Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Cold, Snowy Weather Feb 28th - March 3rd 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Just under an inch lying here in Limerick, still snowing now again adding to it, but getting lighter.

C7C962F0917543AF9D4F284101EFB08F-0000341756-0003736380-00500L-B09248126ADC4AC680579DDDF505BE8B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nice bit of snow in Galway , traffic chaos on the N17 at Tum, trucks jack knifed and roads reported to be very bad all round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Finally proper snow in tinahely :)

And gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Nice bit of snow in Galway , traffic chaos on the N17 at Tum, trucks jack knifed and roads reported to be very bad all round

I am in west Galway and the quality of the snow is very poor. It's small flakes mixed with small hailstones so it's very loose stuff.
    The countryside does look really nice. I think as you travel inland the snow and depth gets better (Tuam, Athenry etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The roads are trecherous in Galway City, it was horrible trying to cross west to east this morning. Sick on this snow already:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Gosh really thick blanket in South Sligo (on the hill) branches are white - The sun is out so I don't know how long it will last but didn't expect that much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Just saw on twitter where someone measured the snow depth here and it's 9 inches! Roads are a disaster but my daughter's school is in the only one not closed within a 5+ mile radius! People really struggling in their cars. (Dungiven, Derry).

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Best covering this winter so far in Westport. Roads are pretty bad. Looks great though. If that's it for this winter I will take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Naas about to get hbit with a nice blobby shower :)

Pity I am in Dublin :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

nice snow in Athenry. Roads are lethal though with a thin layer of ice under the snow. Traffic is crazy with commute times of 1 hour to Galway City (normally 20 mins)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

bucketing down now in east clare

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

3rd day in a row of lying snow in Dublin 15! (although yesterday and today could be considered dustings at best - Sunday was the real deal!!).

Classic March comes in as a lion stuff!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The roads are trecherous in Galway City, it was horrible trying to cross west to east this morning. Sick on this snow already:(

Yeah i saw a few cars in ditches on the way to work in Galway city. I was half an hour late but so was everyone else I work with so it was fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

About 5 inches here in Donegal and it just started snowing heavily here again

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Much bigger clumps of stuff out to the NW now, moving SE(ish)...http://www.sat24.com/en/gb...if it is/stays cold enough, some places in the north could be in for a bit of a pasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Much bigger clumps of stuff out to the NW now, moving SE(ish)...http://www.sat24.com/en/gb...if it is/stays cold enough, some places in the north could be in for a bit of a pasting.

Bbc news forecast stated rain in NI by afternoon except on high ground,I'd imagine that will also be the case further south ,it certainly looked like it on their map

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

This thread has delivered the goods anyways, it needs to be said. Fairly widespread snow going by the posts here.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

About an inch here this morning

7ZBH55.jpg

"Okay where's my ball?"

7jg4dM.jpg

"Here it is!"

South Sligo 03/03/15
    (and yes that's a bad snowman in the background!)

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

I will never get tired of waking up to this view!

tumblr_nkmudhPbqW1qa16vbo1_540.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ComaWhite wrote: »

Sleeping in the snow again from the looks of it? :)

ComaWhite wrote: »

I'd say that's a beautiful view even without the snow!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nothing in South Dublin by the sea. Only remains of the snow shower from yesterday evening

same here, barely a flake since that big shower we had around 2pm yesterday. All showers went to my north again! Just a few patchs left in very sheltered areas and ditchs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

That's what I thought. Drooly wet snow in your ear is not a good start to the morning.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Reiketsu wrote: »
    Just saw on twitter where someone measured the snow depth here and it's 9 inches! Roads are a disaster but my daughter's school is in the only one not closed within a 5+ mile radius! People really struggling in their cars. (Dungiven, Derry).

Hopefully we will all see a bit more of that next year, that's the real deal!

I still have memories of waking up to that much snow one April morning way back in the mid 80s or thereabouts. There was barely anything left by nightfall tho as it thawed so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Pangea wrote: »
    This thread has delivered the goods anyways, it needs to be said. Fairly widespread snow going by the posts here.
    I'd disagree on the widespread point though
    Less than a third of the land mas of the island has a covering this morning(less still yesterday and just the mountains by tomorrow) and certainly three quarters + of the population has no snow covering at all

But it's actually better or as good as previous Atlantic spells this year except less widespread

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭ComaWhite

*searches google for DIY igloo*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I'd disagree on the widespread point though
    Less than a third of the land mas of the island has a covering this morning(less still yesterday and just the mountains by tomorrow) and certainly three quarters + of the population has no snow covering at all

That itself is impressive! Well I didnt mean the whole of Ireland, the spots that were favoured for snow seem to have got it even at sea level i.e North and West, Midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

We've even had a few good showers in West Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Darwin

Some really strong gusts developing in the last 20 minutes (Laois), easily 40mph+...wonder if the next line of showers heading east will bring snow, hail or rain!

Advertisement