Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix - Film Recommendations *READ FIRST POST*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Separate threads for film & TV
    nocoverart wrote: »
    Just finished watching A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, can't remember the last time I enjoyed a film this much. Quality stuff!

I'm tempted to watch it but it's getting a theatrical release in a month's time and I'm thinking it might be a nice change of pace from the likes of Mad Max, so may opt to pay and see it at my local cinema of choice.

Glad to hear it's good though, the trailer is certainly full of promise :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

nocoverart wrote: »
    Just finished watching A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night, can't remember the last time I enjoyed a film this much. Quality stuff!

Is this on the Irish version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Warper wrote: »
    Is this on the Irish version

No, U.S only.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

check out daredevil for vincent d'onofrio's portrayal of kingpin. very good

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm tempted to watch it but it's getting a theatrical release in a month's time and I'm thinking it might be a nice change of pace from the likes of Mad Max, so may opt to pay and see it at my local cinema of choice.

The theatre release, that will just be the IFI and one or two more though won't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Its on the Scandinavian Netflix' still, but nowhere else.

Many thanks!

Is series 2 of The Americans on Netflix anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Fysh wrote: »

I'm no Movie Buff by any means, but I'd say watch it ASAP and its definitely worthy of a second watch in the cinema.

The film oozes atmosphere from start to finish. Left a big impression on me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Why waste your first screening on Netflix when you know it's coming to the cinema though? If the opportunity is there to see a film as it's meant to be seen without much waiting, then to me there's no question waiting a few weeks is the better option (slightly different when there's months or years worth of a gap). Better to watch it a second time at home than see it first time at home if you feel that inclination (Not to mention it's very rare that I'd want to rewatch even great films without a good long gap between viewings). Having seen the film at JDIFF, I'd certainly say there's several moments in the film that massively benefit from a big screen and robust sound system :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,023 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Why waste your first screening on Netflix when you know it's coming to the cinema though? If the opportunity is there to see a film as it's meant to be seen without much waiting, then to me there's no question waiting a few weeks is the better option (slightly different when there's months or years worth of a gap). Better to watch it a second time at home than see it first time at home if you feel that inclination (Not to mention it's very rare that I'd want to rewatch even great films without a good long gap between viewings). Having seen the film at JDIFF, I'd certainly say there's several moments in the film that massively benefit from a big screen and robust sound system :)

That's the impression I got from the trailer alright. I'm happy enough to wait for it as I know my preferred local cinema is going to be screening it. I'm the same for rewatching films, it's very rare I'd watch the same film twice with less than at least a couple of months between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,438 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Person of Interest season 3 added to Netflix Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Why waste your first screening on Netflix when you know it's coming to the cinema though? If the opportunity is there to see a film as it's meant to be seen without much waiting, then to me there's no question waiting a few weeks is the better option

Watching at home with a good screen and sound system beats the hassle of having to put up with all the annoyances a trip to the cinema has to offer. Hardly a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Person of Interest season 3 added to Netflix Ireland.

Is this show any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

noodler wrote: »
    Is this show any good?

Very. It starts off like your typical procedural with a bit of a batman thrown in and isn't that amazing, decent though. It grows and grows. Haven't seen the latter part of the fourth season though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Is this show any good?
    It's a brilliantly complex show. Like Turtwig says, it starts out as a crime of the week but towards the end of first season (I think) and by a couple of episodes into the second season they really change it up into something special and has stayed like that throughout. Thoroughly recommend it.

+3 for Person of Interest. Third series is the best. Fourth series is currently airing on USA TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Ageyev wrote: »
    +3 for Person of Interest. Third series is the best. Fourth series is currently airing on USA TV.

The third season hasn't actually finished airing on channel 5 yet so its good to have it arrive here so early :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

The third season hasn't actually finished airing on channel 5 yet so its good to have it arrive here so early :D.
    On RTE2, they're on episode 18 of season 2 this Monday coming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Is this show any good?

Apparently it takes 22-28 episodes to really get going. I tried a few episodes but who has pateince for that much mediocre TV when we're being spoiled at the moment?

The fact it uses the old model of 22 epsodes per season does it no favours here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

IvaBigWun wrote:
    Apparently it takes 22-28 episodes to really get going. I tried a few episodes but who has pateince for that much mediocre TV when we're being spoiled at the moment?

Same here. Tempted to go back. Think I saw an article on IGN about the critical episodes to watch and what to leave out of S1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

2 reasons for most, to save a few quid and mainly because it may not come to a cinema near them, I can't imagine A Girl Walks Home will be getting a massive national release.

• Advertisement

sweetie wrote: »
    Same here. Tempted to go back. Think I saw an article on IGN about the critical episodes to watch and what to leave out of S1

Season 1 - "Pilot" - "Ghosts" - "Witness" - "Root Cause" - "Many Happy Returns" - "No Good Deed" - "Firewall"

Season 2 - "The Contingency" - "Bad Code" - "Prisoner's Dilemma" - "Dead Reckoning" - "Relevance" - "Trojan Horse" - "Zero Day" - "God Mode"

Season 3 - "Liberty" - "Nothing to Hide" - "Lady Killer" - "Endgame" -
    "The Crossing" - "The Devil's Share" - "Lethe" - "Aletheia" - "RAM" - "Beta" - "A House Divided" - "Deus Ex Machina"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/27/person-of-interest-the-episodes-that-will-catch-you-up?page=1

The link is mostly spoiler free and mostly just someone saying "I liked this episode"

The show is a bit like X-Files with a story arc across a number of episodes and some stand alone "number of the week". It heats up in series two and three is great.

Those episode guides by ign are very poor. In all honesty person of interest isn't bad. Like all primetime network shows you have to invest a few episodes into the characters. You also have to "adjust" to their world. (Basically in person of interest everything is dumbed down to incredible degrees e.g
    Detective : his alibi checked out.
    Detective 2 : which means he's not our guy.

Detective: yeah this isn't my first rodeo you idiot!

Except, they ever say that last line.:( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Roquentin wrote: »
    check out daredevil for vincent d'onofrio's portrayal of kingpin. very good

I. Feel. That. He. Talks veryslow. And. Fast. Infitsandspasms. Though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Back to Person of Interest, I enjoy it, the only thing starting to bug me now is this they still insist they shoot bad guys in the knee or shoulder, even when its life or death with the current "mega baddies". Think the Machine or even Harold would let them defend themselves fully.

The new release for May are pretty piss poor in America. The only two of interest I could find are Boxtrools and Inglorious Bastards. Some of the smaller Independent movies I wouldn't of heard of might be interesting though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

The new release for May are pretty piss poor in America. The only two of interest I could find are Boxtrools and Inglorious Bastards. Some of the smaller Independent movies I wouldn't of heard of might be interesting though.

USA is no longer where it's at for netflix

canada, mexico, brazil, netherlands and sweden all miles better at the moment with surprisingly impressive catalogues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

donfers wrote: »
    USA is no longer where it's at for netflix

canada, mexico, brazil, netherlands and sweden all miles better at the moment with surprisingly impressive catalogues

Only thing US still tops is the choice of kids TV. According to my lads anyway.

The US has a great selection of documentary's and TV shows, probably the best around, but for new movie releases Canada Brazil and Sweden is the place to go. As Donfers mentioned they have the most impressive catalogue of movies.

I just re-watched the first episode of Person of Interest. Not a great idea so soon after Daredevil. The jarring editing in the POI fight scenes stands out by a mile. It actually looks quite terrible.

I guess my rewind binge is going to have to wait a little longer. :(

• Advertisement

Some good shows leaving next month IT Crowd, Father Ted, Inbetweeners and Scrubs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement