Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ttowncat

Brian Hogan was doing the half time analysis with setanta tonight and said it was 'criminal' the way that dublin were fumbling ball and dropping shots into the goalkeeper- he had a little chuckle and smirk as soon as he used the word!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Good thing you weren't reffing that day is all I can say. 4 Red Cards eh? Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Who is the other village man on the panel?!

Oops. Thought D Brennan was Derrick from the Village.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Given that a mod has already cleaned up the thread, and we have more posters coming back on deliberately posting for reaction, that happens again and you will be given time off the GAA forum

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

bruschi wrote: »
    A few kilkenny players won leinster football medals today. Jason Shiely, Darragh and Thomas o Connor from Tullogher, and Darragh Joyce from the Rower. Some others on the bench. Joyce is a superb athlete and a great footballer. And unfortunately from a kk point of view, an absolute stand out candidate for Aussie rules

I always marveled at how Good Council get the Kilkenny Lads to play football.

It must be one of the greatest Dual colleges in Ireland serviced by the south wexford football heartland clubs combined with the Kilkenny and Carlow hurling clubs.

Would I be right in saying that there was a greater football tradition in south Kilkenny in years past than exists today,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

The Slobs wrote: »
    I always marveled at how Good Council get the Kilkenny Lads to play football.

It must be one of the greatest Dual colleges in Ireland serviced by the south wexford football heartland clubs combined with the Kilkenny and Carlow hurling clubs.

Would I be right in saying that there was a greater football tradition in south Kilkenny in years past than exists today,
    Glenmore and Tullogher/Rosbercon would have been traditionally football areas. Extreme North and South of the county was where the football areas were in Kilkenny, with Railyard being the last real stronghold left

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Slobs

Kkboy wrote: »
    Glenmore and Tullogher/Rosbercon would have been traditionally football areas. Extreme North and South of the county was where the football areas were in Kilkenny, with Railyard being the last real stronghold left

Sounds very like some of the african big game animals on the verge of extinction ,

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Sounds very like some of the african big game animals on the verge of extinction ,

Well football is a good game but hurling is a great game. There is no appetite for football in Kilkenny, I dont see that changing and personally I dont see anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Any predictions on the result tomorrow?
    I reckon Kilkenny by 2 points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭fed up sick and tired

Except that would be a bad thing... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,839 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Please, after all the referee nonsense, let's not do the football debate again.

I'm confident about tomorrow. Three points win, and a bad tempered game. Fascinated how our full backs will get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

bruschi wrote: »
    A few kilkenny players won leinster football medals today. Jason Shiely, Darragh and Thomas o Connor from Tullogher, and Darragh Joyce from the Rower. Some others on the bench. Joyce is a superb athlete and a great footballer. And unfortunately from a kk point of view, an absolute stand out candidate for Aussie rules

Plus one of the O'Connors from Tullogher-Rosbercon is heading to Southampton FC for a trial ( think its Cian )

Uh, am I right in saying the match won't be televised, live or deferred tomorrow?

But of a balls if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Plus one of the O'Connors from Tullogher-Rosbercon is heading to Southampton FC for a testimonial ( think its Cian )

Is that the chap from the under 15 south squad? One of the squad mentors told me about a player from Tullogher who apparently was a talented soccer player. He unfortunately was also the stand out player on the squad team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Is there commentary of the match tomorrow on kclr?

deadybai wrote: »
    Is there commentary of the match tomorrow on kclr?

Ah presumably yeah, bit of a last resort though, but reliably biased so always nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Ah presumably yeah, bit of a last resort though, but reliably biased so always nice.

good commentator though dosent one of them on kclr (the laois fella ) do rugby commentary on setanta , i know galway have in the past been a bogey but i would expect ye to backlash in a big way tomorrow i woulld imagine the experiment stuff is coming to an end

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

citykat wrote: »
    Is that the chap from the under 15 south squad? One of the squad mentors told me about a player from Tullogher who apparently was a talented soccer player. He unfortunately was also the stand out player on the squad team.

Thomas O Connor definitely has had trials in England and is on the Irish squad. Not sure if that is who allthedoyles is talking about. But he is an excellent sportsman, equally adept at hurling football and soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭Speak Now

The problem on KCLR Isn't the commentary, its the co-commentary :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

The problem on KCLR Isn't the commentary, its the co-commentary :(

What's wrong with Michael Walsh, a great GAA man involved at all levels of playing and coaching and of course has a few AI in his back pocket more than many posting on here I'd reckon. Mickey I find to be very knowledgeable knows the players at all levels and has coached many of them on different teams and squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

citykat wrote: »
    Oops. Thought D Brennan was Derrick from the Village.

No that is Darren from Freshford, minor goalie from last year.. a serious prospect!

What's wrong with Michael Walsh, a great GAA man involved at all levels of playing and coaching and of course has a few AI in his back pocket more than many posting on here I'd reckon. Mickey I find to be very knowledgeable knows the players at all levels and has coached many of them on different teams and squads.

So says the 'boro man!:D

Uh, am I right in saying the match won't be televised, live or deferred tomorrow?

But of a balls if so.

Spot on Clare-Tipp live and Cork-Kerry football deferred.

No that is Darren from Freshford, minor goalie from last year.. a serious prospect!

Was thinking it would be very late in the day to be bringing in derrick, he's about 33 at this stage! Still, made one of the greatest saves I've ever seen a few years back, was it in the Leinster or all Ireland club championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Taken from the Examiner great to see Alan Murphy doin so well.
    Alan Murphy stars as UL claim Freshers title with defeat of UCC
    Friday, March 06, 2015
    By Diarmuid Sheehan
    UL 1-24 UCC 1-18 (after extra-time)
    University of Limerick were crowned Freshers Hurling Division 1 champions last night after defeating University College Cork at Mallow’s GAA Complex.

The student’s from the banks of the Shannon had to show all their grit, determination and skill to take the spoils after UCC fought back from nine points down to level the tie at the end of normal time.

UL dominated the opening 30 minutes with their talisman Alan Murphy showing unerring accuracy from placed balls and open play. The Kilkenny student punished the Rebel side over and over again with points from either wing as well as a brace from the 65m line. Murphy also bagged his side’s only goal after being put through by Clare’s Ian Galvin on 17 minutes.

Galvin chipped in with three magnificent first-half points to add to the Cork side’s early pain as UL headed for the tunnel leading 1-9 to 0-5.

UL opened the second half in the same style as they completed the first — with two quick points from Galvin and Cian Moloney. Just as UCC looked to be beaten, they rattled off 1-6 without reply to level the tie on the three-quarter mark.

Patrick Curran was the main threat for UCC, scoring 1-3 of the comeback tally and 1-7 overall. Curran’s goal on 45 minutes had a large slice of luck attached after a free he struck looked to be dropping well short, only for the ball to bounce off a UL defender and nestle in the bottom corner of the net.

UL responded with three points only for UCC to hit back once more with three points of their own (two superb scores from Dara Walsh) to level the game for only the third time. 1-15 to 1-15 (60 minutes).

Despite UCC’s impressive comeback it was the Limerick side who dominated the extra 20 minutes, outscoring UCC by 0-8 to 0-3 to deservedly take the title. Murphy was again the tormentor slotting over six of the eight scores to bring his personal tally to 1-14.

It was a tough day overall for UCC after another side from the college also fell short in the B final, this time to WIT.

Scorers for UL: A Murphy 1-14 (0-8 frees, 0-2 sixty five); I Galvin 0-4; M Shanahan; J Keane 0-2 each, C Moloney 0-1, P Ryan 0-1

Scorers for UCC: P Curran 1-7 (1-4 frees 0-1 pen), D Walsh, K Kenny 0-3 each; C Cormack, C Galvin, C Gleeson, M Dolan, D Hannon 0-1 each.

UL: G Ryan (Tipperary); S Finn (Limerick), D Fitzgerald (Clare), M Casey (Limerick); W Brennan (Kilkenny), B Heffernan (Tipperary), S Dalton (Waterford); L Bergin (Laois), J Keane (Tipperary); C Crehan (Clare), T Morrissey (Limerick), I Galvin (Clare); A Murphy (Kilkenny), M Shanahan (Waterford), C Moloney (Clare).

Subs: D Quinn (Tipperary) for C Crehan (40), C Floyd (Tipperary) for S Dalton (50), P Ryan (Tipperary) for C Moloney (50).

