Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England, Sunday 1st March 3pm; RTE/BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Was that kicking to the right?

Another that Zebo or Kearney should have struck!

Not sure about this, for Kearney anyhow, the amount of times he tries to kick the leather off it and ends up slicing it terrible.....missed touches off penalties are massive errors in test matches, I'd prefer someone who never misses touch, even at the cost of 10/20/30 metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think it was more to do with being in the way and line of sight. Not a cool thing to do but I understand why a defending player would do it.

Totally agree, there's plenty in the bank re getting upset at Hartley without this, it's a tough game, how was he to know Henshaw was not executing one of Schmidt's cunning powerplays and acting as decoy. It was a little shove, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

duckysauce wrote: »
    England actually impressed you--- how are you saying that -- Vinny was good and Robshaw was :confused: then he said go for line instead of points -- his IQ is below the norm and he has shown this recently -- that move put us up big time -- they ****ed up thereeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:
    Well yeah as I explained in my previous post, to be only 10 pts down after having been globally dominated for at least 3/4 of the game shows the strength of this team. You base your opinion on one play. Hindsight is great. What would you say if England had scored the try?
    Gits_bone wrote: »
    And anyone talking about France as anything to shout about should really look at their record. They have only won 7 of their last 18 in the championship.
    Exactly. Only 1 win against a top side (the flukey one home to England last year).
    Vunipola made a meal of it by kicking the ball away. His support had a run-in on the wing.
    I don't agree. Ireland defended that very well (particularly Bowe). I think he only had Youngs on the wing but Bowe covered the space between them greatly.
    I didn't understand them taking 3 points at 13 points down.
    I don't agree. In a tight match like that you have to take your points. It was a crucial mistake. If the roles were reversed I'm certain POC/Sexton would point at the sticks. On Emmet's post I couldn't understand the call to take 3 points at 19-6 down. That had to go to corner. Perhaps the lost lineout in the first half spooked Robshaw?
    It's easy to comment in hindsight but if you're pragmatic you could argue the first penalty was a difficult one (from the touch line I think) while the second was a guaranteed 3 pts.
    Also maybe the fact they got countered the first time and overall your line-out was immense led them to this second decision.

I guess our comments regarding that would be very different too had they been more patient on their try opportunity where they got penalised for obstruction (from Twelwetrees).
    IMO it's either Grand Slam or bust for Ireland. Ireland have a 15 point advantage over England but given England's fixtures I'd back them to catch us. You'd fear for France and Scotland at Twickenham.
    Yeah, England could destroy us.

And now that PSA starts being angry at the players (after over-protecting them for 3 years) we could go in Twickenham after a 3rd defeat in a row in Rome in a total meltdown atmosphere surrounding our team...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Saint-Andre certainly has not been over-protecting his players. He's thrown them to the lions multiple times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

awec wrote: »
    Henshaw was walking across their defensive line. Injured or not you're always going to get shoved out of the way there.

Said this during the game and I got numerous roll eyes in reply.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

World Cup is what counts and every team will be looking at us. Where was the versatility everyone spoke about pre game? Maul - kick chase. That is Ireland. Our tactics were found out at the last world cup.

1) Who needs versatility when you have found a winning formula ? You just keep repeating it as long as it is successful. Enhance and improve your execution of it.

2) Plenty of variations in the game we are trying to play :
    a) in the opposition half:
    - box kick to a chasing group of a winger + two others, down the line.
    - up and under to drop around the posts with wingers closing in from both sides and back row looking for a steal or to recover the ball
    - pick and go a few times, move the ball to the centres to crash ball, pick and go a few times again - hopefully leaving a few defenders on the ground out of the game, or the defence pulled out of shape with mismatches - then kick to a winger
    - long cross field 'hail MAry' to our big wingers or centres.
    - following a box kick and defending winger/fullback caught up ni the ruck, kick in behind if the gap isnt filled and go for touch in the corner. If your own put in, then go for the driving maul or the long cross field kick again
    - kick into space behind the ruck and in reach of the who pack, pile in to pressurise a turn over and earn a penalty.

And thats just in the opposition half. There are a whole variety of ways to kick out of your own half as well.

The passing/offloading, 3/4 'moves' means of attacking is not on our agenda, so dont be disappointed when you dont see it, or blame players for kicking to o much - thats exactly what they are trying to do - they cannot kick too much !

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Annabella1

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    He will hardly disappear. It's a strange one. Some people think he's a world beater, and others think he's a useless show pony. The truth is somewhere in the middle. He wont become a world class 10 at this stage but he's still a very handy player to have on the bench. He offers versatility and genuine impact from the bench. Until a top class back up to Sexton shows up (i suspect Jackson will be this sooner rather than later) he is still a very important member of that squad.

I suspect that JS might look at Keatley and either Earls/Fitz on the bench.
    Both had great games over the weekend.
    Keatley is a steady back up

1) Who needs versatility when you have found a winning formula ? You just keep repeating it as long as it is successful. Enhance and improve your execution of it.

2) Plenty of variations in the game we are trying to play :
    a) in the opposition half:
    - box kick to a chasing group of a winger + two others, down the line.
    - up and under to drop around the posts with wingers closing in from both sides and back row looking for a steal or to recover the ball
    - pick and go a few times, move the ball to the centres to crash ball, pick and go a few times again - hopefully leaving a few defenders on the ground out of the game, or the defence pulled out of shape with mismatches - then kick to a winger
    - long cross field 'hail MAry' to our big wingers or centres.
    - following a box kick and defending winger/fullback caught up ni the ruck, kick in behind if the gap isnt filled and go for touch in the corner. If your own put in, then go for the driving maul or the long cross field kick again
    - kick into space behind the ruck and in reach of the who pack, pile in to pressurise a turn over and earn a penalty.

And thats just in the opposition half. There are a whole variety of ways to kick out of your own half as well.

The passing/offloading, 3/4 'moves' means of attacking is not on our agenda, so dont be disappointed when you dont see it, or blame players for kicking to o much - thats exactly what they are trying to do - they cannot kick too much !

All you need is a clever defenders making it difficult for the chasers, a good pair of hands at the back and a bit of luck and the gameplan is in serious trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Annabella1 wrote: »
    I suspect that JS might look at Keatley and either Earls/Fitz on the bench.
    Both had great games over the weekend.
    Keatley is a steady back up

Against Italy maybe but in the Millennium stadium with 10 mins left and nothing it in, I am not so sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

its_phil wrote: »
    Saint-Andre certainly has not been over-protecting his players. He's thrown them to the lions multiple times.
    :eek: sources?

He changed his communication during this current 6N.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

England
    All you need is a clever defenders making it difficult for the chasers, a good pair of hands at the back and a bit of luck and the gameplan is in serious trouble.

You mean like England did yesterday

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Warren Gatland
    anyone think the ref was a tad hometown'ish ???

penalizing england for the quick shove near the irish line was a bit harsh i thought and why didn't he go to the TMO for the try at the end??

stephen_n wrote: »
    You mean like England did yesterday

How many times did England knock it on? Errors at important stages.

Look at Wales. Their gameplan is kicking it too so we'll see who comes out on top.

We made feck all ground with ball in hand, England made more ground I'd say.

philstar wrote: »

penalizing england for the quick shove near the irish line was a bit harsh i thought and why didn't he go to the TMO for the try at the end??

I think a bit but I'm not complaining.

You will get people saying he took ages calling penalties but he was waiting to see how it played out imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If you mean the scrum it was a blatant early push. For the non try at the end, the ref was right there and called it instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

England

Why would he go to the TMO if he saw a forward pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Buer wrote: »
    Pretty much. He will continue to have his fans but there's very little supporting evidence. He turns 26 next month. The time is fading to see if he makes it and approaching that people accept he's more of a Shane Geraghty than a Jonathan Sexton.

Ian Keatley turns 28 next month and in about 18 months has improved to be a much better player than he was. If you think Madigan has finished learning fine, but if you think no player can learn past the age of 26 the evidence says otherwise.

I said months ago I thought he'd end up a Shane Geragty, but he could still end up a Danny Cipriani. Matt Giteau was left out of Australia's 2011 World Cup squad when he was 29, and for some is now one of the best players in the world.

Yes he's off form, and it is ruining everything he does. Maybe he won't recover it. But form can really hit players in that play making position more than most, there is a chance he'll bounce back.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Joubert always try's to give the advantage to the attacking team which for the most part was Ireland, I thought he was pretty consistent as he almost always is. Him & Owens are the best in the world imo, but I have real fears for the Welsh game with Steve Walsh in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    If you mean the scrum it was a blatant early push. For the non try at the end, the ref was right there and called it instantly.

It was but there was an equally blatant push from Ireland at the next scrum.

It's the benefit of playing at home. The pressure can get to the referee. I'm sure we could find instances of the exact same taking place in Twickenham last year to England's advantage.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Man, I would not tire of ruining players like this chances of playing in major comps with a long ban. He could clearly see the lad was injured.
    https://vine.co/v/O2lpprP6tdi

People are being precious if this offends them. This literally happens all the time when someone is in the way near a ruck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

I thought he had a decent game and there were only a couple of decisions I clearly recall as "whaaaaa" and tbh, one of those was penalising POM for not supporting his own body weight at the ruck without warning him, which is one of my pet hates.

No complaints here at least. England lost because they were notably inferior to the other team, that's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

England
    Well, still savouring yesterday's match.

On the injury front, the one I am most concerned about it Sexton. The change in the game when he left the field yesterday was quite something. SOB's stagger looked horrific, but it sounds as if he should be OK, thank goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭rudiger2.0

I thought he had a decent game and there were only a couple of decisions I clearly recall as "whaaaaa" and tbh, one of those was penalising POM for not supporting his own body weight at the ruck without warning him, which is one of my pet hates.

No complaints here at least. England lost because they were notably inferior to the other team, that's all.

Not sure if we're on about the same penalty but there was an occasion when POM got excellent position over the ball and just stayed there making absolutely no attempt to actually steal the ball, which is a pet hate of mine. Joubert penalised him for it and said as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

rudiger2.0 wrote: »
    Not sure if we're on about the same penalty but there was an occasion when POM got excellent position over the ball and just stayed there making absolutely no attempt to actually steal the ball, which is a pet hate of mine. Joubert penalised him for it and said as much.

i think he got done for one because he had his elbow on the ground, it would have gone our way otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England
    There was one for Jordi Murphy I thought was harsh. Ford missed the kick anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Looks like a few people here will be eating some humble pie regarding Jordi Murphy.

At this stage hes looking closer and closer to POM. I thought he was better than POM for the second time in a row at test standard.

TommyOM wrote: »
    Looks like a few people here will be eating some humble pie regarding Jordi Murphy.

At this stage hes looking closer and closer to POM. I thought he was better than POM for the second time in a row at test standard.

There is pie all over my face

pie-in-face.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Man, I would not tire of ruining players like this chances of playing in major comps with a long ban. He could clearly see the lad was injured.
    https://vine.co/v/O2lpprP6tdi

Nothing wrong with that

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

TommyOM wrote: »

I'm getting tired of your sh*t stirring. Post about the game without being such a dick about it. Murphy had a great game which is brilliant. You don't need to throw that in peoples faces hoping to score points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Bridge93 wrote: »
    There was one for Jordi Murphy I thought was harsh. Ford missed the kick anyway.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, Joubert explained his decision to O'Connell straight away. Murphy was attempting to rip the ball before the opposition player had fully hit the deck, which was ok. However, then when the player hit the deck, Murphy also ended up on his back and continued to hold on and was penalised.

Gotta hand it to Joubert, he always communicates excellently with the players. One certainly can't accuse him of not explaining his decisions.

Walsh on the other hand... very much the type to just blow without warning and will sometimes refuse steadfastly to interract with players.

Advertisement