Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If Kerry give Tyrone a good old thrashing could Kerry then make the League Semi-Finals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Stinicker wrote: »
    If Kerry give Tyrone a good old thrashing could Kerry then make the League Semi-Finals?

If Donegal and Mayo draw, a Kerry win would see them clinch a semi final spot.

If Donegal win, and Monaghan lose, Kerry Go through Only if they thrash Tyrone by 20 points and whatever points difference Donegal get over Mayo.

If Donegal win and Monaghan win, Kerry beating Tyrone should see them get a semi final spot alongside each other.

If Donegal win and Dublin draw with Monaghan, then Kerry need to thrash Tyrone by 20 points and whatever points difference Donegal get over Mayo.

If Mayo win against Donegal then Kerry need Dublin to draw with Monaghan and to beat Tyrone By 16 points and whatever additional points difference greater than 1 Mayo make over Donegal.

Could be wrong but that's how I calculate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Stinicker wrote: »

If Kerry win and Monaghan beat Dublin then Kerry qualify.
    If Kerry win and Mayo v Donegal is a draw then Kerry qualify.
    If Kerry win and Monaghan v Dublin is a draw and Mayo v Donegal is a draw then Kerry qualify

Other than that they would have to be trashing Tyrone by 15 more than Mayo beat Donegal by, or 19 more than Donegal beat Mayo by.

If Kerry win and Monaghan beat Dublin then Kerry qualify.
    If Kerry win and Mayo v Donegal is a draw then Kerry qualify.
    If Kerry win and Monaghan v Dublin is a draw and Mayo v Donegal is a draw then Kerry qualify

Other than that they would have to be trashing Tyrone by 15 more than Mayo beat Donegal by, or 19 more than Donegal beat Mayo by.

What Tod said. If Kerry and Monaghan win, Kerry make the semis regardless of the result between Donegal and Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Barlett

Blackjack wrote: »
    What Tod said. If Kerry and Monaghan win, Kerry make the semis regardless of the result between Donegal and Mayo.

Incorrect, if Mayo win and Kerry win, we're both on 8 points and by virtue of the fact we beat Kerry, we'll finish ahead of them. Doesn't matter what happens in the other games ( Bar a 15 poins plus win for Kerry & a loss for Monaghan), if Mayo win on Sunday they'll be in the Semi Finals.

• Advertisement

Barlett wrote: »
    Incorrect, if Mayo win and Kerry win, we're both on 8 points and by virtue of the fact we beat Kerry, we'll finish ahead of them
    That would have Mayo and Kerry in third and fourth though, meaning both Make the semis.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Michael Murphy suspended for next Sunday,win on Sunday and more than likely another crack at cork Saturday week,,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think its a case of win, end of. Don't care who wins or loses around us.

Happy with the performance today, 1st few minutes were poor but PArsons was quality as was AOS.
    Not sure what DOC was at with that 13 yard free, but he was good besides.
    Disappointed we conceded 2 soft goals really, COS didn't track for the pass into the square, but thats all a learning task.

When would a semi be if we get through?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Semi finals are fixed for Saturday week,probably double header in croker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Is there any way we could be relegated? Much more interested in avoiding that than making a semi final

• Advertisement

Is there any way we could be relegated? Much more interested in avoiding that than making a semi final

If Tyrone win and Donegal beat us by 14 points plus the score difference between Kerry and Tyrone, we can be relegated.

That's the only scenario as far as I can see.
    Tyrone lose or draw,they are relegated.
    We draw or win (or lose by less than 14 points) and Tyrone win by 2 points or more then Kerry are relegated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Looks like a semi against Dublin if we win on Sunday as we would be likely to finish third and they would be second (if they beat Monaghan).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Encouraging performance against the in form team in this years league which is probably proof the Dublin game and manner of defeat was a one off. Just one home win against Murphy less Donegal from reaching yet another semi final. Would be something else if Kerry were to drop to div 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Encouraging performance against the in form team in this years league which is probably proof the Dublin game and manner of defeat was a one off. Just one home win against Murphy less Donegal from reaching yet another semi final. Would be something else if Kerry were to drop to div 2.

