Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The victims of Ricky Gervais

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

According to her she was asked to do it.
    She said that the Giraffe was close to death, she originally planned not to kill and Giraffes while in Africa.
    The meat was eaten by the locals.

So it looks like she wasn't doing it just for the craic.

She wasn't asked to proudly pose with the kill for multiple photos and smile for the camera though.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,312 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

smash wrote: »
    She wasn't asked to proudly pose with the kill for multiple photos and smile for the camera though.

should she have done a sad face instead? would that have been ok? :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I'm not outraged at her hunting animals in Africa - people do that here, too, after all.
    And it's good to know that the populations in the reserves are managed, that this raised money for further conservation efforts, that the meat was consumed by locals. All of these facts are definitely good to know.

What I find personally disturbing though is this notion that she enjoys killing so much, she'll pose with the body (corpse? What's the correct English term?) afterwards, with a big smile on her face.
    THAT is something I can't get my head around, try as I might.
    I know it used to be done everywhere, I'm aware of all those old black-and-white pictures of a handful of people posing in front of mountains of dead animals they've just killed. I just had kind of assumed that most civilised humans had gotten past the point where inflicting pain and killing is regarded not only as a thrill, but as something to brag about.

Guess I was wrong again.
    This doesn't make me angry, it just makes me incredibly sad. And rather worried.

should she have done a sad face instead? would that have been ok? :(
    Should she not have gloated about it in the first place?

I'd say no, she shouldn't have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dog of Tears

They seem to be the kind of animal that's quite content to leave people alone if they're left alone in return.

You wouldn't survive 10 minutes in the giraffe enclosure in Dublin zoo before you'd be torn to shreds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

It's not every day you read a thread full of clueless opinions on animal behaviour or conservation, and apply their middle-class, suburbanite, Western morality to places that they probably couldn't even point to on a map. All in the pursuit of 'saving' animals, while tucking into factory farmed produce that would make hunting look humane in comparison.

Giraffes aren't the ones in need of a cull, TBH.

And yet the 'hunters' in question are products of that same society that you decry here.
    It's not local hunter gatherers that are at work here. It's mostly rich fat western f*ckers and their molls with enough money to play out their fantasies with guns.

It's not every day you read a thread full of clueless opinions on animal behaviour or conservation, and apply their middle-class, suburbanite, Western morality to places that they probably couldn't even point to on a map. All in the pursuit of 'saving' animals, while tucking into factory farmed produce that would make hunting look humane in comparison.

Your condescending, obnoxious attitude never ceases to amaze me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Would hunt poachers/10

he isnt wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Panrich wrote: »
    And yet the 'hunters' in question are products of that same society that you decry here.
    So what? I wasn't defending her or expressing my respect for her. I was expressing my contempt for those here.
    It's mostly rich fat western f*ckers and their molls with enough money to play out their fantasies with guns.
    As opposed to poor fat western f*ckers, who care?
    Alas, you don't surprise me at all.

• Advertisement

he isnt wrong though
    You're right. Nobody should have an opinion unless they manage and live on a big game reserve in Africa. The rest of us "middle-class, suburbanite, Westerners" who he clearly thinks are uneducated should just be killed off. :rolleyes:

You're right. Nobody should have an opinion unless they manage and live on a big game reserve in Africa. The rest of us "middle-class, suburbanite, Westerners" who he clearly thinks are uneducated should just be killed off. :rolleyes:

well you've shown yourself to be pretty uneducated on this topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

The rest of us "middle-class, suburbanite, Westerners" who he clearly thinks are uneducated should just be killed off. :rolleyes:
    Or hunted by middle-class, suburbanite Westerners for sport :eek: :D :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

You're right. Nobody should have an opinion unless they manage and live on a big game reserve in Africa.
    Reductio ad absurdum.

well you've shown yourself to be pretty uneducated on this topic.
    How so. Everything you've picked me up on, I've clarified what I meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

But let me explain what I mean... it's not an animal that will charge to kill and eat you when it sees you.
    What makes you think that? It's a massive animal that can stand up to most things bar a pride of lions or a pack of hyenas. I think it would be more inclined to charge given that it could do that in 99% of instances, even against a single lion and drive whatever it was running at away. But I'm guessing neither of us have any experience with giraffes in the wild so we can only speculate.

