Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunnes workers to strike

Options

Comments

how do you know the majority are happy with their jobs? maybe they were afraid to vote yes to a strike, a fear which seems to have been justified considering the eledged round about firing of staff who dared to strike

If they are so unhappy in their jobs and so afraid to vote for a strike, then WTF are they still doing working there????
    I worked for Dunnes back in the 90's. The hours didn't suit me, so I left and got a more suitable job. I'm still friendly with a number of girls I worked with. I asked them their feelings on the strike and their reply was "Why are they messing with things? Leave well enough alone"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Hold your horses BoJack, the only direct quote from her in that article mentions strengthening trade unions and the right to be in a trade union, although the article said the AAA would "consider" nationalisation.

If you 'consider' the forced appropriation of all businesses, its reasonable to ask the motivations for same.

I looks at coppinger & all I can see are hammers & sickles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hold your horses BoJack, the only direct quote from her in that article mentions strengthening trade unions and the right to be in a trade union, although the article said the AAA would "consider" nationalisation.

You do know what AAA would consider and support is against the constitution of Ireland?

Ruth has form in this already as she stated that she would have nationalised a multinational company. Now how the hell can one nationalise such a company like Dell is anyones guess but lets just say that the comparison of AAA and their like to the whacky creationists in they U.S is very apt. Such divine devotion to their whacky and lunatic beliefs is very much religious in inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,853 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Look, I would never vote for the likes of Coppinger in a million years. Even if she was pitted against a fascist, a fanatical "objectivist", David Quinn and Kim Jong-un, I'd spoil my ballot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Look, I would never vote for the likes of Coppinger in a million years. Even if she was pitted against a fascist, a fanatical "objectivist", David Quinn and Kim Jong-un, I'd spoil my ballot.

Yet the scary thing is that she is an elected representative and the others would never ever see the light of day of the Dail chamber.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,160 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

If you 'consider' the forced appropriation of all businesses, its reasonable to ask the motivations for same.

I looks at coppinger & all I can see are hammers & sickles.

Incorrect Bo, what you see is someone with a State job to go back to when Middle Ireland sees off this stupidity, not elected, pop back to the teaching job pId for by the State she is trying to wreck.

The hammer and sickle lads were way above that kind of hypocracy,way above.

I could have a bit of respect for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Incorrect Bo, what you see is someone with a State job to go back to when Middle Ireland sees off this stupidity, not elected, pop back to the teaching job pId for by the State she is trying to wreck.

The hammer and sickle lads were way above that kind of hypocracy,way above.

I could have a bit of respect for them.

i can just see her as a teacher, "well done in the class test everyone, you all did really well, except billy , who got 0 , so he's off to the gulags and in the spirit of collectivism you all failed, "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/..._Stores/Salary

http://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Dunnes-Stores/reviews

two independent employee satisfaction ratings of over 80% aswell as the fact that only 19% voted for strike action show an 80%+ job satisfaction rating among dunnes staff.
    they don't show anything. its safe to say while some might be happy, others could be afraid to either vote yes to strike or say anything bad about their employer

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

they don't show anything. its safe to say while some might be happy, others could be afraid to either vote yes to strike or say anything bad about their employer

You must have not put on your glasses

http://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Dunnes-Stores/reviews this one shows 216 independent reviews from different people ranking their experiences of working in dunnes stores out of 5, with descriptions below and it broken down into multiple categories.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Employer=Dunnes_Stores/Salary this one shows average salaries , and if you scroll down enough you get to where it rates 4 out of 5 stars based on 10 reviews.

Now just incase there is something wrong with your computer , I have also embedded screengrabs of these below :

345271.jpg

345272.jpg

This should clarify it, any further denial is just ignoring facts.

I think its safe to say, 19% of staff have some sort of grievance but overall, over 80% of staff are happy and dont need a union doing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

You must have not put on your glasses

http://ie.indeed.com/cmp/Dunnes-Stores/reviews this one shows 216 independent reviews from different people ranking their experiences of working in dunnes stores out of 5, with descriptions below and it broken down into multiple categories.

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Employer=Dunnes_Stores/Salary this one shows average salaries , and if you scroll down enough you get to where it rates 4 out of 5 stars based on 10 reviews.

Now just incase there is something wrong with your computer , I have also embedded screengrabs of these below :

345271.jpg

345272.jpg

This should clarify it, any further denial is just ignoring facts.

I think its safe to say, 19% of staff have some sort of grievance but overall, over 80% of staff are happy and dont need a union doing anything
    10 reviews? yeah, safe to say my point still stands

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

10 reviews? yeah, safe to say my point still stands

No , 216 + 10 is 226 reviews, which is a fair sample size, your just trying to deny facts to keep your view on this. I have cold hard referenced independent sources for everything ive said, you have an opinion that is incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

I haven't read through all the posts, but has anyone pointed out yet that Mandate originally proposed the 15 hour minimum contracts that they're now so vehemently opposed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

Plates wrote: »
    I haven't read through all the posts, but has anyone pointed out yet that Mandate originally proposed the 15 hour minimum contracts that they're now so vehemently opposed to?

That was years ago when 15 hours might have been ok (Dunnes at the time wanted zero hours but union fought it) but it's not adequate now.

razzler wrote: »
    That was years ago when 15 hours might have been ok (Dunnes at the time wanted zero hours but union fought it) but it's not adequate now.

how was 15 hours ok years ago compared to now ?

Er, they DID vote against it! Either by NOT joining the Union or by actually voting NO. They also voiced their feelings by working on the day of the strike. I agree that Mandate are acting for the majority of their members, but they only represent 2/3 of the workforce.

11,000 employees in republic- source, head office. Many of these staff are not permanent but many had said, on the lead up to the strike, that if they were permanent they would be union members and support the strike. But as it is, they knew if they joined and striked they would be out of a job quick smart. Not joining the union or not striking doesn't automatically mean they "voted" against it.

Living is more expensive now in relation to basic expenses compared to the average wage.

11,000 employees in republic- source, head office. Many of these staff are not permanent but many had said, on the lead up to the strike, that if they were permanent they would be union members and support the strike. But as it is, they knew if they joined and striked they would be out of a job quick smart. Not joining the union or not striking doesn't automatically mean they "voted" against it.

And if my aunt had b*llox she'd be my uncle.

Living is more expensive now in relation to basic expenses compared to the average wage.

And how exactly did you calculate that?

I have a funny feeling that dunnes are somehow responsible for covering rising rents or other such... :rolleyes:

aswell as the fact that only 19% voted for strike action show an 80%+ job satisfaction rating among dunnes staff.[/quote]

I'd reckon 25% voted for strike action based on 11,000 employees, 4000 in the union and 67% of these voted in favour. Anyway, to say that because 20% voted yes to something, means that 80% automatically are opposed is like saying that 1 in 3 road accidents are caused by drunk drivers so 2 out of 3 accidents are caused by sober drivers.

• Advertisement

If dunnes became a union house Mandate stand to gain :
    €3.80 a week
    *52 weeks a year
    *14000 employees
    =
    €2,766,400 Per Year

Look at the big picture here, the staff are just pawns being played by a money hungry union.

According to this : (broadsheet.ie bleeding heart lefty warning ) http://www.broadsheet.ie/2015/04/14/everybody-needs-a-bit-of-stability/
    And I just left then…[Life on a low-hour contract] is bad. You can’t get bank loans for a house.
    Corrina wrote:
    you’ve no life, you can’t plan your life. You can’t get mortgages,

A retail floorstaff job is not here to service a mortgage, it was that kind of thinking that caused the bubble.

Just so I'm clear on what the issue is. Can anyone who supports the argument from Mandate (can't say argument from Dunnes workers since less than 20% voted for the action) explain what a solution would look like? And bear in mind the solution would have to apply to all workers in all industries that use contract staff.

I'd reckon 25% voted for strike action based on 11,000 employees, 4000 in the union and 67% of these voted in favour. Anyway, to say that because 20% voted yes to something, means that 80% automatically are opposed is like saying that 1 in 3 road accidents are caused by drunk drivers so 2 out of 3 accidents are caused by sober drivers.

no, but 2 independent surveys of employee satisfaction tallying with the figure certainly does prove it http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=95085235&postcount=400

• Registered Users Posts: 23 bettyl

This was put on a Facebook site set up by staff against strike:

Mandates way of gaining revenue action plan

1. dream up a campaign with a catchy slogan. key objective is to get public sympathy. don't worry if your 'facts' aren't true.
    2. get your hard core members to buy into the campaign by promising the earth. it doesn't matter if you know you can't deliver.
    3. make the campaign public and ensure that you make out the employer to be nasty, uncaring and selfish and only interested in making money ( okay that's what businesses do but lets not get bogged down in the details)
    4. organise meetings all over the country to start getting the subscriptions rolling in. tell the crowds that turn up that all they have to do is follow your instructions and their lives will be transformed ( in the absence of crowds, tell the handful that turn up that their job is to do your job. recruit people from their stores by telling them the same lies you have told and not to listen to any facts. they just get in the way.
    5. organise a ballot for strike action. this is the easy bit as we know we have enough in the hardcore to get our majority. most will not bother voting as they will not believe that people will follow us to the cliff. we will use their complacency against them.
    6. announce the result to widespread acclaim. headline " two thirds of dunnes staff vote for strike action " yes we know that only 2000 people have voted yes which is only 40 % of mandate members and on conservative estimates 20 % of the workforce but do not worry, we know our friends in the press never let the facts get in the way of a good story. now we up the recruitment drive with the knowledge that we have a mandate from our people.
    6. if your loyal disciples manage to convince enough people in their stores to join the crusade it is then all their jobs to do whatever it takes to put pressure on everyone else to join up. let them know that their failure to join up will not be appreciated and that it is unacceptable not to follow the herd even if it is heading for the edge of a cliff. do not be put off by silly concerns from some about the damage to the business and their incomes. this will all fade away when mandate gets in the drivers seat. and some of your less intelligent colleagues will even spout rubbish about being happy in their jobs. do not listen to them. for they know not what they do.
    7. if you fail to get any of your colleagues to buy into mandates 'vision' due to them having a mind of their own do not worry. we will launch a campaign of online abuse calling them names and attempt to shame them into following us to the cliff. we have other tactics but they will be revealed later.
    8. get some willing volunteers to speak to the press about the horrible conditions they have to work under. make sure they emphasise how horrible their managers are and that they are specially trained in the dark arts of nastiness, sneakiness and having no decency whatsoever. your volunteers may add for sensationalism that they believe this training is carried out by the kgb. it does not matter that most of them are just ordinary people who were once staff themselves and are just trying to better themselves by moving up the ladder. remember facts are the enemy of our movement.
    9. organise some pre strike events giving out some free pens and shopping bags to show how generous we are. we give you free what dunnes stores charges you for. we are so nice. these shopping bags will come in handy when you will all shop in aldi and lidl in the future when all other retailers are wiped out. the pens will come in handy for signing on. don't publicise that bit.
    10. the day of the strike arrives and unbelievably many non believers have decided to go to work. the cheek. how dare they defy us. some whole stores defy us. do not worry believers, we will teach them. we will send professional protesters en masse to show them that they will not defy us. do they think this is a democracy or something. willing politicians will queue up to have their photos taken in the pursuit of popularity with the masses. they will not ask any awkward questions about facts, they seek only votes. our friends in the press will support us not bothered by the fact that, with a few exceptions , large numbers of the picketers are not dunnes staff. in some stores all the staff are at work but we send our nastiest people to them to intimidate their loyal customers from shopping with them.
    11. we are then met with widespread acclaim for our wonderful strike. no one questions us. we are all powerful. no one will know that behind the scenes we have an ever growing pile of resignation letters to get through. well they will wait and while they wait we will continue to take their money. we will also send them threatening letters to try to intimidate them to remain on course with us as we head for the cliff. do not worry at this stage that sales may fall in your stores and your hours may be cut. it is a small price to pay for the glorious future ahead when dunnes stores is nationalised by people before profit. then we wil enter a great age where hard work is no longer rewarded and our country will collapse into a spiral of decline. but don't worry you will be armed with your free pens and shopping bags for your weekly trips to the dole office and aldi and lidl. what a bright future we will have.
    12. unfortunately this is where all union led operations take a turn for the worst. having reached our peak we now know that large numbers of dunnes stores staff have seen through our recruitment drive. we are buried under a pile of resignations and need temporary storage facilities as our offices are overflowing. so instead of announcing a sequel to the most successful strike in history, we put out soundbites about escalating our action. we talk about about public events and marches ( cliff top marches would be best) . the truth is we need to string this out as long as we can to keep the money rolling in while not doing anything at all. we will make empty threats and speak of legal action and government legislation. yes the government, the same government we are fighting with over water charges. they will save us.
    13. so keep the faith, we have gathered many members, if only for a few weeks, but hey its better than nothing. unfortunately we cannot currently pay you your strike pay because we gave away all our pens and therefore cannot write the cheques. sorry about that. now who do we target next on our recruitment drive. and do not worry faithful followers, some will say we made a mess of this but its what we do. and let nobody say we are not damn good at it.

Living expenses like bills, mortgage and the many new taxes take a bigger slice from a persons wage today than they did before. Sorry I don't have at hand the many figures and surveys that some posters arm themselves with.

Living expenses like bills, mortgage and the many new taxes take a bigger slice from a persons wage today than they did before. Sorry I don't have at hand the many figures and surveys that some posters arm themselves with.

anyone using a dunnes (or any other non managerial retail) wage to pay a mortgage needs their head examined.

And if my aunt had b*llox she'd be my uncle.

I got my info from actually hearing what staff had to say.

In other words you have nothing to support your opinions against the facts of others.

• Advertisement

bettyl wrote: »
    This was put on a Facebook site set up by staff against strike:

Love it. What's the link to the page?

Advertisement