue with hunting. It strikes me as ethically superior to farming animals for meat.

I find the pictures in bad taste but it's a double standard to be okay with slaughtering animals like pigs and cows but take issue with a giraffe being killed.

Ricky Gervais can be very funny but he is also a tool. I see he is going on a lot about animal welfare and intermittently describing himself as vegetarian, while generally not being vegetarian at all, and enthusing over cheese.

If he wants to champion the cause of animal welfare then he might try something positive, like becoming a genuine vegan or vegetarian, like doing some voluntary work to help the welfare of animals, like donating money etc to such causes etc. Instigating a hate campaign against someone accomplishes nothing at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

I find the wagon who killed the poor giraffe, to be only marginally more distasteful than the insufferable Gervais.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Whether you buy your meat in the shops or go out and kill it yourself, the end result is that an animal is going to be killed.

As long as your eating the meat from the animal that you are hunting, they're on the same level when it comes to compassion.

I agree to an extent but this woman wanted to eat these animals, while (not necessarily now but in the past) we had to eat cows to survive, because we have the climate for them.

Killing the animal out of need for meat is different then killing an animal because you want to taste them.

• Advertisement

ignore most of what you quoted why dont you.

I presumed your post was informing me that I had neglected to mention Africans who killed these animals out if necessity and not greed, I countered that killing out if necessity, as is the case with those, is different then killing for fun, as she did, and therefore neither are relatable and they are different moral questions. They set up reserves out of need, do again a different moral question to what this woman is doing.

Compassion doesn't outweigh need but it should outweigh want.

Because if I am all my opinions are invalid because I'm a crazy hippy vegan?

And if I'm not I'm a hypocrite?

I
    Ricky Gervais can be very funny but he is also a tool. I see he is going on a lot about animal welfare and intermittently describing himself as vegetarian, while generally not being vegetarian at all, and enthusing over cheese.

He says he is nearly a vegetarian, except he eats chicken and any meat at all that doesn't look like an animal. So he's a vegetarian apart from the chicken, sausages, burger patties and so on. I'm not sure if that's part of a routine because it sounds so moronic...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Why does this argument always raise it's head? You don't have to be a Vegan to object to Wildlife being killed for money.

Discodog wrote: »
    Why does this argument always raise it's head? You don't have to be a Vegan to object to Wildlife being killed for money.

No, but enjoying the results of cattle being killed for money and objecting to giraffes being killed for money where that is legal and regulated...it's a bit like dancing on the head of a pin.

I get the sport v food argument, but think the killing farm animals for money v killing wildlife for money is less distinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

The laughable thing is some call themselves sportspeople. I say arm the animals and let's make it a fair fight.

Or maybe just some hand to claw/paw/hoof combat. I'd like to see the fúcktard take down a giraffe with her bare hands.

Because if I am all my opinions are invalid because I'm a crazy hippy vegan?

And if I'm not I'm a hypocrite?

well if you talk about compassion for animals then yes. Do you eat eggs? You know that battery hens live a live with much more cruelty than any of the animals this lady has hunted. So if you criticise this lady on the ground of cruelty then yes you would be a hypocrite. How could you not be?

But if you are a vegan then fair play you're being consistent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I assume this hunting of African animals in happening in the USA. The companies providing this service to hunters are called outfitters.
    http://www.huntingoutfitters.com/
    This is not hunting. It is killing African animals in enclosures with high powered weapons.

I worked in Africa for two years in the 1970s and visited game parks about a dozen times. Hunting was not legal in game parks, but hunting was legal outside the parks if you had a licence to kill that animal. It is a rich person's hobby, costing ten of thousands of dollars a trip.
    I went on walking safaris with a camera, walking up to ten miles in a morning. I met hunters who were driven around the fringes of the game park with a guide. Why they wanted to be brought in front of animals so they could shoot the stationary animals remains a mystery to me.

diomed wrote: »
    I assume this hunting of African animals in happening in the USA. The companies providing this service to hunters are called outfitters.
    This is not hunting. It is killing African animals in enclosures with high powered weapons.

I worked in Africa for two years in the 1970s and visited game parks about a dozen times. Hunting was not legal in game parks, but hunting was legal outside the parks if you had a licence to kill that animal. It is a rich person's hobby, costing ten of thousands of dollars a trip.
    I went on walking safaris with a camera, walking up to ten miles in a morning. I met hunters who were driven around the fringes of the game park with a guide. Why they wanted to be brought in front of animals so they could shoot the stationary animals remains a mystery to me.

The giraffe at least was killed in africa http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/570630/Giraffe-hunter-Rebecca-Francis-sent-death-threats-Ricky-Gervais-tweets-DEFENDS-act

Can't see giraffe on their list of prey. The African game link is empty.

Can see turkey and "varmint" though. Not sure either would thrill the woman in the OP.

• Advertisement

I had a look at that site. It doesnt offer any game hunts. It is just a set of links to actual hunting guides. Most of which are for pretty standard game animals. None of the exotics like african game actually have any entries. No mention of the staked hunts you describe either. can you link to where it mentions staked hunts for african game that take place in the US?

well if you talk about compassion for animals then yes. Do you eat eggs? You know that battery hens live a live with much more cruelty than any of the animals this lady has hunted. So if you criticise this lady on the ground of cruelty then yes you would be a hypocrite. How could you not be?

But if you are a vegan then fair play you're being consistent

I don't think being not vegan means you can't find this appalling though. She hunts for the thrill. That's different then hunting for food, or eating the meat that comes from that. Personally I am vegan and I find any hunting wrong, but I think it's wrong to say that participating in the digestion of rotting flesh and being the person who caused that rotting flesh isn't slightly different.

I don't think being not vegan means you can't find this appalling though. She hunts for the thrill. That's different then hunting for food, or eating the meat that comes from that. Personally I am vegan and I find any hunting wrong, but I think it's wrong to say that participating in the digestion of rotting flesh and being the person who caused that rotting flesh isn't slightly different.

well first off it makes absolutely no difference to the animals why they are killed. they tend not to care about those details. And the animals were eaten. So yes, it is hypocritical

Can't see giraffe on their list of prey. The African game link is empty.
    Can see turkey and "varmint" though. Not sure either would thrill the woman in the OP.
    I didn't bother to check through that site.
    Perhaps this one will do "777 Ranch, he has made it his goal to bring a bit of Africa to Texas"
    http://777ranch.com/

Available
    Addax Antelope, Alpine Ibex, American Bison, Aoudad Sheep, Arabian Oryx, Armenian Mouflon, Axis, Barasingha, Blackbuck, Blesbok, Bongo, Cape Buffalo, Catalina Goat, Common Lechwe, Corsican Sheep, Dama Gazelle, Dybowski Sika, Eland, Eld's Deer, Elk, Fallow Deer, Four-Horn Sheep, Gernsbok, Grant's, Hawaiian Black, Himalayan Tahr, Hog Deer, Hybrid Ibex, Impala, Iranian Red Sheep, Kudu, Markhor, Mouflon Sheep, Muntjac Deer, Nile Lechwe, Nilgai, Nubian Ibex, Nyala, Pere David's Deer, Pygmy Goal, Red Stag, Roan, Rusa, Sable, Scimitar Horned, Sika Deer, Sitatunga, Springbok, Texas Dall Sheep, Thomson Gazelle, Urial Sheep, Water Buck, Water Buffalo, Whitetail, Wildebeest, Yak, Zebra

The owner probably saved my life when I was charged by an elephant in Africa. He was a game park guide then.

Perhaps this one will do "777 Ranch, he has made it his goal to bring a bit of Africa to Texas"

Available
    Addax Antelope, Alpine Ibex, American Bison, Aoudad Sheep, Arabian Oryx, Armenian Mouflon, Axis, Barasingha, Blackbuck, Blesbok, Bongo, Cape Buffalo, Catalina Goat, Common Lechwe, Corsican Sheep, Dama Gazelle, Dybowski Sika, Eland, Eld's Deer, Elk, Fallow Deer, Four-Horn Sheep, Gernsbok, Grant's, Hawaiian Black, Himalayan Tahr, Hog Deer, Hybrid Ibex, Impala, Iranian Red Sheep, Kudu, Markhor, Mouflon Sheep, Muntjac Deer, Nile Lechwe, Nilgai, Nubian Ibex, Nyala, Pere David's Deer, Pygmy Goal, Red Stag, Roan, Rusa, Sable, Scimitar Horned, Sika Deer, Sitatunga, Springbok, Texas Dall Sheep, Thomson Gazelle, Urial Sheep, Water Buck, Water Buffalo, Whitetail, Wildebeest, Yak, Zebra

The owner probably saved my life when I was charged by an elephant in Africa. He was a game park guide then.

It's much the same as the other one.

Still no giraffe. Or any of the "Big 5" either.

Available

why post a link that you havent read and that doesnt back up your point? Bizarre.

anyway
    Our ranch is the world leader in exotic breeding programs, with the goal of being a self-sustaining ranch

A staked hunt sounds a bit pathetic but if its only animals they have bred themselves then no problem.

well first off it makes absolutely no difference to the animals why they are killed. they tend not to care about those details. And the animals were eaten. So yes, it is hypocritical

Yeah your right it doesn't matter to them so how about as a whole we do something radical and not kill other living creatures! That isn't going to happen any time soon but stopping hunting for fun is one step closer.

You honestly think that killing an animal to survive and killing it to put in a mantle are the same thing?

It's much the same as the other one.
    Still no giraffe. Or any of the "Big 5" either.
    I don't follow your reasoning. Is it alright to shoot defenseless animals in an enclosed area and claim it is a cull? Perhaps a focus on one species (giraffe) or a claim that the big five are not present in the outfitters enclosures makes it alright. If it was cheap to have lions, elephants, rhinoceros then they would have them available for shooting. The fact that they do not have the big five available in the USA for shooting is not something to the credit of the outfitters. They just can't acquire them.

This is a business where hunters pay big money to shoot animals. It is not a hunt as they do not pursue the animal, they are in an area where the animals they are hunting are not free to move away, probably do not have cover (trees, grass, undergrowth), nor are there other animals in the enclosed area that might be a danger to the hunters, the predators that in the wild would hunt these animals.

It is target practice with animals.

I don't follow your reasoning. Is it alright to shoot defenseless animals in an enclosed area and claim it is a cull? Perhaps a focus on one species (giraffe) or a claim that the big five are not present in the outfitters enclosures makes it alright. If it was cheap to have lions, elephants, rhinoceros then they would have them available for shooting. The fact that they do not have the big five available in the USA for shooting is not something to the credit of the outfitters. They just can't acquire them.

This is a business where hunters pay big money to shoot animals. It is not a hunt as they do not pursue the animal, they are in an area where the animals they are hunting are not free to move away, probably do not have cover (trees, grass, undergrowth), nor are there other animals in the enclosed area that might be a danger to the hunters, the predators that in the wild would hunt these animals.

It is target practice with animals.

I've already said that shooting a staked animal is pathetic.
    this thread is about a lady who hunted animals in africa.

• Advertisement

Yeah your right it doesn't matter to them so how about as a whole we do something radical and not kill other living creatures! That isn't going to happen any time soon but stopping hunting for fun is one step closer.

You honestly think that killing an animal to survive and killing it to put in a mantle are the same thing?

well if we ignore the whole killing animals is bad full stop and lets all become vegans bit then why does why the animal is killed matter if the meat is eaten?

Advertisement