Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DC cinematic universe general stuff

• 20-02-2015 7:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Only fair that we get our DC equivalent to the Marvel thread. :pac:

Anyway, Zack Snyder has posted on Twitter the first image of Jason Momoa as Aquaman. Hard to judge the look without the context of a proper theatrical setting but it looks solid enough to me. I do find it jarring though and I think Snyder has done himself and Momoa a disservice here by posting an official "unofficial" image.

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news/a630222/zack-snyder-reveals-first-look-of-jason-momoa-as-aquaman.html

Edit Please keep it general lads, there's more than Dawn of Justice in the pipeline! For example Suicide Squad is the immediate aftermath of BVS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Looking forward to the TV stuff more than the movies, they don't tie in at all but loving Constantine.

The green lantern movie wasnt great butliked ryan reynolds and mark strong, not sure if Reynolds would be good for justice league

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Sorry, OP, but I’m locking this. There’s nothing in the shared DC cinematic universe to talk about at the moment except Man of Steel and Snyder’s upcoming Justice League film, which there’s already a thread for discussing. There’s no need for two threads discussing the same thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The OP has convinced me to re-open this, but can we please keep the focus on DC and the shared universe as a whole? There’s already a separate thread for Snyder’s Batman v Superman/Justice League film. Lets the keep the overlap to a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

To be honest I think, meh, when I see this image. He looks a bit like an extra from 300 or something.

The colour palette is just boring at this stage. There's colour & life to the MCU, the DCU appears to be entirely grey & brown

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

Would the dc universe be better off going down the full on magic route,rather than Marvels technology so advanced it's indistinguishable from magic. Shazam is very magic based,as are aquaman and wonder woman. Even Supermans weakness is magic.

Marvel have already called Dc Strange's powers quantum physics based...

I think it would be ther better option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Are DC correct in having a Flash tv series and a Flash Movie character, both totally separate entities..
    I know there is an Arrow tv series, Flash tv series, Gotham tv series and there is a Supergirl tv series starting... a few of them are on different networks, so again not complete crossover.. The Arrow and Flash do crossover..

• I think it's stupid. People are loving the Flash character right now and they are going to try to force another version on people, just makes no sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

Yeah I don't think there's any need for 2 Flashes but truth be told by the time we get the Flash solo film the TV series could be winding down. That being said Grant Gustin has done an excellent job, no reason why he couldn't have gone toe to toe with the likes of Cavill who has underwhelmed me slightly.

I think the separate movie and TV universes is just a symptom of DC and WB being careless with the characters at their disposal a couple of years ago. If Arrow and The Flash were only beginning now I've no doubt they would have been weaved into the cinematic universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

The thing is, they could easily still weave them in. But they're too scared. Gustin is a strong enough actor to carry a solo Flash film and most of his supporting cast would do well in one. But what they're going to do instead is make a 'gritty, edgy' Flash movie to tie in with the rest of the franchise, completely obliterating the actual character, who is one of DCs most fun properties. I don't know why they seem to assume that what worked for Nolan with Batman needs to be replicated across all of their characters but they're really missing the point with it. It's like the people making these movies have never actually read the comics.

• It would be so easy to tie both shows to DC Cinema Universe. Ffs with Arrow, Flash and Atom it's showing how easy it is to have characters interacting, without hurting each other.
    Olly is all gritty, Barry much more lighthearted and Palmer a mix of both. They all play well without everything being brown.

They should have had the big three of Supes, Bats and WW in stand alone films; slightly smaller characters like Flash having a series with potential standalone and characters like Green Arrow and say Atom series only.
    All characters from stand alones and series then tie together in Justice League film(s)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

If they have given the green light for a different Flash in the movies while one is on TV then surely they can let the Flash-Arrow series to introduce any DC character they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭StaticAge11

The only problem I could see is that for the general appeal of the movies, having a character in a tv series and then show up in the movie, some parts of the audience may be alienated as they don't keep up with the series.

I keep up with Arrow and Flash myself, and would love to see them in the Justice league as I believe Gustin and Amell have nailed those characters. But I can see why they won't.

I hope for the Flash movie we get something unique, and not just a rehash of a storyline the tv series has already covered

Can't see a weave happening given Brandon Routh is part of a TV universe. Then again, I don't think the general audience would remember he was Superman. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Have to admit, as a fan of DC over Marvel ,I'm struggling bit time with Arrow and Flash TV series.

There is something about them that annoys me. I think they just don't fit in with all the TV stuff I'm watching at the moment. They are like something I would expect to see on a Saturday afternoon, not primetime adult viewing.

I don't know if it's because the acting is hammy, or corny or something, but I've tried multiple times to get through a few episodes of both and being like " ah **** this ****". I've struggled even with Gotham up until the last two episodes.

Might try get a clear run at Arrow again.

Flash and Arrow are very much CW shows that want the young teen audience so it can be hard to stomach both shows at times. I prefer the Flash though as for me Arrow does a lot of "borrowing" from another certain DC character. The Flash seems to a fully fledged adaptation and must admit that I enjoy it.

Gotham is an infuriating case as often it has a one step forward two steps back kind of thing going on. Ben Mckenzie is still hitting the same bum notes as he was in the pilot which I find disappointing.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    Flash and Arrow are very much CW shows that want the young teen audience so it can be hard to stomach both shows at times. I prefer the Flash though as for me Arrow does a lot of "borrowing" from another certain DC character. The Flash seems to a fully fledged adaptation and must admit that I enjoy it.

Gotham is an infuriating case as often it has a one step forward two steps back kind of thing going on. Ben Mckenzie is still hitting the same bum notes as he was in the pilot which I find disappointing.

Yeah that might be it, that it a bit too "teeny" and I might be assuming it will be more adult themed going by the initial trailers and things that came out. I'm not even a season down into Arrow, but both seem striking.

Episode to episode dealing with a baddie, while giving a little screentime to an underflowing story that will take up the season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,719 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've found both Arrow and Gotham extremely hard to get into: Gotham's a total trainwreck and contains some of the worst writing, plotting and dialogue I've experienced in quite some time from a well-funded, primetime show. A genuine missed opportunity.

Arrow I've not watched as much, but still found it fairly tedious in places. 'teeny' sounds about right: it feels so shallow and empty, full of gloss, perfect hair and angsty romantic triangles that braindead teens would love. Haven't watched The Flash mind you so can't comment.

I've been "told" that Arrow grows out of that **** a little bit, definitely the love interested and triangles made it extremely difficult to get into. I'd scoff and struggle with "love" stuff at the best of times in any show, but Arrow was extremely tedious with a lot of time giving to the **** about the sister and all that jazz.

Gotham I struggled with big time, and felt it was an opportunity missed early on to really catch the hype ahead of the Ben Affleck introduction in the cinemas. However I think the show has got to grips with itself a little in the recent episodes. I think the casting of Gordon is probably the struggle as well. I kind of get annoyed when he is onscreen and find him a bit " too intense" and not sure if revolving the show around him was a wise idea.

Again it's that receipe of ep to ep cop solves case with underlying story going on. On reflection I probably would have warned to the show more if it was centric on Penguin, or even Edward Nigma being more of a centre, with Gordon being an extenstion of that focus.

Not a strictly DC thing though, I gave the Marvel TV shows a quick look and discarded them. With so much top quality TV series on, I guess with me your impressing me early with your first 2 episodes of you sit in my back catalogue :D

OSI wrote: »
    It's funny, I find DC struggle with live action and excel at animation, whereas I find the exact opposite with Marvel. Arrow and The Flash both feel like something you'd have watched on a Saturday afternoon after re-runs of Airwolf or during Live and Kicking in the early 90s or something. They just don't have any immersion factor to them.

The above is exactly the feeling I've had, it's hard to put into a proper descriptive word, but that's basically it.

It just doesn't feel right for essentially prime time TV

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I'll just leave this here

Margot Robbie Confirms Harley Quinn Multi-Picture Deal

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/24/margot-robbie-confirms-harley-quinn-multi-picture-deal/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

Arrow has totally JTS lately, gone from being a solid show to just a bit ridiculous. The DC universe does seem a bit chaotic at the minute. We have seen the suicide squad in Arrow, The Flash has a show already. I think they may regret having different versions of the same characters in play all at the same time. Amanda Waller is gearing up to play a large role in Arrow yet we have a new untied in movie out next year with her suicide squad.

Callanutd wrote: »
    Arrow has totally JTS lately, gone from being a solid show to just a bit ridiculous. The DC universe does seem a bit chaotic at the minute. We have seen the suicide squad in Arrow, The Flash has a show already. I think they may regret having different versions of the same characters in play all at the same time. Amanda Waller is gearing up to play a large role in Arrow yet we have a new untied in movie out next year with her suicide squad.

I think that having them exist as separate entities is a good idea. Much as I enjoy the DC characters and the world I really have no interest in catching up with multiple series of a show such as Arrow so as to know what is going on in the films. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is a show I tried to watch but the first few episodes were dreadful and it may improve as many claim but I have no interest in finding out. If it gets to be a case where I need to watch 22-40 episodes of TV a year so as to keep up with what is happening on the big screen then I won't bother with them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is a show I tried to watch but the first few episodes were dreadful and it may improve as many claim but I have no interest in finding out.

Genuinely it actually does get so so much better. Thought the same as yourself and came back to it recently!

Anyway! Great casting choice in Margot for Harley Quinn

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

cronin_j wrote: »
    Genuinely it actually does get so so much better. Thought the same as yourself and came back to it recently!

At what stages does S.H.I.E.L.D. get better? I'm currently on Season 1 Episode 9 and finding it a hard slog. I keep sticking with it as I've heard it improves and the Coulson subplot has me interested, I just need to know there's light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭Tefral

Loughc wrote: »
    At what stages does S.H.I.E.L.D. get better? I'm currently on Season 1 Episode 9 and finding it a hard slog. I keep sticking with it as I've heard it improves and the Coulson subplot has me interested, I just need to know there's light at the end of the tunnel.

It certainly picks up past ep 12, ep 14 onwards is where it becomes very interesting

cronin_j wrote: »

I have no doubts that it improves but there's so much great TV out there that it's hard to suffer through 12 or so episodes of bad TV in order to get to the good stuff.

• I have no doubts that it improves but there's so much great TV out there that it's hard to suffer through 12 or so episodes of bad TV in order to get to the good stuff.

Remember that attitude would have had Star Trek TNG cancelled immediately.
    It takes time for some shows to find their feet and AoS is pretty much required viewing at this stage

I've found it difficult to invest time in AoS but I'm following the plot just in case I miss any big development for the MCU. I find it quite difficult to watch Whedonesque shows which is funny because I used to love Buffy when I was a kid. There just seems to be a desperation for everyone to have witty dialogue and be cool. I always appreciate the guy's ability to handle an ensemble though.

Anyway, on topic, Leto apparently said he's putting on a lot of weight. The TDKR Joker always seemed quite stocky to me.

Put the Marvel guff in the other thread where it belongs :D

• Advertisement

Remember that attitude would have had Star Trek TNG cancelled immediately.
    It takes time for some shows to find their feet and AoS is pretty much required viewing at this stage

I will give any science fiction show a season to find its feet but honestly the first episodes of Agents of Shield were 90s Power Rangers bad.

Advertisement