Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

It's the main competitor and the current bench-mark that DC needs to reach. Why would you not discuss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Honestly, I don't even think there should be separate threads for Marvel & DC: seems a bit pointless?

In any case, here's a laugh: I don't totally subscribe to the notion that DC mightn't have the best or most switched-on policy towards their film & TV projects, but interviews like the below do persuade me a little:

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/warner-bros-chief-dismisses-superhero-fatigue-everything-looks-different-1201446314/
    "The worlds of DC are very different," he said. "They're steeped in realism, and they're a little bit edgier than Marvel's movies."

Bizarre stuff, and does make one think DC truly are mistaking their joyless tone & desaturated palette for 'realism'. You'd also think with the massive success of hitherto unknown quantities like Guadians of the Galaxy, the CEO wouldn't come out with remarks like :
    "The big franchises are becoming more and more valuable," said Tsujihara. "You don’t have to explain to the consumer what a 'Batman v Superman' is."

Seems like a belligerent policy on their part to do all they can to separate themselves from Marvel's approach, despite how successful it has been. Explains a lot though about why stuff like Arrow is a humourless slog.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I find it funny that DC are so attached to the realism tag. Frank Miller and Nolan nailed it with Batman in the comics and films but that's as far as it goes. Batman fighting gangsters, an anarchist or a mercenary have one foot in reality but how do they maintain that when he is teaming with a god, a she god, a guy with an alien ring, and the fish whisperer? Even when you look at the source material there is little realism beyond certain Batman storylines, the multiverse? The green lanterns weaknesses being yellow, and wood? etc, etc.

Painting themselves into a corner TBH. It's comic book stuff like, not War and Peace.
    It can be fantastical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I find it funny that DC are so attached to the realism tag. Frank Miller and Nolan nailed it with Batman in the comics and films but that's as far as it goes. Batman fighting gangsters, an anarchist or a mercenary have one foot in reality but how do they maintain that when he is teaming with a god, a she god, a guy with an alien ring, and the fish whisperer? Even when you look at the source material there is little realism beyond certain Batman storylines, the multiverse? The green lanterns weaknesses being yellow, and wood? etc, etc.

Well that's the challenge they've set themselves, whether they can make it work is another question. WB need to be careful as they seemingly want it both ways; they were happy to let go of the Nolan films to allow a more fantastical element, yet they also want to maintain that edge of realism.

It's a very hard combination to master so they shouldn't have backed themselves into this corner.

I honestly don't think these suits at WB are articulating what they mean very well. I think what they're going for is a more character driven universe while decamping so to speak certain mythologies to make them more alien in nature than fantastical (like what they did with Krypton in MOS which, funnily enough, was one of the more interesting aspects of the film for me).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"The worlds of DC are very different," he said. "They're steeped in realism, and they're a little bit edgier than Marvel's movies."

That's my biggest fear about DC's films tbh. Going for realism and being edgy.

Guardians of the Galaxy had a talking raccoon and a tree and it was one of the most enjoyable superhero movies to date.

Like Turdyturd said, you can't have that much realism when some of your main characters are Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern and Aquaman. Marvel accepts the lack of realism in their characters and pretty much just ignores it, instead focusing on making the films fun and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

If they could bring half of what they put into the animated movies to live action film they will do well. My big fear is that the DC stuff on the whole is a whole lot more edgy if there is such a word. Their villians are brilliant when you compare that to Marvel, but I cant see the movie going public putting up with films are taxing emotionally, when you compare the movies to the upbeat Marvel offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Lithium93_ wrote:
    Joel Kinnaman officially confirms his role in Suicide Squad

Isn't Flag the leader? Bit of a gamble on DC's part, personally I think he's a good actor but that's judged purely on a couple of the episodes of The Killing I've seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

cronin_j wrote: »
    If they could bring half of what they put into the animated movies to live action film they will do well. My big fear is that the DC stuff on the whole is a whole lot more edgy if there is such a word. Their villians are brilliant when you compare that to Marvel, but I cant see the movie going public putting up with films are taxing emotionally, when you compare the movies to the upbeat Marvel offerings.

I think this is now a thing of the past. The DC animated universe now seems to be trending towards taking its cues directly from stories adapted from Geoff Johns's work which, for my money, is mostly a pile of shite. As such, the latest two films "Justice League: War" and "Justice League: Throne of Atlantis," have been fcuking awful... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Isn't Flag the leader? Bit of a gamble on DC's part, personally I think he's a good actor but that's judged purely on a couple of the episodes of The Killing I've seen.
    In the animated movie which it sounds like they could be cribbing from, deadshot was far more the leader of the squad.

Assault on Arkham is the movie in taking about, set in the computer game universe. The cast, and talk of joker in prison/Arkham is familiar to that.

I think this is now a thing of the past. The DC animated universe now seems to be trending towards taking its cues directly from stories adapted from Geoff Johns's work which, for my money, is mostly a pile of shite. As such, the latest two films "Justice League: War" and "Justice League: Throne of Atlantis," have been fcuking awful... :(

Johns seems to be the DC equivalent of Bendis, did a good job on one character (GL) and got handed the keys to the kingdom and it's all been underwhelming.