Conservation requires culls. There are still wild animals in Africa but they are at the mercy of poachers. These reserves are the the only chance many species have of surviving. To not realise that is the reserve of middle class westerners that got their view of the animal kingdom from disney movies.
    Shenshen wrote: »
    What I find personally disturbing though is this notion that she enjoys killing so much, she'll pose with the body (corpse? What's the correct English term?) afterwards, with a big smile on her face.
    I'm sure if any of us spent the day hunting one of the worlds top predators we'd be pretty proud of ourselves when we achieved our goal, it would be exciting and press all of our animalistic buttons.. I wouldn't hold it against her for being proud of what she accomplished. I just wouldn't go putting it under the noses of animal lovers and expect anything other than horror.

How so. Everything you've picked me up on, I've clarified what I meant.

everything you have said sounds like it was based on a school trip to fota wildlife park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Bambi wrote: »
    Forgive me if I don't shed a tear for her

I know they got your ma but get over it.

Mod

Please remember to attack the post and not the poster.

Try and post without winding other posters up.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

Animal culls should be carried out by professionals who are trained and licenced, not by a bunch of amateurs whose motivation seems to be the thrill of the hunt rather than the welfare of the animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭mark_jmc

bjork wrote: »
    Is she a "Victim" > She styles herself as "Extreme huntress">Did it only occur to her now she might face criticism?

mmmmm......sexy word

Panrich wrote: »
    Animal culls should be carried out by professionals who are trained and licenced, not by a bunch of amateurs whose motivation seems to be the thrill of the hunt rather than the welfare of the animals.

they are trained and licenced. not many amateurs hunting with .476 wetherby or a bow. and there is always a second gun on hand in case the first shot isnt a clean kill. a lot less suffering than being killed by a pack of lions thats for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

About a year or 18 months ago someone from the Ag Dept came down to cull the badgers.

I didn't realise I was supposed to get the speedos out and pose with them after they'd been despatched.

ScumLord wrote: »
    What makes you think that? It's a massive animal that can stand up to most things bar a pride of lions or a pack of hyenas. I think it would be more inclined to charge given that it could do that in 99% of instances, even against a single lion and drive whatever it was running at away. But I'm guessing neither of us have any experience with giraffes in the wild so we can only speculate.

I guess what makes me think it, is just speculation as you say. It's not a predator and it's not an animal you hear of being aggressive when unprovoked. Obviously if it has young, it will be protective like all animals. But as it's not a predator, it's not going to just attack a person. I suppose any footage I've seen from documentaries etc has presented giraffes as being quite a tame creature compared to the animals it Cohabitates with in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What a c*nt. She deserves everything she gets.

I guess what makes me think it, is just speculation as you say. It's not a predator and it's not an animal you hear of being aggressive when unprovoked. Obviously if it has young, it will be protective like all animals. But as it's not a predator, it's not going to just attack a person. I suppose any footage I've seen from documentaries etc has presented giraffes as being quite a tame creature compared to the animals it Cohabitates with in the wild.

when you only have one predator its quite easy to appear nonchalant when they arent around

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I understand and appreciate the concept of culling. Now, when can we start culling humans. We're just animals ourselves...

Liamario wrote: »
    I understand and appreciate the concept of culling. Now, when can we start culling humans. We're just animals ourselves...

vicious, nasty animals for the most part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ScumLord wrote: »
    The thing is though these are managed parks, if you let the giraffes breed uncontrolled by a predator, they start to hurt the ecosystem around them, which will lead onto further problems around the area.

When they reintroduced wolves to yellowstone park in the US, it fixed eroding river banks. That's the kind of effect one animal can have on an ecosystem.

Hunting them with a big stick is only going to make the animal suffer. Have you ever seen an elephant killed with spears? It takes a long time.

Those safari parks are nothing to do with conservation, it's all about giving rich people the chance to shoot animals.

The animal has no chance to escape as the area is fenced in.

• Advertisement

when you only have one predator its quite easy to appear nonchalant when they arent around

We're not talking about their behaviour around their natural predator, we're talking about their behaviour around humans. An elephant in comparison will be a lot more likely to charge at a human. Maybe giraffes just don't see us as a threat like an elephant would. I don't know, but like I said they've always been presented to be more docile than the animals they cohabitate with.

Advertisement