Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Couples.

Options

Comments

It's not a balanced debate and there's an over saturation of one sides viewpoint.It's sickening.

I can not imagine voting on ANY issue for this reason myself. Even if one side of a debate is skewed over the other - I will vote for the side that clearly has the best arguments and position. Using my vote as a protest example against how someone conducted their campaign is just alien to me. I vote on the ISSUE. And nothing else.

Not slighting you at all - I just have to admit I am intellectually unable to get into your head space is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pedro Gonzalez

Btrippn wrote: »
    Great protest, I hope your gay and lesbian friends support your views. The whole point of this referendum is to restore balance.
    I don't care if they do or don't.
    The same way as your opinion is worthless to me.
    I'll vote no and have no problem doing so.
    Hopefully the next referendum will have balance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Btrippn

You're ticking a couple of boxes for me as well.
    Condescending ~yes
    Insulting~yes

Roll on May

Fabulous ~yes

Roll on May

I can not imagine voting on ANY issue for this reason myself. Even if one side of a debate is skewed over the other - I will vote for the side that clearly has the best arguments and position. Using my vote as a protest example against how someone conducted their campaign is just alien to me. I vote on the ISSUE. And nothing else.

Not slighting you at all - I just have to admit I am intellectually unable to get into your head space is all.
    That's fine and good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

As a member of this "public forum" my opinion is just as entitled to be aired as yours is.I presume you comprehend that?
    Speaking of current affairs,it's interesting to note that there's little to no coverage of an opposing viewpoint on this topic.
    The reason why that is,I'd imagine,is that if someone does voice their opposition,they are immediately branded as homophobic and all types of vitriol is spewed at them.The party machine kicks in and the hounds of hell are unleashed.

The pro gay marriage lobby are using every single outlet to push their agenda.They are trying to dominate and ram what they believe in down peoples throats.Theres no balance.I don't like it,it's bullying and I take issue with it.

You might think I haven't a grasp of current affairs and don't understand how a public forum works,fair enough.Maybe I don't.
    I can guarantee you one thing though,I know how to tick a box in a poll booth.

This is simply incorrect , both sides have been scrupulously represented equally on all radio and tv programmes and in the press there have been opinion pieces on a regular basis for both sides

Now you consider the 'gay lobby' is bullying ! Forget for a minute that the so called gay lobby were illegal less than 20 years ago, were denounced (and still are) from church pulpits as a matter of routine , vilified in the press and the subject of caricature in TV and film - lets set all that aside .
    I would remind you that there is a referendum on and they are quite entitled to fight their corner as are the opposing side complete with the power of the RCC and their professionals lobbyists ( that seem to have an open door to the airwaves) funded by their anonymous big money American donors which they refuse to disclose.

It is curious the you choice of metaphor is the ''hounds of hell'' which is exactly where lgbt have been told ad nauseum they are going.

I think we all dislike bullying ,so if you really want to stand up for the little guy then you must vote yes .

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    This is simply incorrect , both sides have been scrupulously represented equally on all radio and tv programmes and in the press there have been opinion pieces on a regular basis for both sides

Now you consider the 'gay lobby' is bullying ! Forget for a minute that the so called gay lobby were illegal less than 20 years ago, were denounced (and still are) from church pulpits as a matter of routine , vilified in the press and the subject of caricature in TV and film - lets set all that aside .
    I would remind you that there is a referendum on and they are quite entitled to fight their corner as are the opposing side complete with the power of the RCC and their professionals lobbyists ( that seem to have an open door to the airwaves) funded by their anonymous big money American donors which they refuse to disclose.

It is curious the you choice of metaphor is the ''hounds of hell'' which is exactly where lgbt have been told ad nauseum they are going.

I think we all dislike bullying ,so if you really want to stand up for the little guy then you must vote yes .
    There's no way on earth I'm voting yes.

Anyone with eyes and ears in their head would see this debate is totally and utterly geared towards the yes side.
    The little guy here,my friend,is the person who is uncomfortable with the notion of same sex marriage and is afraid to express their viewpoint because of the rampant hysteria it would create.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No I don't and I've no issue with gay people either,believe it or not.
    But I'm going to vote no as a protest against this campaign.
    It's not a balanced debate and there's an over saturation of one sides viewpoint.It's sickening.

Voting against something simply because you only heard an argument in favour of it is both misguided and discourteous.

In such an instance, abstaining from the vote is the honourable course of action to take, or if you feel strongly enough turn up and spoil your vote.

But the very least you can do is inform yourself of the arguments both for and against the motion before you make your final decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Anyone with eyes and ears in their head would see this debate is totally and utterly geared towards the yes side.
    The little guy here,my friend,is the person who is uncomfortable with the notion of same sex marriage and is afraid to express their viewpoint because of the rampant hysteria it would create.

I'm sure you can provide someone saying something that is based on fact and being attacked for it then?

Unbeliveable.
    I've been told to vote yes for the "little guy"
    To abstain.
    To spoil my vote.

All because I want to vote no (as is my right)

I've outlined my reasons so please respect that.
    The ****n thing is going to get passed anyway so lets cool the jets.

Unbeliveable.
    To abstain.
    To spoil my vote.

You have the right to vote whatever way you want just as people have the right to voice their opinion.

Bit hypocritical to whine about it.

• Advertisement

I'm sure you can provide someone saying something that is based on fact and being attacked for it then?
    You know the score as well as I do,so don't be trying that one.It will only open up another 200 pages of horseshyte

You know the score as well as I do,so don't be trying that one.It will only open up another 200 pages of horseshyte

I know I have yet to see a reason to vote no other than someone is trying to force their religion on others, misinformed about how gay people are going to start fight clubs with children they kidnap or they just don't like gay people.

Of course when questioned the most common response is to pretend we all know instead of actually explaining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The little guy is the RCC, the Iona Institute ,Opus Dei etc and their anonymous American backers ! Are you serious ?

What you are seeing is not a debate geared towards the yes side ( it is prevented from doing that by law) but the grass roots support from all sectors of Irish society getting behind an issue that they see as long overdue .

And the person uncomfortable with the notion of SSM has and easy and obvious solution - don't avail of it .

Was there ever any chance of you voting yes ?

You have the right to vote whatever way you want just as people have the right to voice their opinion.

Bit hypocritical to whine about it.
    Voicing your opinion is one thing,TELLING someone how to vote is another.
    And then you calling me a hypocrite for expressing dismay?

Another fine example.

Unbeliveable.
    To abstain.
    To spoil my vote.

Not because you want to vote No.

But because you readily admit to not hearing anything from the No side, from which it can be assumed, you are uninformed.

In which case, you really can't blame the Yes side for encouraging you to vote Yes. As is their right.

misinformed about how gay people are going to start fight clubs with children they kidnap or they just don't like gay people.
    Are you for real?

The little guy is the RCC, the Iona Institute ,Opus Dei etc and their anonymous American backers ! Are you serious ?

What you are seeing is not a debate geared towards the yes side ( it is prevented from doing that by law) but the grass roots support from all sectors of Irish society getting behind an issue that they see as long overdue .

And the person uncomfortable with the notion of SSM has and easy and obvious solution - don't avail of it .

Was there ever any chance of you voting yes ?
    Indeed there was.Not anymore though.

Lapin wrote: »
    Not because you want to vote No.

But because you readily admit to not hearing anything from the No side, from which it can be assumed, you are uninformed.

In which case, you really can't blame the Yes side for encouraging you to vote Yes. As is their right.
    I never wanted to vote no,but feel compelled to do so.
    Plenty of people have said to me they are not happy with it,have reservations etc.
    Folk on here won't like to hear it, but it's the truth.

I wouldn't take too much notice of the opinion polls either.Very few people are going to openly admit to being against gay marraige when someone stops them on a street and enquires how they are going to vote.
    This is Ireland after all and we don't roll like normal people.

Who are these 'normal people'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Funnily enough, for all of the cases of posters claiming they're voting No because they're being bullied by the Yes side, we've never seen anyone claim that they're voting vice-versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,856 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Lapin wrote: »
    Who are these 'normal people'?

I'm guessing a knuckle-dragging reader of "Nearly Dead!" "Alive!" who complains of "slut propaganda" when a survivor of the Magdalene Laundries is on the radio/TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Why are you letting someone/something else compel you vote against your wishes? If you never wanted to vote no, then vote yes. No-one's going to be standing beside you in the voting booth with a gun to your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Plenty of people have said to me they are not happy with it,have reservations etc.
    Folk on here won't like to hear it, but it's the truth.

Hang on a second Pedro - are you actually saying that you're now going vote no, simply because people have been campaigning for you to vote yes, like you wanted too to begin with?
    That's fúcking retarded!

Hang on a second Pedro - are you actually saying that you're now going vote no, simply because people have been campaigning for you to vote yes, like you wanted too to begin with?
    That's fúcking retarded!
    Reported.

Are you for real?

More avoiding. Nice work neo.

Hardly unexpected, its the usual response from people who don't really understand something and instead pretend they do because they heard someone else say it.

More avoiding. Nice work neo
    As in neo nazi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Ah, a re reg wants us to plead, again.

go on pedro, vote no. If indeed you vote at all, it was always going to be no.

Keep going with the insults/suggestions/bullying,lads.Im sure it will make for fascinating reading for the undecided.

• Advertisement

Ah, a re reg wants us to plead, again.

go on pedro, vote no. If indeed you vote at all, it was always going to be no.
    You're a psychic as well,I see.
    Is there no end to your talents?

Advertisement