Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes workers to strike

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bettyl

Wont let me post URL but its a public page called 'decency for dunnes stores staff'

There was another one set up by the staff in Swords who wanted nothing to do with union but was taken down. Heard the admins just couldn't take the abuse and bullying directed at them for daring to go against the union. (to be fair dont know 100% but just what I heard)

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

anyone using a dunnes (or any other non managerial retail) wage to pay a mortgage needs their head examined.

What's called a full time job should at least provide for the basics of living. Not talking about luxuries or holidays. And they don't tell you at induction stage that as your pay per hour increases your rostered hours decreases, thereby cancelling out the pay rises that some keep pointing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

bettyl wrote: »
    This was put on a Facebook site set up by staff against strike:

Mandates way of gaining revenue action plan

1. dream up a campaign with a catchy slogan. key objective is to get public sympathy. don't worry if your 'facts' aren't true.
    2. get your hard core members to buy into the campaign by promising the earth. it doesn't matter if you know you can't deliver.
    3. make the campaign public and ensure that you make out the employer to be nasty, uncaring and selfish and only interested in making money ( okay that's what businesses do but lets not get bogged down in the details)
    4. organise meetings all over the country to start getting the subscriptions rolling in. tell the crowds that turn up that all they have to do is follow your instructions and their lives will be transformed ( in the absence of crowds, tell the handful that turn up that their job is to do your job. recruit people from their stores by telling them the same lies you have told and not to listen to any facts. they just get in the way.
    5. organise a ballot for strike action. this is the easy bit as we know we have enough in the hardcore to get our majority. most will not bother voting as they will not believe that people will follow us to the cliff. we will use their complacency against them.
    6. announce the result to widespread acclaim. headline " two thirds of dunnes staff vote for strike action " yes we know that only 2000 people have voted yes which is only 40 % of mandate members and on conservative estimates 20 % of the workforce but do not worry, we know our friends in the press never let the facts get in the way of a good story. now we up the recruitment drive with the knowledge that we have a mandate from our people.
    6. if your loyal disciples manage to convince enough people in their stores to join the crusade it is then all their jobs to do whatever it takes to put pressure on everyone else to join up. let them know that their failure to join up will not be appreciated and that it is unacceptable not to follow the herd even if it is heading for the edge of a cliff. do not be put off by silly concerns from some about the damage to the business and their incomes. this will all fade away when mandate gets in the drivers seat. and some of your less intelligent colleagues will even spout rubbish about being happy in their jobs. do not listen to them. for they know not what they do.
    7. if you fail to get any of your colleagues to buy into mandates 'vision' due to them having a mind of their own do not worry. we will launch a campaign of online abuse calling them names and attempt to shame them into following us to the cliff. we have other tactics but they will be revealed later.
    8. get some willing volunteers to speak to the press about the horrible conditions they have to work under. make sure they emphasise how horrible their managers are and that they are specially trained in the dark arts of nastiness, sneakiness and having no decency whatsoever. your volunteers may add for sensationalism that they believe this training is carried out by the kgb. it does not matter that most of them are just ordinary people who were once staff themselves and are just trying to better themselves by moving up the ladder. remember facts are the enemy of our movement.
    9. organise some pre strike events giving out some free pens and shopping bags to show how generous we are. we give you free what dunnes stores charges you for. we are so nice. these shopping bags will come in handy when you will all shop in aldi and lidl in the future when all other retailers are wiped out. the pens will come in handy for signing on. don't publicise that bit.
    10. the day of the strike arrives and unbelievably many non believers have decided to go to work. the cheek. how dare they defy us. some whole stores defy us. do not worry believers, we will teach them. we will send professional protesters en masse to show them that they will not defy us. do they think this is a democracy or something. willing politicians will queue up to have their photos taken in the pursuit of popularity with the masses. they will not ask any awkward questions about facts, they seek only votes. our friends in the press will support us not bothered by the fact that, with a few exceptions , large numbers of the picketers are not dunnes staff. in some stores all the staff are at work but we send our nastiest people to them to intimidate their loyal customers from shopping with them.
    11. we are then met with widespread acclaim for our wonderful strike. no one questions us. we are all powerful. no one will know that behind the scenes we have an ever growing pile of resignation letters to get through. well they will wait and while they wait we will continue to take their money. we will also send them threatening letters to try to intimidate them to remain on course with us as we head for the cliff. do not worry at this stage that sales may fall in your stores and your hours may be cut. it is a small price to pay for the glorious future ahead when dunnes stores is nationalised by people before profit. then we wil enter a great age where hard work is no longer rewarded and our country will collapse into a spiral of decline. but don't worry you will be armed with your free pens and shopping bags for your weekly trips to the dole office and aldi and lidl. what a bright future we will have.
    12. unfortunately this is where all union led operations take a turn for the worst. having reached our peak we now know that large numbers of dunnes stores staff have seen through our recruitment drive. we are buried under a pile of resignations and need temporary storage facilities as our offices are overflowing. so instead of announcing a sequel to the most successful strike in history, we put out soundbites about escalating our action. we talk about about public events and marches ( cliff top marches would be best) . the truth is we need to string this out as long as we can to keep the money rolling in while not doing anything at all. we will make empty threats and speak of legal action and government legislation. yes the government, the same government we are fighting with over water charges. they will save us.
    13. so keep the faith, we have gathered many members, if only for a few weeks, but hey its better than nothing. unfortunately we cannot currently pay you your strike pay because we gave away all our pens and therefore cannot write the cheques. sorry about that. now who do we target next on our recruitment drive. and do not worry faithful followers, some will say we made a mess of this but its what we do. and let nobody say we are not damn good at it.
    a load of old tripe written by someone with an anti-strike anti-union aganda. nothing to worry about or take seriously

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

a load of old tripe written by someone with an anti-strike anti-union aganda. nothing to worry about or take seriously

Ah, but many a true word spoken in jest! There are 2 sides to every story. Did you know that when you employ someone, you "Use" them. Just like Dunnes, Tesco, Centra, Lidl, Aldi etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Dunnes Staff sign minimum 15 hour contract and then start complaining when they are given a 15 hour week. :rolleyes:

Irish Independent rich list put Dunnes Stores 2owners combined wealth put at €758,000,000 or to put it another way over ¾ of a billion euro while they exploit workers. With profits of €350,000,000 last year they are hardly on their uppers and can't plead poverty. It's worker exploitation pure and simple. They know that people are desperate for work, any work at all.

Celtic tiger years gone now so many chasing every single job, it's an employers market and boy don't they know it. They are putting squeeze on workers who have to take it or leave.

• Advertisement

A point that was made to me. Dunnes have been running voucher offers since last year. These vouchers are bringing people into the store to shop (me for example, i'm usually a wherever is handy person). More people in the doors means more business, means more hours. If you think about it this probably costs millions per week. This will also have a knock on effect for suppliers. They are in some ways buying business to protect sales and therefore hours and jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

A point that was made to me. Dunnes have been running voucher offers since last year. These vouchers are bringing people into the store to shop (me for example, i'm usually a wherever is handy person). More people in the doors means more business, means more hours. If you think about it this probably costs millions per week. This will also have a knock on effect for suppliers. They are in some ways buying business to protect sales and therefore hours and jobs.

The wife told me that Tesco takes those vouchers also.

Uncle Ben wrote: »
    The wife told me that Tesco takes those vouchers also.

I know but you don't get a shiny new voucher for again when you spend your €50.

Plates wrote: »
    In other words you have nothing to support your opinions against the facts of others.

The facts of others that you mention are from surveys and we all know figures can be presented to show whatever result the surveyers wish. My "opinions" are from what the staff are actually saying, from the horse's mouth. Isn't that the best source? Aren't these the very people we're discussing?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

razzler wrote: »
    The facts of others that you mention are from surveys and we all know figures can be presented to show whatever result the surveyers wish. My "opinions" are from what the staff are actually saying, from the horse's mouth. Isn't that the best source? Aren't these the very people we're discussing?

Ok then. Let's stick with your method. Lots of staff are also saying they're happy with their conditions.

• Advertisement

Yes, more business means more hours but these extra hours are given to new staff. Existing staff often find that the busier the store is, the less hours they are rostered. For example, for the last few years, the busiest retail week of the year, Christmas week, saw many of the staff who are there for years being rostered only the 15 hours. New staff had full hours. Cheaper. Wage budget is just another expense they want to keep as low as possible.Real people with lives to live are just figures on a balance sheet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

That was years ago when 15 hours might have been ok (Dunnes at the time wanted zero hours but union fought it) but it's not adequate now.

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I got my info from actually hearing what staff had to say.

So its anecdotal then. i.e. not worth anything.

You do know that the average cost of living over the past 8 years has gone down, not up? Look up the CSO stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭Paulzx

anyone using a dunnes (or any other non managerial retail) wage to pay a mortgage needs their head examined.

No one should be getting a mortgage on this type of employment.

However, I'm sure there are plenty of Dunnes staff struggling to pay mortgages that were obtained whilst in better jobs before they lost them. They're simply doing their best in a deflated jobs market.

Should they have their heads examined?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What's called a full time job should at least provide for the basics of living. Not talking about luxuries or holidays. And they don't tell you at induction stage that as your pay per hour increases your rostered hours decreases, thereby cancelling out the pay rises that some keep pointing out.
    These types of contracts are vital in the service/retail industry. You continue to refer to mortgages, so clearly you believe that to be one - it isn't. I fail entirely to see your rationale as to why a commercial entity should lose money to overpay staff.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that less than 20% of Dunnes workers voted for this action.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Let's not lose sight of the fact that less than 20% of Dunnes workers voted for this action.

And Mr Receipts staff reviews represent about 1%:o

Tugboats wrote: »
    And Mr Receipts staff reviews represent about 1%:o

I'm happy to accept that neither are representative or relevant.

This is about visibility for Mandate and nothing more. Just like their leading of the Right2Water campaign. Mandate are a business and they're trying to increase their revenue.

I'm happy to accept that neither are representative or relevant..

Why did you thank Mr Receipts post that linked the staff "reviews":confused:

Why did you thank Mr Receipts post that linked the staff "reviews":confused:

Have you asked him?

My point still stands. Mandate cares less about the Dunnes Stores workers than Dunnes Stores do. All they are to Mandate is a weekly subscription.

• Advertisement

Have you asked him?

My point still stands. Mandate cares less about the Dunnes Stores workers than Dunnes Stores do. All they are to Mandate is a weekly subscription.

I'm asking you because you thanked a post which you claim is irrelevant and not representative :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Originally Posted by

I'm asking you because you thanked a post which you claim is irrelevant and not representative :confused:

Oh Lord - really?

I made that claim so that we could take that relevance of that data and the less than 20% who voted for the action off the table. I still think it's a good indicator - no more or less than the "I heard from my mate in Dunnes" anecdotes.

I'm still waiting for someone to share their insights on a solution that wouldn't result in pay cuts or redundancies across the board.

Oh Lord - really?

I made that claim so that we could take that relevance of that data and the less than 20% who voted for the action off the table. I still think it's a good indicator - no more or less than the "I heard from my mate in Dunnes" anecdotes.

I'm still waiting for someone to share their insights on a solution that wouldn't result in pay cuts or redundancies across the board.

You didnt make the claim im talking about poster Mr Receipt or do you have two usernames:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Starshadow

A retail floorstaff job is not here to service a mortgage, it was that kind of thinking that caused the bubble.

Thats something we're going to have to learn in this country,

People in this thread are talking about a mortgage as if its a human right that everyone be able to own a home of their own (As if you actually own it while borrowing hundreds of thousands of euros).

But then to try and finance it with an unstable profession? The same type of role a student might want? Thats just madness, and it should not be a point to argue with in this discussion.
    mhaise wrote: »
    Irish Independent rich list put Dunnes Stores 2owners combined wealth put at €758,000,000 or to put it another way over ¾ of a billion euro while they exploit workers. With profits of €350,000,000 last year they are hardly on their uppers and can't plead poverty. It's worker exploitation pure and simple. They know that people are desperate for work, any work at all.

Im sorry but what kind of logic is that? Just because the company is successful they should pay people a lot more than the standard which skills, experience and education estimate for a person?

I used to do a lot of work, I mean 60+ hours a week working on projects for a company that shall not be named which made 40 billion dollars in profit last year. For the amount of time i worked and effort I put into it, I was a paid a pittance in relation to the profit. But thats not how things work, you don't get a percentage, unless your a shareholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Starshadow wrote: »
    Thats something we're going to have to learn in this country,

People in this thread are talking about a mortgage as if its a human right that everyone be able to own a home of their own (As if you actually own it while borrowing hundreds of thousands of euros).

But then to try and finance it with an unstable profession? The same type of role a student might want? Thats just madness, and it should not be a point to argue with in this discussion.

Im sorry but what kind of logic is that? Just because the company is successful they should pay people a lot more than the standard which skills, experience and education estimate for a person?

I used to do a lot of work, I mean 60+ hours a week working on projects for a company that shall not be named which made 40 billion dollars in profit last year. For the amount of time i worked and effort I put into it, I was a paid a pittance in relation to the profit. But thats not how things work, you don't get a percentage, unless your a shareholder.

Excellent post.

What people don't seem to realise is that for a company to pay you €10. 00 ph you need to be worth €10.00+ for the company.
    Now that's not a definitive summation, but generally it works out.
    Some punters seem to be under the impression that just turning up is good,just be there,and all is ok
    Nah,that's not the way it works, lot of people need to realise this.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Greyian

What people don't seem to realise is that for a company to pay you €10. 00 ph you need to be worth €10.00+ for the company.

And that doesn't even factor in the PRSI etc they pay on top of your wage.

Over the next decade or so, I'd expect to see fewer people employed in places like Dunnes, Tesco etc, as many of the jobs can be done cheaper (and better in many cases) by technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

mhaise wrote: »

Celtic tiger years gone now so many chasing every single job, it's an employers market and boy don't they know it. They are putting squeeze on workers who have to take it or leave.

So what? The wage for a job is not directly proportionate to the net worth or value of the employer. A role is paid what the market dictates. If Dunnes were not able to get staff for what they are offering in terms of wages and benefits, then they would have to improve them because staff would move to similar positions in Aldi, Tesco, etc, etc and Dunnes would not be able to attract staff.

I got my info from actually hearing what staff had to say.
    jank wrote: »
    So its anecdotal then. i.e. not worth anything.QUOTE]

How on earth do you reckon it's not worth anything? The bulk of this discussion is about the reasons why the workers went on strike. To dismiss what they have to say in favour of surveys is bringing the discussion away from reality. Your way of thinking is 'Let's not ask them what they think, a survey will tell us that'

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

jank wrote: »
    So its anecdotal then. i.e. not worth anything.

How on earth do you reckon it's not worth anything? The bulk of this discussion is about the reasons why the workers went on strike. To dismiss what they have to say in favour of surveys is bringing the discussion away from reality. Your way of thinking is 'Let's not ask them what they think, a survey will tell us that'

no, you have anecdotal evidence from a few staff that have issues and have based your opinion of everyones treatment in dunnes on those few. We have 226 independent reviews written down , not word of mouth giving an 80% satisfaction rating for dunnes employees, and the inarguable fact that only 19% of the staff voted for strike action .

• Advertisement

These types of contracts are vital in the service/retail industry. You continue to refer to mortgages, so clearly you believe that to be one - it isn't. I fail entirely to see your rationale as to why a commercial entity should lose money to overpay staff.

Other retailers e.g Tesco, Supervalue and Marks and Spencers do very well while giving their staff better contracts. And guaranteeing more hours does not mean a company will "lose" money, it will just mean that profits will be a teensey weensey bit smaller, practicably negligible in the grand scheme of things. And it's not overpaying staff, it's simply giving the hours to staff already there instead of hiring new staff.
    And 25% voted for the strike (of those who had a vote), not 20%.

Advertisement