Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

DC cinematic universe general stuff

245678

Comments

  • #2


    Cork_exile wrote: »
    Remember that attitude would have had Star Trek TNG cancelled immediately.
    It takes time for some shows to find their feet and AoS is pretty much required viewing at this stage

    I will give any science fiction show a season to find its feet but honestly the first episodes of Agents of Shield were 90s Power Rangers bad.


  • #2


    Darko wrote: »
    I will give any science fiction show a season to find its feet but honestly the first episodes of Agents of Shield were 90s Power Rangers bad.

    You are totally right but you owe it to yourself to push through to at least the tie in with Captain America 2


  • #2


    Darko wrote: »
    I will give any science fiction show a season to find its feet but honestly the first episodes of Agents of Shield were 90s Power Rangers bad.

    As someone who utterly hated the first half of Agents of SHIELD, and had no problem raging on it within its own thread, I can hand on heart say that once the Captain America 2 tie-in kicks off, the show pretty much gets rebooted into a much superior form.

    Don't get me wrong, there are still faults and even in season 2 the writing demonstrates it's not yet grown out of cliché with its characters, but it's a genuinely enjoyable, thrilling show with legitimate stakes and threats now.


  • #2


    bringing it back to DC, Agents habe become a huge part of that universe and is setting up movie plots years out.
    Feel like DC is missing a beat on that


  • #2


    Will The Joker be teased/introduced via a post credits scene after Dawn Of Justice to set up the Suicide Squad film.


  • #2


    Problem with DC is that they always went out of their way to market Batman and Superman so heavily, that they forgot to market any of their other characters in anything other than a half-hearted way. Marvel on the other sewn the seeds of promoting a wide range of their characters through many forms of media a long time ago and and it's now paying dividends. Before all these comic film universes, we all knew the X-men and Wolverine, Spider-man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Fantastic 4, several of the Avengers etc. The general public is far more familiar with their character roster than DC's, so it's far easier to sell the films. DC are gonna have a massive uphill battler trying to sell the likes of Aquaman, Shazam and even the Wonder Woman film to the public and then pull in the figures anywhere close to what Marvel is making


  • #2


    Problem with DC is that they always went out of their way to market Batman and Superman so heavily, that they forgot to market any of their other characters in anything other than a half-hearted way. Marvel on the other sewn the seeds of promoting a wide range of their characters through many forms of media a long time ago and and it's now paying dividends. Before all these comic film universes, we all knew the X-men and Wolverine, Spider-man, the Hulk, Daredevil, the Fantastic 4, several of the Avengers etc. The general public is far more familiar with their character roster than DC's, so it's far easier to sell the films. DC are gonna have a massive uphill battler trying to sell the likes of Aquaman, Shazam and even the Wonder Woman film to the public and then pull in the figures anywhere close to what Marvel is making

    it´s true... I´m no comic expert, but i´d be handy in a comic book pub quiz and I have no idea who this Shazam character is... even watching The Arrow, I had no idea who have these characters are, unless they were attached to batman comics in some way..


  • #2


    Darko wrote: »
    I will give any science fiction show a season to find its feet but honestly the first episodes of Agents of Shield were 90s Power Rangers bad.

    Power Rangers was fun though. AoS on the other hand was just a collection of the Marvel films' weaknesses.


  • #2


    it´s true... I´m no comic expert, but i´d be handy in a comic book pub quiz and I have no idea who this Shazam character is... even watching The Arrow, I had no idea who have these characters are, unless they were attached to batman comics in some way..

    You might know him as Captain Marvel? As the character has been know for most of his run.


  • #2


    When people think of Captain Marvel though , They'll think of the Marvel Version, I wouldn't agree that no one knows any DC characters outside of Superman and Batman though

    When i was a youngfella before i got into comics i had definitley heard of Wonder Woman , Flash and Green Lantern possibly Aqua Man too, But thats it I just find the deeper you delve into the DC universe you go the more silly and corny some of the characters are, How are DC ever going to get the likes of Plastic Man , Mr Terrific and other sillyish characters going in the future


  • #2


    When people think of Captain Marvel though , They'll think of the Marvel Version, I wouldn't agree that no one knows any DC characters outside of Superman and Batman though

    I don't even know what the Marvel version looks like.


  • #2


    How are DC ever going to get the likes of Plastic Man , Mr Terrific and other sillyish characters going in the future

    I doubt they'll try, to be fair Marvel has it's fair share of ridiculous characters too!


  • #2


    maximoose wrote: »
    I doubt they'll try, to be fair Marvel has it's fair share of ridiculous characters too!

