Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THe Breakfast roll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

regarding the mushroom roll, the polish have a thing called zapiekanka...lord latherin jaysus I'd horse one of them into me right now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Breakfast roll guy's just aren't the same anymore. 3 young bucks in front of me, dressed head to toe in Snickers gear ordering rolls but insisting on the fat being cut off the rashers and low fat spread on granary rolls.
    Bloody wimps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I worked in a restaurant where this was on the menu. 2 fried eggs, 2 scrambled eggs, 3 jumbo saussies, 2 rashers, black and white pudding, beans, mushrooms, fried potatoes, soda farl, potato bread, toast, brown bread and a pot of yea or coffee.

One food I miss from home. Tesco used to do them, but haven't seen them in a while now.

I know they're not that difficult to make (buttermilk flour and baking soda) but i can never get the time.

Filled soda (sausage, egg, bacon and tomato) in a slightly toasted soda with butter and brown sauce for breakfast.

Couldn't beat it with a big thorny one.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

I love mushrooms on a roll with the dough scooped out. I always feel really embarrassed asking for that but jaysus -onrale

I HATE mushrooms in a breakfast roll. It turns it way too greasy for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

marketty wrote: »
    regarding the mushroom roll, the polish have a thing called zapiekanka...lord latherin jaysus I'd horse one of them into me right now

Had to google it, but have to admit it looks delicious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,694 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I love breakfast rolls in theory, but i make them myself now, just couldnt find anywhere that does them how i like them.

Occasionally I'll grab one from declans on Bolton St though, magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Vile things. A cheap and stodgy roll filled with even cheaper ingredients. Withered looking sausages that have been under lights since they were heated up in an oven 5 hours earlier. Pudding without any of the flavour that makes good black pudding such a beautiful occasional treat. Then drown it in sugary sauce and eat while walking. Yuck.

You are going to the wrong place for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I love breakfast rolls in theory, but i make them myself now, just couldnt find anywhere that does them how i like them.

Engineer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

soda farl, potato bread

Ulster fry territory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Oh god I want rashers and brown sauce so badly now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I think I'll go to the butchers and get proper saussies and proper rashers. I have fresh eggs....clonakilty pudding....maybe mushrooms sauted in garlic butter...nice fresh french baguette

And tea from a pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 epesapart

what about 2 slices of white bread..think white....slightly toasted...2 grilled wrashers across some mosserella,a big fried forest musrhroom,with blood pudding on top...sauce up to yourself...and then a big cold beer...any takers? or am i mentally sick

I don't like ones you buy on deli counters but I do like ones made at home with soft white rolls, Kerrygold, Clonakilty White pudding, superquinn saussies, and a runny egg. Only delish.

Won't be having one of them for a while. Loada shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Sausages, rashers, black pudding, hash browns, a couple of eggs and lashings of brown sauce.
    Palpation city here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

epesapart wrote: »
    what about 2 slices of white bread..think white....slightly toasted...2 grilled wrashers across some mosserella,a big fried forest musrhroom,with blood pudding on top...sauce up to yourself...and then a big cold beer...any takers? or am i mentally sick

But that's not a breakfast roll,its a rasher sambo,no matter how you dicky it up.I do like the idea of a beer with a fry though,reminds me of great drinking holidays with the lads along the Spanish Costas during my teens.In most places a pint of beer is/was included in the price of the breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Partial to the odd breakfast roll but make it myself, as the likes of Spar or Centra are essentially serving congealed Otter anus in a bap.

And that cuisine de france bread is stodgy muck too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Partial to the odd breakfast roll but make it myself, as the likes of Spar or Centra are essentially serving congealed Otter anus in a bap.

I'll also substitute the rashers with Aldi Black Forest ham - grills in very little time, great smoked bacon flavour & none of that weird white gloop emanating from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Has to be a soft roll. Crispy rolls just ruin it.

Better yet, lob it all into regular white bread. That's the business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Tearin It Up

Yum, yum, I'm only getting up now and have a craving for a breakfast roll. I'll make do with what I've got in the fridge, egg, pudding, mushroom sandwich. That can work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

theteal wrote: »
    Its a breakfast bap over here. They're so funny with their quirky little ways

Nothing better than a fully loaded breakfast bap from a greasy spoon!

In the UK they don't do rolls from the deli in supermarkets/petrol stations, it's weird. I remember picking up a roll and going to the deli in ASDA and asking the fella to pack it up with cocktail sausages and bacon, he looked at me like I had 2 heads. Also the same day I found out that to most of the world "sambo" is actually a racial slur and not a sandwich.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

I worked in a restaurant where this was on the menu. 2 fried eggs, 2 scrambled eggs, 3 jumbo saussies, 2 rashers, black and white pudding, beans, mushrooms, fried potatoes, soda farl, potato bread, toast, brown bread and a pot of yea or coffee.

Jaysus, that would put hair on yer chest!
    I want one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Just had bacon and fried eggs with toast and tea.

Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Cafe ones do be very nice, though I agree with you on the convient store ones .

Yeah, forget about spar and centra. But proper greasy spoon cafes can do nice ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Hate eggs, beans or mushrooms on them. Just puddings, sausage and rasher on butter for me.

The more packed the better and either mustard or nothing. Ketchup shouldn't be let near a breakfast roll.

Agreed, although I hate being looked at like I have 3 heads in the shop whenever I ask for a bit of mustard in it - you'd swear I asked if they had any grey poupon! :eek:

Brown sauce is also acceptable in small doses - too many places lorry it on and it ruins it because all you can taste is the brown sauce. Waste of a good roll if you ask me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Rosie Rant

Forget breakfast rolls. Give me a crispy roll with butter, mayonnaise
    ( sometimes taco sauce instead of mayonnaise), mushrooms, cheese and a hot chicken fillet any day. If I could get away with having one of these every day, I would have two! But I haven't had one in so long.

I do like breakfast rolls, but I prefer to make them myself. The rashers are usually too salty in a deli and the sausages too spicy. Superquinn sausages on a roll would be lovely. And you can't beat a buttery white pudding sandwich.

Breakfast roll guy's just aren't the same anymore. 3 young bucks in front of me, dressed head to toe in Snickers gear ordering rolls but insisting on the fat being cut off the rashers.
    Bloody wimps.

I've feckin seen that in quite a few shops - why bother getting a breakfast roll if you're going to be all health conscious about it? Just get something else or fcuk off :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Thanks to this thread, this is what I'm having for my dinner. I'll make it myself. I'm a bit excited. Jesus, I love food.

So do I, I would'nt eat anything else:D

hynesie08 wrote: »

Declans is probably the best of the bunch in Dublin - can't eat them too often, it's heart attack town stuff but by christ they're tasty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

If any of you are working around grafton St, Boland's near the grafton lounge do lovely old school breakfast rolls. I haven't had one in ages as I wouldn't normally eat that heavy in work.

Advertisement