Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

getting good reviews. cant wait. just have to finish bloodline

• Registered Users Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭Corvo

When does it start?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

John_Rambo wrote: »
    I never watched one till I got diagnosed with fatherhood. Can't believe how clever they are and how they've aimed the humour towards adults. Funny stuff.

'Never'? So you'd never watched any of the old classic Disney movies as a kid? Bambi, Beauty and The Beast, The Lion King etc.? You've been missing out.

Roquentin wrote: »
    getting good reviews. cant wait. just have to finish bloodline

Heard Bloodline is great, some have said it's better than HoC. Netflix are absolutely on the ball with their originals it seems and they're only going to grow from here so I can't wait to see what they'll do in the future. The best part of this Daredevil series is it's just one part of a trio of shows for different superheroes that'll all join together for a mini series, and the budget for all of them is huge.

Corvo wrote: »
    When does it start?

Tomorrow.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Separate threads for film & TV
    Gave Rudderless a watch this evening on the Irish site. William H Macy's directorial debut. It's about a grieving father who starts singing his dead son's songs at an open mic and ends up starting a band. I really enjoyed it and the music was pretty good. It's quite light in tone despite touching on one or two serious issues. Pleasantly surprised to see Ben Kweller showing up in an acting role too.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The One I Love added to the Irish site, already on a few other regions. Heard good things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The One I Love added to the Irish site, already on a few other regions. Heard good things.

I watched it a while back. Thought it was ok, I read a review of it where someone described it as a full length episode of the Twilight Zone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Turtwig wrote: »
    Orphan Black season 2 on Irish Netflix. Anyone who hasn't yet checked out this series needs to. The first season is excellent!

Don't know how I missed this one on the Beeb. Really enjoyed the first two episodes last night. Looking forward to red vino and another 2 or 3 tonight! Cheers for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Heard Bloodline is great, some have said it's better than HoC. Netflix are absolutely on the ball with their originals it seems and they're only going to grow from here so I can't wait to see what they'll do in the future. The best part of this Daredevil series is it's just one part of a trio of shows for different superheroes that'll all join together for a mini series, and the budget for all of them is huge.

Not a hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Birneybau wrote: »
    Not a hope.
    I've watched first two episodes of bloodline and though I'd admit the acting is excellent, I'm a bit dubious about the storyline, am I going to watch a very long drawn out story about how they killed their brother? Cause I'd need a bit more to invest in this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Kick Ass 2 was added to Netflix Netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Better than HoC'? When I read that my only thought is 'well that wouldn't be very hard' :pac: Dreadfully shallow, one note show that has only gotten less tolerable with each passing season. Even visualy - the one thing it had going for it, with Fincher's touch enhancing the cold, clinical tone of the show - it has really lost its sheen. From it pantomime lead performance (Wright fares better, but is limited by schizophrenic, hollow characterisation) to its increasingly overstretched running time (telling that the BBC version covered the same ground in a fraction of the time), its one show whose almost universally positive reception continues to surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Very much agree, with the exception that I have found Season 2 to be better than Season 1, primarily because I never felt his opponents stood a chance in Season 1; not that you ever expect the protagonist of a show to ever "lose" but it just feels like the opposition has a reasonable chance this Season. I think a lot of people just like Kevin Spacey and as a result cut him a lot of slack. Heck, I do too. And I can't really blame him for the pantomime performance given that Underwood is a pantomime villain. It never really feels like anything is at stake either; whatever way the axe falls it cuts in favour of the Underwoods given that they have no meaningful goal other than the accumulation of more and more power.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I've watched first two episodes of bloodline and though I'd admit the acting is excellent, I'm a bit dubious about the storyline, am I going to watch a very long drawn out story about how they killed their brother? Cause I'd need a bit more to invest in this series.

Bloodline is a slow burner but it dose eventually draw you in about episode 5 or 6, the plot itself has been done before but it really is all about the eventual built up to the last two episodes and it doesn't fall into contrived twists and turns unlike most shows on network TV (well until the very last minute you'll see what I mean was a wee bit let down Lol).

Ben Mendelssohn is the main draw though I haven't seen a performance that good in many a years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Just watched Dark Days. Documentary about the homeless people who dwell in the tunnels underneath New York City. Really haunting and gritty atmosphere with a great use of grainy black and white. Definitely worth a look if not an easy watch at times.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Force Majeure which is in Irish cinemas this week is on US Netflix. It's a Swedish film about a couple and their children who take a ski holiday but it doesn't work out well for them.

This was quite a strange film with a really unsettling atmosphere. It's really well filmed and acted and worth a watch. It's getting the US remake treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Watched Downloaded, a documentary about Napster, the company which made global headlines when millions of users began sharing music files through it (and which was subsequently sued by the likes of Metallica and Dr. Dre).

It was written and directed by Alex Winter, who is probably best known for playing Bill in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure.

It's a pretty interesting look at the file-sharing boom, which continues to this day, albeit focusing specifically on one company rather than the movement as a whole.

Sean Parker, who was a co-founder, went on to work at Facebook and Spotify, and was played by Justin Timberlake in David Fincher's The Social Network.

I mostly wanted to watch it for the contributions of people like Noel Gallagher and Henry Rollins, though they were few and far between.

Supposedly My Life Directed by Nicolas Winding Refn is being added to Netflix US today, no sign of it on the site and it's still in theaters and on VOD so who knows.

Few notable new additions on the US one
    Pioneer
    The World Made Straight
    The Code

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

The Impossible is finally up on Netflix, the South American Regions.

I've been searching for it regularly for the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

'The Notorious Mr. Bout' is on Netflix Ireland/UK.

Its a decent documentary about Viktor Bout, the Russian who ran a huge air cargo/arms dealing business out of the middle east and later central Africa.
    A lot of the footage used is excellent as he was an amateur film maker, and took a camera with him everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Miracle Mile on the Irish Netflix. Good movie from the eighties about a guy who gets a phone call telling him that a nuclear holocaust is about to kick off. Really appealed to me because as a child i was really paranoid about the Cold War and all that.

It's done well, zips along nicely but does look dated, which adds to the appeal in all fairness.

• Advertisement

Spring Breakers was added to the Irish site, lots of people hated it, some people loved it, I thought it was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Spring Breakers was added to the Irish site, lots of people hated it, some people loved it, I thought it was ok.

I'm interested in watching that, It was on before but got removed before I watched it.

Anyone else watching Daredevil? Its surprisingly violent. I'm 4 episodes in and enjoying it a lot.

I'm interested in watching that, It was on before but got removed before I watched it.

Anyone else watching Daredevil? Its surprisingly violent. I'm 4 episodes in and enjoying it a lot.

First 4 watched as well,really enjoying it so far. As for the violence, yeah it's much more than I expected
    particularly the end of episode 4 with the car door

Spring Breakers is worth a watch for curiosity alone, and James Franco's performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

First 4 watched as well,really enjoying it so far. As for the violence, yeah it's much more than I expected
    particularly the end of episode 4 with the car door

Spring Breakers is worth a watch for curiosity alone, and James Franco's performance.

yup, the scene you mentioned was enough to drive the missus from the room, and thats saying something as shes a huge fan of Game of Thrones and Banshee, both of which can be gory enough at times.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Spring Breakers is pretty close to being a masterpiece of subversive, experimental cinema, and also benefits from being riotously funny. It is still the greatest cinematic miracle of this decade that it got a wide cinema release, elegantly trolling audiences in multiplexes across the Western world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

No word in the English language describes how bad this movie was. It was as enjoyable as cancer.

Spring Breakers is pretty close to being a masterpiece of subversive, experimental cinema, and also benefits from being riotously funny. It is still the greatest cinematic miracle of this decade that it got a wide cinema release, elegantly trolling audiences in multiplexes across the Western world.
    No word in the English language describes how bad this movie was. It was as enjoyable as cancer.

As I said, some people loved it some people hated it. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

yea its up their with kane

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I couldn't stand Spring Breakers. I thought it was intolerably brutal to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

peaky blinders season 1 coming to irish netflix this saturday 18th

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement