Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things that inexplicably turn you against someone

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

People who believe in mediums, psychics, fortune tellers etc... what a crock of sheeeite! Don't be so fcking gullible!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But in terms of revenue stream is there not much more to be made from a continuous treatment than a cure. Again, Im really not specifying cancer given the various types and, as you pointed out, the nature of it.

I'm not sure of that myself. It's generally best to capitalise on an opportunity you have as opposed to one which may not arise.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Sociopath2

kowloon wrote: »
    You're ruining it for the rest of us!

I think I'm becoming more tolerant with time. For example: I might think wearing skinny jeans with the arse hanging down is stupid looking and impractical, but I try not to let it bias me against a person. The same goes for any aspect of how they look, where they come from and so on.

I find lack of empathy and narcissism to be bad qualities in a person, but that's not so inexplicable.

Strange, I find lack of empathy and narcissism to be acceptable, if not desirable qualities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,827 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Funny enough, people who come out with statements like the above.

You show a complete ignorance of how some alternative therapies have changed people's lives where the medical system had failed them and many times, almost killed them.

I'm not pretending to know everything. These "therapies" have been scientifically disproven and the only legitimate benefit can be explained by the placebo effect.
    There is no such thing as "anti-vaxxers". It's a term coined by people such as yourself who wish to strawman their position (in an effort to discredit them) which of course is simple the vaccine schedule and not give so many different vaccines to children in one go and also to remove as many toxins from vaccines as possible. Calling such people "anti-vaxxers" is just a way of condescendingly dismissing them off as being hysterical.

I'm old enough to remember people like yourself sneering at the prospect that radon gas in people's homes could be causing cancer.

So?

Do you think scientists are immune from being wrong or something? Immune from being manipulated to show one thing and not another. Science is wildly abused, particularly in the medical arena.

Chaps such as yourself are always telling people to read Bad Science by Ben Goldacre. Well, might I suggest you read Ben's other book which funnily enough, doesn't nearly as often get cited. Wonder why.

I'll believe in anything as long as it is backed up by evidence. I only "sneer" at nonsense which has been proven to be such. I'm fed up of people moaning on and on about toxins in vaccines and such. There's a whole industry based on "toxin removal" now and if people want to fritter away money on that then that's their choice.

I've read Big Pharma. I never said that the industry was universally benevolent. It's just what happens when private companies are the only ones developing new therapies.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

• Grown men who think misogyny is really funny.Replying to random threads that mention a woman/that are posted by a woman asking for pics of her, kitchen jokes, blah blah blah. Grow up....
    • People who claim to be vegetarian but have no problem eating fish. Either killing an animal for food is wrong or it isn't, which is it?
    • Religious people who cannot accept that not everybody shares their beliefs.
    • Women who insult other women for being slimmer than them with jibes like "skinny bitch". You don't go up to an overweight woman and call her a fat bitch do you?
    • Similarly, women who boast about how they are "not girly" as if being feminine is something to be ashamed of. If I want to paint my nails every day I will, I don't have to answer to you.
    • People who think they are superior because they don't like pop music. We don't choose what we like. I listen to certain music because I like how it sounds, which I believe is the whole point of music, not to make yourself feel smug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Men with comb overs. Jesus, just embrace the baldness and shave your head !!

People who look at you like you are sub human when you say you don't like animals. I don't hurt them, I'm not a monster FFS :(. Giraffes are pretty cool though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

Anybody showing even the vaguest propensity to being a drama junkie. Please. Let me go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Magenta wrote: »
    • Grown men who think misogyny is really funny.Replying to random threads that mention a woman/that are posted by a woman asking for pics of her, kitchen jokes, blah blah blah. Grow up....
    • People who claim to be vegetarian but have no problem eating fish. Either killing an animal for food is wrong or it isn't, which is it?
    • Religious people who cannot accept that not everybody shares their beliefs.
    • Women who insult other women for being slimmer than them with jibes like "skinny bitch". You don't go up to an overweight woman and call her a fat bitch do you?
    • Similarly, women who boast about how they are "not girly" as if being feminine is something to be ashamed of. If I want to paint my nails every day I will, I don't have to answer to you.
    • People who think they are superior because they don't like pop music. We don't choose what we like. I listen to certain music because I like how it sounds, which I believe is the whole point of music, not to make yourself feel smug.

I think you should include atheists who cannot accept that not everybody share their beliefs also.

I had a friend on Facebook who went on a big tangent about religion yesterday because it was Ash Wednesday and said he" was going to to get a big meaty pizza" Nobody is forcing him to abstain from eating meat.

If he's an atheist so be it, But don't start attacking religion so you can get a supercilious satisfaction out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

I think you should include atheists who cannot accept that not everybody share their beliefs also.

I had a friend on Facebook who went on a big tangent about religion yesterday because it was Ash Wednesday and said he" was going to to get a big meaty pizza" Nobody is forcing him to eat meat.

If he's an atheist so be it, But don't start attacking religion so you can get a supercilious satisfaction out of it.

Is eating meat on Ash Wednesday attacking religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

People who go on and on about their beliefs and try to dictate other people how they should live their lives. Just mind your own business and leave the rest of us be!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

lazygal wrote: »
    When I was young and carefree and looking for a fella, nothing put me off a man more than him having a jumper or coat tied around his waist. Nothing.

If I hear anyone linking vaccines with autism, I don't want to know them.

My husband ties his jumper around his waist, it really makes me cringe. He's 32!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

lazygal wrote: »
    When I was young and carefree and looking for a fella, nothing put me off a man more than him having a jumper or coat tied around his waist. Nothing.
    My husband ties his jumper around his waist, it really makes me cringe. He's 32!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

I'm a fairly introverted person and if I meet someone new and they make a stupid comment about me being quiet/shy then that's usually it for me, I'm not going to like that person.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

miezekatze wrote: »
    I'm a fairly introverted person and if I meet someone new and they make a stupid comment about me being quiet/shy then that's usually it for me, I'm not going to like that person.

All the "it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for " comments. Hate it! They are usually the ones who are overly loud, just because they love the sound of their own voice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

People who pretend to know what your on about or explaining, rather than putting the hands up and admitting the know fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

People who pretend to know what your on about or explaining, rather than putting the hands up and admitting the know fcuk all.

Or worse, people talking with authority about a subject they're entirely ignorant of.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

73Cat wrote: »
    Men with comb overs. Jesus, just embrace the baldness and shave your head !!

People who look at you like you are sub human when you say you don't like animals. I don't hurt them, I'm not a monster FFS :(. Giraffes are pretty cool though.

This is me. I would never like to see an animal hurt or mistreated but I'm just not really interested in them. I have no opinion either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Rudeness, haughtiness, self-entitlement, looking down on others and people who will not accept when they are wrong are some of my pet peeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

73Cat wrote: »
    All the "it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for " comments. Hate it! They are usually the ones who are overly loud, just because they love the sound of their own voice.

Ha! "You're a dark horse" is one I get.

There's an awful load of loud mouths where I work, women mainly, who blurt out their entire life stories to each other for all to hear.

I'm sitting quietly at my desk most of the time so when I do laugh at work, it's a loud belly laugh which startles the whole floor.

People are also shocked when I swear. I have a filthy tongue, but you won't hear it unless you're in my immediate vicinity.

Anyway: I take an instant dislike to loud mouths.

Overly extroverted types can annoy me, like asking too many personal questions when we just met.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭johnson1

people who think it's ok to scream and shout at retail staff, sometimes the aggression is incredible. I can never understand their logic, do they really think the guy on minimum wage has any say or power to help them ? or a direct line to the CEO ? Also the sunglasses indoors is an instant no no.

People who are pedantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭CarPark2

People who do big massive spits on the street, massive hockaloogys..i just want to run up and burst them :mad:

People who flick fag butts out of their car window, or just drop them on the street as they walk. Who do they think goes around picking up their waste?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

People who are obsessed with pop culture, you can have an interest in whatever you damn please, but having an 'interest' in everything that become popular and continuously harping about it. No one gives a ****

Really religious people, and ignorant atheists. Ignorant people in general.

If you have a stupid hair colour like purple, obnoxiously crush cans when you're finished drinking and discuss your sexuality the first time you meet someone, you're probably an arsehole.

And finally, people who make straw man arguments, I.e. 80% of AH :P

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭pojfexcsc

Business suited aul fellas with a scarf resting around their neck with both ends on their guts.

Sanctimonious dopes you see correcting spelling when 2 or 3 years ago they would of been saying "Alri gr8 nite wasnt it".

People dying to get sleeve tattoos with aloada religious symbols that they dont even believe in, bring on the next trendy heap of ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Smugness I hate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Drinker
    Smoker
    Drug User
    Tattooed
    Religious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

People who are pedantic.

That's a sentence fragment.

Schwiiing wrote: »
    Drinker
    Smoker
    Drug User
    Tattooed
    Religious

Heavy drinker, or is any consumption of alcohol abhorrent to you?

• Advertisement

That's a sentence fragment.

It took me a minute to get that. I was wondering why you were being so pedantic!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement