Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did some detailing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Foam lance control knob turned fully right give thickest foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

myshirt wrote: »
    Anyone using a CPW to soften up the dirt?

I used to throw a dart of concentrated citrus cleaner into my snow foam solution,(and it definitely boosted cleaning power), but I stopped when Ronnie pointed out over on DW that the chemical reaction between the two could potentially create a toxic gas!:eek:

I'd have no problem using a citrus cleaner on a motor that was due to be stripped prior to reapplication of a wax, or on the likes of a commercial vehicle that wouldn't have wax on it anyway, as citrus is a natural solvent and will diminish/remove wax over a period of time determined by factors such as concentration and frequency of use.

BTW over ten years ago we used to use a citrus detarring agent made here in Dublin and it was brilliant stuff.Think it was called Nature Solve.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 sakrist

I've restored my headlights on Golf mk5

Here is pic http_//i.gyazo.com/8262d94e93716ae2b01fa4f5807ddf9a.png

Can't post images properly :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Would this be any good lads? Any patch on a decent wet vac? Would it bring up seats like that of a valet, ie. taking all the sh1t out of them? Decent price, don't want to go paying over 200 for one. Be handy to have for one's own use, instead of bringing the car somewhere when the seats get bad.

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=20598

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Howdy folks, been mainly posting in the projects thread the last while, but my 166 was in for a week with Ian in elite auto clean for a full bodywork overhaul. The car was wet sanded numerous times with varying degrees of grit and then polished back, on top of all the other prep work involved.

The paintwork wasn't great when the car went in, but it turned out stunning. I'm just going to link the last page of my thread to show the end results.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057203558&page=7

Thought it would be good to show it and if anyone had any questions fire away. As for Ian, well I can't recommend him enough. A complete gent. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Great job on the 166, looks immaculate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Fantastic looking, and a great colour to have detailed; it would have been great to work on....bring it back to life and getting that pop back in the paintwork!!

Treat the paintwork like it has the skin of a tomato, and it will look that good for at least 3-5 years! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Would this be any good lads? Any patch on a decent wet vac? Would it bring up seats like that of a valet, ie. taking all the sh1t out of them? Decent price, don't want to go paying over 200 for one. Be handy to have for one's own use, instead of bringing the car somewhere when the seats get bad.

I'm wondering the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Probably wouldn't be great for 'pro' use, but for the price, surely worth a punt?

• Advertisement

Will be better than no vac! :)
    The George Numatic is 1200W and this is 1300W, so as powerful. It wont have the sprayer for detergent, like a traditional wet vac, such as the George; so you will have to spray on product, give it a scrub and then vac it out. Drawing any amount of water from the seats will be better than nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

ought one of those lidl ones around 4 years ago and it's fantastic.

as above, you need to mix up a warm soapy solution yourself and work it in with a sponge or nail brush, but the extraction is pretty decent, leaves the seats virtually dry!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Curran wrote: »
    Fantastic looking, and a great colour to have detailed; it would have been great to work on....bring it back to life and getting that pop back in the paintwork!!

Treat the paintwork like it has the skin of a tomato, and it will look that good for at least 3-5 years! ;)

You didn't hear how many hours Ian was working on it for did you?
    I don't know how detailers make any decent money, when you consider the amount of labour and skill that had to be put into that 166

You didn't hear how many hours Ian was working on it for did you?

No, I did not, but wet sanding on a few different grits and polishing back up to that finish, I can well imagine how many hours went into it!! And reckon Ive done similar on one or two cars! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

ought one of those lidl ones around 4 years ago and it's fantastic.

as above, you need to mix up a warm soapy solution yourself and work it in with a sponge or nail brush, but the extraction is pretty decent, leaves the seats virtually dry!

What are they like for carpets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭JAMES VTI S

I detailed this week old 4x4 a while back, my friend wanted the interior surfaces protected and the exterior revived and then protected also.

First off the body was foamed.

DSCF1038_zpser4wpljr.jpg

And the wheels were cleaned, both the face and drum.

20150201_093506_zpsolisfc2y.jpg

20150201_093520_zpsebghy5fi.jpg

The ledges, jambs, crack and crevices were cleaned with APC and a brush.

20150201_095552_zpsxuuv7nuj.jpg

The the exterior was washed using a two bucket system.

DSCF1039_zpsaovkcmbt.jpg

Now the body was ready for decontamination.

First was to remove all tar deposits, also on the wheels.

20150201_100454_zps4dlhk7vb.jpg

Next was to clay the paint.

20150201_102512_zpsjvqig31i.jpg

I washed the exterior again and dried it ready for polishing.

Some before and afters.

DSCF1042_zpsegausvzs.jpg

DSCF1043_zpsazs5fnrs.jpg

The finish was then sealed.

DSCF1044_zpsurz3qhy4.jpg

On to the interior and it got a good cleaning before protecting the surfaces.

DSCF1045_zpshlxdqyjj.jpg

IMG_1334_zpscj6o418l.jpg

IMG_1356_zpsqdfhpc4r.jpg

IMG_1338_zpsgahemzdx.jpg

IMG_1340_zpsjfkokagv.jpg

IMG_1337_zpsfhvwo4h9.jpg

IMG_1357_zpswvbzbecn.jpg

IMG_1354_zpsreesijh3.jpg

IMG_1341_zpsuscoiqwz.jpg

IMG_1355_zpslvi9kpvf.jpg

IMG_1343_zps060d5nbb.jpg

IMG_1344_zpsgpqtr7zd.jpg

IMG_1347_zps4w2chvje.jpg
    life's a journey not a destination

Thanks for looking

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Your "friend" me hole :pac:

Dont forget your customers! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Not as good as some peoples work but much needed. Wash, polish, and protected.

car1_zpscu5sm9kr.jpg

The before and after

after_zpsglrocqp9.jpg

before_zpsexxyb3fx.jpg

How is my beeding?

beeding_zpsewu7ve3b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Not a bad job at all but did you really think we were going to be able to make out your disc particulars from that distance? :D

Not a bad job at all but did you really think we were going to be able to make out your disc particulars from that distance? :D

:p thought someone might comment on that. I'm amazed by the amount of times I see people on this forum comment on making out discs so I though I ought to.

That and I was embarrassed by the fact that I realised this week while taxing my car I ha incidentally forgot to put my instance disk in the car in September so could have been done for failing to display for the last 6 months. All sorted now though

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bbari

Probably this is what he meant by "Wash, polish, and PROTECTED." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Not a bad job at all but did you really think we were going to be able to make out your disc particulars from that distance? 

Its a Dublin reg golf, bought from western motors in Galway. We have em!! (if it's not western, it's very similar to their surround)

Its a Dublin reg golf, bought from western motors in Galway. We have em!! (if it's not western, it's very similar to their surround)

Close very close but not 100%. Didn't realise me covering the details would cause as much controversy as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭cena

Lovely BMW above

Thanks, Cena it's very nice indeed, the interior is beautiful.

Not quite a 151 BMW, but I made a start on the 'ould Focus today. Unfortunately I forgot my SD card for the camera i had, so only had the phone. So I didn't really bother taking many photos. I did grab an 'iron cleanse wheel' photo and a poorly lit interior photo (that shows nothing really).

Today I did some... Snow foaming, rinsing, 2BM'ing (With AutoGlym Shampoo), De-Ironing wheels (OAC Iron Cleanse), wheel cleaning (AutoGlym wheel clean) and claying. Then I went inside with the hoover and the steam cleaner and went at the seats and the ceiling mostly, and to a lesser extent the floor carpets.

Still not entirely happy with my seat efforts. The seat in the photo below looks patchy, but that was just after having been getting messed with. Hopefully tomorrow it'll look better (the car is staying in the shed overnight, and probably overnight tomorrow night, too).

FA90E611B5A74AC98EE2CF4CDD9E04BF-0000333410-0003728508-01200L-43E07196A5D34D0582211C55179251CA.jpg

C2AFBC411DE24DF895E1374457D69821-0000333410-0003728507-01200L-D55DE306550A45A3BE7968DBC674A1ED.jpg

2C68C958A51D45E3A1D10BC601E1B075-0000333410-0003728505-01200L-1A6E8BE25A004BAE893C803A368CFB6B.jpg

D29B229099DD418E8076F98A02E46FB4-0000333410-0003728506-01200L-059645FD95E84888AF988D1B72BA9D19.jpg

Strangely enough, I never really looked at them in person, but just from looking at the photos there, I reckon those tyres are on their last treads...

But anyway, other than that when I go back at it tomorrow morning the aim is to get the DAS6 out and start machining from the front, and spend more time inside with the hoover and steam cleaner. Depending on how I'm fixed for time, and my enthusiasm levels, I'll start taking the wheels off then, I think.

(I might actually polish a panel or two, do the interior, polish a panel or two, take a wheel off, etc. just to keep a bit of variety in it, rather than one thing at a time and machine polishing for hours on end).

There was dirt on the outside of the car (mostly at the front of the doors, where it would have been slung up by the wheels), that I tried to get off with a sponge, a wash mitt, an MF towel, boiling water, steam cleaner, etc. and it wouldn't budge. Ended up having to take it off by picking it at it for ages with the nails on my thumbs. I wonder how long that dirt is there.

Also, the clay I used was literally black when it was going over some of the 'trouble' areas on the lower of the car. Raging I didn't have a better camera, but for a car that didn't really look too dirty in the first place - fcuk me! :eek: It was filthy.

And there was a snail living in the boot...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

And there was a snail living in the boot...

Is it one of those endangered species of snail? Better relocate it fast before you are forced to build a tunnel under your garage for it.

Advertisement