Be better to see Tyrone and the negative muck they play getting the boot.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Nearly happened recently, the Dubs travelled to Donegal and got a last minute draw, sending Donegal to Division 2 and keeping Kerry up. It was a nothing game for the Dubs too. Kerry seem to neglect the league, but nobody with an eye on Sam wants to be in division 2

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Deferred showing of the Mayo Donegal game on TG4 on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭HighKing33

Mayo impressed me the last day, the midfield in particular (I'm including A. O'Shea here), all getting forward, showing plenty of skill to boot. Only two points from the full forward line is worrying but Kirby seems to be growing into the intercounty game. Surely Barry Moran will get a run there once the midfield options increase?

Team announced
    One change

O Malley for Clarke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Team announced
    One change

O Malley for Clarke.

I appreciate they're rotating for the league, but I thought Clarke had a poor enough game against Cork.

Pretty certain they will stick with Hennelly come championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Rawhead wrote: »
    Be better to see Tyrone and the negative muck they play getting the boot.

Have you actually looked at how Kerry play under Fitz?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

I would favour OMalley as we have shown no cover for Cillians free taking. OMalley is best cover.

I'd prefer Clarke in goal myself,not too sure how interested or otherwise Donegal are in winning the game on Sunday with championship action just around the corner?

seligehgit wrote: »
    I'd prefer Clarke in goal myself,not too sure how interested or otherwise Donegal are in winning the game on Sunday with championship action just around the corner?

Donegal's Ulster championship schedule suits Mayo down to the ground, Mayo need the extra games, Donegal may not.

On the Donegal thread some are referring to it as a challenge game.

Hopefully it works out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

seligehgit wrote: »

Mayo are lucky to have 3 good keepers where other counties struggle to find one. However, Hennelly is Mayo's number one. He was 1st choice in 3 of Horan's 4 seasons in charge. He is lighter on his feet and more agile than Clarke, and an excellent passer of the ball (when team-mates show for it). I think he's brave to a fault and probably the best shot stopper too. O'Malley though has had little opportunity in goal. From what I've seen of him he is also a very good shot stopper but I'll be interested to see his kick-outs on Sunday.

Donegal's Ulster championship schedule suits Mayo down to the ground, Mayo need the extra games, Donegal may not.

On the Donegal thread some are referring to it as a challenge game.

Hopefully it works out that way.

Yes I saw that.I'd prefer if Donegal treated it like a do or die game,it is pity Michael Murphy is suspended.TBH I do not see the logic in that thinking.Surely competitive encounters are better than any form of training...injuries excepting even with their championship opening against Tyrone pending in May.

We'd get a better feel for how we are progressing with such an encounter.An ultra competitive encounter with a Mayo victory would inform us more and keep me happy.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lol just one guy in fairness. Bit of a wind up I think. Nicely done didn't have to leave his backyard to do it!

I'd be surprised if Donegal win missing their best player. But that might be their inspiration.

Stoner wrote: »
    Lol just one guy unfairness. Bit of a wind up I think. Nicely done didn't have to leave his backyard to do it!

I'd be surprised if Donegal win missing their best player. But that might be their inspiration.

I'd certainly expect the team to take the game seriously.

As the other poster said a competitive game is worth more than six weeks of training etc.

This idea of staying in the long grass or not showing ones hand in folly if you ask me

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Any news on Cillian?
    The lack of info is ominous ......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

km79 wrote: »
    Any news on Cillian?
    The lack of info is ominous ......

There was rumours he has done his cruciate and that they're trying to keep it hush. One of the tubber lads in college has seen him with strapping on his knee. I don't know if it's true or not but I'm kinda worried.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

There was rumours he has done his cruciate and that they're trying to keep it hush. One of the tubber lads in college has seen him with strapping on his knee. I don't know if it's true or not but I'm kinda worried.

I have heard a soma old Rumour which is why I'm EXTREMELY worried
    We may not win an AI with him this year but we CERTAINLY won't without him
    Hope it's not true

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement