Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

mercury16 wrote: »
    Have been at all the games to date and though that the game against Cork was KK best performance from an effort put in point of view. They really tried that night. Against Dublin we were brutal against Galway the game was there for the winning against an average Galway side and we blew it at the end when we should have taken points instead of going for goals. Tipp will beat the current KK side next weekend, unless they are brutal and these players are playing at championship pace.

Back to Galway.
    I thought Pendergast played reasonably well for his first game. He seems physically very strong and if he can catch a ball then he stands a good chance of making this team. Granted Galway weren't all that, so the jury is still out. Tipp will be a far better barometer next weekend.
    Willie Phelan in midfield was out of it for most of the game. It's maybe not his position, but he either develops a bit of drive, go in his game, or if not, he may as well walk now. Harsh but that's just a dose of reality.
    Walter Walsh - I just don't know what is wrong with this lad. He's very lackadaisical for the most part throughout the game. Looses the ball far too easy as does Kelly and Ruth.
    John Power, oodles of talent but again a lack of go about him.

Galway were trying a number of lads as well and they had no problem getting stuck in as against the KK lads, so it isn't youth that's the issue.
    This is the one thing I would find fault with the current KK panel. Cody's teams of old even the second string teams always gave their all in trying to win the ball but some of these younger lads would drive you mad, and they are currently trying to impress???Being out muscled or beaten by the fitter man is one thing, so long as you are trying.

In addition to that there is a serious deficiency in the standard of the forwards coming through, I'm not seeing any Rice, Larkin, Power, Fennelly or Reid's coming through in these lads. Power, Reid and Fennelly blew hot and cold when they were younger but when they blew hot they had it. The current crop are a millions miles away from that.

Finally, the clock had 31.30 on it in the second half and Pearse stadium decided to turn off the clock on the big scoreboard. They then said 1min of extra time. I watched my wrist watch and to me, Kelly did not play the full amount of time. Did anyone else cop that ?

This was KKs third game of the season. The three teams we have played so far have had far more training/game time under their belts. Given how little preparation KK have had so far this season, it's hard to see how KK could be anything other than average at the moment. If you analyse it though, we could have snuck a draw or even a win yesterday. We were poor against Dublin but were a man down after approx. 20 mins and two down for the last 15. We only started playing in that last 15 IMO.

I'd imagine Cody isn't too concerned at the moment. Given results so far, there'll be very few swelled heads in the camp. He'll have free rein to go to town on them. When the panel fully returns and the training picks up, there'll be a step change in form and attitude. Then we'll see how we're fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

I noticed the click as well, that was bizarre, also lally was down for more than a minute though so it should have been two minutes.

Wonder could Brian Kennedy do a job in midfield with Lester at the weekend, don't think it would be long term move but could work.

I'd go with Eoin Murphy
    Pendergast, Paul Murphy, Tyrell
    Walsh, Joyce, Buckley
    Lester, Kennedy
    John Power, Walter, Kevin Kelly
    Jonjo Farrell, Richie Hogan, Mark Kelly

I'd like richie close to goal to bring a goal threat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭MfMan

Because they spent so much money on it they feel obliged to play the league matches there seen as they get no home hurling championship matches these days. But i was at the Clare and Kilkenny matches and the standard of hurling both days was poor and the pitch had to be a factor.

The irony is that they would probably almost certainly attract a bigger crowd for a match in Athenry (and Tuam) (from both counties participating), and are more likely to win in Athenry, thus increasing their chances of an extended league run and collecting extra revenue. Myopia doesn't begin to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I noticed the click as well, that was bizarre, also lally was down for more than a minute though so it should have been two minutes.

Wonder could Brian Kennedy do a job in midfield with Lester at the weekend, don't think it would be long term move but could work.

I'd go with Eoin Murphy
    Pendergast, Paul Murphy, Tyrell
    Walsh, Joyce, Buckley
    Lester, Kennedy
    John Power, Walter, Kevin Kelly
    Jonjo Farrell, Richie Hogan, Mark Kelly

I'd like richie close to goal to bring a goal threat

I agree with all of this, would love to see K Kelly get a start and Kennedy has plenty of hurling and could play a defensive midfield role no problem at all.
    Will Richie start if his hamstring is dodgy? Not worth the risk of losing him for the rest of the league if he tears it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭brookville

I think we were kinda unlucky not to get something in galway but they probaly shaded it,canning made a big differance and richie goin off didnt help,Hopefully richie shall be fine and it was only a precaution,it's a big ask to try beat tipp as they will be gunning for us and determined to lay a early marker,I heard a interview where coady didn't expect to have anyone back so he'll be picking from same deck of cards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Charlie69

brookville wrote: »
    I think we were kinda unlucky not to get something in galway but they probaly shaded it,canning made a big differance and richie goin off didnt help,Hopefully richie shall be fine and it was only a precaution,it's a big ask to try beat tipp as they will be gunning for us and determined to lay a early marker,I heard a interview where coady didn't expect to have anyone back so he'll be picking from same deck of cards,

Yeah we were unlucky not to take one of those late goal chances although Galway prob deserved to win.

Also agree if both teams had finished with their starting teams we would have won, thought Canning was excellent for a man coming back from injury and his point from the sideline cut was a fantastic score.

What a performance from R Hogan, best hurler in the country at the moment. He made it all look so easy on a terrible surface, got some genius scores from play and was flawless from frees , especially impressive into the wind in the first half.

Was disappointed that Cody didn't make a few changes earlier as things clearly weren't working out for one or two lads up front. Would have liked to have seen K Kelly brought on much earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

I'd like to see the Fennellys, Holden, Henry and TJ all playing against Clare and can see no reason why not - win or lose the Club final

• Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I assume this would be the best thread to ask this question in but anyhow I'm in Kilkenny City on Paddy's Day, and am just wondering where the best spot atmosphere wise would be to watch the Ballyhale match? I know the city will probably be busier than usual given the day that's in it, but am looking for a traditional GAA orientated bar to watch the match (know Kilkenny City relatively well but wouldn't know the best pubs to watch matches in etc.)*

Would there much of a celebration around the city too if Ballyhale win?

*staying in the Newpark so anywhere within a taxi ride would be preferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,863 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

I assume this would be the best thread to ask this question in but anyhow I'm in Kilkenny City on Paddy's Day, and am just wondering where the best spot atmosphere wise would be to watch the Ballyhale match? I know the city will probably be busier than usual given the day that's in it, but am looking for a traditional GAA orientated bar to watch the match (know Kilkenny City relatively well but wouldn't know the best pubs to watch matches in etc.)*

Can't imagine the atmosphere will be particularly great anywhere regarding the match, though you'll probably get a decent crowd watching in Egans or Lanigans, possibly The Field. None of those are pubs I really like but in terms of people really watching the match, who aren't actually at it, that's your best bet. Would imagine celebrations would be fairly muted, should they win, it's a small club from a long way south of the city so I would say that while people will support them, the people who really care if they win will largely be at the game. Lanigans I would say has really turned itself into a hurling-centred pub, so it is probably your best bet in the centre. A little further out, Delaney's in the Village, the Nore Bar in the Boro/Loughlins (depending on who you ask) is always a lovely place to sit down and watch sport - it's also very near the Newpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I would try 3 spots
    The Blue Bar has a good knowledgeable hurling crowd
    Syd Harkins is a good pub if the crowd go there can be awkward to see the tv sometimes though.
    Dohertys have a good hurling crowd too.

Plenty will watch it around the town and you will probably hear where the Ballyhale team and supporters are going for their meal. It will probably be Langtons but ya never know.

The Left Bank will have a big crowd in but not necessarily there for the Hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

JB Burkes, at the top of John Street - it'll be the first pub you'll come across on your way into town from the Newpark.
    Jim, the owner, is from Ballyhale so they're prob be a good few in their watching it

If the weather is fine, take a stroll into town from the hotel (it's reasonably doable and straightforward from the Newpark) and head for John street. There's a line of pubs along the street all the way into Rose Inn St and on to the Parade. You'll pass most of the pubs already mentioned. I would add O'Gormans (known by some locally as Ollie Bergins) and Breathnachs, both popular with Loughs folk.

Were Ballyhale to win, i'd be surprised if you found many celebrating. The celebrations on that day would be more to do with the saint himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

The world's end bar would have a good atmosphere and knowledgeable hurling clientele.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Comerman

The world's end bar would have a good atmosphere and knowledgeable hurling clientele.
    Among other types of "clientele" DON'T go near it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭wallywhittle

Comerman wrote: »
    Among other types of "clientele" DON'T go near it.

Excuses me, but who gave you permission to make such scandless accusations, retract that statement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Comerman

NOPE :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

I can vouch for O Gormans, there will be plenty of the Loughlins club watching the match in there and its close to Newpark. In terms of after the match it will be muted enough unless your in Ballyhale and they win of course.

Could be the last time we see the King in Croke Park. Kilmallock will give the Shamrocks plenty to think about, I'd imagine it will be very tight. Nice week of hurling with two league games and the club final to look forward to.

Slightly off topic but just wondering is ger malone who came on for wit in the fitzgibbon the same lad that's a sub on senior panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Miall108

brookville wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but just wondering is ger malone who came on for wit in the fitzgibbon the same lad that's a sub on senior panel?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 13,333 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Toughest Trade is starting in 5 minutes lads.

• Advertisement

Matthew Ruth receives another start in the league, Jesus!!!. Hes like Brendan Rodgers with Joe Allen at Liverpool.

Good to see Ger Aylward getting a start though.

Not the biggest fan of ruth but tought he worked hard against galway but obviously that's not enough,a few of the other fowards aren't playing a whole lot better than him and jus shows how stretched we are when we're persisting with the same lads,on a positive note I'm happy to c ger alward back but like John power last week probaly wont be that expecting a whole lot from him,hard to ever write kk off but it's very hard to see us getting something from this one

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Very hard to see that particular forward line scoring enough to beat Tipp. Stranger things have happened of course but I'm praying for a miracle.

Team in full to play Tipp:
    1. Eoin Murphy
    2. Shane Prendergast
    3. Paul Murphy
    4. Jackie Tyrrell
    5. Brian Kennedy
    6. Kieran Joyce
    7. Cillian Buckley
    8. Mark Kelly
    9. Lester Ryan
    10. Walter Walsh
    11. Richie Hogan
    12. Mathew Ruth
    13. Jonjo Farrell
    14. John Power
    15. Ger Aylward

SUBS
    Darren Brennan
    Tomas Keogh
    Joe Lyng
    Padraig Gahan
    Willie Phelan
    Geoff Brennan
    Kevin Kelly
    Keith Hogan
    Bill Staunton
    Ger Malone

• Registered Users Posts: 47 The growler

On paper that kk forward line doesn't look menacing but they'll still be of a decent standard. Kilkenny look solid from 1-9 so if they nullify the Tipp forwards they have a decent chance. Richie Hogan (if fit enough ) can win a game on his own.

In saying that I'd be worried if Tipp don't win this. I know it's only the league but given recent results between our counties (and the relative weakness of that kilkenny team) we could do with a win against ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭1984baby

Is P Walsh injured??

1984baby wrote: »
    Is P Walsh injured??

Yes. Not selected on that basis.

Anyone know what Padraig's injury is?

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭mullinr2

A major hammering is on the card for us today.

• Advertisement

Forwards are terrible, being carried bigg time by Richie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement