Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 wbt

Hey guys, I'm going to be in BA from 8th to the 23rd April...anyone else around at that time who fancies meeting for a coffee and doing some sightseeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

On the way today for 2 weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

SNNUS wrote: »
    On the way today for 2 weeks :)

Could you select/change seats for outward and return?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Could you select/change seats for outward and return?
    You can do that now, it'll just cost you £20 per leg*.

* Flight leg, not actual leg. :pac:

You can do that now, it'll just cost you £20 per leg*.

* Flight leg, not actual leg. :pac:

I know that, i meant in the check in window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

Or you can select and change seats at -23 hours to departure of first flight.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'm here a month and FYI, I had issues with getting money through Azimo. The collection office didn't have enough money.

I'm here a month and FYI, I had issues with getting money through Azimo. The collection office didn't have enough money.

what sort of value? did they part pay or cancel completely?

im gonna try for around 3 to 400 euro.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I had a few values of 300, 500 and 800. They could only afford the 300 euro one. I was sent to Central office in Bs As for the rest. The Q there is normally huge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 notreve

Cherryghost,

Im curious,
    I just sent a big chunk of euro for conversion to B.A. via Azimo, can be picked up at any of their affilliates [Argenpen]
    it appears there are about 9 different facilities througout the city

are you saying the central office is my best bet to pick up la peso?
    when you say huge queue's, about how long of a waiting period ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

Think I'll just ask at my hotel for directions to a reliable cueva and change dollars over. If I spoke better Spanish I might have tried Azimo.

...And hope I don't get mugged carrying all my cash back.

yep me too, same thing tho havent sent yet.. My plan is stopping off to pick up in town between EZE and AEP transfer.

Was going to go to Retiro but assuming 'central office' is Florida, not sure i want to go there as itll be mental busy.

Appreciate the info.

yep me too, same thing tho havent sent yet.. My plan is stopping off to pick up in town between EZE and AEP transfer.

Was going to go to Retiro but assuming 'central office' is Florida, not sure i want to go there as itll be mental busy.
    K
    Appreciate the info.

Sorry I was travelling. We went to retiro argenper but they turned us down as they didn't have the cash. We went to corrientes which is the central one.

There's normally large qs and you'll be waiting longer for anything over 2k as they only pay out what they receive. They open at 9am but only start payouts at 11.

Hope that clears anything up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 notreve

Cherryghost,

I assume you mean payouts over 2k euro? [at least I hope you do]

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Asking again about internal flights. Is it best to book beforehand with euros or with Argentinian pesos when in Argentina?

The flights at first glance anyway don't seem to vary as much in price depending on the date as they do in Europe.

Does the Argentina/South America pass offered by Aerolineas Argentinas offer any significant discounts or is it not worth the hassle? (I can't seem to get pricing on their website currently).

Any strategies for avoiding the 'foreigner' tax on these flights?

Thinking also about going to see Salt Flats and Iguazu Falls, but having only ten days or so for my trip would make the holiday fairly rushed to say the least, so still in two minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

OnTheCouch wrote: »
    Asking again about internal flights. Is it best to book beforehand with euros or with Argentinian pesos when in Argentina?

The flights at first glance anyway don't seem to vary as much in price depending on the date as they do in Europe.

Does the Argentina/South America pass offered by Aerolineas Argentinas offer any significant discounts or is it not worth the hassle? (I can't seem to get pricing on their website currently).

Any strategies for avoiding the 'foreigner' tax on these flights?

Thinking also about going to see Salt Flats and Iguazu Falls, but having only ten days or so for my trip would make the holiday fairly rushed to say the least, so still in two minds.

I bought my internal flights to Salta a few weeks ago at £141 (return). That's the cheapest I've seen them at. I was going to go to Iguazu falls as well but that was going to put the prices up to £270 which is quite a bit of money.

Looked at the Aerolineas pass and it didn't seem any cheaper. I've booked with LAN through Last Minute as from what I've read Aerolineas are very unreliable.

I would get a local to buy the tickets for you.

He'll still be charged international prices though without an Argentine resident ID number.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

You might be asked for national identity pass while boarding especially if u look like a gringo

• Advertisement

I'm trying to weigh up whether or not Colonia is worth a visit.

