Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Cold, Snowy Weather Feb 28th - March 3rd 2015

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Given the lack of reports, I can only assume what's crossing the country now is rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Maybe they are knee deep in snow right now and can't communicate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

We've had a few light snow showers here(tinahely) the last half hour with the sun out there not lasting long.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭lolie

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Given the lack of reports, I can only assume what's crossing the country now is rain?

Afraid so, heavyish sleety rain here in s/e Cavan.
    Kermit I think you're been a wee bit optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,085 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

3.4 degrees now in Castlebar....well what can I say its been a fantastic 18 hours of lamp post watching, boards.ie watching, snow/lightning watching....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Darwin

Yep, back to the 'ol schleet, might be the last of the sneactha we see for a good while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

I really enjoyed the weather watching this winter, especially the last 3 months.
    Thanks to all the experts for keeping it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

hollster2 wrote: »
    We've had a few light snow showers here(tinahely) the last half hour with the sun out there not lasting long.
    shyte. Im heading to arklow later and was hoping it would be just cold and breezy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

There's a thaw beginning now - but it was lovely to enjoy the last proper gasp of winter! Now roll on spring, a sunshine and long evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

shyte. Im heading to arklow later and was hoping it would be just cold and breezy

Surprisingly arklow haven't been getting what we have so I think your safe :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chris2007

It's very stormy here in coolock dublin 5

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭horsefarm

What are the thoughts for tonight in the east? How foolish would it be to venture out with the horse in the horsebox? Steep hill up to 850ft don't want to be trying it in snow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thankfully this spell of cold weather finally delivered for me. Everything during the winter failed to deliver around my area so at least this time it worked out even if it is spring!

At this stage I'd like to think we can bid the cold weather a farewell for another 9 months and start having 12C+ temps from next week onwards. There has been a few times were we got 21C in March, would be nice if that happens over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,131 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sheets and sheets of Hail and Sleet here in Naas. Very Squally!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

DOCARCH wrote: »

Mostly rain and sleet

340783.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sleet on the hills of Kilkenny but temperature is falling fast, less than 10 minutes ago it was 5.0C, now 3.3C and falling fast, DP is at 1.5C.
    Lots of snow flakes in it, will likely be full snow soon if trend continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,553 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

For my area, despite the fact hardly any snow settled, there has still been more snow this winter/spring than the last 3 years combined at least.

The risk of further cold snaps will go on for a few more weeks but increasingly it takes more and more potent incursions for the type of cold weather that brings frost, ice and snow. The colder weather tends to become more of an irritant than interesting in the latter stages of Spring. Be daft to rule out further cold spells and snow potential at this stage though. It is only the beginning of March.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

Supercell wrote: »
    Mostly rain and sleet

340783.jpg

Yes that rain is starting to hit Dublin right about now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

It's a lovely day in Arklow,sunny and breezy
    No showers but I can see the advancing line on the north west horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Any chance of the gusts currently hitting Dublin City disappearing in the next few hours?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heavy hail all day here in clare. Its melting in most places except for where large amounts had built up over the past few days. Out the back of the house we have had a small pile of hail there for the past 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Heavy rain here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

I'd disagree on the widespread point though
    Less than a third of the land mas of the island has a covering this morning(less still yesterday and just the mountains by tomorrow) and certainly three quarters + of the population has no snow covering at all

Vis at 9.35 this morning. Shows a bit more than less than one third of the country under a covering.

340801.PNG

Speaking just for my location, I've had 3 days in a row where snow has both fallen and settled. And I would say for the those in the east, there has been more snow from these Atlantic westerlies this year than there has been from some of the hugely hyped up easterlies of over the last few years.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

To update, after that very little if any snow on way up,no snow in Belfast, but very strong winds. Then drove back in sunshine, sleet, snow 4 seasons in one day. it definitely shows how marginal these events can be. I can attest to the state of the roads in Galway at 6am, very tricky, like ice frozen underneath, with layer of snow on top. Not surprised many people found it tough. off for a nap now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Here are a couple from the 1st of Mar 2015

1 snowflake on my hand
    [URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/OoZC87mm.png[/img]"]OoZC87mm.png[/URL]

1 "duck feather" - (credit for the name to Iancar29) that split in half when it landed on my arm
    [URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/Ohgbk7Sm.png[/img]"]Ohgbk7Sm.png[/URL]

Winter(spring really) wonderland
    [URL="[img]http://i.imgur.com/K1Wo2gAl.png[/img]"]K1Wo2gAl.png[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Vis at 9.35 this morning. Shows a bit more than less than one third of the country under a covering.

340801.PNG
    This is ground you ,I and others have debated before and usually end up agree'ing to disagree on it.
    Mostly all the snow in that morning pic is gone on the 230pm shot and probably down to a third by the time I was posting though and mostly not there at all the previous day,a good effort in the inland west
    The problem with westerly snow is the lack of staying power

Speaking just for my location, I've had 3 days in a row where snow has both fallen and settled. And I would say for the those in the east, there has been more snow from these Atlantic westerlies this year than there has been from some of the hugely hyped up easterlies of over the last few years.
    I presume you're talking about faux easterlys built up in threads here that don't appear or with no long draw,I'd agree there but when you put up a true cold easterly/north easterly eg Feb 2009,Jan 10 against what a westerly is capable of,there's no contest in terms of staying power as there's too much warm air in the Atlantic
    Ireland's best infamous most snowy spells in terms of snow and length like 47,63,several in the 80's,and 1991 and then the 2010 episodes don't have many comparable westerly sourced events
    The only problem is they're rare
    Snow on higher ground in Donegal or Sligo is always going to trump anything in the east due to the frequency of precipitation that comes out of the Atlantic
    Cities like Limerick or Galway where many live wouldn't see a whole lot though in comparison and it's population experiences I'm on about here too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Well as the drip drip starts on this cold spell I have to say it wasn't too bad.
    Plenty snow around but equally quick to melt soon after sunrise.

It would be nice for Spring to kick off now as in reality any proper prolonged cold is beyond us for this year

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭filo87

Snowing near Blarney, Cork. Nice big flakes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SligoRoversFTW

Strange Winter. My two best snowfalls came from a Westerly/SW. Widespread snow at sea level across the West and North. I was surprised to see Malin head directly on the coast record snow from a Westerly in March and inch island covered in snow from a few pages back in this thread. It's a bonus to get snow from a Westerly but two widespread meaningful falls at sea level in one Winter is impressive. Decent totals too with the lucky spots getting over 6 inches on both occasions with January having more than that for a lucky few,it wasn't restricted to higher ground here or across the North West . Now we all know a Westerly won't live up to an Northerly/Easterly in terms of cold or longevity snow wise but it's still good and better than nothing.

A Northerly is best for my location, now I mean a true Northerly with high latitude blocking not a transient affair like we usually see. The last true one being the second half of December 10 thanks to a Greenland high. A foot plus of snow fell across many parts of North within a 24 hour period again lucky spots outdoing this, while earlier in the month Eastern areas faired best with the Easterly with crazy amounts of snow too. Obviously depending on your location determines which is best for you but a potent Northerly and a potent Easterly can deliver for all parts of Ireland.

Let's hope next Winter delivers both and all areas of Ireland can enjoy a long decent snowy spell. I will be hoping for a true Northerly as I'm selfish :p but I hope the snow starved East gets a good pasting. On a side note I was reading about the blizzard which hit Eastern Northern Ireland in 2013. Ballypatrick Forest in Antrim recorded a depth of 41 cm on the 22nd of March. Crazy. I would settle for that set up next January

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭March11

Big fluffy flakes falling between youghal and Dungarvan now.

Advertisement