Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

dzer2 wrote: »
    Ah but there is the crux Kilkenny didn't win any of these matches. Go talk to any tipp man about 09

The decision last year actually had no baring on the outcome in the end though. So pretty similar comparison to the ones I mentioned. 2012 did, but any team would have gotten that free.

Shefflin's red card was harsh, but I've seen far harsher calls and ones that haven't been rescinded. Asking for a yellow card do be rescinded is a nonsense too, and should never have been entertained. The GAA are responsible as well for undermining Kelly.

What amazes me is they use the excuse about not wanting to undermine them sometimes, and then there happy too not give any sort of a proper condemnation of Cody's comment and will do that token yellow card gesture which they would never do for the likes of us (I'd be embarrassed if we asked though being honest).

And even Michael Duignan made a comment about one free given to Dublin with nothing left in the Leinster final saying "That's just a man that doesn't understand hurling". And no condemnation from the GAA either. A shower of hypocrites.

Anyway, bottom line I think we'd all be better served to talking about the actual games rather than referees decisions as they definitely balance out. I've not seen a decision cost Kilkenny an all-ireland and I doubt I ever will.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,337 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

unrealtime wrote: »
    Cunningham's comments may be grist to the mill but that does not get over the fact that the KK team is massively depleted and Galway will justifiably be strong favourites.

Sure Galway are missing half their team as well. Some would argue the good half as well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

If what Barry Kelly did to Kikenny in 2012 and 2014 in All Ireland finals had been done to Waterford or Wexford instead, you can be absolutely certain Bruschi and Mountain Lad would be singing a very different song on their own respective boards..

Apologies to other Kilkenny posters on here for dragging this out, but I dont want to let the last bit go. I've already been called a troll, when it was the last thing I was doing was trolling.

you are totally and utterly incorrect, and fortunately I can show evidence you are.

What Kelly did to Kilkenny in 2012 and 2014? 2012 he gave a free to Galway that every referee would give. It happens the whole time. Last years one was extremely dubious, and I'm record as saying I would have played on. However, by the letter of the law, it was the correct decision, even if I disagree with making the call. Both have been discussed enough, but both games were draws, not losses.

Anyway, I digress. You say I would be singing a different way if it happened us. My point from the start, is that there is no conspiracy, and it is ridiculous to be pandering this thought. Again, apologies to others for dragging this out.

In 2011, Wexford played Limerick in a qualifier game in Portlaoise. The ref, I think, was David Fahy. Wexford management had put in for him not to referee the game, as they felt he has a thing against them. Rubbish. They ended up losing the game in controversial circumstances, with a last kick of the game free, which was never a free and which from my view the kick was wide.

Wexford players complained bitterly after, and some were reprimanded after it. Saying it was a conspiracy, that he was useless, and he cost them the game.

These are comments I made on here after the game.
    bruschi wrote: »
    we were brutal, the referee and umpires didnt cost us that game, we lost it ourselves. granted, that point at the end I thought was wide, but there was 70 minutes of action before that and we were 5 points up and didnt close out the game. they also had a man sent off and we were 3 points up in injury time. it was our own fault. our goal was dodgy too. you get that in these games. its unfortunate that one incident will maybe cloud the result, but no way should there be a replay. shouldnt even be talk of one.
    Wexford have only themselves to blame, and the majority of people accept that. its a shame that Limericks win is tainted with controversy, because they put in a spirited performance, and it is that which should be the main talking point, not bad refereeing and dubious points awarded/not awarded by poor umpiring.

so dont say I would be here going on about referees conspiring against Wexford when it is anything but the truth.

It's the last I'll comment on referees on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

In 2011, Wexford played Limerick in a qualifier game in Portlaoise. The ref, I think, was David Fahy. Wexford management had put in for him not to referee the game, as they felt he has a thing against them. Rubbish. They ended up losing the game in controversial circumstances, with a last kick of the game free, which was never a free and which from my view the kick was wide.

Careful bruschi.....you'll be called a troll again for using a football example in the KK forum. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Careful bruschi.....you'll be called a troll again for using a football example in the KK forum. :P

A bit disappointing when someone who is supposed to be moderating the forum is thanking the posts of someone who is clearly just trolling!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

He doesn't moderate this forum, and even if he did it would make no difference, as long as he's not breaking the rules he should be seen as any other poster.

adrian522 wrote: »
    He doesn't moderate this forum, and even if he did it would make no difference, as long as he's not breaking the rules he should be seen as any other poster.

So he is just trolling as well? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    P Murphy M Walsh S Prendergast
    P Walsh K Joyce C Buckley
    W Phelan L Ryan
    W Walsh R Hogan M Ruth
    M Kelly JJ Farrell J Power
    Subs
    D Brennan
    T Keogh
    J Tyrrell
    B Kennedy
    G Brennan
    P Gahan
    B Staunton
    G Malone
    K Hogan
    K Kelly
    G Aylward

An interesting team could be a great game we'll see how the FB goes in midfield. Is the Murphy FB experiment over?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    W Phelan L Ryan
    W Walsh R Hogan M Ruth
    Subs
    D Brennan
    T Keogh
    J Tyrrell
    B Kennedy
    G Brennan
    P Gahan
    B Staunton
    G Malone
    K Hogan
    K Kelly
    G Aylward

An interesting team could be a great game we'll see how the FB goes in midfield. Is the Murphy FB experiment over?
    Strange look about that team alright, Phelan in midfield is especially peculiar, although Cody made a decent midfielder out of Conor Fogarty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    W Phelan L Ryan
    W Walsh R Hogan M Ruth
    Subs
    D Brennan
    T Keogh
    J Tyrrell
    B Kennedy
    G Brennan
    P Gahan
    B Staunton
    G Malone
    K Hogan
    K Kelly
    G Aylward

It's good to see a few more lads getting a chance. I'd say Murphy is still the #1 replacement for JJ, but Cody wants to give Michael Walsh a chance.
    I'm intrigued to see how Willie Phelan gets on in Midfield.... Considering he is normally in the full-back line. Or does he play there for Dunnamaggin now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Would love to see Kevin Kelly get a run, huge potential so hope he gets a chance soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    W Phelan L Ryan
    W Walsh R Hogan M Ruth
    Subs
    D Brennan
    T Keogh
    J Tyrrell
    B Kennedy
    G Brennan
    P Gahan
    B Staunton
    G Malone
    K Hogan
    K Kelly
    G Aylward

More interested in how that FB line goes tbh. Two relative 'newbies'. After last year, I don't think anybody can rest on their laurels. Can't help thinking Jackie might be regretting his TV program atm. That's the kind of thing BC would frown upon. Btw another village man on the panel!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Interesting, experimental FB line, but first choice HB line.

I'd like to see K. Kelly and Awlward get a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

What amazes me is they use the excuse about not wanting to undermine them sometimes, and then there happy too not give any sort of a proper condemnation of Cody's comment and will do that token yellow card gesture which they would never do for the likes of us (I'd be embarrassed if we asked though being honest).

And even Michael Duignan made a comment about one free given to Dublin with nothing left in the Leinster final saying "That's just a man that doesn't understand hurling". And no condemnation from the GAA either. A shower of hypocrites.

Yea. Down with that sort of thing. Who do these guys think they are anyway, like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Charlie69 wrote: »
    Strange look about that team alright, Phelan in midfield is especially peculiar, although Cody made a decent midfielder out of Conor Fogarty.

Willie hurls midfield for the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

ft9 wrote: »

I presume the doubt is about whether he's up to scratch at inter county. I'd have my reservations, but I didn't want fogarty OR Hogan there last year, so that doesn't count for much.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Kenajonn

Miall108 wrote: »
    A Waterford person lecturing Kilkenny people about hurling. Thats a bit rich :pac::pac:

Just because he comes from Waterford dose not mean he has less knowledge than you. I happen to support Bradford City. Do I have less knowledge than someone who supports Man U ? What makes a forum interesting is the opinion of other posters please respect their opinions by debating in a sensible manner. Just because he dose not agree with you dose not make him a troll.

citykat wrote: »
    More interested in how that FB line goes tbh. Two relative 'newbies'. After last year, I don't think anybody can rest on their laurels. Can't help thinking Jackie might be regretting his TV program atm. That's the kind of thing BC would frown upon. Btw another village man on the panel!

Who is the other village man on the panel?!

Kil v Gal
    E Murphy
    W Phelan L Ryan
    W Walsh R Hogan M Ruth
    Subs
    D Brennan
    T Keogh
    J Tyrrell
    B Kennedy
    G Brennan
    P Gahan
    B Staunton
    G Malone
    K Hogan
    K Kelly
    G Aylward

Wouldn't think the Murphy experiment is over, definitely don't see Michael Walsh as the answer. Joey Holden could be a bettter option when he becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Wouldn't think the Murphy experiment is over, definitely don't see Michael Walsh as the answer. Joey Holden could be a bettter option when he becomes available.

Agreed on all that, I'd see Michael Walsh as a fairly ok back up for full back, but Murphy, Joyce, Holden, would ask be my preferences. Be nice to see Murphy in corner back again though, unquestionably the best player in that position in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

ft9 wrote: »

And he played midfield for the Kilkenny intermediates last year too and did very well. Obviously he is not seen as a defender, maybe thought to be a little loose, talented hurler and I think he is the most interesting selection for tomorrow.

Kkboy wrote: »
    And he played midfield for the Kilkenny intermediates last year too and did very well. Obviously he is not seen as a defender, maybe thought to be a little loose, talented hurler and I think he is the most interesting selection for tomorrow.

I admire your optimism but have a bad feeling about Willie Phelan at midfield tomorrow. What struck about WP from watching him over the last few years was is slowness on the turn and lack of mobility, can't see how midfield is going to mask that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

anyone know where I could get a copy of the Kilkenny fixtures booklet for 2015?

I'm looking for a few contact details for some clubs
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Would Murphy not have been one of the better players from the game v Dublin, Rushe didn't get much change out of him? Would it be a case of trying out more options?

Not a very strong looking team but Galway haven't set the world alight yet by any means. Maybe Cody wary of the drawn match last year and Jonathan Glynns impact on Murphy? I know he bottled him up the 2nd day, but if he got the upper hand it could cause havoc on the scoreboard that close to goal.

Would Murphy not have been one of the better players from the game v Dublin, Rushe didn't get much change out of him? Would it be a case of trying out more options?

Not a very strong looking team but Galway haven't set the world alight yet by any means. Maybe Cody wary of the drawn match last year and Jonathan Glynns impact on Murphy? I know he bottled him up the 2nd day, but if he got the upper hand it could cause havoc on the scoreboard that close to goal.

Yeah, i agree Murphy has acquitted himself quite well in both matches. Wouldn't
    think it is much to do with Glynn, he will probably spend more time at centre forward anyway. Think it is just a case of giving Walsh a chance, but personally i am not a fan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Right, this thread went downhill in a big way over the last couple of days. It seems to have calmed down finally so I won't close it until I get to a PC. When I do get to one, I'll get to cards etc.
    Just a reminder, calling people trolls on thread is a big no-no.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

nice to see Ger Aylward back - hope he gets a game as he is, on song, a scoring machine. should we win it will show a remarkable depth to our squad.

BTW, as someone wrote previously - criminal in colloquial KK use is like - it was criminal that Cha and John Dalton quit so early. Don't know why all the fuss about that word given the context. I think Brian had something to do with Cha etc. retirement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

No problem! But out of curiosity is blatant trolling ok?

Mod. I'm on the phone and hammer has already said he will deal with the thread but you already know the answer to that question don't you?

Read the charter and if you have a problem with a post report it and a mod will deal with it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

A few kilkenny players won leinster football medals today. Jason Shiely, Darragh and Thomas o Connor from Tullogher, and Darragh Joyce from the Rower. Some others on the bench. Joyce is a superb athlete and a great footballer. And unfortunately from a kk point of view, an absolute stand out candidate for Aussie rules

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Right, thread cleaned up and cards handed out to a good few posters.

I'm going to put a note on the OP soon (no time as I've a match to go to) but I'll quickly summarise the main points:

1: If you see a post that you deem to be trolling, all you do is click this report.gif button to report it. Several posters complained about it on thread yet none of those reported a single post. Contrary to popular belief, we mods do have lives of our own and don't read every single post on this forum. We rely on users to let us know when they deem posts to be crossing the line by reporting them.

2: This is the Kilkenny GAA discussion thread. However, that does not mean that only Kilkenny fans can post on it. This is an open forum and anyone can post their opinions, even if they are negative towards Kilkenny (so long as they are not trolling). This is the same for every county's discussion thread.

So hopefully you can go back and have some semblance of civility in the discussion without needing to resort to the bickering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement