Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THe Breakfast roll

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Many moons ago when I was a college student used to work in a restuarant in town. The breakfasts were so popular, people love them.

We used to do a tea time grill for after 12.00pm- Sauages x 2 , rashers x 2, pudding x 2, pork chop x1 , egg x 2 kidney x 2 , beans and chips, then people would asked you for bread and butter and pot of tea , the plate was huge. This was about 20 years ago and was very popular. I think the kidneys and pork chop would just push me over the edge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Love a breakfast roll every so often but I cannot abide black pudding. Maybe it's because I've never had a nice brand or something but it always tastes like burnt, charred blood to me. Also, beans have no place anywhere. Disgusting little things.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Declans is probably the best of the bunch in Dublin - can't eat them too often, it's heart attack town stuff but by christ they're tasty!

Matt the Rashers in Crumlin do an amazing one too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

there is a place on Marys lane in Dublin city centre which used to do a fantastic breakfast, you wouldn't fit even half of it into a roll!

I think this is it but had a different name when I was last in it, that was very early one morning while getting some soakage in before heading to Slatterys for the "morning shift":pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

cassid wrote: »
    Many moons ago when I was a college student used to work in a restuarant in town. The breakfasts were so popular, people love them.

We used to do a tea time grill for after 12.00pm- Sauages x 2 , rashers x 2, pudding x 2, pork chop x1 , egg x 2 kidney x 2 , beans and chips, then people would asked you for bread and butter and pot of tea , the plate was huge. This was about 20 years ago and was very popular. I think the kidneys and pork chop would just push me over the edge.

The kingfisher?I ask this as its the only place I was ever offered liver with breakfast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    You big culchie! Love it! :pac::p:D

I'm a Dub through and through :P just don't drink tea or coffee! Besides they don't do tea or coffee in the place ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool%27s_Gold_Loaf
    The sandwich consists of a single warmed, hollowed-out loaf of bread filled with the contents of one jar of creamy peanut butter, one jar of grape jelly, and a pound of bacon.

Its believed Elvis was a fan, hence him dying while having a shyte/sneaky w@nk on the jax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

You are so far up your own arse you could crawl out your mouth and turn yourself inside out handily enough. The stench of superiority complex wafting off your almost every post is unbearable.

Superiority complex? Excuse me for offering my opinion that the cheapest sausages, rashers, pudding and eggs delivered onsite and heated up in an oven before being stuffed into a sickly white Cuisine de France 'baguette' doesn't exactly represent haute cuisine. It's cheap and nasty processed food that uses massive amounts of salt to mask the quality of the ingredients. The whole Irish deli thing that you find in Centra, Spar, Mace and Topaz is an example of the very worst type of convenience food. I've nothing against a good fry a few times a year. Queuing up so I can have one shoved into a roll by a surly counter attendant isn't exactly my idea of treating myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

January wrote: »
    I'm a Dub through and through :P just don't drink tea or coffee! Besides they don't do tea or coffee in the place ha!

It was more the referring to it as 'mineral'. :pac:

Queuing up so I can have one shoved into a roll by a surly counter attendant isn't exactly my idea of treating myself.

Not much of a frequenter of deli counters myself, but down the years I have say the people who have served me of them have been very polite on the whole. And when I worked in a deli in college, I made sure I was always polite.

Maybe the lazy generalisations that infest your posts are what betray a superiority complex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Superiority complex? Excuse me for offering my opinion that the cheapest sausages, rashers, pudding and eggs delivered onsite and heated up in an oven before being stuffed into a sickly white Cuisine de France 'baguette' doesn't exactly represent haute cuisine. It's cheap and nasty processed food that uses massive amounts of salt to mask the quality of the ingredients. The whole Irish deli thing that you find in Centra, Spar, Mace and Topaz is an example of the very worst type of convenience food. I've nothing against a good fry a few times a year. Queuing up so I can have one shoved into a roll by a surly counter attendant isn't exactly my idea of treating myself.
    Christ, you talk some sh1te

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Not much of a frequenter of deli counters myself, but down the years I have say the people who have served me of them have been very polite on the whole.

I agree with this but I think AVB is right in everything he says in the rest of his post. The ingredients used in the contents of breakfast rolls in deli counters is pure shítein the culinary sense.

But then, we already know that I suppose and the occasional roll every once in a while won't kill anyone.

But yes, the deli counter staff in the places I go are always nice and friendly. Especially the ones in Centra opposite Galway railway station.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 contactbackup

January wrote: »

what does that actually mean

Lapin wrote: »
    I agree with this but I think AVB is right in everything he says in the rest of his post. The ingredients used in the contents of breakfast rolls in deli counters is pure shítein the culinary sense.

Yeah, it's true. I'd never eat a deli breakfast roll, in fact I'd rarely get any kind of roll or sandwich made up at a deli.

That wasn't my issue though. Superciliously generalising and knocking people who work on delis though - stay classy, AvB!

Lapin wrote: »

But then, we already know that I suppose and the occasional roll every once in a while won't kill anyone.

But yes, the deli counter staff in the places I go are always nice and friendly. Especially the ones in Centra opposite Galway railway station.

Perhaps I was slightly harsh in describing the counter assistants as surly. I'll stand beside the rest of my post though. The whole deli experience in places like Spar and Centra is one of stodge, refined carbs and cheap ingredients. Luridly orange grated cheese that tastes of nothing, chicken that is more water than meat, mayonnaise full of sugar, rolls that barely qualify as bread. It's dreadful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Did anyone ever read/remember the book/witness statements/newspaper articles about the Scissor Sisters from Dublin who got bleedin' marrouiva and stabbed your man on Paddys Day and then cut up his body into teensy pieces? They both had breakfast rolls from their local Centra that morning and it's still something I've difficulty getting my head around. WHY you'd want a breakfast roll full of sausage after cutting off an actual one is just beyond me. Puzzling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Vile things. A cheap and stodgy roll filled with even cheaper ingredients. Withered looking sausages that have been under lights since they were heated up in an oven 5 hours earlier. Pudding without any of the flavour that makes good black pudding such a beautiful occasional treat. Then drown it in sugary sauce and eat while walking. Yuck.

Thought you said eat while **** there :pac:

prefer to make it myself as the bread you get when out is normally a lower grade. grilled bacon, poached egg and I've been known to add a few sliced mushrooms. Bacon can be replaced with Irish breakfast sausages. It has to been eaten sitting down, never walking.

I aspire to live my life in everyway that you detest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

God I'd kill for one right now...

Any takers?

....:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I aspire to live my life in everyway that you detest.

why? he has a point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What will their breakfast set you back?

€15.50, Father..

Certainly not for those that only eat a small amount and maybe drink one cup of tea for breakfast but if you're the type that has a large breakfast and could easily polish off another, and washes it down with a pot of tea or a few cups of coffee, then it's defo worth the expense. They have all sorts of other breakfast stuff there too, selection of cereals, kippers and the like. Michelin breakfast star from me anyway.

Has anyone ever been in Gallahers beside the Screen Cinema? Has a reputation for being a great place for a breakfast roll but I just worked out that a 2 rashers, 2 sausages, 2 eggs, 2 pudding roll (which are only available from 10am to 11.30am) would set you back €14.50! They have to be taking the Michael.

http://www.gallahersbistro.com/menu.html.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

They're overrated..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

If only there was a brekkie roll celebration song of some sorts....

why? he has a point

Yeah he does, in his over inflated hole:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Brown sauce is the devils work

It is getting far too much love in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

No need for sauce if the roll consists of butchers white pudding and a runny egg.

I would wolfe one right now.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Vile things. A cheap and stodgy roll filled with even cheaper ingredients. Withered looking sausages that have been under lights since they were heated up in an oven 5 hours earlier. Pudding without any of the flavour that makes good black pudding such a beautiful occasional treat. Then drown it in sugary sauce and eat while walking. Yuck.

Agreed.

But pork sausages or those delicious Cumberlands or Leek and Garlic Lancashires trump those radioactive red and sewery kanckwursts and those appalling krackauer things you get in Germany. What were those other vile abominations that my Austrian sister in law eats.....those revolting grey things that she peels the skin off and then has with tasteless rye brot.
    I must admit a dozen Nuremberegers on a bed of proper sauerkraut is a tasty treat (but only with a belly full of beer).
    A good fresh fry up from Ireland is classical and in fresh bread....beats all breakfasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Rotten stuff.

• Advertisement

Egginacup wrote: »
    Agreed.

But pork sausages or those delicious Cumberlands or Leek and Garlic Lancashires trump those radioactive red and sewery kanckwursts and those appalling krackauer things you get in Germany. What were those other vile abominations that my Austrian sister in law eats.....those revolting grey things that she peels the skin off and then has with tasteless rye brot.
    I must admit a dozen Nuremberegers on a bed of proper sauerkraut is a tasty treat (but only with a belly full of beer).
    A good fresh fry up from Ireland is classical and in fresh bread....beats all breakfasts.

I agree. There are cheap and nasty sausages sold here in Germany by the trolley load. Sausages were never high cuisine anyway as they were a way of using otherwise difficult to cook or unwanted cuts of meat. However some of the artisan wursts sold here are fantastic. My local butcher, Gref-Völsings, speciales in a range of sausages that are simply incredible. Incredibly bad for your cholesterol as well, so they are an occasional treat. Wolfing down a fry twice a week after 20 pints is a dramatic shortcut on the way to the ICU of your local hospital.

Advertisement