Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland vs England, Sunday 1st March 3pm; RTE/BBC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Jared Payne looks like Juan Mata

Ireland+v+England+RBS+Six+Nations+Y3YWaogVxgAl.jpg

290138-juan-mata-mu-goal-700.jpg

Not as useless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

bilston wrote: »
    That wasn't the question...

Very sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

LorMal wrote: »
    Very sorry.

What for?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Jared Payne looks like Juan Mata

290138-juan-mata-mu-goal-700.jpg

Too late...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92228078&postcount=377

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Warren Gatland
    I know some harsh things have been posted on here before but there's no need to compare Payne to such a waste of space. Think a formal apology is in order :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

The scrum-half remains a poor box kicker

More wisdom from George Hook :rolleyes:

I think he's world class. One of us is wrong...

Also, always fun to read the pre-match team assessments with the benefit of hindsight

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/sixnations/11441868/Ireland-v-England-player-head-to-head-who-comes-out-on-top.html

As you'd expect the England tight 5 is more highly rated than the Irish one. It's one area I think English journalistis are consistently myopic. They always believe they have some sort of amazing front-row, they tend to put a huge emphasis on the scrum when assessing their players. Some of the backline assessments are also interesting. Sexton a 9 but Ford an 8. Joseph a 9. They scored it evens before the match anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Interesting to read some of the analysis of how Ireland have such great teamwork, detail n discipline at the breakdown, rucks n mauls. I think the mobility of OMahoney/OBrien/Murphy Best/OConnell is a huge help. We're not the biggest or fastest up front but our forwards do a pretty decent 3/4 pace for the duration of the match. Bigger more powerful forwards wouldn't be able to get around the pitch to the same degree. Twill be interesting to follow how refined and efficient we can get and what little extra advantages we can come up with.
    The breakdown is often messy n uncoordinated for some teams, our players seem to be working in pairs n threes better than other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭19543261

England

George North, 6'4'', 109kg

Robbie Henshaw, 6'3'', 102kg

Pfft. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭scott1974

Swiwi. wrote: »
    The scrum-half remains a poor box kicker

More wisdom from George Hook :rolleyes:

I think he's world class. One of us is wrong...

Also, always fun to read the pre-match team assessments with the benefit of hindsight

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/sixnations/11441868/Ireland-v-England-player-head-to-head-who-comes-out-on-top.html

As you'd expect the England tight 5 is more highly rated than the Irish one. It's one area I think English journalistis are consistently myopic. They always believe they have some sort of amazing front-row, they tend to put a huge emphasis on the scrum when assessing their players. Some of the backline assessments are also interesting. Sexton a 9 but Ford an 8. Joseph a 9. They scored it evens before the match anyways...

I read those rating too but I actually think they were actually done before the game as predictions...otherwise they are just ridiculous.
    One comment from the author says "I wish I had your hindsight"..or something similar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

scott1974 wrote: »
    I read those rating too but I actually think they were actually done before the game as predictions...otherwise they are just ridiculous.
    One comment from the author says "I wish I had your hindsight"..or something similar.

They were done before the match but they're stupid. They're generally far too high so they do nothing to distinguish between players properly. Joseph and Sexton getting the same rating is farcical for one. Neither Ireland or England are teams full of players who should be rated 9s and 8s out of 10.

• Advertisement

Yeah before the game alright. But still loads of nonsense. Running amok against Italy doesn't suddenly make Joseph a 9/10 midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Yeah before the game alright. But still loads of nonsense. Running amok against Italy doesn't suddenly make Joseph a 9/10 midfielder.

+1 on this, the hype around Joseph annoyed me.....a few good performances in the Premiership, a try against Wales that your Granny would score and one nice run against a tired Italy.....and all of a sudden he's a superstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

S12b wrote: »
    +1 on this, the hype around Joseph annoyed me.....a few good performances in the Premiership, a try against Wales that your Granny would score and one nice run against a tired Italy.....and all of a sudden he's a superstar.

I actually think he is a very, very good 13 in the making. Could be a future Lion imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

2 noteworthy performances v France and Scotland with a few tries making him top try scorer and he'll be player of the championship imo.

Didn't see many people saying he was the next BOD but he definitely had the potential to do damage to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

.ak wrote: »
    I actually think he is a very, very good 13 in the making. Could be a future Lion imo.

I agree, I think he has great awareness and speed and is teak tough. We did very well to shackle him on Sunday.

I agree, I think he has great awareness and speed and is teak tough. We did very well to shackle him on Sunday.

Yeah, the only time we did give him half a yard of space and he looked dangerous. For the most part we shut down that space well, credit due to Sexton, Payne and Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England

That's pretty harsh. The hype is well over the top but he is excellent. Welsh defence needs to look at itself but his footwork was excellent get away from Biggar. And his first try against Italy was brilliant too.

In the making
    Could be

I like my players graded on how they are actually not what they might become.

He could well be a 9/10 player. I don't think he's that currently, and certainly didn't really shine on Saturday, if compared to 6/10 Payne or 8/10 Henshaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Bridge93 wrote: »
    That's pretty harsh. The hype is well over the top but he is excellent. Welsh defence needs to look at itself but his footwork was excellent get away from Biggar. And his first try against Italy was brilliant too.

Not denying for a second he could be excellent and go on to play for the Lions....my point is after 2 good matches, he's suddenly the next Conrad Smith/BOD....the hype was silly but that's the English media for you. My gripe is with them, not Joseph.

In the making
    Could be

I like my players graded on how they are actually not what they might become.

He could well be a 9/10 player. I don't think he's that currently, and certainly didn't really shine on Saturday, if compared to 6/10 Payne or 8/10 Henshaw.

No you're absolutely right, I'm just responding to the post who thinks he's had an easy run into the hype... He's been brilliant all season, and imo, is deserving of a lot of the hype around him. To say he's a 9/10 player is a bit much, but he made that try in Wales look easier than it was. Just like BOD did in Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

.my point is after 2 good matches, he's suddenly the next Conrad Smith/BOD....t

I love it that an Irishman would put these 2 together :D

Biggar shot up out of the defensive line and made it a bit easier for Joseph, It would have been more difficult had the line stayed flat ...IMO

Biggar shot up out of the defensive line and made it a bit easier for Joseph, It would have been more difficult had the line stayed flat ...IMO

True, but he still had two players on him and managed to worm his way out of the tackle. Great foot work and movement, very Shane Williams like infact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

England
    It would have been more difficult to score the try but by shooting up Biggar made it more difficult for Joseph to get away from him in their 1v1. I don't think he thought Joseph could/would do what he did.

It would have been more difficult to score the try but by shooting up Biggar made it more difficult for Joseph to get away from him in their 1v1. I don't think he thought Joseph could/would do what he did.

Joseph did well...but for me Biggar shot but didn't make the tackle, he just kinda stood in the way... he definitely made up Joseph's mind.. after that he showed good footwork.
    For me, if you shoot up out of defense at least get a hand on the attacker.
    I'm not doubting Joseph's ability, I just thought that Wales were actually defending quite well in that passage of play up to that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Nice bit of skill but soft at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I love it that an Irishman would put these 2 together :D

We're pretty graceful like that, and Smith is actually fairly decent so he's not that out of place there. :D

Nice bit of skill but soft at the same time.

Yeah exactly, it's a little bit from column A and a little bit from column B. Joseph has a lot of potential and seems to be the sort to be able to find that at international level so in time he could be great. But then he wouldn't be the first to fail to live up to initial promise if he didn't either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If there are grannies out there that could have scored that I think the ladies team needs to be looking at them, and maybe Fiona Coughlan retired too early??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Undoubtedly, however I forgot he was playing on Sunday such was his impact.

Talking of future Lions 13s there are some good young OCs around. JJ, Henshaw and Bennett could all be vying for the 13 jersey in a couple of years time, but right now it would be hard to look past Davies and Tuilagi.

Actually when Tuilagi returns where will JJ fit into Lancaster's plans?

Advertisement