I do think DC have or at least had the edge with the animated stuff though. Marvel did well with Planet Hulk and first Ultimates dvd but seemed to give up after that. There is so much potential there.

wasn't a fan of Throne of Atlantis - but I really enjoyed 'War', thought it was one of the better ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Tefral

"Justice League: Throne of Atlantis," have been fcuking awful... :(

Ya ill give you that one alright.. was pretty shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Last good one I watched was the flashpoint paradox. The latest two have been pretty crap so far.

Johns seems to be the DC equivalent of Bendis, did a good job on one character (GL) and got handed the keys to the kingdom and it's all been underwhelming.

I do think DC have or at least had the edge with the animated stuff though. Marvel did well with Planet Hulk and first Ultimates dvd but seemed to give up after that. There is so much potential there.

They defo still have the edge but I can see a sharp decline alright...
    wasn't a fan of Throne of Atlantis - but I really enjoyed 'War', thought it was one of the better ones.

War wasn't the worst but doesn't hold up against Doom, for example.
    Tazzimus wrote: »
    Last good one I watched was the flashpoint paradox. The latest two have been pretty crap so far.

I also enjoyed this, and the comics it was based on which, contrary to my point, was actually written by Johns!! Exception that proves the rule?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Also saw this supergirl article today (some former glee girl supposedly)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/first-photos-of-melissa-benoist-in-full-supergirl-costume-revealed

Not a patch on the original, who I had a major thing for at the time :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Rumor: Chris Pine Wanted for ‘Green Lantern’

http://www.slashfilm.com/green-lantern-chris-pine-rumor/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,022 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rumor: Chris Pine Wanted for ‘Green Lantern’

http://www.slashfilm.com/green-lantern-chris-pine-rumor/

I could see Pine as Hal

• Registered Users Posts: 60,285 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fan made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

DC are running a massive meta thing this summer called "Convergence" for those into the comics etc.

I've finally being able to get into reading comics, thanks to the recent 52 reboot. That is all going on hold for two months for this series.

I've got through a fair amount of the new 52, and some other alternate stories about the Justice league, and have to say, the stories and possibilities are FAR superior then to that of Marvel, and I'm utterly shocked a Justice League movie concept hasn't come to the front quicker then it has.

Watched Batman vs RObin the other day - brilliant. Great storyline, brilliantly told imo. Up there with Flashpoint Paradox as my favourite DC Animated movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Watched Batman vs RObin the other day - brilliant. Great storyline, brilliantly told imo. Up there with Flashpoint Paradox as my favourite DC Animated movie.

For a minute I thought you were talking about Barman AND Robin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

FunLover18 wrote: »
    For a minute I thought you were talking about Barman AND Robin

Pull up a stool.... Did I ever tell about that time.......

Only caught Batman vs Robin myself by chance and really enjoyed it. Found it strange that they didn't promote it as the Court of Owls, but I am guessing they are going for a Batman/Robin trilogy with the 3rd one being based around the
    Death of Robin
    storyline. Only complaint with it would be that they have either abandoned or messed up capturing the style of the artist who drew the comic.

Only caught Batman vs Robin myself by chance and really enjoyed it. Found it strange that they didn't promote it as the Court of Owls, but I am guessing they are going for a Batman/Robin trilogy with the 3rd one being based around the
    Death of Robin
    storyline. Only complaint with it would be that they have either abandoned or messed up capturing the style of the artist who drew the comic.

I'd say they're trying to keep it similar to the Justice League look.

It was decent but nearly as fun as the older movies and nowhere near the quality of The Court of Owls. I also just don't like *any* of the voice actors in the new slate of DC films except Sean Astin as Shazam and Nathan Fillion as Green Lantern. Everyone else just catches me wrong.

I thought it may have been because different artists had done the different storylines and they wanted a consistent look for the movies. Will be a shame if they are going for a uniform look. It was one of the highlights for me, and there's so many possibilities that I'd love to see, Jim Lee style Hush, Tim Sale style Long Halloween.

Well they've said that the movies from Justice League: War onwards will all be part of the same canon so I reckon they're keeping it uniform. I agree with you; that's a disappointment. For many reasons: I'm not fan of their take on Batman's look at all. If they'd gone with Greg Capullo's look, I'd be much happier and it'd be in keeping with the New52. I also don't like the New52 Superman costume- the collar, sleeves and lack of underpants.

The best thing I can say for Batman vs Robin is at least they chose to adapt a good story and not go with yet another Geoff Johns turd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Must give Batman V Robin a watch. Anyone seen the trailer for the new justice league movie? Looks.. Interesting...

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Must give Batman V Robin a watch. Anyone seen the trailer for the new justice league movie? Looks.. Interesting...
    Just watched it there - looks rubbish from the trailer, imo, but I'll still give it a watch.

Advertisement