Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

Scandalous performance from James McGrath today. I may shut up before Im shot down by an outsider cos a Kilkenny man obviously isnt allowed to complain about a referee no matter how bad he has been

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

Miall108 wrote: »
    Scandalous performance from James McGrath today. I may shut up before Im shot down by an outsider cos a Kilkenny man obviously isnt allowed to complain about a referee no matter how bad he has been[/QUOTE

Typical out of ye, Kilkenny just weren't good enough give up blaming the ref and take your beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭me89

Scandalous performance from James McGrath today. I may shut up before Im shot down by an outsider cos a Kilkenny man obviously isnt allowed to complain about a referee no matter how bad he has been

Only got to listen to it on kclr but the boys were not impressed with him at all.

me89 wrote: »
    Only got to listen to it on kclr but the boys were not impressed with him at all.

We were outclassed on the day but the referees performance certainly added to our woes

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Bad day today but not totally unexpected. Richie Hogan was unreal in the first half. Thought Brendan Maher did very well at centre forward for Tipp. Disappointed that the referee's performance in a KK match is an issue again. How John O Dwyer didn't see red for his wild swing in the first couple of minutes is a mystery. It is getting really tiring coming away from practically every KK match feeling we are suffering at the hands of the referee no matter who is in charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Scandalous performance from James McGrath today. I may shut up before Im shot down by an outsider cos a Kilkenny man obviously isnt allowed to complain about a referee no matter how bad he has been[/QUOTE

Typical out of ye, Kilkenny just weren't good enough give up blaming the ref and take your beating.

As bad as Brian Cody this lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

It is getting really tiring coming away from practically every KK match feeling we are suffering at the hands of the referee no matter who is in charge.

No offence but your talking out of your hole, Kilkenny are a dirty team and the refs are coming down on them appropriately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

I wouldn't be slitting ye'r wrists just yet. How many of that team will start in the championship? Good morale booster for us all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Indie.

Whatever about the referee , Kilkenny only scoring 1-4 in the final 45 minutes speaks for itself IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

ha, ha, Kilkenny lose a league match and the celebrations are on :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I won't mention names or events, but you know full well the incidents im on about.

First of all I'm not a KK supporter.

You're talking rubbish tbh. All the top hurling teams play a strong physical game. I'm a Tipperary supporter and would say that when we're at our best we play just as physical as KK. No player goes out of their way to cause injury to another player except for in extremely rare circumstances.

You're giving other supporters a bad name by making ridiculous statements like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Jesus some kilkenny lads really let the side down with the ****e talk and ref mud slinging on here.
    The ref made some strange calls but was no way harder on one than the other team. What he gave to one team he took back a minute later.
    The match itself, phenomenal first half of hurling for March. Two best counties in the country by a mile. Tipp looked very sharp, had great performers from barret, p maher, Kieran Bergin. In the forwards they got good returns from nearly every position, but they over elaborate a lt when they get in front. A lot of ballauxing that got intercepted by Walter and hogan.
    Kk had strong performances from 1-7. They backs were under phenomenal pressure from the off due to us not winning any clean puck outs. P Murphy started shakily but grew and grew as the game went on. E Murphy had a great game. Joyce's Jackie and Buckley all hurled a good 70 minutes, there was just too many men coming at them from all angles. Up front hogan have a master class. There was no way he could keep that up for the second half. I'd be relatively happy with Walter and john joe, but tried and worked and threw themselves into everything. Mark Kelly I felt a bit sorry for starting so far from goal, he showed his value in the last 20. Bar the bad wide he showed well. Disappointed with john power and Matt Ruth, tried in patches but never really made inroads. Ger aulward I wouldn't write off but he really looked poor. Dunno is he only back from injury, but looked so so rusty.

Overall I wouldn't be that disappointed. I was ezpecting a 8+ point defeat today and bar some v good goalkeeping at the end that's what we would have got. You can't retire 5 multi all Ireland / all star winners, take out 5 ballyhale stars and still expect to beat your biggest rivals who are just about at full strength. I dunno where it will leave us in the table but if we could get to a league semi it would be nice with the others back after Tuesday.

All in all I wouldn't be overly worried nor id doubt Cody is too flustered either. Game went as expected, a lot of lads wore the jersey with pride and put up a good fight.

delaney001 wrote: »
    Jesus some kilkenny lads really let the side down with the ****e talk and ref mud slinging on here.
    The ref made some strange calls but was no way harder on one than the other team. What he gave to one team he took back a minute later.
    The match itself, phenomenal first half of hurling for March. Two best counties in the country by a mile. Tipp looked very sharp, had great performers from barret, p maher, Kieran Bergin. In the forwards they got good returns from nearly every position, but they over elaborate a lt when they get in front. A lot of ballauxing that got intercepted by Walter and hogan.
    Kk had strong performances from 1-7. They backs were under phenomenal pressure from the off due to us not winning any clean puck outs. P Murphy started shakily but grew and grew as the game went on. E Murphy had a great game. Joyce's Jackie and Buckley all hurled a good 70 minutes, there was just too many men coming at them from all angles. Up front hogan have a master class. There was no way he could keep that up for the second half. I'd be relatively happy with Walter and john joe, but tried and worked and threw themselves into everything. Mark Kelly I felt a bit sorry for starting so far from goal, he showed his value in the last 20. Bar the bad wide he showed well. Disappointed with john power and Matt Ruth, tried in patches but never really made inroads. Ger aulward I wouldn't write off but he really looked poor. Dunno is he only back from injury, but looked so so rusty.

Overall I wouldn't be that disappointed. I was ezpecting a 8+ point defeat today and bar some v good goalkeeping at the end that's what we would have got. You can't retire 5 multi all Ireland / all star winners, take out 5 ballyhale stars and still expect to beat your biggest rivals who are just about at full strength. I dunno where it will leave us in the table but if we could get to a league semi it would be nice with the others back after Tuesday.

All in all I wouldn't be overly worried nor id doubt Cody is too flustered either. Game went as expected, a lot of lads wore the jersey with pride and put up a good fight.

Kevin Kelly did well enough when he came on I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Kevin Kelly did well enough when he came on I thought

True, he looks a tad light but def has the hands. I'm really suprised with alyward tho, does anyone know if he was injured before?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

I've had to delete some posts and hand out some cards - this is a warning to keep it civil, or bans will be handed out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Hitchens wrote: »
    ha, ha, Kilkenny lose a league match and the celebrations are on :D

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

True, he looks a tad light but def has the hands. I'm really suprised with alyward tho, does anyone know if he was injured before?

I felt sorry for Ger Aylward, apart from Richie Hogan the forward play in general just wasn't anyway near the level required. I thought the backs did quite well and Shane Pendergast looks a decent option for corner back. Brian Kennedy also did a lot better than in the Dublin match too. Given our absentee list the match itself was nothing more than a glorified challenge match, even the Tipp crowd weren't getting too excited over it

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

[quote="delaney001;94698156")

I dunno where it will leave us in the table but if we could get to a league semi it would be nice with the others back after Tuesday.[/quote]

Kilkenny cannot finish outside of bottom 2 so they're guaranteed now to be in a relegation playoff.

Still, it's not overly worrying from a kilkenny perspective. The Ballyhale contingent and Richie Power (what's the story with him?) were sorely missed.

From a Tipp point of view the win was badly needed, if we didn't win that one it would have been worrying. Doesn't make us world beaters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

I think Kevin Kelly is worth another try but have my doubts about him, lacks the pace and physicality for inter county . I wasnt surprised with Alywards performance , have seen him a few times with his club and he just isnt up to it. He was so out of his depth today it was quite difficult to watch, I genuinely felt sorry for the lad.
    As a Kilkenny supporter, to me the blaming of referees is becoming slightly tiresome , a number the supporters last weekend seemed to be waiting for Barry Kelly to make a mistake just so they could abuse him. Apart form Bubbles reckless pull on Joyce which possibly couldve been red I thought Mc Grath did a decent job in what is always a difficult situation.And by people coming on hear a constantly banging on about it it is just inviting people to come on and make idiotic remarks about Kilkennys style of play without any facts to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

This loss was coming after the last few weekends, nothing overly surprising . Referee had a good game today there will always be one or two poor decisions but as long as he has no bias we can all accept that and mcgrath had a good game today.

Thought Murphy was solid in the goal, handled plenty of dropping ball well, thought the full back line hurled well considering how quickly the ball was coming back at them. Kennedy and Buckley were solid but I was very disappointed with Joyce at centre back. He took the ball into contact everytime and it leads to needless turnovers, he was also so slow on the turn. He needs to look for his team mates with a handpass or deliver it quickly.

Lester was poor again and was bullied of the ball numerous times. In the forwards Richie took the game by the scruff of the neck at one stage but seemed to have another tweak of his hamstring which set him back. Walter worked hard but was very in and out, ruth, john power and alyward were completely anonymous. Jonjo scored 1 1 which should have been at least 3 1 but at least he threatened the goal and attacked the ball.

Panel looks threadbare now but still no need for panic due to absentees but we just can't afford injuries anymore as we have lost so much depth. We will need colin, tj for clare without question and hopefully richie hogan will be fit again. The big worry is the likes of lester and walter are struggling although they are around a number of years at this stage. The lack of matches will also be a problem with a big gap until Wexford but the general feeling at the match wasn't very downbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

A bit worrying given that the players to come back are pretty much all forwards. Other than P. Walsh who has to come back in the backs?

Wasn't in attendance today but it looked bad from my sofa. Other than Hogan the forwards seemed awful. Farrell I guess did ok. Still not sure about Murphy at full back, he did ok but seemed to come charging out a few times, got away with it but on another day could have been caught.

He's probably our best option but I'm not seeing any standout candidates for the corner back spot.

Don't get the criticism of the ref, I thought he was fine.

Next week is pretty much a dead rubber by the looks of things, no need to bring in ballyhale players for that.

I guess its possible to overtake the loser of Dub/Galway on points difference if we were to give Clare a pasting. Probably not happening though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

adrian522 wrote: »
    A bit worrying given that the players to come back are pretty much all forwards. Other than P. Walsh who has to come back in the backs?

Wasn't in attendance today but it looked bad from my sofa. Other than Hogan the forwards seemed awful. Farrell I guess did ok. Still not sure about Murphy at full back, he did ok but seemed to come charging out a few times, got away with it but on another day could have been caught.

He's probably our best option but I'm not seeing any standout candidates for the corner back spot.

Don't get the criticism of the ref, I thought he was fine.

Next week is pretty much a dead rubber by the looks of things, no need to bring in ballyhale players for that.

I guess its possible to overtake the loser of Dub/Galway on points difference if we were to give Clare a pasting. Probably not happening though.

Ye still have Joey Holden to come back? And couldn't someone like Fennelly move back if you really needed him to.

And I'm pretty sure head-to-head takes precedence over points difference, you are in the relegation play-off at this stage having lost to Galway & Dublin, the only teams you can catch. Clare can technically survive if they win and Dublin lose but seems unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Not too worried about todays result. From 1 to 7, I thought played extremely well. Nearly every ball that went up into our forwards came back down on top of them straight away.

Plenty of lads to come back: E Larkin, R Power, C Fogarty, P Walsh, J Holden, TJ, 2 Fennellys.

I wouldn't play the Ballyhale lads against Clare next weekend - looks like we're in the relegation play-off with Clare, unless we hammer them and the other results go our way. So I wouldn't show my full hand until the play-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

1984baby wrote: »
    Not too worried about todays result. From 1 to 7, I thought played extremely well. Nearly every ball that went up into our forwards came back down on top of them straight away.

Plenty of lads to come back: E Larkin, R Power, C Fogarty, P Walsh, J Holden, TJ, 2 Fennellys.

I wouldn't play the Ballyhale lads against Clare next weekend - looks like we're in the relegation play-off with Clare, unless we hammer them and the other results go our way. So I wouldn't show my full hand until the play-off.
    I hope there is one more big name added to that list

• Registered Users Posts: 8,005 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Kkboy wrote: »
    I hope there is one more big name added to that list
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Not surprised at losing today. Bit disappointed though at the manner of the defeat. Thought the backs were solid enough. After a shaky start, the full back line steadied and broke even with their opponents. Similarly the half back line who were under savage pressure all game.
    Midfield was ceded to Tipp. Mark Kelly is not a midfielder but Lester is.
    Of the forwards, Richie was majestic in the first half but was crowded out (and probably suffering from the hamstring) in the second half. Walter was more involved than normal but wasted a lot of ball by overcarrying. JJF was lively and should have scored more but is clearly limited by his weaker left hand. Aylward had a stinker and appears very rusty.

What disappointed me was the lack of bite in some of the forwards. The backs were under pressure all game with the lack of scoring by KK and their own clearances landing back down on top of them. Regardless of whether the forwards have the same quality as those missing at the moment, I thought the incumbents could have made life more difficult for their opponents today.

The league at this stage is all about the relegation playoff and thus survival in 1A. Therefore, I don’t see the point in bringing back the Ballyhale contingent for next week. Stick with the current panel and see can they get the win against Clare. I would though bring out the big guns for that playoff.

Don’t see what the problem was with the ref today. He made some strange decisions (as is generally the case these days) for both sides but didn’t favour one over the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

We had the chances at important times in the game but not the men to take them. What hold has Matt Ruth got on Cody though?

Anyway the backs were quite good and we have a whole forward line to bring on.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Ye still have Joey Holden to come back? And couldn't someone like Fennelly move back if you really needed him to.

And I'm pretty sure head-to-head takes precedence over points difference, you are in the relegation play-off at this stage having lost to Galway & Dublin, the only teams you can catch. Clare can technically survive if they win and Dublin lose but seems unlikely.

Forgot about Holden alright, that's another to come back into the team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

What players could come back to the panel that Cody dropped left go?
    John Dalton?cha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,862 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

sasta le wrote: »
    What players could come back to the panel that Cody dropped left go?
    John Dalton?cha?

Cha would never come back even if Cody would have him. Dalton was a massive loss, I never heard the full story there, I know he left for work commitments but he worked for the team's sponsor. The suspicion that he was dropped over the Dublin kicking incident still lingers, moment if madness but it speaks to codys ethics, much maligned as they are by a very few nasty posters and fans from other counties. If that was the reason of close. Always thought it was harsh if true, he was the future at full back.

I'd be much more interested in Michael rice to be honest, incredibly talented, very unfortunate with injuries. What age is he now? If he came back it would free up options at centre back and in the forwards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement