Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DC cinematic universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I think the flop that was Live By Night forced their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Get Tarintino to do it :)

I think the flop that was Live By Night forced their hand.

Yet they allow Snyder free rein? Not buying that.

Smacks of WB/DC rushing again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think Affleck just decided he doesn’t want his directing career along with his acting career marred by these movies. He's been indicating for a while that this film was not a sure thing and that he wanted to make a film on par with Nolan’s trilogy. One only has to look at the Snyder films to see that WB doesn’t feel the same way. If JL is another mess the studio will be ultra hands-on with Batman. He’d be mad to stick around in a directing capacity for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭eldest200

Matt Reeves is rumorred to direct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

I think he is distancing himself as much as he can from this film, and to be honest if WB do rush it Then it will be a mess,

I would not be surprised if walks away altogether at a later stage....Seems like he has had enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

How are WB messing this up so much....
    they will end up with Kevin Smith directing it, and it will be Bats and Supes smoking weed outside a supermarket....

and I dont think Chris Nolan would touch this DC franchise....his Batman Movies couldn't be further away from what DC are releasing now!! 
    JL was poor and affleck was the only good thing in that movie, the fact he is walking away from the helm means he is not going to make the movie he wants to make, instead he is going to have to act in a very rushed project that is going to get slated again by everybody

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Fox Hound wrote: »
    and I dont think Chris Nolan would touch this DC franchise....his Batman Movies couldn't be further away from what DC are releasing now!! 
    JL was poor and affleck was the only good thing in that movie, the fact he is walking away from the helm means he is not going to make the movie he wants to make, instead he is going to have to act in a very rushed project that is going to get slated again by everybody

Fancy giving me a loan of that time machine of yours? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

they will end up with Kevin Smith directing it, and it will be Bats and Supes smoking weed outside a supermarket....

I would pay to see that

• Advertisement

Fox Hound wrote: »

Fancy giving me a loan of that time machine of yours? :pac:
    Here is the thread link...you find my Time Machine in here :-) https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057689929

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

You joke, but Kevin Smith knows his comics.

Directed 1 Supergirl (and asked back for another) episode.
    Directed 2 (or 3?) Flash episodes.
    Knows and loves Batman insideout.

There's worse that could direct it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

You joke, but Kevin Smith knows his comics.

Directed 1 Supergirl (and asked back for another) episode.
    Directed 2 (or 3?) Flash episodes.
    Knows and loves Batman insideout.

There's worse that could direct it.

wouldnt do a bad job if someone else wrote it.

hes also friends with affleck which i think would help the film as i get the feeling he doesnt trust WB to get the job done.

Kevin Smith knows his shít about all things DC, and is Batman-mad himself.

His story about getting hired to write a draft for the failed late-90s Superman movie is very entertaining. It also gives you a good glimpse of the shít and meddling that goes on behind the studio curtain...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

I couldn't see a standalone thread for The Batman so just posting this here;
    The Batman Director Tosses Affleck's Script, Starting from Scratch

The Batman director Matt Reeves has revealed that he has decided to start from scratch on the project, leaving Ben Affleck's original script behind. A lot of changes have been happening behind the scenes on The Batman, and while at first the changes may have been seen as detrimental, it now appears that the movie is finally on the right track. Reeves has been out promoting his latest movie, the excellent War for the Planet of the Apes over the last few weeks and he's been talking a lot about his involvement in The Batman and his vision for the Dark Knight.

Reeves was recently on MTV's Happy Sad Confused podcast where he revealed his plans to start fresh for The Batman. The director was asked if he would be working off of Affleck's original script and he said that he would not. Reeves explains.

"No. It's a new story. It's just starting again. I'm excited about it. I think it's going to be really cool."
    Not much information has ever been revealed about the original script other than Ben Affleck, Chris Terrio, and Geoff Johns wrote it, and that Affleck wanted to use a villain that had not been seen on the big screen before.

Reeves has been drawing comparisons between War for the Planet of the Apes' Caesar and Bruce Wayne, calling them both "damaged characters who are grappling to do the right thing in a very imperfect world. A world that is filled with all of the corruption that is human." The director has also taken time to praise Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy for bringing a seriousness and maturity to the comic book movie genre, something that he his obviously hoping to do with his version of the Caped Crusader.

The director has also talked about combining Nolan's sense of "something more" with a look into the character that has not been seen yet. Citing Hitchcock as an influence, Reeves appears to want to give fans a peak into the psyche of Batman, what it's like in his head, which has gotten many fans excited. This has also lead to speculation that we might get to see the return of Batman's detective roots, a skill that has been relatively ignored on the big screen aside from the Wayne Tech toys that seem to do all of the work for him.

Matt Reeves latest reveal about The Batman may have just thrown all of the former speculation out the window, especially when it comes to choosing a villain. As stated before, Affleck wanted a villain that hadn't been represented on the big screen yet. Deathstroke seemed to be the choice at the time, but it is unclear where the villain role will go at this time. Though Josh Gad has been seen around the DC offices, even posing for a picture holding a copy of a comic book with the Penguin on the cover. Will Penguin be the main villain? We'll just have to sit back and wait. In the meantime, Ben Affleck will be appearing at the San Diego Comic-Con next week for the Warner Bros. panel on Justice League another movie that has seen a bit of behind the scenes changes.

Link

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The standalone Batman thread is here if anyone is looking for it:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102481810

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gavin O'Connor to direct Suicide Squad 2.

Good choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slade Wilson / Deathstroke movie
    It's looking more and more likely that Deathstroke will be the next DC hero getting their own solo movie.

Momentum continues to build following reports this week that DC Films and Warner Bros were in talks to sign both True Blood star Joe Manganiello and The Raid director Gareth Evans for a movie based around mercenary-turned-antihero Slade Wilson

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/batman/news/a841674/deathstroke-solo-movie-joe-manganiello-helmet-photo/

Black Adam with The Rock will feature The Justice Society

• Advertisement

Zack Snyder says Carla Gugino was his choice to play Catwoman

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Hollywood is getting fierce racist these days, no Asian, Hispanic or White directors need apply :pac: . Seems like people were looking forward to a Black Superman film but race bending Clark Kent is going to split the fanbase.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1391543762011271168

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Really hope it's the multiverse arc and they include Captain Carrot too

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Why can't they just pick one of the black Supes from the comics, instead of race bending Kal-El?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the story is going to emphasise an African American perspective within what is already the biggest Immigrant Tale in comic-books, then there's nothing wrong with sounding out for a black director who might better understand, empathise or project those story beats in a smarter fashion. I wouldn't call that racist, more common sense. Part of the reason Black Panther wasn't an unholy mess was because the director was a black American (now, I've my own personal wondering if actual Africans found it a bit racist but that's another segue)

It's not without reason the most cringe-inducing - or crudely reductionist - "Racism is bad" films tend to be those helmed by White Americans (Crash; Green Book; Driving Miss Daisy; The Other Side, the list goes on); there's an absence of perspective or nuance that often comes across as what's snarked as "white saviour". It's not instantly negated or eliminated by the presence of a black director - but it sure helps. And that's not to dump on those directors either; if cinema is an empathic medium then its to films benefit if the ideas are a little more authentic.

Race bending Kal-El is fine; I mean ideally, DC would just adapt Superman as-is. No twists, alternative takes or whatever. But I guarantee the Richard Donner film is basically seen as holy writ; while conversely, Superman Returns was seen as proof you can't just do a "simple" Supes flm anymore.

Yes, there'll be outrage and many angry Tweets. Maybe even some performative outbursts from Fox News types. Dog bites man.

This smacks of WB doing damage mitigation, from Ray Fisher. Particularly how well Cyborg was viewed post Snyder cut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I want to chime in a few points here regarding a Black Superman movie

The people who seemingly know that allowances cannot be made for separate versions of Superman out there in the comic book world clearly don't know what they are talking about Re: creating a black Superman for the big screen. It doesn't have to be one version of the character that has to be the most superior one to the other when you talk about these characters. These characters made for other universes can be allowed to be flexible to entice their fans to see them on the big screen.

A black Superman is one thing to consider for a big screen movie. A Superman movie being produced with a Russian accent, like Superman: Red Son, would be quite another. Could you imagine the reaction from all of the racists on boards & elsewhere if a live action version of that film was made for the cinema. They could describe a Russian Superman film as being the most greatest version of Superman in this comic book universe since the sliced pan was invented. DC can be allowed to develop these ideas, for both their own superheroes & supervillains, under their Multiverse strategy for the big screen.

This is why this current strategy by DC in setting up a multiverse on the big screen is a huge benefit for WB. When they committed themselves to producing with these films; they can never run out of ideas when they try to make & produce a movie as a way of expanding their studio's & creator's film-making reputation. They can have the ability to create the biggest potential in making big hits at the box office if they continue on with this trend which has already happened with Joker. Just look at the critical success of that film from people who had watched that film all around the world. It basically netted an leading actor academy award win for Joaquin Phoenix only a few years ago. But more of that success needs to be done if WB need to continue with it immediately to keep their fans happy & in sync with their world.

All I'm saying that this multiverse has many multiple ways creating the biggest potential that is possible for their characters.

DC has defintely earned their right to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Why can't they just pick one of the black Supes from the comics, instead of race bending Kal-El?
    You mean Kalel? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Russian Superman would be an elseworlds story not set in or on our Earth there are a lot of them out there one such is The Crime Syndicate of Amerika where Clark is found by Lionel Luther (Lex's dad) he is raised to be Clark Luthor also known as Ultraman

Superman Red Son is a very good story with Clark landing on a battery farm in the Ukraine during the Cold War era he grows up under the care of Stalin becoming the Russian Superman while Lex Luthor is the American scientific expert and later President fighting the unwinnable fight against a Clark that has become the Russian leader and has taken over most of the world as he is an unstoppable instrument of communism. It is one of the most bizarre Superman stories and is eye opening to the actual story of Superman who he is and how the earths rotation being different at the point Clark is sent to earth means rather than Kansas its the Soviet Union where his rocket lands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Bad Boys for Life directors Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah will direct Batgirl.

Advertisement