UCC: J Barry (Cork); S O’Donoghue (Cork), J Byrne (Kilkenny), G Murphy (Cork); S Flanagan (Limerick), N Cashman (Cork), E Gough (Kilkenny); D Walsh (Clare), C Cormack (Cork); P Curran (Waterford), M Dolan (Cork), C Galvin (Clare); K Kenny (Kilkenny), D Hannon (Cork), M O’Connor (Cork).

Subs: C Walsh (Cork) for J Byrne (21), C Gleeson (Waterford) for C Galvin (half time), C O’Connor (Cork) for M Dolan (54), J Logue (Cork) for M O’Connor (54), J O’Sullivan (Cork) for C Cormack (74).

Referee: A Kelly (Galway).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Half-time: Galway 0-11 KK 0-8.

Not much between the teams in the first half. Galway had the breeze. Michael Walsh came off halfway through the first half with a leg injury. Jackie came on, and Murphy went to full-back.

A good a lot of varied ball has been played into Mark Kelly and Farrell. But they haven't got much joy so far. Matt Ruth and John Power aren't in the game much. Lester is playing well in midfield. Kieran Joyce has a bad habit of when he wins the ball, he sticks the head down and ends up running into trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just back home from the match. There wasn't much between the teams in the end and either could have won. KK should probably have scored a goal at the end. Galway had a nice spell of play in the middle of the 2nd half and they got some nice scores.

All the KK backs played well I thought. Shane Prendergast had a decent game and I see no reason why he shouldn't start the next day again. Lester had a good game in midfield and got a coupke of points but Willie Phelan didn't look at home in midfield.

Richie Hogan was absolute class as usual, but he came off in the 2nd half. I saw him stretching his thigh early in the 2nd half so I don't know if it was related to that. Out of the rest of the forwards, Walter was the next best. Matt Ruth was a passenger really in the match, apart from a couple of lovely high catches. Mark Kelly and Johnjoe Farrell got a few scores between them, but in reality they should have done a lot better considering the amount of ball that was played into them. John Power was fairly rusty but he was dangerous in and around the square. He was the most likely of the forwards to get a goal.

Although we could have won it in the end with a goal, there aren't too many positives to take from the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Just back home from the match. There wasn't much between the teams in the end and either could have won. KK should probably have scored a goal at the end. Galway had a nice spell of play in the middle of the 2nd half and they got some nice scores.

All the KK backs played well I thought. Shane Prendergast had a decent game and I see no reason why he shouldn't start the next day again. Lester had a good game in midfield and got a coupke of points but Willie Phelan didn't look at home in midfield.

Richie Hogan was absolute class as usual, but he came off in the 2nd half. I saw him stretching his thigh early in the 2nd half so I don't know if it was related to that. Out of the rest of the forwards, Walter was the next best. Matt Ruth was a passenger really in the match, apart from a couple of lovely high catches. Mark Kelly and Johnjoe Farrell got a few scores between them, but in reality they should have done a lot better considering the amount of ball that was played into them. John Power was fairly rusty but he was dangerous in and around the square. He was the most likely of the forwards to get a goal.

Although we could have won it in the end with a goal, there aren't too many positives to take from the match.

It annoys me how none of the newcomers are getting a chance especially forward players like Ger Malone, Kevin Kelly, Ger Aylward etc who we actually need to have a look at but we rather persist with Ruth whos so obviously not up to intercounty standard. You cant turn a sows ear into a silk purse now matter how much you play him. John Power too only came back for the last game but was parachuted straight into the team today which seems a little unfair to me. Whats the point in having new players when they wont get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Miall108 wrote: »
    It annoys me how none of the newcomers are getting a chance especially forward players like Ger Malone, Kevin Kelly, Ger Aylward etc who we actually need to have a look at but we rather persist with Ruth whos so obviously not up to intercounty standard. You cant turn a sows ear into a silk purse now matter how much you play him. John Power too only came back for the last game but was parachuted straight into the team today which seems a little unfair to me. Whats the point in having new players when they wont get a chance.
    Kevin Kelly came on near the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Hitchens wrote: »
    Kevin Kelly came on near the end

Was he on long i didnt get a chance to follow the game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement