Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Blackjack wrote: »
    According to the excellent Mayogaablog:

David Clarke (Ballina Stephenites);
    Ger Cafferkey (Ballina Stephenites),
    Kevin Keane (Westport),
    Keith Higgins (Ballyhaunis);
    Lee Keegan (Westport),
    Colm Boyle (Davitts),
    Donal Vaughan (Ballinrobe);
    Barry Moran (Castlebar Mitchels),
    Tom Parsons (Charlestown);
    Kevin McLoughlin (Knockmore),
    Aidan O’Shea (Breaffy),
    Jason Doherty (Burrishoole);
    Mark Ronaldson (Shrule/Glencorrib),
    Danny Kirby (Castlebar Mitchels),
    Alan Dillon (Ballintubber).

Looks like a strong lineup.

Liking the look of that team.Needed to be a reaction from the management.Nice to see David Clarke back in goal,our kickouts were definitely a problem area.It'll be interesting to see how Ger Caff fares at corner back.

The experiment of Donal Vaughan at midfield quite possibly has run it's course.Is Seamie O Shea injured or has he been dropped?Novel midfield pairing, could go quite well.

Delighted to see Danny Kirby get a run out,ditto Alan Dillon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

seligehgit wrote: »
    Liking the look of that team.Needed to be a reaction from the management.Nice to see David Clarke back in goal,our kickouts were definitely a problem area.It'll be interesting to see how Ger Caff fares at corner back.

The experiment of Donal Vaughan at midfield quite possibly has run it's course.Is Seamie O Shea injured or has he been dropped?Novel midfield pairing, could go quite well.

Delighted to see Danny Kirby get a run out,ditto Alan Dillon.

Seamie's injured I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I would be slightly concerned about our midfield. Both had had very little game time this season. I have always like Tom, but I don't know has he got what it takes to be a dominant midfielder at IC level.
    Where I think we struggled badly against Dublin was midfield. When we did win the odd break we seemed to carry ball into tackles and choose the wrong option time and time again. Primary possession from kickouts is crucial this week and we need our forwards to be lightening fast and showing for the ball from the break. Its been said here before that Mclough hasn't been up to scratch lately. Sunday will be the test in my eyes. If he wants to nail that 10 jersey he needs to play outta his skin. Will AOS move into FF, Kirby move to the corner and nd dillion come out ?? Cant see Dillon spending the game in the corner ?

The other player I think needs to show his teeth is Lee...just has not found the form of previous years.

Where is jas gibbons? Made great shapes during the league last year but has been very quite since. The other player I would love to see back is Carolan...can anyone down north mayo tell me is he back playing yet? From the times I seen him play, I always thought he had good potential.

Overall hoping for a good reaction to the Dubs loss and hopefully a win against a team I feel will have a big say in the championship this year. I feel a loss here will deject the lads considerably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrfg

Mayo have serious problems down the middle, barring AOS we not competing at No.s 3-6-8-9-11-14, my belief is AOS is best at no 11

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I was wondering myself what the story was with Jason Gibbons?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

seligehgit wrote: »
    I was wondering myself what the story was with Jason Gibbons?

Gibbons is on the mend from injury, wouldn't be surprised to see him on the bench Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Would prefer Gibbons in for Parsons. But that's an interesting team anyhow. Kirby at full forward will be a handful alright

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭neiphin

mrfg wrote: »
    Mayo have serious problems down the middle, barring AOS we not competing at No.s 3-6-8-9-11-14, my belief is AOS is best at no 11

i agree with that man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Not sure about Aidan at 11, he's not in a position to mark up on opposition kickouts. Presumably he's given a free role where he can drift in towards the square and look for the high ball in. Where does that leave Kirby though? He'll have to play as a target man for a good portion of the game with Ronaldson running the corners. Dillon again you imagine will be given a free role. It sounds beautiful in theory but it could be a mess.

Here's hoping Mayo reach the knockout stages!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 mrfg

HighKing33 wrote: »
    Not sure about Aidan at 11, he's not in a position to mark up on opposition kickouts. Presumably he's given a free role where he can drift in towards the square and look for the high ball in. Where does that leave Kirby though? He'll have to play as a target man for a good portion of the game with Ronaldson running the corners. Dillon again you imagine will be given a free role. It sounds beautiful in theory but it could be a mess.

Here's hoping Mayo reach the knockout stages

Big problem now is that we have fallen behind the other top sides at midfield, we probably ok at the back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Sucker punched....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Sucker punched....

That's a balls.
    Means no SF now I guess.
    Doc missed a tap over free early in the 2nd half and put the ball straight at the keeper with a goal chance.
    That sort of stuff comes back to bite.
    Sick.

Edit - actually there should be the last playoff spot still open next week and we have a decent pts difference, plus owning the head to head over Monaghan and Kerry, and at that stage Donegal, so there is still hope

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sabhail

mrfg wrote: »
    HighKing33 wrote: »

Here's hoping Mayo reach the knockout stages

Big problem now is that we have fallen behind the other top sides at midfield, we probably ok at the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

I'd guess a win in Castlebar against Donegal would probably guarantee us a SF place if Donegal beat Tyrone today

That's a balls.
    Means no SF now I guess.
    Doc missed a tap over free early in the 2nd half and put the ball straight at the keeper with a goal chance.
    That sort of stuff comes back to bite.
    Sick.

This switching off and conceding late majors is happening much to regularly, been happening all through the last year of Horan's reign and again today!

As you say, sick... A win away to the form team coming off the back of the Dublin game would have been brilliant.

They're well capable of beating Donegal next week though.

How are we fixed if we lose next Sunday?

I think we're safe anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Basically a win next week & they're in the semi finals...lose & depending on other results, they may be relegated

We could be in trouble.
    Assuming Donegal win today that leaves Tyrone on 4.
    They host Kerry next week.
    If they win that then they are on 6 and ahead of us on the head to head.
    However if a third team finishes on 6 (Monaghan or Kerry) then it goes to points difference and we might be saved.

So we are hoping for Monaghan to lose today and next week or for Tyrone to lose today and next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mhaigheo

If Tyrone lose there remaining games Mayo are safe no matter what happens against Donegal

• Advertisement

mhaigheo wrote: »
    If Tyrone lose there remaining games Mayo are safe no matter what happens against Donegal

As things stand at the moment, I think Tyrone will need a big win next weekend to stand any chance....

Edit: Ignore this, hadn't realised it came down to head to head...

Loser of the Tyrone Kerry game will join Derry in Division 2, if we lose to Donegal

As things stand at the moment, I think Tyrone will need a big win next weekend to stand any chance....

Edit: Ignore this, hadn't realised it came down to head to head...
    If they do it like last few years it comes down to head to head if two are tied, and points diff if its more than two.

Right now its Kerry Mayo and Donegal on 6 going for the last playoff spot

Donegal lead with + 8
    Mayo have + 3
    Kerry are -11

So its really the winner of Mayo v Donegal and for the last spot.
    And Mayo are well able to win that.

Loser of the Tyrone Kerry game will join Derry in Division 2, if we lose to Donegal

SO essentially Monaghan beating Kerry takes us out of the relegation picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Can someone clear this up .

Kerry (6) Tyrone (4)
    Donegal(. 6) mayo (6)

Monaghan on 8 already dublin7 cork 10.

Worst case next week . Mayo loose to donegal and Tyrone beat Kerry. Are Kerry then relegated?

Can someone clear this up .

Kerry (6) Tyrone (4)
    Donegal(. 6) mayo (6)

Monaghan on 8 already dublin7 cork 10.

Worst case next week . Mayo loose to donegal and Tyrone beat Kerry. Are Kerry then relegated?

Depends on the points diff.
    All 3 would finish on 6 pts
    Tyrone are -14
    Kerry -11
    Mayo +3
    Tyrone would have to beat Kerry by 4 to save their asses

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Tyrone are -14
    Kerry -11
    Mayo +3
    But wouldn't the head to head on Tyrone v Kerry mean Kerry will go down

But wouldn't the head to head on Tyrone v Kerry mean Kerry will go down

If more than two teams are tied it goes to pts diff.
    That's the way it has been for a few years anyway.

Tyrone are -14
    Kerry -11
    Mayo +3

Tyrone would only need to win by 2.

• Advertisement

Tyrone would only need to win by 2.
    Oh course, there is a swing involved