    1660088-193131_186914_doctor_bong_super.jpeg


  • #2


    Dc have a great collection of recognisable villains , more so then marvel so that's where they might excell, granted most of the recognisable villains are batman ones but they have a advantage in that department


  • #2


    Sirsok wrote: »
    Dc have a great collection of recognisable villains , more so then marvel so that's where they might excell, granted most of the recognisable villains are batman ones but they have a advantage in that department

    They do have a great collection alright, but I wouldn't necessarily say they have better or more recognisable villains than Marvel, bar the Joker, as Spider-man by himself has a massive collection of recognisable villains. I used to remember watching the Batman cartoons during the mornings when I was a kid and used to think they repeated the same villains alot, as if they were struggling once you got outside the Joker, Penguin, Bane, Scarecrow and one or two others. Poisn Ivy maybe, Ra's-al-ghul and Mr. Freeze who I know from the films? Oh and Harley Quinn who was always in the cartoons. Is there a Batman villain named Crocodile too? Thinks that's it really. With Spider-man you had Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Carnage, Lizard, Electro, Sandman, Hobgoblin, Kraven, Vulture, Scorpian, Shocker, Kingpin, Mysterio, Rhino and a few more I could name off the top of my head. I'm not sure if they are all recognisable and I'm not a huge fan of either character, but I can recall far more Spider-man villains than I ever could with Batman. For me it just seems with DC, they seem content to trot out the same popular characters again and again, whereas Marvel didn't, and now have far greater variety to work with because of it


  • #2


    They do have a great collection alright, but I wouldn't necessarily say they have better or more recognisable villains than Marvel, bar the Joker, as Spider-man by himself has a massive collection of recognisable villains. I used to remember watching the Batman cartoons during the mornings when I was a kid and used to think they repeated the same villains alot, as if they were struggling once you go outside the Joker, Penguin, Bane, Scarecrow and one or two others. With Spider-man you had Green Goblin, Doc Ock, Venom, Carnage, Lizard, Electro, Sandman, Hobgoblin, Kraven, Vulture, Scorpian, Shocker, Kingpin, Mysterio, Rhino and a few more I could name off the top of my head. I'm not sure if they are all recognisable and I'm not a huge fan of either character, but I can recall far more Spider-man villains than I ever could with Batman. For me it just seems with DC, they seem content to trot out the same popular characters again and again, whereas Marvel didn't, and now have far greater variety to work with because of it

    Selective memory at work... Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Riddler, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Two-Face.

    Batman has plenty of fantastic villains and it is most definitely the trump card that DC have over Marvel - particularly so when you consider there has only been one villain of interest in the MCU so far - Loki.


  • #2


    You edited your post as I posted my reply. You're still being unfair to the quality of villains that are available to DC, and they're just the Batman ones... though TBH, I don't know much about the villains for Aquaman, Wonder Woman or the other DC heroes.


  • #2


    Bacchus wrote: »
    Selective memory at work... Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Riddler, Clayface, Mr. Freeze, Two-Face.

    Batman has plenty of fantastic villains and it is most definitely the trump card that DC have over Marvel - particularly so when you consider there has only been one villain of interest in the MCU so far - Loki.

    Ye forgot about a few of those. Maybe he does trump Spider-man in that department, but just about


  • #2


    Bacchus wrote: »
    You edited your post as I posted my reply. You're still being unfair to the quality of villains that are available to DC, and they're just the Batman ones... though TBH, I don't know much about the villains for Aquaman, Wonder Woman or the other DC heroes.

    Ye sorry, edited when a few more came to me. Only saw your post after


  • #2


    collection of recognisable villains. I used to remember watching the Batman cartoons during the mornings when I was a kid and used to think they repeated the same villains alot...

    Batman The Animated Series?

    That had around 16 recurring main villains and a further (nearly 20) minor villains that had anything from 1 to numerous appearances.

    And that list grows when you include The New Batman Adventures or Gotham Knights....

    Granted The Joker was the main recurring villain, but since it was Mark Hamill and nearly every episode with him was great, I'm not complaining.

    I couldn't even watch that 1994 Spider man animated series, it was so inferior compared to Batman,


  • #2


    Can't remember which cartoon Batman series it was. Just so many Batman cartoons out around that period. Can't wait to see Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn though. Will be smokin' hot


  • #2


    Ye forgot about a few of those. Maybe he does trump Spider-man in that department, but just about

    Going by the number of recognizable villains, it is close alright. However, in terms of quality, Batman probably has the best catalog of villains of any hero.

    Most of Spidermans villains are simply some science experiment gone wrong resulting in either
    a) the person going mad
    b) a good person forced into a situation where they do bad things

    With Batman, you could reduce it down to a bunch of crazy psychos but I think there is much more diversity in the motives, origins, character traits & personalities across the Batman villains.

    I suppose to get back on point, Marvel have nailed their heroes in a way that DC have struggled to do but if they can churn out some memorable villains (in the way they did with the Joker, Bane & Two-Face in Nolan's movies) they could find their edge there.


  • #2


    Bacchus wrote: »
    Going by the number of recognizable villains, it is close alright. However, in terms of quality, Batman probably has the best catalog of villains of any hero.

    Most of Spidermans villains are simply some science experiment gone wrong resulting in either
    a) the person going mad
    b) a good person forced into a situation where they do bad things

    With Batman, you could reduce it down to a bunch of crazy psychos but I think there is much more diversity in the motives, origins, character traits & personalities across the Batman villains.

    I suppose to get back on point, Marvel have nailed their heroes in a way that DC have struggled to do but if they can churn out some memorable villains (in the way they did with the Joker, Bane & Two-Face in Nolan's movies) they could find their edge there.

    Zod was fairly forgettable in MoS and do we even know who the actual villain in BVS is yet, I mean I know Lex Luthor is going to feature but will he be an out and out villain or will he just be an Iago type figure pulling strings in the background and looking menacing?

    Also as mentioned all their best villains are either from Batman or Superman so the villain card won't be much use when it comes to marketing Aquaman and Wonder Woman.


  • #2


    FunLover18 wrote: »
    Zod was fairly forgettable in MoS and do we even know who the actual villain in BVS is yet, I mean I know Lex Luthor is going to feature but will he be an out and out villain or will he just be an Iago type figure pulling strings in the background and looking menacing?

    Also as mentioned all their best villains are either from Batman or Superman so the villain card won't be much use when it comes to marketing Aquaman and Wonder Woman.

    I thought Zod and his two cronies were pretty good in MoS. One of the better aspects of that movie but nothing stellar.

    Like I said, it's up to DC to get the execution right but the characters are there for them to make some fantastic cinema villains.

    I'll be really interested to see how they handle Luthor. You have to think that getting that character 100% right is a must for the future of the movie universe (at least as far as Superman is concerned).


  • #2


    Bacchus wrote: »
    Going by the number of recognizable villains, it is close alright. However, in terms of quality, Batman probably has the best catalog of villains of any hero.

    Most of Spidermans villains are simply some science experiment gone wrong resulting in either
    a) the person going mad
    b) a good person forced into a situation where they do bad things

    With Batman, you could reduce it down to a bunch of crazy psychos but I think there is much more diversity in the motives, origins, character traits & personalities across the Batman villains.

    I suppose to get back on point, Marvel have nailed their heroes in a way that DC have struggled to do but if they can churn out some memorable villains (in the way they did with the Joker, Bane & Two-Face in Nolan's movies) they could find their edge there.

    Ye there's a bit more depth and character development with Batman villains alright. Spidey's tend to be quite generic. I was always quite fond of Venom though. Thought the concept of symbiotes was always quite cool and interesting, until they diluted it. Amazing that in the mid 90's, Venom nearly rivalled Spider-man in terms of popularity, so they had to stop using him as he was beginning to suffer from over-exposure.

    Back to your point, I suppose that's the idea with the Suicide Squad concept. Is Joker actually gonna be in it though? It will be interesting to see how that one pans out, and if it's successful will they expand on it. In Avengers, they seem to just fight an army of useless pawns led by one person, so it would be cool if DC actually faced two teams off against one another, those being the Justice League v the Suicide Squad


  • #2


    Venom defo is one of the better Spiderman villains. I quite like Doc Oc too but after that they descend into a blur of same-same villains.


  • #2


    I like the idea of venom more as an anti hero than straight up villain.


  • #2


    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I like the idea of venom more as an anti hero than straight up villain.

    Definitely, the 3 way face offs between him Carnage, and Spider-man are some of his best stories. Some serious dismissing of Spider-man's villains going on in here.


  • #2


    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Definitely, the 3 way face offs between him Carnage, and Spider-man are some of his best stories. Some serious dismissing of Spider-man's villains going on in here.

    Yeah, I always enjoyed himself and spidey having to grudgingly work together to take down Carnage. I remember reading some of Venom's series, think it was called Lethal Protector and himself and Punisher working together too. Would be a shame if they just make him an out and out villain if they decide to put him in a movie again.


  • #2


    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah, I always enjoyed himself and spidey having to grudgingly work together to take down Carnage. I remember reading some of Venom's series, think it was called Lethal Protector and himself and Punisher working together too. Would be a shame if they just make him an out and out villain if they decide to put him in a movie again.

    They need to get it back on Brock though...the current version doesn't work for me.


Sign In or Register to comment.