Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Argentina for £275 Return [Threads Merged]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

I'll be in Argentina from April 13th to April
    29th on my own.

If anyone is interested in doing a tour etc then PM me.

Gracias.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My friend came home with 11000 pesos and the central bank won't exchange it. Anyone want it for a good rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭FatRat

My friend came home with 11000 pesos and the central bank won't exchange it. Anyone want it for a good rate?

Yes please! How can I get in touch?

I'm interested :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

wbt wrote: »
    I tried to book a seat on the flight out but the website won't take my payment. There's an error message asking me to call the call centre, but when I did, I was left on hold for over half an hour. Would it likely be alright to leave it until online check in or will I be stuck with a middle seat?

set your alarm for Flight 1 minus 23 hours assuming its Lufthansa.
    You should be able to pick where you want.
    Also set your preference to window/aisle and you should get what you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

I just got back today and here is my little bits of wisdom re seating on Lufthansa. You will find that Lufthansa checkin opens a lot earlier than the 23 hours posted on the website. At least 3-4 hours earlier using the Lufty app. I paid for seating and on the way down I choose a window seat on the MUC- São Paulo leg. The aircraft is a Airbus A340-600 and I would not recommend you book a window seat. It's very cramped coupled with the in flight entertainment system box also eating into your limited leg room. On the return I originally paid for a window seat but after the journey down I opted for an aisle seat. The aircraft is a Boeing 747-800. Bagged 16H which was just behind business class and which allowed me a full stretch of my legs under the curtain between biz and economy. This was a better seat than most of the Premium Economy seats. The return flight was not full in PE or biz so Lufty were offering upgrades to PE for USD250 (not worth it) and business class for USD776. I stuck with 16H. Flight time was 12 hours 40 mins and wasn't too bad. So to cut a long story short, if 16C or 16H is available on the Boeing 747-800...pay the extra. Please bear in mind that that 16D and 16G don't allow you a full stretch of your legs. Also I noted that the unsold PE seats were taken by economy pax during the flight. The cabin crew policed it for a while turfing people out of these seats but eventually gave up and it was a free for all. In other words...do not waste your moola on these seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭notuslimited

Re the above post...had a fantastic time all in all. I was a solo traveller. Spent an extra day in São Paulo on the way to Buenos Aires due to strike but wasn't so bad. BA is fab and you will have a wonderful time there. On Sunday I headed to El Monumental to see if I could get a ticket for the River Plate V San Lorenzo game. Not having a word of Spanish this was a risky move but paid off in the end. Paid 600 pesos for a 350 pesos face value ticket which turned out to be right behind the goal on the lower tier. This is one of the sections which people are told to avoid due to the hooligans. I didn't know where my seat was when I bought it but I was delighted to have bought a RP hat for 50 pesos before the game. Nobody took any notice of me and while the fans were very passionate, they were well behaved. Plenty of singing and jumping up and down. The mood was helped by RP winning 1-0.

I also managed to squeeze in a trip to Santiago Chile which was also fab. Went to Valparaiso for a day which is a picturesque but unsafe place to visit. Definitely an edge to Valpo particularly around the port and bus station.

In terms of changing money, the hotel I stayed in while in BA was called El Conquistador. The guys behind the counter offered 12 pesos to the dollar and 12.5 for a euro. Changed dollars and euros no problem. The rate on Calle Florida was between 12 and 12.3 to the dollar so the rate at the hotel was good. I picked up this hotel on Ebookers for €46 per night (breakfast included). Well worth it. Also, I would recommend that if you want a nice reasonably priced steak and Malbec, head to Los Remolinos across the street from the El Conquistador hotel. Paid 405 pesos for an incredible meal.

I paid 50 pesos for a private tour of the Recoleta cemetery. The guide works there..an office just to the left when you enter the cemetery. She was very entertaining. Also paid a visit to San Telmo market and the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes...both very enjoyable.

Finally, in terms of transport, I paid for a Remis from the downtown BA airport to my hotel for 170 pesos. The bus with Tienda Leon to the bus station was 55 pesos. When heading to and from Ezeiza airport, I used the Tienda Leon bus priced at 130 pesos for a single or 240 pesos for a return. I also used Radio Taxi's quite a bit around BA and never had any problems. Just make sure the meter is running and try and use 20 pesos bills or lower when paying and call out the value of the note as you are handing over.

You will have a ball...just wish I was heading back.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 up-&-at-dem

I have 600 pesos left over from my trip if anyone is looking for some
    I'm in cork

I have 600 pesos left over from my trip if anyone is looking for some
    I'm in cork

Any chance of you being in Dublin this weekend? :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

For those of you who have gone already, what's the story with boarding passes? I'm due to go soon but I've just checked the email LogiTravel sent initially and it says Boarding Passes: Status: Pending | Date to be sent: 04/05/2015 (which I presume is the 5th of April because I'll be back and all by the time May 4th comes along).

Do I need to worry or is it all done electronically through Lufthansa? I've just logged into Lufthansa and got my Travel Itinerary, is this Travel Itinerary all I need? Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 C2911

The boarding pass is issued when you check in.

Away on Thursday. Quite excited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

I'm heading out next Sunday. Quick question re duty free. Can I buy alcohol/liquids in Germany and take it through Sao Paulo??? Is there a security check in Sao Paulo or just transit?? If its a security check then I guess I can't take liquids in my hand luggage??

I know my dad had to hand over his lovely whiskey in Frankfurt once as he was heading on to Luxembourg and his bags were checked through.

Ohh and if anyone in Dublin has pesos I'll swap some.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭frankeee

Monkeyjoe wrote: »
    I'm heading out next Sunday. Quick question re duty free. Can I buy alcohol/liquids in Germany and take it through Sao Paulo??? Is there a security check in Sao Paulo or just transit?? If its a security check then I guess I can't take liquids in my hand luggage??

I know my dad had to hand over his lovely whiskey in Frankfurt once as he was heading on to Luxembourg and his bags were checked through.

Thanks all.

If you tell them in Duty free that you have a connecting flight they will put it in a clear bag along with your receipt that can only be sealed once. This will allow it through security

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Monkeyjoe wrote: »

Thanks all.

I'm not sure what the rules are for bringing liquids into SA, but your Dad was heading further into the EU, that's where he was got.

I had to hand over a small fortune in cosmetic stuff, and my pal some very good wine, in Madrid coming from Buenos Aires, as we hadn't copped the EU rules. They "offered us the choice" to go out and check in the bags, but the transfer was too tight and we'd arrived late anyway. So into the bin they went.

Sickened we were! Will never make that mistake again.

However judging by your post you're talking about bringing booze on your outbound flights. So you'd need to check the South American version of those liquids rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Monkeyjoe

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'm not sure what the rules are for bringing liquids into SA, but your Dad was heading further into the EU, that's where he was got.

I had to hand over a small fortune in cosmetic stuff, and my pal some very good wine, in Madrid coming from Buenos Aires, as we hadn't copped the EU rules. They "offered us the choice" to go out and check in the bags, but the transfer was too tight and we'd arrived late anyway. So into the bin they went.

Sickened we were! Will never make that mistake again.

However judging by your post you're talking about bringing booze on your outbound flights. So you'd need to check the South American version of those liquids rules.

Yip looking to take whiskeys etc out with me as presents as they are cheap in Germany.

Although we are stopping over in Sao Paulo for 3 hours so might just get it there.

My dad wanted to skip the last leg of the flight to Luxembourg and just drive there with all his Whiskey and Rum! but was refused on the grounds that they would have to go through the hassle of unloading his bags.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Off to enjoy BA tomorrow, thanks to this deal.

W00t!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭islanderre

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Off to enjoy BA tomorrow, thanks to this deal.

W00t!

Me Too!!!!!!

Send a PM if you fancy a pre flight pint!!!!!

I'm on the 17:50Hrs out of Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Lads - looking for some very last minute advice. Leaving tomorrow and have 15 nights there. So far we've booked BA for 4, Iguazu for 2 and are wondering where to go next. El Calafate or Salta / Mendoza. The latter is probably less stressful, whereas El Calafate is more expensive but a once-in-a-lifetime type deal. Should we bite the bullet and hit up El C? If so, any accomodation recommendations would be appreciated.

Anyone flying out Thursday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭stevephoto

Anyone know about changing Passport numbers? My passport expired since the booking...do I need to change or is it just by name...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

christeb wrote: »
    Lads - looking for some very last minute advice. Leaving tomorrow and have 15 nights there. So far we've booked BA for 4, Iguazu for 2 and are wondering where to go next. El Calafate or Salta / Mendoza. The latter is probably less stressful, whereas El Calafate is more expensive but a once-in-a-lifetime type deal. Should we bite the bullet and hit up El C? If so, any accomodation recommendations would be appreciated.

El Calafate is stunning and maybe expensive, altho back end of season. You might have trouble booking on some of the trips as they seem to need notice but theres agencies in town you can just book with that might be ok.

stevephoto wrote: »
    Anyone know about changing Passport numbers? My passport expired since the booking...do I need to change or is it just by name...
    I called them yesterday to do the same thing, just have your passport #, issue and expiry dates ready. In saying that when they sent boarding passes there was no mention of passport #s on there so I don't think it matters...
    C2911 wrote: »
    Anyone flying out Thursday?
    Yeah!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

stevephoto wrote: »

You can change it on the Lufthansa website. I'm not sure it's important though, providing a passport number was optional in the first place, but if you've given one then probably best it's not invalid.

christeb wrote: »

I chose to go to Salta instead of Patagonia as I thought it was probably just too late in the year for it. I'll save it for another trip and combine it with Chile or something. I'll be up in Salta between the 27th and the 2nd May.

I'll need to keep an eye out for some Irish guys on my flight over. I'm Scottish and just registered here because I saw this deal posted on Twitter, but it'd be pretty funny if half the flight was occupied by people who jumped on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Me and a friend flew out on Monday also, we're heading to El Calafate tomorrow. We booked this tour: http://m.viator.com/tour/el-calafate/6-day-tour-of-patagonia-el-calafate-el-chalten-perito-moreno-glacier-and-los-glaciares-national-park/0-3851PAT6DAY/info.htm as it seemed to cover most of the stuff we wanted to see. We probably could have booked all the stuff ourselves and saved some money but we didn't want to worry about the hassle especially with trying to book places out of season. Just another option if anyone was thinking of going to El Calafate.

The wife and I will be in the Gate Clock beside the Gate in 10 if anyone fancies a beverage!

I will be back from Argentina on April 30th and will have some Pesos left over if anyone is looking for some. (Dublin or Clare area)

PM me.

Just arrived this morning with no major problems. An hour and 10 mins in Frankfurt was more than enough and I arranged for an airport pick up at EZE so I got in to the city easy enough.

I can't get over the size of the place. And my Spanish (Castellano) is almost non existant so I'm struggling a bit in that sense. Exhausted but looking forward to the next couple of weeks.

If anyone else is like me and fancies a travel buddy in the next couple of days (and doesn't mind hanging out with the Scottish guy who sticks out like a sore thumb) just give me a shout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

I'm heading over in July and was wondering if anyone here who'll already have been at that stage and has purchased a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide to Argentina that they'd be happy to sell/donate, could you please PM me? Cheers.

Advertisement