Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

A wake up call for the new management if there ever was one. Can't beat the Tyrone blanket or the all out attack approach from Dublin. 2015 does not look promising at this point.

Suppose it is the league but it's looking very ominous for 2015. The team have all the appearance of having been on the road 4 years. Dublin were very impressive but we certainly contributed to that impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Stop hitting the weights and start focusing on the football would be a good start for the new management to rectify that ****e we witnessed tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Looked very poorly coached into a gameplan. The middle eight played as individuals and were trying to setup driving runs constantly or solo forward efforts. With two target men inside. The ball to Freeman bar one ball was muck. Ronaldson n Freeman can thank the backs n middle eight for being subbed. Kevin Keane shooting from 40 yards with OShea in front of goals. Aidan OShea ended up carrying the team.
    Someone with speed n football has to partner Seamus OShea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Suppose it is the league but it's looking very ominous for 2015. The team have all the appearance of having been on the road 4 years. Dublin were very impressive but we certainly contributed to that impression.

I'd tend to agree with you, I have often thought that 2015 may be a year that Mayo "take off" or are forced to "take off" more like, what with new management, road weariness etc.

A very poor performance all round but it should be said that Dublin were up for it, seeing that a loss would have kept them in relegation zone.

Tomorrow's results should cast a bit of light on what sort of points will be needed to make the top 4 and stay up, with two thought games to go one win should ensure that top 4 place, and thus at least one more game before the trip to Galway

By the way Setanta was like Mayo TV tonight.
    Mike Fennerty on commentary, Liam McHale on analysis and Bill Joe on the sideline, and Horan in the studio for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Barlett

Anyone hear James Horan's take on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Very sad day .Very sad as it was a wonderful evening and we should have seen exhibition football.
    Very disappointed that management didn't steady the ship when Dublin started their purple patch at 10 mins into it. It should have been steady the ship and limit the damage. Then push on.
    The reactions were far too late and were nowhere near effective.
    Thought our guys were afraid to touch Connelly.our knockouts were horrendously slow and were forced to the middle of the park where we lost all breaking ball. Our to major breaking ball sweepers Are not doing that role this year. That is McLaughlin and Keegan. Keegan's play all of this league is abysmal. His shot choices and passing are terrible.
    Positives. This year a Oshea. Can't fault his work. Tonight I didn't think I would be saying this but was delighted to see Dillon coming in. There was very little intelligence in the forward 6. Our full forward line for 10 mins in the second half was Sweeney and Donaldson. We pumped high balls in with our smallest players there.
    Got to stop but my final thought after that was changed expectations.
    Maybe horans player selection and especially positioning was as good as it gets. Disappointed with and for the management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

A lot of problems to solve after that:
    - Midfield partner of Seamus OShea needs running speed and that is not Vaughan.
    - The half backline all three of them were soloing, handpassing backwards, running the ball inside the Dublin 45, but never simply kicking the ball in long. It's like they're on a different page tactically to the rest of the team.
    - Doherty, McGloughlin, Diarmuid OConnor hardly a ball kicked into the two target men all night.
    Dillon needs to come in as he immediately flighted a long early ball to OShea.
    Tom Parsons can't get fit soon enough. Keith Higgins should be tried wing back and instructed to launch ball long. He's getting on ball too deep in our half. Somehow get him freer further up the pitch with instructions to kick long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Brutal display. I cannot understand why the two guys on the sideline did not make one change to combat the dublin attack. At the moment these guys are way out of their dept and I am worried ... tyrone game and now this game, so a little pattern is starting.

I hope they C&H can make a go of it but it could end up that we let the best man to manage mayo go.

Have had time to reflect on a thoroughly disappointing evening.For some time now I have concerns re Tom Cunniffe at corner back..error prone.After a promising start Tom's 2 errors were responsible for coughing up 1-1 to Dublin without them breaking as much as a sweat.It seemed to cause our lads to go into a collective shellshock and check our momentum.

A common denominator in this clash and the Tyrone game has been the tardiness of the management in making changes.Changes were required midway through the first half.Poor Kevin McLoughlin was having a nightmare,distribution way off and one awful wide from a free.Things changed very little as the game progressed.Jim Gavin and Eamonn Fitzmaurice are not afraid to make changes....Bryan Sheehan against Cork last week.
    There were a multitude of changes that could have been made.The obvious change was to bring on Danny Kirby,the change came far too late.I was never as happy to see Alan Dillon make an appearance,he still has an intelligence in his final years lacking in some of the younger lads.

Our much vaunted half back line,in particular Lee Keegan are out of sorts.They are great on the front foot but can't at present perform their primary duty to defend.Keith Higgins at times reminds me of the boy plugging multipile holes in the dyke except he was under pressure himself last night.Our middle 8 are failing win primary possession or breaking ball.Donal Vaughan is not the solution at midfield with his obvious lack of mobility.

