Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England, Sunday 1st March 3pm; RTE/BBC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Bridge93 wrote: »
    There was one for Jordi Murphy I thought was harsh. Ford missed the kick anyway.

Yeah was annoyed with that one at the time. Murphy was competing legally initially and the man on the ground was blatantly holding on. A penalty should've been awarded then before Murphy went off his feet and didn't release.

Was really heartened by Murphy's breakdown work yesterday, it's an area I'd been hoping to see an improvement from him. He could turn out to be an excellent 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

philstar wrote: »
    anyone think the ref was a tad hometown'ish ???

penalizing england for the quick shove near the irish line was a bit harsh i thought and why didn't he go to the TMO for the try at the end??

England definitely went early on that scrum.in their eagerness to get an advantage.

As for the forward pass the Jeremy Guscott on the BBC proved it was the correct call after the game with a fancy bit of tech. I suspect Nowell's foot was in touch anyway, but it was definitely a forward pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Was that Paul O'Connell's last 6N game in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

crying-aby-with-hands-on-head.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We don't know yet but it may well have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I sort of hope so from a legacy point of view. He was excellent and it would be a very fitting last 6N game there for him as well as hopefully ending his 6N career with a GS. Then it would be fantastic for him to bow out on the grandest stage of all in front of a world audience in the RWC.

If he plays on next year, that's great but the prospect of his last two games in green would be home fixtures against Scotland and Italy which fail to set the pulse racing. Would be somewhat anti-climactic, I feel.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

We all know he's going to stay on, he really wants a 50m pic of his face floating around the Aviva for his last game!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

England
    It'll entirely be his decision, as from yesterday you can clearly see that he's one of the fittest players in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Neil3030 wrote: »
    It'll entirely be his decision, as from yesterday you can clearly see that he's one of the fittest players in the team.

Unnaturally fit for his age and weight. He doesn't even look like slowing down over 80 minutes it seems completely impossible to be able to perform like that. Since coming back from that injury POC has not only gotten fitter but is leaner and stronger despite being older.

I think he could easily go for another season or two if he wanted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I suppose he'll also have what happened to BOD in his final season in the back of his mind.

BOD was in and out of the injury room and by his own admission only had 1 or 2 good games, an awful lot of average games, and then a few not to mentions!

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I suppose he'll also have what happened to BOD in his final season in the back of his mind.

BOD was in and out of the injury room and by his own admission only had 1 or 2 good games, an awful lot of average games, and then a few not to mentions!

Still ended with a six nations championship and a Pro 12 title. I doubt he regrets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

CatFromHue wrote: »

Different players, different positions, different egos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

It would also be nice if we didn't get 17 "last time he will ever..." occasions. That got a bit much with the great one.

If he's happy to retire after World Cup then fair play to him, will be his first time captaining his country at a World Cup, so as good a time as any to hang 'em up.
    Always leave them wanting more.

As others have said, it certainly looks like he has more in him, but only he'll know.

evil_seed wrote: »
    Different players, different positions, different egos

Same situation for them both though.

Ageing body but the promise of success an International level which neither had a huge amount of (i.e. winning 6N's etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hasn't really been mentioned that its his 100th cap for Ireland next game

At the same time I think he can still contribute a lot. It's certainly not going to be like a Benny Hill featuring Ronan O'Gara final season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

England

He was on radio this morning on way into work, more or less said it was.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭theboy1

Rob Kearney has to be the most frustrating teammate. He never, ever passes!!

Pretty basic skill to switch the play two passes after catching a long opposition punt. instead Kearney just runs straight back into contact (often makes ground which is a credit to his strength). He could be so good if he just passed it. Baffling that none of his coaches have forced it upon him.

theboy1 wrote: »

Pretty basic skill to switch the play two passes after catching a long opposition punt. instead Kearney just runs straight back into contact (often makes ground which is a credit to his strength). He could be so good if he just passed it. Baffling that none of his coaches have forced it upon him.

He's doing exactly what is asked of him

He's doing exactly what is asked of him

I doubt it, he has never been a passer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Big Nelly wrote: »
    He was on radio this morning on way into work, more or less said it was.....

The radio misquoted the interview. The interviewer actually asked "is this your last home 6 nations game against England". To which poc responded with the joke. He didn't rule out next years 6n

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

We have to hope first POC makes it to the WC and is playing as well as he is now before talk of anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

There's no need to pass it after a punt. Just gives the opposition more time on th chase. If they're kick chase isn't good enough then a fast strong counter puts in a better position, territorially wise.

.ak wrote: »
    There's no need to pass it after a punt. Just gives the opposition more time on th chase. If they're kick chase isn't good enough then a fast strong counter puts in a better position, territorially wise.

The person catching is in no position of vision.

I doubt it, he has never been a passer.

And this isn't true.

Watch the 2013 final against ulster, for example. In attacking positions he's a great distributor. People just seem to get frustrated for not throwing the ball away...

If anyone should be cirticized for not passing yesterday it's Payne. He had an opportunity to fix a man and give Zebo the ball on a one on one. Instead he arced and kept the ball. I thought as a 13 that was pretty mediocre play.

.ak wrote: »
    And this isn't true.

Watch the 2013 final against ulster, for example. In attacking positions he's a great distributor. People just seem to get frustrated for not throwing the ball away...

If anyone should be cirticized for not passing yesterday it's Payne. He had an opportunity to fix a man and give Zebo the ball on a one on one. Instead he arced and kept the ball. I thought as a 13 that was pretty mediocre play.
    I am sorry but it has been blatantly obvious for a while now that Kearney refuses to pass.

I have seen him distribute the ball well in the past which makes his reluctance to release the ball all the more frustrating.

The person catching is in no position of vision.

No, the main reason the catcher moves the ball is to because the chase is aimed towards the kicker. You move the ball, it means the chase have to change direction, it's harder to get to the ball, and thus give the 2nd option more time to decide what to do, either kick or counter. It's nothing to do with vision.

For example, what usually happens is RK's positioning is so good at reading the kick that he gets into position to early and knows exactly what to do. Next time he fields a kick watch where he gets tackled. Now think if he kicked or passed would we still have the ball? Where on the pitch could we have ended up? Instead we have the ball, and we have control at the base of a ruck, and we've eaten up any advantage of space the kicker tried to buy.

I am sorry but it has been blatantly obvious for a while now that Kearney refuses to pass.

I have seen him distribute the ball well in the past which makes his reluctance to release the ball all the more frustrating.

Only blatantly obvious because you don't like it when he doesn't. He's actually a keen distributor, but that doesn't mean he should do it when he's countering.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

If he's fielding kicks then he's generally behind everyone else and may have a winger retreating back that he could pass to. Of course if he did that the guy he passes to would be isolated and easily turned over. Watch what he does again. He tries to find an area where there is a decent amount of support close by, he runs into contact around that area so that Ireland can set up a structured phase off him. You can be sure that is exactly what he is being asked to do.

• Advertisement

He doesn't need to pass. He usually takes contact and recycles the ball in a safe place.

Advertisement