I know I'll probably never visit Uruguay again and I'd get to tick it off the list, and it seems like a nice wee place even if there isn't a great deal to do. Then again, the ferry isn't that cheap and I don't know if that's a good enough reason to go haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Stillnotworking

Colonia is about 60€ rtn for the day trip, you just need to bring your passport if you are buying tickets. Its a small town, and the old town is even smaller. Really old world, you have about an hour walking tour included in the day trip and then 3 or 4 hours left to explore the town. I enjoyed it, and think it was just long enough to incl a long lunch and wander around the town. The other option is to go down to Montevideo also and return from there the next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

Just made the trip, 1hr layover in Frankfurt was enough, took me around 30-40 minutes to get to the gate including security.

Pretty glad to have found out about this deal :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SMI

lulzordan wrote: »
    Just made the trip, 1hr layover in Frankfurt was enough, took me around 30-40 minutes to get to the gate including security.

Pretty glad to have found out about this deal :D

I'm flying out on Monday for a week, still need to book a hostel for one night on the 17th in B.A so just checkin in here for any recommendations.
    Probably going to go for my own room as opposed to a dorm for a bit more serenity after traveling so long, also have a some valuable photography equipment that I would prefer to keep as secure as possible.
    I've been recommended Milhouse hippo by a friend, any thoughts?

Also just thought about phone/data. Any good advice for standard mobile carry on in South America? I'm on 3 bill pay and I'll see what add ons they have but my phone is unlocked, if there's a savvier way of going about it I'm all ears.
    Many thanks in advanced, looking forward front loading my Vitamin D intake for the next few months!

Is anyone else heading up to the North West. I don't think I'm able to rent car myself since I'm under 25 and I'm a little wary of that anyway, but I really want to see the Serriana Del Hornocal (Google it - I can't post links) as it seems unmissable, but I can't find any tour companies that do it as it's so off the beaten track. There's always the private tailor made option but it's so expensive since I'm just by myself.

I made reservations in a hotel in Salta for 5 nights but I've got free cancellation so I can change if I find anything.

As for Buenos Aires, I was going to do the private room in a hostel thing, but I found that a lot of nicer hotels weren't that much more expensive with a couple of the discount codes I had, so I went for that instead. It's probably less social, but I got a hotel in Palermo Soho with a rooftop pool and balcony for about £40 a night (not cheap, but definitely reasonable for what I'm getting).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

Anyone else depressed that flights within Argentina are costing more then the flights to get there? Looking at spending around 8/9days in Patagonia in May anyone tell me if it would be best to just go there and sort out tours etc when I arrive or given time constraints would it be better off booking in advance?when I was in s/a before just turning up worked really well for me but had a lot more time to play with!!

Yeah, the flights are a real pain.

I'm glad I got mine to Salta at £141 as I haven't seen them anywhere near that cheap since. Are the tours even running in Patagonia in May? I know you can get to Perito Moreno, but I think the fact that some things were starting to shut down for winter and the weather put me off a bit. Thought I'd save it for another trip. Judging by the number of deals posted on that Secret Flying site getting over there again for those prices isn't impossible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭lulzordan

SMI wrote: »
    Also just thought about phone/data. Any good advice for standard mobile carry on in South America? I'm on 3 bill pay and I'll see what add ons they have but my phone is unlocked, if there's a savvier way of going about it I'm all ears.
    Many thanks in advanced, looking forward front loading my Vitamin D intake for the next few months!

I'm on 3 payg and I'm without signal. I'm not sure if you'll get roaming with billpay but otherwise you can buy a local sim card for a company like Personal and you can load some credit and exchange it for unlimited internet packages that lasts 7/30 days for 16/50 bucks in local currency

• Advertisement

lulzordan wrote: »
    I'm on 3 payg and I'm without signal. I'm not sure if you'll get roaming with billpay but otherwise you can buy a local sim card for a company like Personal and you can load some credit and exchange it for unlimited internet packages that lasts 7/30 days for 16/50 bucks in local currency

7 days unlimited data for 16 euro?

Advertisement