Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Couples.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

As they are perfectly entitled and right to do.
    There's a few of them on here that could do with a few days shovelling some flower beds,mixing with the straights and sprucing up their villages.
    They might change their attitudes then when they realise not everyone wants to chuck them into a mincer.

Now who is the drama queen. Obviously its a minority of straight people who have a strong hatred of gays but to act like its not there will only make the problem worse.

Yes, it is, because it allows me to remain objective when someone comes out with ridiculous comments about suicide just to add some measure of validity to their opinion.

If you do have the statistics at hand then tell me which is the most at risk demographic?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

As they are perfectly entitled and right to do.
    There's a few of them on here that could do with a few days shovelling some flower beds,mixing with the straights and sprucing up their villages.
    They might change their attitudes then when they realise not everyone wants to chuck them into a mincer.

I never said that..I know that the vast majority of straight people in Ireland are accepting of gay people. But there are still plenty who make life ****ty for us. And you're acting as if that minority of homophobic scumbags don't exist, like we are just pretending they exist for attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Pedro Gonzalez

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Unfortunately its not a complex but what many gay people suffer everyday. Though you wouldn't care about that.
    Will you just stop with this,please?
    I never in my life said anything hurtful to a gay/lesbian and in fact,the opposite is true.
    I had a right session with a pair of lesbians over in Galway years ago.One of them was fairly hostile at the start but she warmed up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭true567

LDN_Irish wrote: »
    I'm not "butthurt" at all. I find it very amusing that about 1 minute of looking through your posts after clicking the "find all posts" button (I like to think of it as an agenda finder) shows that just under a quarter of your posts are on the subject of homosexuality, and none are on climate change or overpopulation, except of course when you're bringing them up to tell people that that's what they should be worrying about instead of gay rights/pride/whatever. Don't you think that's weird?

If its not my posts, then why are you butthurt??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Rory28 wrote: »
    If you do have the statistics at hand then tell me which is the most at risk demographic?

Why don't you do your own homework and you tell me?

I deal with the people behind the statistics, and they come from all backgrounds and all walks of life. I don't break people down and put labels on them just to push a particular agenda, in this case your agenda being rights solely for a particular group of people soley based on the fact that they are LGBT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

According to recent polls the referendum will easily pass,so I don't understand the almost constant barrage of pro-homo propaganda around,tbh.
    An example is this site-type "gay" into the search bar and you'll get 100,000+ hits.Where as if you put "hetrosexual" into it,you'll get barely 1000.

I've a pain in the hole (pardon the pun) with it and with a bit of luck they'll all ride off into the sunset in a few months when they get hitched.

What impact do these discussions have upon you?

I deal with the people behind the statistics, and they come from all backgrounds and all walks of life. I don't break people down and put labels on them just to push a particular agenda, in this case your agenda being rights solely for a particular group of people soley based on the fact that they are LGBT.

The labels are there to help identify why people are killing themselves. Just boot in up my pc so I can post links.

Just a mo

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?id=24224
    http://www.belongto.org/attachments/233_BeLonG_To_Submission_to_National_Strategy_for_Action_on_Suicide_Prevention.pdf

There are a lot. Just google "Irish lgbt teen suicide rate". be warned tho, its depressing as all fcuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

In the context of a discussion about gay people I think Rory has every right to talk about suicide from a gay point of view. We all know the scourge suicide is in this country, we've all been there but how many sections of society are at risk of being literally bullied to death?

B_Wayne wrote: »
    What impact do these discussions have upon you?
    What's it to you?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I don't see how people raising awareness of discrimination against gay people is annoying though.........

But we get the message and in fairness I don't think the vast majority of us need to be constantly informed about it. Those who do will unfortunately never change their ways and sadly, no amount of stories will alter that. In fact, the continuous in your face appearances from people like that Panti bloke will probably only piss them off even more.

You don't change people's minds on a subject by continuously bombarding them with something or someone they dislike to begin with.

It's just the constant stream of stories in the media in recent months with a gay angle and the assumption that people 'coming out' is somehow newsworthy anymore is getting tiresome.

Telling people to just ignore it or not to read it misses the point. It's futile advice anyway as most people get their news through online feeder sites like Facebook or Twitter now so you can't avoid the flow of gay related news being delivered to them.

Obviously there are some stories, such as a minister coming out, which merit front page headlines, but there is an awful lot of nonsensical rubbish which passes for news apparently because it has some (often tenuous) connection to someone being gay.

Even a lot of the gay lads I know are sick of it.

The lesbians I know are too busy trying to pick winners for Cheltenham.

Lapin wrote: »
    But we get the message and in fairness I don't think the vast majority of us need to be constantly informed about it. Those who do will unfortunately never change their ways and sadly, no amount of stories will alter that. In fact, the continuous in your face appearances from people like that Panti bloke will probably only piss them off even more.

You don't change people's minds on a subject by continuously bombarding them with something or someone they dislike to begin with.

It's just the constant stream of stories in the media in recent months with a gay angle and the assumption that people 'coming out' is somehow newsworthy anymore is getting tiresome.

Telling people to just ignore it or not to read it misses the point. It's futile advice anyway as most people get their news through online feeder sites like Facebook or Twitter now so you can't avoid the flow of gay related news being delivered to them.

Obviously there are some stories, such as a minister coming out, which merit front page headlines, but there is an awful lot of nonsensical rubbish which passes for news apparently because it has some (often tenuous) connection to someone being gay.

A masterpiece

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Lapin wrote: »

Yeah, it's not as if gay people have become more accepted in modern Ireland or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

What's it to you?

Merely because I'm fascinated that it's made you so angry about gay people. The logical conclusion is must be having a significant negative effect upon your existence. So what is it?

B_Wayne wrote: »
    Merely because I'm fascinated that it's made you so angry about gay people. The logical conclusion is must be having a significant negative effect upon your existence. So what is it?
    I'm not angry at all and as I've said,the gay propaganda machine needs calming down,as it's gone crazy at this stage.
    Is that ok,Dr.Lector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Btrippn

I'm not angry at all and as I've said,the gay propaganda machine needs calming down,as it's gone crazy at this stage.
    Is that ok,Dr.Lector?

Leading up to the referendum in May LGBTQ is a prominent subject matter. It’s a political, social and, for many, personal topic that extends beyond the confines of the LBGT thread page. Moreover it’s a huge step for Ireland and the rest of the world is observing us.

You seem unfamiliar with the concept of current affairs, what’s even more outstanding is your inability to comprehend the fact this this is a PUBLIC forum. Perhaps you see this as something that is irrelevant to you, if so then please move on. I don’t see why you are so displeased that people are having their say, or as you referred to it as “gay propaganda”. Did you also feel brainwashed by the water tax debate? You’re argument lies with the media not gay individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭indy_man

Is that ok,Dr.Lector?

Completely agree. Good article on the alternative view that rarely gets media support. I'm suprised the times printed it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/he...ndum-1.2100166

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

indy_man wrote: »
    Completely agree. Good article on the alternative view that rarely gets media support. I'm suprised the times printed it.

You must have missed all the other articles, plus Iona all over the debates.

I am sure it must look like a conspiracy if you ignore them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

indy_man wrote: »

The Irish Times have printed quite a few dissenting articles on it , I wonder how could you have missed them . They actually seem to be going out of their way to give equal voice to each side , certainly in the Opinion section.

Btrippn wrote: »
    Leading up to the referendum in May LGBTQ is a prominent subject matter. It’s a political, social and, for many, personal topic that extends beyond the confines of the LBGT thread page. Moreover it’s a huge step for Ireland and the rest of the world is observing us.

You seem unfamiliar with the concept of current affairs, what’s even more outstanding is your inability to comprehend the fact this this is a PUBLIC forum. Perhaps you see this as something that is irrelevant to you, if so then please move on. I don’t see why you are so displeased that people are having their say, or as you referred to it as “gay propaganda”. Did you also feel brainwashed by the water tax debate? You’re argument lies with the media not gay individuals.
    As a member of this "public forum" my opinion is just as entitled to be aired as yours is.I presume you comprehend that?
    Speaking of current affairs,it's interesting to note that there's little to no coverage of an opposing viewpoint on this topic.
    The reason why that is,I'd imagine,is that if someone does voice their opposition,they are immediately branded as homophobic and all types of vitriol is spewed at them.The party machine kicks in and the hounds of hell are unleashed.

The pro gay marriage lobby are using every single outlet to push their agenda.They are trying to dominate and ram what they believe in down peoples throats.Theres no balance.I don't like it,it's bullying and I take issue with it.

You might think I haven't a grasp of current affairs and don't understand how a public forum works,fair enough.Maybe I don't.
    I can guarantee you one thing though,I know how to tick a box in a poll booth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭diograis

As a member of this "public forum" my opinion is just as entitled to be aired as yours is.I presume you comprehend that?
    Speaking of current affairs,it's interesting to note that there's little to no coverage of an opposing viewpoint on this topic.
    The reason why that is,I'd imagine,is that if someone does voice their opposition,they are immediately branded as homophobic and all types of vitriol is spewed at them.The party machine kicks in and the hounds of hell are unleashed.

The pro gay marriage lobby are using every single outlet to push their agenda.They are trying to dominate and ram what they believe in down peoples throats.Theres no balance.I don't like it,it's bullying and I take issue with it.

You might think I haven't a grasp of current affairs and don't understand how a public forum works,fair enough.Maybe I don't.

thats some tin foil hat you've got there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Asides from a dislike of its campaign methods.....have you any actual reason not to vote in favour of this

You are of course entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else. You are essentially telling people to stop talking about this topic that it’s been exhausted. That’s wrong. For someone who claims to have gay friends you seem to very unsympathetic. These people are passionate for equal rights; the opposition has been very vocal they are merely outnumbered by people who care about equal rights. It’s clear that you can tick a box; you’re ticking every single one in terms of ignorance and lack of insight.

You are of course entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else. You are essentially telling people to stop talking about this topic that it’s been exhausted. That’s wrong. For someone who claims to have gay friends you seem very unsympathetic. These people are passionate for equal rights; the opposition has been very vocal they are merely outnumbered by people who care about equal rights. It’s clear that you can tick a box; you’re ticking every single one in terms of ignorance and lack of insight.

kneemos wrote: »
    If we're all so pro gay marriage and liberal about being gay how often do you see a gay couple holding hands or kissing in your town or village?

Was this not done already? "I’m 45 and I’ve never got to hold hands in public without first considering the risk"

I am sure we did this sometime before.

Asides from a dislike of its campaign methods.....have you any actual reason not to vote in favour of this
    No I don't and I've no issue with gay people either,believe it or not.
    But I'm going to vote no as a protest against this campaign.
    It's not a balanced debate and there's an over saturation of one sides viewpoint.It's sickening.

It's not a balanced debate and there's an over saturation of one sides viewpoint.It's sickening.

Great protest, I hope your gay and lesbian friends support your views. The whole point of this referendum is to restore balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭reprise

Great protest, I hope your gay and lesbian friends support your views. The whole point of this referendum is to restore balance.

When was it lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

In all honesty....religion aside what other sane viewpoints are there???

Genuine question btw....I've not heard anything to make me vote either way for an issue which will never effect me??

Only voting yes....because there doesn't seem to be any reason not to allow people get married!!!

The religion one has been sorted in my eyes....it's a legal not a religious marriage

• Advertisement

It’s clear that you can tick a box; you’re ticking every single one in terms of ignorance and lack of insight.
    You're ticking a couple of boxes for me as well.
    Condescending ~yes
    Insulting~yes

Roll on May

Advertisement