The persistence on the use of the handpass to the bursting player is killing us.We require much more emphasis on quick direct and ACCURATE footpassing inside from our halfbacks.Donie Buckley's much vaunted coaching in the tackle and ensuring correct execution of passing is not much in evidence this year.It was amazing how often we turned over possession,when Dublin lost possession we almost invariably made an error and gave it back immediately.

Cluxton's kickouts were a joy to behold,supreme execution but it was mindboggling the amount of space the Dublin lads had so he could pick them out.

In the forwards I'm not convinced the athleticism of young Diarmuid O Connor is enough at this level at the current time.It was very hard to understand putting 2 small men inside Ronaldson and McLoughlin and subsequently Michael Sweeney was going to be a smart idea for winning a high ball in the second half.

Alan Freeman did not always get quality ball but started off quite well in the half forward line before fading.It appears we will be looking to an injury free Cillian O Connor to carry us up front...very worrying.

Not too many positives but I can only laud Aidan O Shea with the highest of praise...he again was the one carrying the game to the opposition.We appear to need him in the middle and at full forward?

It was a very sad night for the players,gutted for them.It is the league but they looked way off the pace/leggy relative to the spring in their step Dubs.Is this a result of 4 hard years on the road or a heavy week's training?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,141 ✭✭✭✭km79

I did not quote the post above as its quite long but it NAILED it. spot on! my thoughts exactly. Keegan mcloughlin and the management are my main concerns after last night. mcloughlin seems to be immune from being subbed and is playing somewhat on his reputation of TWO years ago!
    anyway I also hope it was down to a heavy weeks physical training as some of them genuinely looked like they had not seen a ball in a week!
    also make no mistake we are COMPLETELY reliant on Cillian. for his frees , his strength , his passing and his scoring ability. he is our forward line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

km79 wrote: »
    I did not quote the post above as its quite long but it NAILED it. spot on! my thoughts exactly. Keegan mcloughlin and the management are my main concerns after last night. mcloughlin seems to be immune from being subbed and is playing somewhat on his reputation of TWO years ago!
    anyway I also hope it was down to a heavy weeks physical training as some of them genuinely looked like they had not seen a ball in a week!
    also make no mistake we are COMPLETELY reliant on Cillian. for his frees , his strength , his passing and his scoring ability. he is our forward line

Said this too last night. Take Cillian out of that forward line and you're left with forwards who are very light on firepower. There's no go to man in there who will consistently get you scores. Chopping and changing won't work either.

Aidan O'Shea needs to be played in one position. Stop moving him around, either move onto the edge or the square or deeper, not both.

Hennelly's kickouts were poor. We need to sort this. Donal Vaughan is not a midfielder either. There could be another role for him but it's not in midfield.

Overall we were an absolute mess last night. All over the shop, not organised and without a gameplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Very worrying stuff from the 2 guys on the line. Vaughan is not a Midfield option and never will be. To move him into eleven then of all places was a shock to the system. Vaughan either starts at wing-back or he doesn't start. Durcan struggled and I could not believe that switch was never made.

I echoed these sentiments after the Tyrone game and not alot has changed. Boyler looks miles off the pace, he was blowin hard towards the end last night. As mentioned already I hope this is down to the training schedule and not the 4 hard years which have gone before. We looked awful leggy all over the pitch, no intensity and it truly was men against boys.

Noel & Pat failed their secong biggest test. Wheres the logic in playing DOC after him playing an U-21 match a few days previous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Better off learning these lessons in the league than being exposed in the summer. Dublin, to give them their due were outstanding. Mayo looked fired up going forward but were a shambles at the back, the midfield sat way too deep and invited Dublin on to them.

A lot of the complaints above could apply just as easily to the Horan era- obsessively running the ball down the middle, poor delivery off the boot, etc. The biggest issue concerning Aidan O'Shea's deployment as a forward is his absence contesting kickouts at midfield, that's a dilemma but it's easily resolved - just move him back to the centre and play a work-horse at 11 who'll drop deep into a defensive role, e.g. McLoughlin or Vaughan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A bad defeat at home to the dubs but no need to panic yet. One more win will likely be enough for Mayo to reach another league semi final and a better more focused outfit will be seem then. With no championship game until mid June I also think it's important that they get another run out in Croke park in April.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

thought the game on Sunday was a strange one. Mayo made Dublin look great. No team in the championship will offer the dubs that space, so we learned nothing. The dubs needed the points Mayo didn't and that's how they looked too.
    the Mayo half back line need to check the numbers on their shirts.

They gave McManaman huge space to run into or step back into.

Funnily, points aside Mayo could benefit more from this game that Dublin. I hope that was a once off, this is a great bunch of Mayo players, I'd hate to see them wasted by poor management.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The Connacht U-21 Football Championship resumes this Saturday where Mayo will take on Galway in the Eirgrid Connacht GAA U-21 Football Championship Semi-Final. Mayo U-21 Manager Niall Heffernan has made just one change to the team from that which beat Leitrim last Wednesday week. After impressing off the bench in the Quarter-Final victory over Leitrim, Conor Loftus comes into the side in the place of Brian Reape. The Mayo U-21 Football Team to face Galway in the Eirgrid Connacht GAA U-21 Football Championship Semi-Final this Saturday 21st March at 5.00p.m. at Elverys MacHale Park is as follows:

1.) Matthew Flanagan - Balla
    2.) Michael Hall - Breaffy
    3.) David Kenny - Aghamore
    4.) James Stretton - Claremorris
    5.) Patrick Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels
    6.) Stephen Coen - Hollymount/Carramore
    7.) Sean Regan - Ballina Stephenites
    8.) Diarmuid O'Connor - Ballintubber
    9.) Val Roughneen - Balla
    10.) T.J. Byrne - Kiltimagh
    11.) Adam Gallagher - Mayo Gaels (Capt.)
    12.) Darren McHale - Knockmore
    13.) Cian Burke - Ballymun Kickhams
    14.) Conor Loftus - Crossmolina Deel Rovers
    15.) James Durcan - Castlebar Mitchels

16.) Sean Shaughnessy - Ballinrobe
    17.) Kevin Lynch - Mayo Gaels
    18.) Eddie Doran - Achill
    19.) Matthew Ruane - Breaffy
    20.) Michael Plunkett - Ballintubber
    21.) Brian Reape - Bohola Moy Davitts
    22.) Eoghan Lavin - Kiltimagh
    23.) Darragh Ruane - Bohola Moy Davitts
    24.) Steven Conroy - The Neale

The lads will need to up their performance significantly one suspects to prevail.Matthew Ruane is a tad unlucky not to get a starting spot after a strong showing off the bench.Roscommon sure gave Sligo an almighty hammering on Wednesday night.They shall be formidable opposition for either team over the Easter weekend.

Galway 1-12 Mayo 11

Mayo beaten by the better team. Diarmuid O'Connor's black card and the Galway goal straight after was the turning point. Mayo's senior players generally done okay.

Poor enough crowd in Castlebar, it was a fine evening too. Rugby probably made more than a few stay in.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Mayo beaten by the better team. Diarmuid O'Connor's black card and the Galway goal straight after was the turning point. Mayo's senior players generally done okay.

Poor enough crowd in Castlebar, it was a fine evening too. Rugby probably made more than a few stay in.

I have heard stories that the players are not gone on the U21 management, not sure how true this is, so I was not surprise they lost anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Those stories are pretty true. The minor AI winning team now only have only one year to deliver something.

Syferus wrote: »
    Those stories are pretty true. The minor AI winning team now only have only one year to deliver something.

Ya but winning at U21 and minor does not guarantee senior sucess. There are loads of counties that you could pick out to justify this.

It may be the kick up the arse needed to start looking at this level seriously and delivering some results.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,127 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

It doesn't help when half that minor team are still injured. That minor title will come at a serious cost I reckon. We have not been doing it at U-21 level since we won it and something has to change

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrfg

I think Roscommon will win Connaught U.21 handy this year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

2 o'clock throw in for us on Sunday. Cork hurlers are on after at 4.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    2 o'clock throw in for us on Sunday. Cork hurlers are on after at 4.

Good stuff, that will get us home an hour earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Big couple of games ahead for Mayo seniors.
    They need to win at least one to be sure of Div 1 status and a likely playoff spot.

Two losses could possibly relegated them.

Neither game will be easy either, away to Cork without Cillian and at home to Donegal, though I'd be more hopeful of a result in the latter.

Any word on the team yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any word on the team yet??

Just named a short while ago;

Mayo (NFL Division One v Cork, 29/3/2015): David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites); Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites), Kevin Keane (Westport), Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis); Lee Keegan (Westport), Colm Boyle (Davitts), Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe); Barry Moran (Castlebar Mitchels), Tom Parsons (Charlestown); Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore), Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy), Jason Doherty (Burrishoole); Mark Ronaldson (Shrule/Glencorrib), Danny Kirby (Castlebar Mitchels), Alan Dillon (Ballintubber).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭Blackjack

According to the excellent Mayogaablog:

David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites);
    Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites),
    Kevin Keane (Westport),
    Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis);
    Lee Keegan (Westport),
    Colm Boyle (Davitts),
    Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe);
    Barry Moran (Castlebar Mitchels),
    Tom Parsons (Charlestown);