Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Mickeroo wrote: »
    DOFP was better than any marve producedl movie to date imo.

I'd put Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy ahead of most of the X-Men films.

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely thought X2 and First Class were brilliant films, and DOFP was great (the future action scenes, and McAvoy/Fassbender particularly). But they have messed up so many of the best characters and have so many continuity errors that even the big reset button at the end of DOFP doesn't correct half of them.

It's all opinion at the end of the day, I'd just much rather Marvel being given a clean slate and doing their version of it. I think they could do a great take on it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I'm happy for them to say separate, but I'd be equally happy to see Marvel take a crack at it. I'd put almost anything MCU than the x-men films personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I'd put Avengers, Iron Man 3, Thor, Captain America 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy ahead of most of the X-Men films.

Don't get me wrong, I genuinely thought X2 and First Class were brilliant films, and DOFP was great (the future action scenes, and McAvoy/Fassbender particularly). But they have messed up so many of the best characters and have so many continuity errors that even the big reset button at the end of DOFP doesn't correct half of them.

It's all opinion at the end of the day, I'd just much rather Marvel being given a clean slate and doing their version of it. I think they could do a great take on it all.

I would agree with you with the exception of Iron man 3 which I thought was a childish mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I would agree with you with the exception of Iron man 3 which I thought was a childish mess.

Only the first Iron man mavie was any good, in my opinion...

here is an explanation why Iron Man 3 is identical to Lethal weapon 2... :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Please tell me they are not doing the Spider Man origin story again? Whatever you think about the various films since 2002, to do essentially the same story a third time in fifteen years is a little too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Penn

icdg wrote: »
    Please tell me they are not doing the Spider Man origin story again? Whatever you think about the various films since 2002, to do essentially the same story a third time in fifteen years is a little too much.

I'd say with Marvel co-producing, and Spidey appearing in a Marvel film first, I'd say they'll just skip the origin story. Just have him give a brief explanation of it to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,612 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Wouldn't make sense to have him feature in Civil War as an already established superhero, then do an origins movie. Thank god too, sick of seeing uncle Ben die at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

They could get away with doing just a soft reboot i.e. the Staceys are dead and Peter is guilt ridden over what he perceives to be his role in Gwen's death, thus having him wade in on the side of Tony Stark in Cap 3 in regards for Superheroes to be held accountable for their actions.

The only problem is how do you explain Peter's absence thus far. One way around it is a time jump for phase 3.

Jon Stark wrote: »
    They could get away with doing just a soft reboot i.e. the Staceys are dead and Peter is guilt ridden over what he perceives to be his role in Gwen's death, thus having him wade in on the side of Tony Stark in Cap 3 in regards for Superheroes to be held accountable for their actions.

The only problem is how do you explain Peter's absence thus far. One way around it is a time jump for phase 3.

Well if Iron Man/Thor/Hulk/Hawkeye can go missing for Captain America 2 I think Spidey being out of view till now would not be that hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Fairly easy to introduce Spidey to the MCU without redoing the origin. In the opening credits of The Incredible Hulk, the did Hulk's entire origin story in about 3 mins with visuals only. If they do same or similar for Spidey, all is well. He doesn't have to be an established hero for this all to work. They do the origin in the credits followed by images of Daily Bugle articles titled things like "Spider-Man: Friend or Foe" etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Please get JK Simmons back as Jameson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

cloud493 wrote: »
    Please get JK Simmons back as Jameson.

If he wins the Oscar I couldn't see him bothering to come back to a spidey movie for 4 minutes of screen time tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

They can't go doing Spider-man's origin again for a 3rd time in just over a decade!

Nobody watching an MCU film is gonna go whose that guy if he just lands up! If they know who Thor and those other guys are ;) they will know who spidey is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

SteM wrote: »
    If he wins the Oscar I couldn't see him bothering to come back to a spidey movie for 4 minutes of screen time tbh.

From the range of roles he's taken on and the way he sounds in interviews, I can't see him thinking he's above such roles.

He comes across as pretty sound.

Can't link as I'm on the mobile but just go to Screenrant, there's a very recent article where Simmons not only suggests that he's open to returning but that there might have actually been discussions already.

Edit Turns out I can link but boards won't let me because I'm a new user. #notroll

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Can't link as I'm on the mobile but just go to Screenrant, there's a very recent article where Simmons not only suggests that he's open to returning but that there might have actually been discussions already.

Edit Turns out I can link but boards won't let me because I'm a new user. #notroll
    http://screenrant.com/new-spider-man-movie-j-k-simmons-returning/

Is that the link?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    They can't go doing Spider-man's origin again for a 3rd time in just over a decade!

Why not, they've done with every single adaptation of Batman on the big and small screen! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,544 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Here's the poster for the next Spiderman Origin film

Groundhog_Day_(movie_poster).jpg

edit: should have really stuck Spidey's head on there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why not, they've done with every single adaptation of Batman on the big and small screen! ;)

It's the doing it three times in fifteen years in the same medium by the same studio that's the problem. While they did the origin story in Batman Begins, they only touched on it in Tim Burton's one (nearly 20 years prior) and he came fully formed in the 1960s film (23 years prior to that)

pixelburp wrote: »

I'd say nobody should do another Batman origin again any time soon too.

In regards to Spiderman though, I think 3 origin stories in 14-15 years would be a bit much.

I just think they will be using up screen time showing us something we know too well at this stage and the time could be better spent doing something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

humanji wrote: »

That Screenrant quote is from an interview he did on the Stern show which I heard - I listen to his show all the time. I think SR are taking one off the cuff comment out of a 60 minute interview and making a story out of it - I don't even remember hearing that quote if I'm being honest. You can hear the whole interview on Youtube if you want - he spends more time talking about being a voice in M&M commercials!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Itk6K-c-qBQ

If he wins the Oscar he'll be offered much more high profile jobs, unless Jameson is given a bigger role in the next Spider-man movie then I can't see it happening.

SteM wrote: »
    That Screenrant quote is from an interview he did on the Stern show which I heard - I listen to his show all the time. I think SR are taking one off the cuff comment out of a 60 minute interview and making a story out of it - I don't even remember hearing that quote if I'm being honest. You can hear the whole interview on Youtube if you want - he spends more time talking about being a voice in M&M commercials!

If he wins the Oscar he'll be offered much more high profile jobs, unless Jameson is given a bigger role in the next Spider-man movie then I can't see it happening.
    Par for the course with SR unfortunately, their articles mostly consist of taking an isolated quote or some info that arose elsewhere and surrounding it with their own fluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Garfield's out!

Back to high school again. I think there was a story awhile back where Marvel wanted to focus the balance between being a hero and a teenager. I wouldn't mind that but I really don't want another love story.

Meh teen angst. Put him in college FFS where you can actually cast a 20+ year old to play a 20+ year old

FunLover18 wrote: »

I am disappointed with that news to be honest. I quite liked him as Peter Parker. Mark Webb gone too.

I still find it unreal that a Studio would abandon the 3rd film (and its spin offs) in the their franchise and reboot it again.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I am disappointed with that news to be honest. I quite liked him as Peter Parker. Mark Webb gone too.

I still find it unreal that a Studio would abandon the 3rd film (and its spin offs) in the their franchise and reboot it again.

And, by the rumoured accounts, it was the studio's interference with Webb in 2 that caused that sh1tfest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I never took to Spiderman as a kid, and the original three films I didn't like one bit. I was kind of taking to Garfield, pity.

The Spiderman animated series of the 90's was fairly cool in all fairness

The Spiderman animated series of the 90's was fairly cool in all fairness

As a big fan of Batman the animated series, I could not get into the spiderman series as it paled in comparison and the animation was poor. (I was fussy when it came to my cartoons).

I really took to Garfield as Spiderman and its a pity he out.

But it will still be cool to see Spiderman in the Avengers and other films. Even if its a new version.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,458 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Garfield out fair enough.

But I say bring back Emma Stone.

Advertisement